A1 temptation, so...

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
AlephNull Veteran Member • Posts: 3,137
Re: A1 temptation, so...

Old Pirate wrote:

I don't need three cameras so do I trade my A7riv or A9ii? Anyone who has shot all three who would share their opinion I would appreciate.

I travel.

I love to shoot BIF.

Grandchildren portraits, and cameos, and their sports indoors and out are done alot in non Covid times.

I am leaning towards keeping the A9ii, but seeking opinions of others in the event this old man simply is missing the obvious.

Thank you for your input.

I'm not going to tell you theoretically what I'd do. I was in exactly this situation about a month ago. I'd had the A7R4 from late 2019, the A9II from mid 2020, and I got the A1. I sold the A9II, kept the A7R4.

My thinking was that I bought the A9II primarily for features which the A1 tops completely - the A1 is faster, has more powerful AF, and shows less rolling shutter. The A7R4 still has more pixels than the A1 (marginally, but still more), so the A1 is not a complete replacement for it.

I wanted a backup camera, so I kept the A7R4.

AlephNull's gear list:AlephNull's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony a1 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM +3 more
ZilverHaylide Senior Member • Posts: 1,253

Old Pirate wrote:

I don't need three cameras so do I trade my A7riv or A9ii? Anyone who has shot all three who would share their opinion I would appreciate.

I travel.

I love to shoot BIF.

Grandchildren portraits, and cameos, and their sports indoors and out are done alot in non Covid times.

I am leaning towards keeping the A9ii, but seeking opinions of others in the event this old man simply is missing the obvious.

Get two small stickers that say "a1", paste one to the top plate, one to the front plate of your current A9ii. Done! Other photographers can still be made envious, your bank balance can stay healthier, and most of the time you probably won't know the difference in practice!

AlephNull Veteran Member • Posts: 3,137

ZilverHaylide wrote:

Old Pirate wrote:

I travel.

I love to shoot BIF.

Get two small stickers that say "a1", paste one to the top plate, one to the front plate of your current A9ii. Done! Other photographers can still be made envious, your bank balance can stay healthier, and most of the time you probably won't know the difference in practice!

The hit to your bank balance will still be significant - those A1 stickers are REALLY expensive!

AlephNull's gear list:AlephNull's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony a1 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM +3 more
LenRivers Senior Member • Posts: 3,409

Old Pirate wrote:

I travel.

I love to shoot BIF.

After some of my looking around. I have shot the A7iii for the last 3 years with no issue.  The A1 did interest me and still does.  One of the biggest extra expenses for the A1 is the memory card. To take full advantage of that $6500 body, and if you pay tax call it $7000 give or take is the CF fast cards seem like you need them over the sd uhs cards. So add a good $1000 more after buying 2,3,4 cards

Plus any more accessories to make it shine.   Most likely more hard drive space too

yes if you want the best of both worlds the A1.  For what you do the A7iii or A9ii

this is why I decided not to get the a7R iv.  I want high iso latitude and speed over a large file as the main benefit. 
If you are not making prints IMO it’s not needed. To that end I’ll agree it’s nice to have more room for cropping that way. 
SO I’ll say this because the A9ii and A1 were added and removed from the shopping cart MANY times.  Sleep on it. What areas are lacking. Better tripod, video accessories like a good microphone, lighting , carbon fiber tripod ?

further is it gas, I’d think you are really good where you are and you will a lot of money to kinda re-buy the same thing and maybe you need that , who knows. 
by your title A1 temptation you want lots of yes men but I think it’s GAS

If you want a different look and something different with first hand experience check out the Leica Q2.

Despiser Regular Member • Posts: 461

Rob J wrote:

You (and likely many others) are not going to like my opinion but I'm going to throw it out there anyway for what it's worth. (probably nothing).

I too, am sorely tempted by the A1. When considering the actual purchase though, I ask myself the following questions.

Will an Ai blow the photos that I'm getting from my A7rIII out of the water? Will I take much better travel, BIF, portraits, landscapes than I do now? Will the photos that come out of an Ai be obvious to even the most sophisticated viewer that they were taken with a superior camera? Will this camera somehow improve my skill level and make me a significantly better photographer than I am now?

The answer to all of those question for me is NO.

Sure, there is a possibility that I may get more "keepers" with an A1, but I shoot 4-5 days out of any given week and I get more keepers now than I can, well - keep up with, just shooting with my A7RIII. (and previously with my Lumix G9 before moving to FF).

Now, if you've got a pile of cash sitting around that just needs to be spent, and owning an A1 for the sake of owning it would make you feel good, then go for it. Life is short and getting shorter with each passing day.

I'm not saying that I personally will never own an A1. As I have mentioned, I am sorely tempted. For the time being though, I'm pretty content with what I have. If I were to buy another camera at this point, I'd likely buy another A7RIII body as a backup. But, that's just me.

Good luck with your decision. We all want what we want.

If you can afford to have a backup of the same camera you already own in the unlikely event one stops working then I would think the extra cost means little. A1 may cost more, but at least it won’t sit on the shelf for half the price the other a7riii would run.

Despiser's gear list:Despiser's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Sony FE 20mm F1.8G Tamron 28-200mm F2.8-5.6
Scottelly
Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 16,507

Opera207 wrote:

If you shoot video, A1 is nice, if not, a9m2+r4 can do all the jobs of a1 for you.

I was not happy with the video of a9m2 (8bit, no 4k60p no slog) and r4 (no 4k60p and more, 8bit, jello), so I traded my a9m2 and r4, got an a1, so far so good. Then I got a s3

What's an s3?

, for lite photo and low light video, for me it’s the best backup of a1.

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
https://www.bigprintphotos.com/

Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +26 more
Scottelly

LenRivers wrote:

Old Pirate wrote:

I travel.

I love to shoot BIF.

After some of my looking around.

After some of your looking around . . . . what?

I have shot the A7iii for the last 3 years with no issue. The A1 did interest me and still does. One of the biggest extra expenses for the A1 is the memory card. To take full advantage of that $6500 body, and if you pay tax call it $7000 give or take is the CF fast cards seem like you need them over the sd uhs cards. So add a good $1000 more after buying 2,3,4 cards

Plus any more accessories to make it shine. Most likely more hard drive space too

yes if you want the best of both worlds the A1. For what you do the A7iii or A9ii

this is why I decided not to get the a7R iv. I want high iso latitude and speed over a large file as the main benefit.
If you are not making prints IMO it’s not needed.

WHAT is not needed?

To that end I’ll agree it’s nice to have more room for cropping that way.

Cropping WHAT way? What ARE you talking about man?

SO I’ll say this because the A9ii and A1 were added and removed from the shopping cart MANY times. Sleep on it. What areas are lacking. Better tripod, video accessories like a good microphone, lighting , carbon fiber tripod ?

further is it gas, I’d think you are really good where you are and you will a lot of money to kinda re-buy the same thing and maybe you need that , who knows.
by your title A1 temptation you want lots of yes men but I think it’s GAS

If you want a different look and something different with first hand experience check out the Leica Q2.

Hmmm . . . interesting advice. I wonder if it'll work.

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly

Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +26 more
Scottelly

Old Pirate wrote:

I travel.

I love to shoot BIF.

I haven't shot all three, but it does look like you currently have a back-up camera. If you sell those two in order to get one camera, you better hope nothing happens to it. Do you travel far? If not, then I say go for it. You'll be very happy with it, no doubt, and you only live once.

If you travel, then having two cameras on you might be a good thing, in case one gets damaged or just stops working for some reason. It's also nice to have a wide lens on one, while having a telephoto on the other. You can't do that with one camera.

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly

Scottelly

Rob J wrote:

You (and likely many others) are not going to like my opinion but I'm going to throw it out there anyway for what it's worth. (probably nothing).

I too, am sorely tempted by the A1. When considering the actual purchase though, I ask myself the following questions.

Will an Ai blow the photos that I'm getting from my A7rIII out of the water? Will I take much better travel, BIF, portraits, landscapes than I do now? Will the photos that come out of an Ai be obvious to even the most sophisticated viewer that they were taken with a superior camera?

Ai is getting smarter all the time. If you have an Ai, then it just might improve your photography. What kind of Ai are are you talking about getting? Is this some sort of computer? Is it in a phone? Is it just Ai software, or is it some new type of hardware Ai?

Will this camera somehow improve my skill level and make me a significantly better photographer than I am now?

The answer to all of those question for me is NO.

Sure, there is a possibility that I may get more "keepers" with an A1, but I shoot 4-5 days out of any given week and I get more keepers now than I can, well - keep up with, just shooting with my A7RIII. (and previously with my Lumix G9 before moving to FF).

Now, if you've got a pile of cash sitting around that just needs to be spent, and owning an A1 for the sake of owning it would make you feel good, then go for it. Life is short and getting shorter with each passing day.

I'm not saying that I personally will never own an A1. As I have mentioned, I am sorely tempted. For the time being though, I'm pretty content with what I have. If I were to buy another camera at this point, I'd likely buy another A7RIII body as a backup. But, that's just me.

Good luck with your decision. We all want what we want.

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly

ZilverHaylide Senior Member • Posts: 1,253
  1. Old Pirate wrote:

I travel.

I love to shoot BIF.

Unless you have a money tree, I'd look at it from the perspective of how much glass you could buy for the cost of an A1. At current U.S. prices, for the cost of the A1 plus about $50 additional, you could buy, new, all of the following: the Sony 20mm f/1.8 G, the new 35mm f/1.4 GM, the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 DG DN, and the Sony 100-400mm GM with 1.4x teleconverter! It'd be less glass if you were reducing the A1 purchase price via a single-body trade-in, but it likely would still equate to a fair amount.

And as others have pointed out, I wouldn't trade in multiple bodies unless you were still left with at least one other besides the A1, otherwise you'd have no other for either backup, or as a secondary with a different lens for when changing lenses was impractical or too slow.

Rob J
Rob J Contributing Member • Posts: 679

Scottelly wrote:

Rob J wrote:

Will an Ai blow the photos that I'm getting from my A7rIII out of the water? Will I take much better travel, BIF, portraits, landscapes than I do now? Will the photos that come out of an Ai be obvious to even the most sophisticated viewer that they were taken with a superior camera?

Ai is getting smarter all the time. If you have an Ai, then it just might improve your photography. What kind of Ai are are you talking about getting? Is this some sort of computer? Is it in a phone? Is it just Ai software, or is it some new type of hardware Ai?

Okay, ya' got me. Well played, but I think you know what I mean. I guess I didn't want anyone to think that I was referring to steak sauce.

OP Old Pirate Senior Member • Posts: 1,513

In the end I traded the A9ii and kept the A7riv.  Thanks for your opinions.

Old Pirate's gear list:Old Pirate's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony a1 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS +7 more
BruceRH Senior Member • Posts: 2,865

Old Pirate wrote:

In the end I traded the A9ii and kept the A7riv. Thanks for your opinions.

I will be curious as to your thoughts on the A1 and whether or not you end up keeping the A7Riv. I tried the A9ii but for me, I didn’t want two upper end bodies so I kept the iv. With that said, I think the A1 could be my perfect compromise on speed and resolution.

BruceRH's gear list:BruceRH's gear list
Sony RX100 III Ricoh GR III Olympus TG-6 Olympus PEN-F Sony a7R IV +32 more
SrMi
SrMi Senior Member • Posts: 2,397

Beatsy wrote:

Trade the A9ii. A1 can do everything the A9ii can but not everything the A7riv can. OK, that last is only in terms of resolution, but could swing the balance.

What can A7rIV do more than A1?

The resolution difference is only 10% (length/width) and A1 is better in many points. AFAIK, the cost is the only benefit of a7rIV.

Nikon33
Nikon33 Senior Member • Posts: 2,519

SrMi wrote:

Beatsy wrote:

Trade the A9ii. A1 can do everything the A9ii can but not everything the A7riv can. OK, that last is only in terms of resolution, but could swing the balance.

The resolution difference is only 10% (length/width) and A1 is better in many points. AFAIK, the cost is the only benefit of a7rIV.

Well, you sometimes need two bodies, and every working pro should have a backup. I feel like the files are also better matched, the A1 and A7R IV make files that are nearly equal in beauty to my eyes.

Nikon33's gear list:Nikon33's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS II USM Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM +4 more
SrMi
SrMi Senior Member • Posts: 2,397

Nikon33 wrote:

SrMi wrote:

Beatsy wrote:

Well, you sometimes need two bodies, and every working pro should have a backup. I feel like the files are also better matched, the A1 and A7R IV make files that are nearly equal in beauty to my eyes.

I agree with that. I just wondered where A7riv is better than a1.

Nikon33
Nikon33 Senior Member • Posts: 2,519
  • SrMi wrote:

Nikon33 wrote:

SrMi wrote:

Beatsy wrote:

I agree with that. I just wondered where A7riv is better than a1.

It’s not. Hence why it’s the OP’s backup I suppose.

Nikon33's gear list:Nikon33's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS II USM Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM +4 more
DuxX
DuxX Contributing Member • Posts: 946

My personal opinion is that a1 is heavily overpriced. Yes that's a fantastic camera but current price is absurd.

-- hide signature --

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Dusko Jovic / DuxX /
https://duskojovic.pixieset.com/showroom/

DuxX's gear list:DuxX's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EOS R Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
PWPhotography Forum Pro • Posts: 11,030

DuxX wrote:

My personal opinion is that a1 is heavily overpriced. Yes that's a fantastic camera but current price is absurd.

I am sympathetic on price. It'd very nice if $1000 less that I initially want to wait for. I sold A9+grip and A7r III about 3 months ago to fund A1, so not that terrible for me as A1 is much more than A9+A7r III combined. Now with the trip booked at end of May, I could not wait but just ordered A1 two days ago that is backordered now (estimated 2~4 weeks). I need two cameras in the trip.

Sony can leverage the price as long as demand is still high and no competitors at the moment. But eventually Sony will slash price after demand is down and after Canon released R3 and Nikon released Z9. So wait if you could.

PWPhotography's gear list:PWPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony a7R IV Sony a1 Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +16 more
DuxX
DuxX Contributing Member • Posts: 946

PWPhotography wrote:

DuxX wrote:

Sony can leverage the price as long as demand is still high and no competitors at the moment. But eventually Sony will slash price after demand is down and after Canon released R3 and Nikon released Z9. So wait if you could.

Sure. I'll gladly wait and buy a7IV or a7R V and invest extra cash in good GM glass.

-- hide signature --

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Dusko Jovic / DuxX /
https://duskojovic.pixieset.com/showroom/

DuxX's gear list:DuxX's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EOS R Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads