Wrist Strap - Not Easy!

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Bill K. Regular Member • Posts: 167
Wrist Strap - Not Easy!

I am aware of the most popular wrist straps on the market now.  I'd like to find a simple, secure, wrist strap with no metal components.  This isn't as easy as it seems - at least for me!  By simple, I mean a strap that is more of a lanyard, without quick releases, buckles and other complexities, and without metal rivets, metal rings and other components that need O-rings and leather spacers to keep your gear safe.  And by secure, I mean securing to the camera (a6600 in my case) with something more than a lightweight string - especially when it's accompanied by reviews that say that the string breaks.  A heavier string that is appropriate for the weight of a mirrorless w/zoom would be perfectly fine.

Years back, there was a Joby wrist strap that looked perfect for my needs, but unfortunately, it's been discontinued.  Please let me know what I am missing here.

Thanks!

Bill K.

yardcoyote Forum Pro • Posts: 13,592
Re: Wrist Strap - Not Easy!

DSPTCH makes a nice braided paracord wrist strap with no metal parts.

https://www.dsptch.com/products/camera-wrist-strap

-- hide signature --

Instagram: @yardcoyote

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-M1 +18 more
OP Bill K. Regular Member • Posts: 167

Thanks for the suggestion.

-- hide signature --

Bill K.

The Gordy strap looks closest to what I'd like, but I am not sure the string version would be secure with an a6600/zoom.  The other version has a metal ring.

-- hide signature --

Bill K.

Mick66
Mick66 Regular Member • Posts: 174

Have you thought about making your own?

I looked online for a suitable wrist strap but gave up.  So, I cut up an old neck strap and used that.  It doesn't look pretty but It works perfect.

Clever.  I like it!

-- hide signature --

Bill K.

D Lynch Veteran Member • Posts: 5,153

Bill K. wrote:

The Gordy strap looks closest to what I'd like, but I am not sure the string version would be secure with an a6600/zoom. The other version has a metal ring.

I have a Gordy wrist strap. I've used it on my RX100-2 and on my Canon G9 previously. I also have a Gordy Sling.

-- hide signature --

I've found Gordy provides incredible customer service.  Shoot them an email.  They know how well their product performs.

--
DaveL
WSSA Member #468
Ontario, Canada

D Lynch's gear list:D Lynch's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828
jvc1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,132

Mick66 wrote:

I looked online for a suitable wrist strap but gave up. So, I cut up an old neck strap and used that. It doesn't look pretty but It works perfect.

I did exactly the same, works great.

-- hide signature --
 jvc1's gear list:jvc1's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM +10 more

I already contacted Gordy and got a fast, informational response.

Turns out that their string mount straps are quite strong, and of course, the ring mount is stronger.  But with the ring mount, I am concerned about scratching, not only the camera body, but other things I toss in the gadget bag with the camera.

-- hide signature --

Bill K.

jvc1 wrote:

Mick66 wrote:

I looked online for a suitable wrist strap but gave up. So, I cut up an old neck strap and used that. It doesn't look pretty but It works perfect.

I did exactly the same, works great.

I just happened across an unused nylon camera strap in my desk, and took Mick66's suggestion.  I don't need to have it instantly removable, it's 100% secure and there's 0% chance of scratching anything.

Boom.  Done.  Thanks Mick!

-- hide signature --

Bill K.

Mick66
Mick66 Regular Member • Posts: 174

You're welcome Bill, glad I could help.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads