Ryzen 7 5800x CPU cooler - is this one good enough?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Big Swifty Regular Member • Posts: 464
Ryzen 7 5800x CPU cooler - is this one good enough?

I was originally looking at the 5 3600, but there is a 45% premium over MSRP so I decided to upgrade to the 5800x with only a 15% premium. More expensive obviously, but seems like the better value for money spent and I don´t feel like I´m getting ripped off.

This is my first time buying a CPU without an included cooler. Interenet reading suggests that the 5800x runs the hottest of all the new Ryzens.

Came across a good deal on a be quiet! Pure Rock Slim and am curious if this will do the job. In addition to paying premium prices I´m also faced with reduced selection, sometimes to the point that entire brands are not available - in this case Noctua, which Puget Systems uses. So I have to make do with the best that´s available and where what is available isn´t ridiculously expensive. Compromise is a big word in my vocabulary when buying gear or just about anything not manufactured here.

Seems that just about every review, comment and article making cooler suggestions (and just about everything else computer related) is done with gaming in mind. Some of which in this case are suggesting that this cooler may not be up to the task considering the CPU can run higher than the TDP (105) and the cooler is rated at 120, and that the TDP numbers are really only a guide.

Wondering in general how much of a difference gaming and photo editing are when it comes to effects on the hardware, and how much to discount (if at all) articles and comments made by users thinking only of gaming.

The other cooler I´m considering is the Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo, but it´s pricier and some articles and videos suggest that though nearly similar as far as temp control, the be quiet is the quieter of the two and the better cooler. I´m just lucky enough to have found one heavily discounted, but I don´t want to have to buy again if this won´t do the job.

I don´t do any gaming. Mostly PS, LR, Capture One, web surfing, etc. Likely no plans on overclocking to squeeze an extra percentage point or nano-second of performance.

Big Swifty's gear list:Big Swifty's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +6 more
NickZ2016 Senior Member • Posts: 2,694
Re: Ryzen 7 5800x CPU cooler - is this one good enough?

Even if you don't get a Noctua on their website they have a page showing if the cooler is rated for the CPU. Find your CPU on the list than pick a cooler with similar performance.

https://ncc.noctua.at/cpus/model/AMD-Ryzen-7%205800X-1046

According to that you need the larger coolers for best performance. I don't know the one you're considering but from the name it sounds smaller. If your case can handle a larger model I'd think about it.

NickZ2016's gear list:NickZ2016's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G +4 more
Pictus
Pictus Veteran Member • Posts: 6,513

Thermalright Frost Spirit 140
https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/thermalright-frost-commander-140-is-a-dual-tower-sideflow-heatpipe-cooler.437308/#post-5901891

https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/1005001476494179.html

Another options:

Zalman CNPS20X
Deepcool Assassin III
Scythe FUMA 2

BTW, make sure it fits your case and motherboard.

OP Big Swifty Regular Member • Posts: 464

Thanks for the suggestions. Forgot to mention:

Asus Tuf Gaming B550M - Plus (mATX)

MSI GTX 1650 Super Gaming

Cooler Master N200 (mini tower) case - "Supports air CPU cooler heights up to 160mm/6.3inch." Also "Supports a 240mm liquid cooling radiator in the front."

This is one of those components I´m trying not to overspend on since I am already paying more than MSRP for the CPU, Motherboard, Monitor, pretty much everything else, and let´s not even talk about the GPU. Not at all concerned or interested in RGB. Prefer air to water cooling. Was hoping to find something decent for around $30, which would hopefully be around $40 here.

Thermalright, Scythe, and Zalman brands are not available in this country. Have come across Deepcool, but not that particular cooler. There´s a guy online selling a used ("like new") Noctua NH-U12s for around $65, but he lives half way across the country. Buying used here is always kind of risky, and combine that with buying used online without getting to see that an item actually works is not at all recommended. No ebay/PayPal guarantees.

I´ll search around for those suggested coolers and maybe I´ll get lucky and find something somewhere where the shipping doesn´t double the cost.

Cooler Master seems to be the most popular mainstream brand available.

Here´s some of what´s available. Lot of duplication:

https://www.sercoplus.com/270-cooler-procesadores

https://compuvisionperu.pe/CYM/shop-list-ctg.php?ctg=008

https://www.yamoshi.com.pe/955-cooler-para-pc

https://www.infotec.com.pe/110-cooler-para-procesador

https://techpointperu.com/Componentes/coolers-para-cpu-and-case-es/?sort=pd.name&order=ASC&limit=100

https://cyccomputer.pe/263-refrigeracion-aire

Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +6 more
Pictus
bmoag Senior Member • Posts: 2,966

Outside of video rendering the most CPU intensive tasks I see using Photoshop is when a plug-in program (On1, Luminar) renders back to Photoshop. Not really long enough to threaten heat instability.

I have a 3800x, similar thermal profile.

The 3800x included the AMD Wraith, pretty to look at but not an optimal cooling solution with idle temps in the low 40s and barely staying under 90 for any extended multi-core cpu activity. The numbers always made me nervous even though AMD marketing said those sustained higher temps were within spec.

I also have an i7 Comet Lake, an even higher thermal profile. Why two big desktops is hard to explain since I can only use one at a time.

I finally gave up on the Wraith and got a 240mm AIO (BeQuiet--its new and is refillable, theoretically). Temps are generally more reasonable but extended CPU runs still spike although I haven't seen throttling. I stuck a big (really big) 3 year old Noctua (don't remember the model but it looks exactly like what they still sell and uses the same fans) on the Comet Lake--similar temp profile.

This has ever been my experience: big air coolers and AIOs are not radically different in real world performance regardless of what you see on Youtube where minor differences in temperatures are exaggerated by the size of the bar graphs. Youtubers gotta rant.

If you go with a big air cooler be sure it will fit in your case before you buy. If you get anything larger than a 120mm AIO (not much better than a wraith) be sure you know where and how to mount the radiator in your case (many can't take a radiator larger than 240mm).

Whatever you get be sure the package includes the needed hardware for the AM4 socket, which is totally different than Intel.

Noise levels are not necessarily better for one type of cooler, it depends on the fans, the case and how far the case is from your little ears. The EVO is highly rated and if it fits would seem a cost effective solution. You also need to look at fan profiles in either the BIOS or if you have software control as that can make a huge difference.

bmoag's gear list:bmoag's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D3300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Nikon Z6
OP Big Swifty Regular Member • Posts: 464

Pictus wrote:

All crappy,the Noctua NH-U12s probably will need the AM4 kit
https://noctua.at/en/nm-am4-mounting-kit

The less worst would be a 240mm water
https://techpointperu.com/Componentes/coolers-para-cpu-and-case-es/sistema-de-enfriamiento-liquido-corsair-hydro-series-h100x-para-cpu-de-intel-amd.html?sort=pd.name&order=ASC&limit=100

I´m assuming "All crappy" is in reference to the options in the links I provided. Bad news, but better to know than waste money on something that´s crap.

I´m sure the guys selling the fancy looking decked out in RGBs builds in the local computer center would recommend some expensive solution which includes a full size tower case as being my only option.

Looks like one of those things I´ll just have to accept that I´m going to have to order from out of the country and pay the corresponding shipping and duties if I want something I know will adequately keep things cool.

I´m pretty used to it. Pretty similar for any kind of photography gear; especially if it´s not Canon or Nikon. I shoot Fuji X and it´s practically non-existant here. Anything you can find is going to be 2 to 3 times the normal price.

Thanks again for the suggestions. I´ll do some research on them and see what solution I can put together, but it´s very helpful to know that my options here basically suck as far as getting a  decent cooler.

tkbslc Forum Pro • Posts: 16,644

Big Swifty wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions. Forgot to mention:

Asus Tuf Gaming B550M - Plus (mATX)

MSI GTX 1650 Super Gaming

Cooler Master N200 (mini tower) case - "Supports air CPU cooler heights up to 160mm/6.3inch." Also "Supports a 240mm liquid cooling radiator in the front."

What are you paying for the 5800x? In the USA best bang for the buck is the i7-10700. If you were originally considering R5 3600, the i7 will be a step up from that, although a little behind the 5800x. i7-10700 is like $275 in the States vs $450 for Ryzen 5800x. It also comes with a built in iGPU, so you can skip the overpriced GPU for now and wait for prices to settle. I really recommend mid-range Intel right now just because of crazy prices on AMD and GPUs.

As to your cooler question, I recommend beQuiet Dark rock slim (not the Pure Rock slim you suggested). It's a big step up and is pretty much silent while keeping my 12 core Ryzen at very good temps even under full load. It costs about $50-60 so not ridiculous.

Hyper 212 is also good enough performance for cheap, but is not very quiet.

AIO Liquid does not actually provide significantly better performance than a good Air cooler.  Check out reviews and youtube comparisons.  It's basically down to just better aesthetics and room to work inside your case.  Many reviews and youtube videos confirm this.

Pictus

Big Swifty wrote:

Looks like one of those things I´ll just have to accept that I´m going to have to order from out of the country and pay the corresponding shipping and duties if I want something I know will adequately keep things cool.

I´m pretty used to it. Pretty similar for any kind of photography gear; especially if it´s not Canon or Nikon. I shoot Fuji X and it´s practically non-existant here. Anything you can find is going to be 2 to 3 times the normal price.

Thanks again for the suggestions. I´ll do some research on them and see what solution I can put together, but it´s very helpful to know that my options here basically suck as far as getting a decent cooler.

You are welcome. Brazil is +- the same...
I found a good option that fits your case and not much expensive, check for RAM height.
ID-COOLING SE-207-XT BLACK for US $41.75

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads