A1 temptation, so...

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
OP Old Pirate Senior Member • Posts: 1,513
Re: A1 temptation, so...

After a few days with the A1 I can say this:

The comments here to keep the A7riv and trade my A9ii proved to be excellent advice due to the kind of photography I enjoy and I appreciate those that did.

I like bird photography and the bird eye AF takes it to another level over the A9ii.  The images are as rich as the A7riv.  The AF is faster than the A9ii and stickier.

I haven't had any issues with the camera and I have used several lenses in it including the 16-35 GM with no issues.

For portraits and landscapes, Rotary meetings and church socials I will put a prime on my A7riv and be perfectly satisfied.

But if birds are flying or balls are in the air then the A1 is clearly superior.  The ability to shoot in APS C mode with the A1 and still have plenty of room to crop and retain a 4k image makes it hands down more usable than the 9ii to me.  I shoot small birds.

For the time being I stop my ISO at 8k for the A7riv, but can go 12,800 with no trouble on the A1.  So better in low light.  To me, a tie with the A9ii.

I needed a back up camera.  The A1 is the best camera I have ever owned across the board.  For image quality in decent light the A7riv is as good as any I have ever owned and I already owned it.   So with this advice I kept it.

I used to fish all the time and bought many boats over the years getting to my 72 years of age so the price of an A1 is relative, and in comparison to what was, in terms of a hobby.... cheap. 😁

The A1 exceeds my needs and satisfies my wants and buyers remorse has never shown up.  I don't know what else to say.

Old Pirate's gear list:Old Pirate's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony a1 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS +7 more
Beatsy
Beatsy Senior Member • Posts: 1,182

That was quick. Great to hear you found your happy place - photographically speaking.  Thanks for the feedback too.

Beatsy's gear list:Beatsy's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a9 Sony a7R IV Sony a1 Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro +16 more
DuxX
DuxX Contributing Member • Posts: 948

Then... good luck and happy shooting

-- hide signature --

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Dusko Jovic / DuxX /
https://duskojovic.pixieset.com/showroom/

DuxX's gear list:DuxX's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EOS R Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
SrMi
SrMi Senior Member • Posts: 2,401

Old Pirate wrote:

The comments here to keep the A7riv and trade my A9ii proved to be excellent advice due to the kind of photography I enjoy and I appreciate those that did.

I like bird photography and the bird eye AF takes it to another level over the A9ii. The images are as rich as the A7riv. The AF is faster than the A9ii and stickier.

I haven't had any issues with the camera and I have used several lenses in it including the 16-35 GM with no issues.

For portraits and landscapes, Rotary meetings and church socials I will put a prime on my A7riv and be perfectly satisfied.

While A7rIV is perfectly fine for those venues, why would you use A7rIV instead of your A1?

<snip>

OP Old Pirate Senior Member • Posts: 1,513

SrMi wrote:

Old Pirate wrote:

I like bird photography and the bird eye AF takes it to another level over the A9ii. The images are as rich as the A7riv. The AF is faster than the A9ii and stickier.

While A7rIV is perfectly fine for those venues, why would you use A7rIV instead of your A1?

I didn't say I would. I said I would be perfectly satisfied to do so. I was merely trying to say that there aren't a lot of gains in those areas, but for fast action it is in another league completely, and because of the megapixels, surpasses the A9ii in the action stuff I enjoy doing because small birds are small targets.

Old Pirate's gear list:Old Pirate's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony a1 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS +7 more
ZilverHaylide Senior Member • Posts: 1,260

SrMi wrote:

Old Pirate wrote:

<snip>

To prevent God from getting jealous?

SrMi

ZilverHaylide wrote:

SrMi wrote:

Old Pirate wrote:

<snip>

I am pretty sure God is shooting film ;-).

Porsche 91730 Regular Member • Posts: 249

Hi Old Pirate:

I decided to buy the Sony A1 (the “A1”) a month ago and received delivery of my A1 from Adorama two weeks ago. The dpreview review as well as the reports of actual purchasers of the A1 convinced me that it would be the best camera for me.  In my view, the A1 is a real game changer.

Best Regards,

-- hide signature --

Roman

Jason Switzer Regular Member • Posts: 115

Rob J wrote:

You (and likely many others) are not going to like my opinion but I'm going to throw it out there anyway for what it's worth. (probably nothing).

I too, am sorely tempted by the A1. When considering the actual purchase though, I ask myself the following questions.

Will an Ai blow the photos that I'm getting from my A7rIII out of the water? Will I take much better travel, BIF, portraits, landscapes than I do now? Will the photos that come out of an Ai be obvious to even the most sophisticated viewer that they were taken with a superior camera? Will this camera somehow improve my skill level and make me a significantly better photographer than I am now?

The answer to all of those question for me is NO.

Sure, there is a possibility that I may get more "keepers" with an A1, but I shoot 4-5 days out of any given week and I get more keepers now than I can, well - keep up with, just shooting with my A7RIII. (and previously with my Lumix G9 before moving to FF).

Now, if you've got a pile of cash sitting around that just needs to be spent, and owning an A1 for the sake of owning it would make you feel good, then go for it. Life is short and getting shorter with each passing day.

I'm not saying that I personally will never own an A1. As I have mentioned, I am sorely tempted. For the time being though, I'm pretty content with what I have. If I were to buy another camera at this point, I'd likely buy another A7RIII body as a backup. But, that's just me.

Good luck with your decision. We all want what we want.

I’m with you. Don’t get me wrong... the A1 looks AMAZING and I’m sure I would love shooting with it, but my A9 is also pretty great too. I dig the extra MPs for greater detail, but honestly, I’d personally be better off buying better glass than a new body. All that being said, I’m sure I’ll pick up an A1 one day. I’d just rather swap my 35 ZA 1.4 for a 35 GM and pick up a hopefully lighter 70-200 II GM instead (God, I hope it’s as lightweight or even lighter as the Canon).

Anyway, I somehow managed to take the OP’s post and make it about me! Given what the A1 can do, he (she?) could probably sell the A7R and A9 and just consolidate with 1 body, right? OP would get blazing fast speed and a very high MP count without having to carry two bodies for specialized shooting. OP would lose some MP off of the A7R, but what are a few MP here and there? If you feel like you’re missing out, just take a few extra shots and stitch the images together... voila! Even more MP than the A7R.

-- hide signature --

www.jasonswitzerphotography.com
FB: www.facebook.com/jasonswitzerphotography
Insta: jswitzerphoto

Jason Switzer's gear list:Jason Switzer's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Sony a9 Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +10 more
Beatsy

SrMi wrote:

ZilverHaylide wrote:

SrMi wrote:

<snip>

I am pretty sure God is shooting film ;-).

Engraving stone tablets, surely

Sony a7R II Sony a9 Sony a7R IV Sony a1 Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro +16 more
joger
joger Veteran Member • Posts: 7,132

Rob J wrote:

You (and likely many others) are not going to like my opinion but I'm going to throw it out there anyway for what it's worth. (probably nothing).

I too, am sorely tempted by the A1. When considering the actual purchase though, I ask myself the following questions.

Will an Ai blow the photos that I'm getting from my A7rIII out of the water? Will I take much better travel, BIF, portraits, landscapes than I do now? Will the photos that come out of an Ai be obvious to even the most sophisticated viewer that they were taken with a superior camera? Will this camera somehow improve my skill level and make me a significantly better photographer than I am now?

Sure, there is a possibility that I may get more "keepers" with an A1, but I shoot 4-5 days out of any given week and I get more keepers now than I can, well - keep up with, just shooting with my A7RIII. (and previously with my Lumix G9 before moving to FF).

Now, if you've got a pile of cash sitting around that just needs to be spent, and owning an A1 for the sake of owning it would make you feel good, then go for it. Life is short and getting shorter with each passing day.

I'm not saying that I personally will never own an A1. As I have mentioned, I am sorely tempted. For the time being though, I'm pretty content with what I have. If I were to buy another camera at this point, I'd likely buy another A7RIII body as a backup. But, that's just me.

Good luck with your decision. We all want what we want.

excellent summary - the end of the day it is always a competition between different activities and/or tools.

IMHO the investment in lenses is the most beneficial followed by traveling and accommodation.

Far far behind is the investment for camera bodies for me and opposite to camera bodies lenses don't have that much progress over time.

All recent GM primes from Sony throughout the past 3..4 years will hardly get any better in potential MK II versions a few years out.

Camera bodies will get cheaper since the technology cripples down from he top models over time.

The Alpha One is IMHO a technology demonstrator and as such a good indication about the company engagement.

Which is ultimately good for all in the corresponding eco system

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." Douglas Adams

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM Sony FE 35mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.2 GM Sony FE 14mm F1.8 GM +13 more
aSevenArr
aSevenArr Veteran Member • Posts: 3,023
Re: A1 .. it's a "Gucci watch" for those concerned mostly with image instead of images...

Rob J wrote:

I totally agree.

Not only is the thing ridiculously expensive but I have yet to see an image posted that could not just as easily have been captured with my current A9.

So aside from the pose factor of toting the latest gear (and almost certainly showing to others that you do NOT make your living from photography) there really is no advantage to an A1 upgrade IMHO.

IMHO it's a Gucci watch camera for those more concerned with their image rather than their images.

Me.. I'm considering one of the new prime lenses. FAR more likely to show me some clearly better results.

aSevenArr's gear list:aSevenArr's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Sony a9 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 +13 more
SrMi
Re: A1 .. it's a "Gucci watch" for those concerned mostly with image instead of images...

aSevenArr wrote:

Rob J wrote:

I totally agree.

Not only is the thing ridiculously expensive but I have yet to see an image posted that could not just as easily have been captured with my current A9.

So aside from the pose factor of toting the latest gear (and almost certainly showing to others that you do NOT make your living from photography) there really is no advantage to an A1 upgrade IMHO.

IMHO it's a Gucci watch camera for those more concerned with their image rather than their images.

Me.. I'm considering one of the new prime lenses. FAR more likely to show me some clearly better results.

A1 improvements vs. A9 that are relevant to me:

- higher resolution

- 1 stop better max. DR

- faster sensor readout

- better weather sealing

- more responsive

- better UI (menu)

- better low-light AF (1EV improvement)

- higher resolution EVF

If one does not care about those items, or if the cost is not worth it, it is better to stay with a9. However, it seems to me that a1 is clearly a better and more versatile camera than a9.

a9 is still an excellent camera, but for landscape, cityscape, macro, etc, an a7rIV or a1 is a better choice.

I skipped the upgrade from a7rIII -> a7rIV and from a9 to a9II and got a1 instead.

khaw
khaw Senior Member • Posts: 1,247

SrMi wrote:

aSevenArr wrote:

Rob J wrote:

I totally agree.

A1 improvements vs. A9 that are relevant to me:

- higher resolution

- 1 stop better max. DR

- faster sensor readout

- better weather sealing

- more responsive

- better UI (menu)

- better low-light AF (1EV improvement)

- higher resolution EVF

If one does not care about those items, or if the cost is not worth it, it is better to stay with a9. However, it seems to me that a1 is clearly a better and more versatile camera than a9.

a9 is still an excellent camera, but for landscape, cityscape, macro, etc, an a7rIV or a1 is a better choice.

I skipped the upgrade from a7rIII -> a7rIV and from a9 to a9II and got a1 instead.

Agreed I am ready to order one as soon as Sony fixes the EVF/Eye sensor issue.

For me the A1 is a worthy update to my A7R II and A9. I will keep those too.

khaw's gear list:khaw's gear list
Leica M9 Sony a7R Sony a7R II Fujifilm GFX 50S Sony a9 +1 more
keithinmelbourne
keithinmelbourne Senior Member • Posts: 1,014

Old Pirate wrote:

I don't need three cameras so do I trade my A7riv or A9ii? Anyone who has shot all three who would share their opinion I would appreciate.

I travel.

I love to shoot BIF.

Grandchildren portraits, and cameos, and their sports indoors and out are done alot in non Covid times.

I am leaning towards keeping the A9ii, but seeking opinions of others in the event this old man simply is missing the obvious.

Thank you for your input.

I have the A1 and A9 and I feel that they complement each other. My A7rIII only sees the light of day when I go landscaping. I shoot basketball a good deal and the A7rIII can’t keep up with either body. Things to consider are noise performance, rolling shutter and flicker management. I would hang onto the A9II personally.

-- hide signature --

Every day is a good day! Wumen
“The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.” Joseph Campbell
http://www.keithbroadphotography.com/

keithinmelbourne's gear list:keithinmelbourne's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Sony a9 Leica M10-R Sony a1 Voigtlander 35mm F2.5 Color Skopar +12 more
SrMi

keithinmelbourne wrote:

Old Pirate wrote:

I don't need three cameras so do I trade my A7riv or A9ii? Anyone who has shot all three who would share their opinion I would appreciate.

I travel.

I love to shoot BIF.

Grandchildren portraits, and cameos, and their sports indoors and out are done alot in non Covid times.

I am leaning towards keeping the A9ii, but seeking opinions of others in the event this old man simply is missing the obvious.

I have the A1 and A9 and I feel that they complement each other. My A7rIII only sees the light of day when I go landscaping. I shoot basketball a good deal and the A7rIII can’t keep up with either body. Things to consider are noise performance, rolling shutter and flicker management. I would hang onto the A9II personally.

Could you elaborate on how a1 and a9 complement each other?

I see a9 and a7r being a good backup body (less expensive than a second a1), but I would switch to a9 or a7r only if my a1 is broken.

Beatsy

khaw wrote:

SrMi wrote:

<snip>

Agreed I am ready to order one as soon as Sony fixes the EVF/Eye sensor issue.

For me the A1 is a worthy update to my A7R II and A9. I will keep those too.

I'm still in the phase of proving (to myself) that I have absolutely no need for an A1. It's the last phase before I actually buy one (soon).

Regarding that "backup" aspect though: if I use my A9 for it's speed and tracking - I don't really have a good backup for that. If I use my A7riv for it's resolution, I only have my old A7rii to back that up, and lose a lot of useful features. So although every body I own *can* be a backup for every other one, there is a *lot* of compromise involved if the project leans on one of the camera's strengths (speed, low-light, tracking, resolution, etc). It's great having all those different choices on tap, I love it, but sometimes a bit more consistency between bodies (capabilities) would be far more useful. For backup.

Soooo - in my musings, I had a sudden change of perspective. What if I consider the A1 as the backup body!?

Well, that solves everything for me! The A1 can be backup to all my existing bodies and even covers each of their strongest features with minimal compromise (no EFCS, slightly lower resolution, etc). A7rii will push down the stack and becomes a permanent (though mobile) fixture on my microscopes and macro rigs, A9, A7riv and A1 become my main bodies - and I can now pick two of the three for a task with better coverage of whatever specific capability I need more of. It's usually a choice between high speed or resolution, though the A1 mixes that up by offering both, and I'll have no backup. But I'll live with that.

It's my birthday in two weeks, a significant "ends-in-zero" one, and I expect my order will be going in around then. It's already in my "basket" with grip and two CFExpress cards awaiting checkout. Happy birthday to meeee...

PS. I am fully aware that the chances of me treating a shiny new A1 as a backup body are less than zero. It will be glued to my hand and the only one I use for a while and then be my most-chosen-to-use body after that. But the better-backup concept works in either direction. So still good IMO.

keithinmelbourne
keithinmelbourne Senior Member • Posts: 1,014

SrMi wrote:

keithinmelbourne wrote:

Old Pirate wrote:

I travel.

I love to shoot BIF.

Could you elaborate on how a1 and a9 complement each other?

I see a9 and a7r being a good backup body (less expensive than a second a1), but I would switch to a9 or a7r only if my a1 is broken.

My A9 is a MkI and it still focuses nearly as fast and accurately as the A1. Also, it is handy to have a lower resolution body for portraits and such. Your A9II should have better high ISO performance than either the A7rIV or even the A1. That can be useful in many situations.

-- hide signature --

Every day is a good day! Wumen
“The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.” Joseph Campbell
http://www.keithbroadphotography.com/

keithinmelbourne's gear list:keithinmelbourne's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Sony a9 Leica M10-R Sony a1 Voigtlander 35mm F2.5 Color Skopar +12 more
rgwaller1
rgwaller1 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,039

I sold my A9 and kept my A7RIV to be the back up to my A1. I have not regretted my decision in the least. I use the 200-600G on the A1 and 100-400GM on the A7RIV and switch between the two when out shooting wildlife depending on the distance of my subjects. Which ever one you decide to keep will be a great choice.

rgwaller1's gear list:rgwaller1's gear list
Sony Mavica FD-95 Sony RX10 IV Sony a6500 Sony a7R IV Sony a1 +17 more
BruceRH Senior Member • Posts: 2,866

My significant birthday ending in a zero doesn’t come until October 😬 I’m hoping there is a sale by then 😀

BruceRH's gear list:BruceRH's gear list
Sony RX100 III Ricoh GR III Olympus TG-6 Olympus PEN-F Sony a7R IV +32 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads