Registering adapted lenses on GFX

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Joe Moche Regular Member • Posts: 137
Registering adapted lenses on GFX

I am confused about what it means to register a lens on a GFX.  I have a ton of adapted lenses, most of which have no electrical connection to the camera.  Yesterday, I tried registering an ancient Minolta and then shot with it.  When I look at the Exif data, there is nothing to see.  I understand that the camera wouldn't know the f-stop without an electrical connection, but is there no way for the camera to use whichever registered lens is selected to include the focal length in the Exif?  Or, does the lens registration system depend on an electrical connection?  The manual doesn't really answer these questions.  Thanks!

-- hide signature --

Joe

Joe Moche's gear list:Joe Moche's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm GFX 100S +6 more
Rob de Loe
Rob de Loe Senior Member • Posts: 1,067
Re: Registering adapted lenses on GFX

Joe Moche wrote:

I am confused about what it means to register a lens on a GFX. I have a ton of adapted lenses, most of which have no electrical connection to the camera. Yesterday, I tried registering an ancient Minolta and then shot with it. When I look at the Exif data, there is nothing to see. I understand that the camera wouldn't know the f-stop without an electrical connection, but is there no way for the camera to use whichever registered lens is selected to include the focal length in the Exif? Or, does the lens registration system depend on an electrical connection? The manual doesn't really answer these questions. Thanks!

The only thing you can register (assuming no electrical connection at all) is focal length. This gets written into the EXIF data. There are six slots in the menu system you can fill with a focal length.

I mostly shoot with adapted lenses so I set it up so that this function comes up first when I press the menu button.

To get to the setting,

* Press menu

* Camera (3rd from top)

* ON the 2nd page of Camera, choose MOUNT ADAPTOR SETTING

* LENS REGISTRATION

* Go from there

Here's the menu page for the GFX 50R. Note that the Distortion Correction settings are not available on my camera (greyed out).

OP Joe Moche Regular Member • Posts: 137
Re: Registering adapted lenses on GFX

Rob de Loe wrote:

The only thing you can register (assuming no electrical connection at all) is focal length. This gets written into the EXIF data. There are six slots in the menu system you can fill with a focal length.

That's what I did.  I registered the lens according to the directions in the manual by setting the focal length.  But, the focal length does not appear in the Exif.  I suppose I might have clicked onto a different (and blank) lens spot from the 6 that are present, but I don't think I did.  I'm headed out tomorrow and I'll give it another shot.  Thanks for the quick response.

-- hide signature --

JM

Joe Moche's gear list:Joe Moche's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm GFX 100S +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads