A1 temptation, so...

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Old Pirate Senior Member • Posts: 1,513
A1 temptation, so...

I don't need three cameras so do I trade my A7riv or A9ii?  Anyone who has shot all three who would share their opinion I would appreciate.

I travel.

I love to shoot BIF.

Grandchildren portraits, and cameos, and their sports indoors and out are done alot in non Covid times.

I am leaning towards keeping the A9ii, but seeking opinions of others in the event this old man simply is missing the obvious.

Thank you for your input.

Old Pirate's gear list:Old Pirate's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony a1 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS +7 more
Sony a1 Sony a7 Sony a7R Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Beatsy
Beatsy Senior Member • Posts: 1,182
Re: A1 temptation, so...

Trade the A9ii. A1 can do everything the A9ii can but not everything the A7riv can. OK, that last is only in terms of resolution, but could swing the balance.

Beatsy's gear list:Beatsy's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a9 Sony a7R IV Sony a1 Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro +16 more
TristanW
TristanW Contributing Member • Posts: 786

sold both, wait for 7m4 as backup body. or keep 7r4 as landscape-backup body

that's my votes.

-- hide signature --

Tristan.W

TristanW's gear list:TristanW's gear list
Sony a7 IV Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM +3 more
OP Old Pirate Senior Member • Posts: 1,513

The reason I say the A9ii is because of faster focus and better low light capability, I tend to crop in actual shot selection so 24mp works almost all the time.  I do appreciate everyone's comments.  I will probably debate this right up until purchase of the A1.

Old Pirate's gear list:Old Pirate's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony a1 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS +7 more
Rob J
Rob J Contributing Member • Posts: 679

You (and likely many others) are not going to like my opinion but I'm going to throw it out there anyway for what it's worth. (probably nothing).

I too, am sorely tempted by the A1. When considering the actual purchase though, I ask myself the following questions.

Will an Ai blow the photos that I'm getting from my A7rIII out of the water? Will I take much better travel, BIF, portraits, landscapes than I do now? Will the photos that come out of an Ai be obvious to even the most sophisticated viewer that they were taken with a superior camera? Will this camera somehow improve my skill level and make me a significantly better photographer than I am now?

The answer to all of those question for me is NO.

Sure, there is a possibility that I may get more "keepers" with an A1, but I shoot 4-5 days out of any given week and I get more keepers now than I can, well - keep up with, just shooting with my A7RIII. (and previously with my Lumix G9 before moving to FF).

Now, if you've got a pile of cash sitting around that just needs to be spent, and owning an A1 for the sake of owning it would make you feel good, then go for it. Life is short and getting shorter with each passing day.

I'm not saying that I personally will never own an A1. As I have mentioned, I am sorely tempted. For the time being though, I'm pretty content with what I have. If I were to buy another camera at this point, I'd likely buy another A7RIII body as a backup. But, that's just me.

Good luck with your decision. We all want what we want. 

pollup Senior Member • Posts: 1,190

Old Pirate wrote:

The reason I say the A9ii is because of faster focus and better low light capability

The A1 is better at low light focusing, it goes to -4ev whereas the A9ii goes to -3ev.

(note: all with an F/2 lens)

If you focus on people in the dark, the A1 will find the eyes better than the A9ii.

IQ in low light:

ISO 3200 and under: A1 is clearly better.

ISO 6400 and 12800: both are about the same.

ISO 25600: A9ii is bit better.

ISO 51200 and above: A9ii is clearly better.

I'm going to say that ISO 3200- is more important than ISO 25600+ (because at that point, the IQ is bad for both cameras anyway), so the A1 wins for low light.

, I tend to crop in actual shot selection so 24mp works almost all the time. I do appreciate everyone's comments. I will probably debate this right up until purchase of the A1.

pollup's gear list:pollup's gear list
Sony a9 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 35mm F1.8 Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS Canon EOS 550D +6 more
DoctorKajita
DoctorKajita Contributing Member • Posts: 609

Rob J wrote:

You (and likely many others) are not going to like my opinion but I'm going to throw it out there anyway for what it's worth. (probably nothing).

I too, am sorely tempted by the A1. When considering the actual purchase though, I ask myself the following questions.

Will an Ai blow the photos that I'm getting from my A7rIII out of the water? Will I take much better travel, BIF, portraits, landscapes than I do now? Will the photos that come out of an Ai be obvious to even the most sophisticated viewer that they were taken with a superior camera? Will this camera somehow improve my skill level and make me a significantly better photographer than I am now?

The answer to all of those question for me is NO.

Sure, there is a possibility that I may get more "keepers" with an A1, but I shoot 4-5 days out of any given week and I get more keepers now than I can, well - keep up with, just shooting with my A7RIII. (and previously with my Lumix G9 before moving to FF).

Now, if you've got a pile of cash sitting around that just needs to be spent, and owning an A1 for the sake of owning it would make you feel good, then go for it. Life is short and getting shorter with each passing day.

I'm not saying that I personally will never own an A1. As I have mentioned, I am sorely tempted. For the time being though, I'm pretty content with what I have. If I were to buy another camera at this point, I'd likely buy another A7RIII body as a backup. But, that's just me.

Good luck with your decision. We all want what we want.

Very reasonable analysis. IMO, the A1 is "worth it" for those specifically doing BIF and need to crop tighter than their long lenses/TCs can cover to get an acceptable and printable image.

Sure, the value is that it can do it all, but the thing that sets it apart from the A9 and A7R series is the combination of 30 FPS + resolution + Bird Eye-AF. You don't need this combination for any other type of photography.

I believe I'm preaching to the choir

DoctorKajita's gear list:DoctorKajita's gear list
Sony a1 Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Sony FE 35mm F1.4 GM +2 more
Rob J
Rob J Contributing Member • Posts: 679

Sure, the value is that it can do it all, but the thing that sets it apart from the A9 and A7R series is the combination of 30 FPS + resolution + Bird Eye-AF. You don't need this combination for any other type of photography.

Not preaching to the choir - this choir tries to be open minded. The BIF aspects are certainly worth consideration for that type of photography and if you do a lot of it (which I do) and I'm sure that the A1 would have gotten several missed shots that I've experienced with my A7R. I'm just not so sure that I can justify the several thousand dollar difference for the sake of a few missed shots, at least at this point.

With that said, who knows down the road? Will I eventually give in? The jury is still out on that one. The A1 certainly looks to be as good a camera as you can get from Sony right now and the temptation is strong for most of us.

ahaslett
ahaslett Veteran Member • Posts: 9,087

Old Pirate wrote:

The reason I say the A9ii is because of faster focus and better low light capability, I tend to crop in actual shot selection so 24mp works almost all the time. I do appreciate everyone's comments. I will probably debate this right up until purchase of the A1.

The A9ii is better back up to the A1 than an A7Riv would be, unless landscape is your main subject.

Andrew

-- hide signature --

Infinite are the arguments of mages. Truth is a jewel with many facets. Ursula K LeGuin
Please feel free to edit any images that I post

ahaslett's gear list:ahaslett's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +29 more
DoctorKajita
DoctorKajita Contributing Member • Posts: 609

Rob J wrote:

Not preaching to the choir - this choir tries to be open minded. The BIF aspects are certainly worth consideration for that type of photography and if you do a lot of it (which I do) and I'm sure that the A1 would have gotten several missed shots that I've experienced with my A7R. I'm just not so sure that I can justify the several thousand dollar difference for the sake of a few missed shots, at least at this point.

With that said, who knows down the road? Will I eventually give in? The jury is still out on that one. The A1 certainly looks to be as good a camera as you can get from Sony right now and the temptation is strong for most of us.

US $6,500 is a lot of money. Almost half of the 600 GM :).

I'm in the same boat. One day. That one day will probably be when the A1 mk3 is announced. LOL.

DoctorKajita's gear list:DoctorKajita's gear list
Sony a1 Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Sony FE 35mm F1.4 GM +2 more
Opera207 Forum Member • Posts: 58

If you shoot video, A1 is nice, if not, a9m2+r4 can do all the jobs of a1 for you.

I was not happy with the video of a9m2 (8bit, no 4k60p no slog) and r4 (no 4k60p and more, 8bit, jello), so I traded my a9m2 and r4, got an a1, so far so good. Then I got a s3, for lite photo and low light video, for me it’s the best backup of a1.

Opera207's gear list:Opera207's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-S1H Sony a7S III Fujifilm GFX 100S
BruceRH Senior Member • Posts: 2,866

Old Pirate wrote:

I don't need three cameras so do I trade my A7riv or A9ii? Anyone who has shot all three who would share their opinion I would appreciate.

I travel.

I love to shoot BIF.

Grandchildren portraits, and cameos, and their sports indoors and out are done alot in non Covid times.

I am leaning towards keeping the A9ii, but seeking opinions of others in the event this old man simply is missing the obvious.

Personally, I would sell both and just use the A1. I enjoy BIF and briefly owned a used A9ii but I preferred the A7Riv for cropping and I also enjoy landscape and travel photography such as Cathedral interiors. I couldn’t justify both bodies so I sold the A9ii for what I bought it for. Now, I see the A1 as a perfect all in one Sony body for me. I’ll wait until the dust settles and pick up a mint used one at some point. They always show up within a month or two after launch. That keeps my cost lower and when it is time to upgrade in a few more years, I won’t lose too much. I love the A7Riv and while the focusing is not as good as the A9 series or the new A1, it is still not to shabby. The Bird AF is very tempting though so yes, at some point I see an A1 in my future.

BruceRH's gear list:BruceRH's gear list
Sony RX100 III Ricoh GR III Olympus TG-6 Olympus PEN-F Sony a7R IV +32 more
aSevenArr
aSevenArr Veteran Member • Posts: 3,004

Old Pirate wrote:

I don't need three cameras so do I trade my A7riv or A9ii? Anyone who has shot all three who would share their opinion I would appreciate.

I travel.

I love to shoot BIF.

I wouldn't buy an A1 personally but it seems to me that the A1 is really supposed to be a kind of a super "A9III" so if you buy into that marketing then it makes most sense to lose your A9ii.

But if it were me I can think of far better ways to spend the ~$7K (including the tax) that will make far more of a difference to my results. (such as some new glass).

aSevenArr's gear list:aSevenArr's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Sony a9 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 +13 more
Beatsy
Beatsy Senior Member • Posts: 1,182

aSevenArr wrote:

Old Pirate wrote:

I travel.

I love to shoot BIF.

I wouldn't buy an A1 personally but it seems to me that the A1 is really supposed to be a kind of a super "A9III" so if you buy into that marketing then it makes most sense to lose your A9ii.

But if it were me I can think of far better ways to spend the ~$7K (including the tax) that will make far more of a difference to my results. (such as some new glass).

I have to ask why *you* bought an A9 when you already had an A7r then? By your reasoning, that money would have been better spent on more glass too.

Beatsy's gear list:Beatsy's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a9 Sony a7R IV Sony a1 Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro +16 more
joger
joger Veteran Member • Posts: 7,132
deteriorate in used price is what might concern too

Beatsy wrote:

Trade the A9ii. A1 can do everything the A9ii can but not everything the A7riv can. OK, that last is only in terms of resolution, but could swing the balance.

... and the A9 II will faster deteriorate in used price due to grey market prices brand new.

When looking at the current purchasing price ( including fax ) I see following ranking:

1. Alpha One - list price € 7,300 - grey market € 6,500 - when MK II available in mint condition 2 years old maybe € 3000 .. 3,500 => loss up to € 4,000
  2. A9 II - list price € 5,400 - grey market € 3,600 - 2 years old maybe € 2,300 .. 2,500 => loss up to € 3,000
  3. A7R IV - list price € 4,000 - grey market € 2,600 - when MK V available in mint condition 2 years old maybe € 1,800 .. 2000 => loss up to € 2,000

For the € 2 k cameras the potential loss is potentially below € 1 k - but I guess most people will be keeping their A7 III as a backup camera when getting the A7 IV

There will be an Alpha One MK II and an A7R IV successor and maybe an A9 II successor - n case this successor ever appears the price of the A9 II might go down significantly - if not people can buy today already at ridiculously low prices on the grey market.

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." Douglas Adams

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM Sony FE 35mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.2 GM Sony FE 14mm F1.8 GM +13 more
Nikon33
Nikon33 Senior Member • Posts: 2,519

I got rid of both.

With the A9 II, I had the huge frustration of files that I just didn't quite like. They did not have the beauty in my eyes of the A7R IV files. The issue with the A7R IV was that the autofocus could not quite keep up with my erratic subjects, such as flying Kingfishers and Osprey, and did not offer me a viable e-shutter to use (rolling shutter, especially on BIF and diving birds!). Also, the ISO performance was not good enough.

Bought the A1, and I am so happy with it, I will never shoot those other 2 cameras again. The files are similar to the A7R IV in beauty, the autofocus is insanity, and the ISO performance is great! Shooting ISO 5000+ is no longer a worry. Oh yeah, and it was tracking the eyes of even flying birds! So every single complaint I had with the A9, A9 II, and A7R IV is GONE. Did I mention I can also shoot 20 FPS and not get 12-bit, but beautiful 14-bit RAW files with NO rolling shutter effects AND have a high megapixel image?

I may sound like I am ranting, but I have seriously never had so much fun in my life!

If I had shot the picture below with an A9 II or A7R IV, I would have had a choice of completely missing focus, having banding, or an unusuable image after trying to crop from 24 MP. Instead, I have a very sharp image which I love! The A1 focus is right on the eye!

Nikon33's gear list:Nikon33's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS II USM Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM +4 more
jafleming3 Contributing Member • Posts: 603

I agree with you, Rob.

Apart from financial considerations, which are important in such an expensive camera, is the use. Who needs it? If you are a sports photographer or shoot BIF, I’d say yes.

I shoot street, travel, and occasional dance performances. My beloved A9II does a first rate job. Would the A1 do better? Perhaps. I’m betwixt and between getting one, leaning more towards no.

jafleming3's gear list:jafleming3's gear list
Leica M10 Monochrom Sony a1 Leica APO-Summicron-M 50mm f/2 ASPH Leica Q Leica SL2-S +2 more
khaw
khaw Senior Member • Posts: 1,247

AFAIK the A1 got it all. As soon as Sony fixes its EVF/Eye sensor issue I will order one. I will keep my A7R, A7R II, A9 though for occasional use to better appreciate the amazing achievements done in such s short time frame.

khaw's gear list:khaw's gear list
Leica M9 Sony a7R Sony a7R II Fujifilm GFX 50S Sony a9 +1 more
AZheaven Senior Member • Posts: 2,203

Old Pirate wrote:

I travel.

I love to shoot BIF.

So far everyone that I've seen has sold their A7RIV and A9/A92 (or 3rd gen cameras) to get the A1. Some however have kept the A7RIV as a spare.

PWPhotography Forum Pro • Posts: 11,035

AZheaven wrote:

Old Pirate wrote:

I travel.

I love to shoot BIF.

So far everyone that I've seen has sold their A7RIV and A9/A92 (or 3rd gen cameras) to get the A1. Some however have kept the A7RIV as a spare.

I sold A9 (with grip) and A7r III two months ago and keep A7r IV. I usually carry two bodies into trips. I plan a trip to the Iceland again at end of May or early June and need to get A1 by then. Called B&H a few days ago and they told me shipping time is within 2 weeks. Just hope in next two weeks there will be an EDU discount that I am waiting for. I know B&H has 30 day price adjustment policy. But I am afraid I need to order soon.

A7r IV and A1 will be a great combo for all purposes. Previously I carried A7r III and A9 but A9 is not the best in resolution and base-ISO DR. Then I bought A7r IV (with fantastic $2450 EDU price) and carried A7r IV and A7r III that did great in landscape type photos but not the best in action type photos. With A1 I feel I also need to study video and learn video shooting and editing skill.

PWPhotography's gear list:PWPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony a7R IV Sony a1 Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads