Minolta AF 50mm F/3.5 Macro Lens For Sony Minolta A-mount

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Gesture Veteran Member • Posts: 8,304
Minolta AF 50mm F/3.5 Macro Lens For Sony Minolta A-mount

Anyone adapt one of these older school autofocus lenses to a mirrorless body.  I think there are adapters that will open and close the aperture.

I guess the Nikkor AF-D lenses would be somewhat similar, but with aperture stops.

JG2 New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Minolta AF 50mm F/3.5 Macro Lens For Sony Minolta A-mount

I have experimented a bit with older A-mount lenses on old my a99.  Recently I have tried those same lenses on an a7c with an LA-EA-5. Here's a few things I found.

An A-mount Tokina 17mm prime from the late '90s works well but requires manual focus. Interestingly, since the lens has no aperture ring, you can change the aperture with the dial on the a7c's body.

The camera believes that the lens is a 28-85 zoom, at 17mm.

Another lens I used with the a99 was a Sigma 75-200/2.8 from the mid-90s.  Optically good, but very slow to autofocus on the a99 and useless on the a7c which does not recognize it at all.  It is hard to manually focus and has no aperture ring.

I also used a bunch of old Nikkor glass on a Vello adapter on the a7c.  They work well, but require manual exposure and focus, both of which are fairly straight forward on the a7c body.

Don't know if that helps, but those are my experiences.

Jim

OP Gesture Veteran Member • Posts: 8,304

Thanks.  Will look at that new adapter.

ProfHankD
ProfHankD Veteran Member • Posts: 7,788
A mount lenses on E/FE bodies

Gesture wrote:

Anyone adapt one of these older school autofocus lenses to a mirrorless body. I think there are adapters that will open and close the aperture.

I use Minolta AF / Sony A lenses on Sony E/FE bodies regularly. They tend to be cheaper than other mount lenses and work well, although most are screw driven autofocus. I use the LA-EA1/3 for aperture control on screw-driven lenses, and LA-EA2/4 for aperture and autofocus. I also use manual A lenses on a dumb adapter on an LM-EA7 to do autofocus -- for example, my Samyang 85mm f/1.4.  All good.

Dumb adapters with (uncalibrated) manual aperture rings work, but why use 'em when I have the others?

BTW, the LA-EA5 doesn't make sense for me because I have A7RII and older. I also haven't (yet) bothered with the LA-EA4 mod that removes the SLT mirror.

I guess the Nikkor AF-D lenses would be somewhat similar, but with aperture stops.

Yup. Nikon lenses tended to retain the manual aperture ring. Nikon mount lenses tend to be priced higher than similar in other mounts, so I haven't bothered with many.

ProfHankD's gear list:ProfHankD's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX530 Olympus TG-860 Sony a7R II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sony a6500 +30 more
QuietOC
QuietOC Veteran Member • Posts: 4,830

Here is a bit of a comparison I did of the Minolta AF 50mm F3.5 to the Sony FE 50mm F2.8 both at f/4 at 1:2 magnification with a one dollar bill:

QuietOC's gear list:QuietOC's gear list
Pentax Q7 Sony a7R IV NEX-5T Sony a77 II Sony a7R II +96 more
ProfHankD

QuietOC wrote:

Here is a bit of a comparison I did of the Minolta AF 50mm F3.5 to the Sony FE 50mm F2.8 both at f/4 at 1:2 magnification with a one dollar bill:

Well, that's a night and day comparison!

I don't happen to have the AF 50mm f/3.5 macro, but my Rokkor 50mm f/3.5 is way better than what you're showing. Is there something wrong with that lens?

Canon PowerShot SX530 Olympus TG-860 Sony a7R II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sony a6500 +30 more
QuietOC

ProfHankD wrote:

QuietOC wrote:

Well, that's a night and day comparison!

I don't happen to have the AF 50mm f/3.5 macro, but my Rokkor 50mm f/3.5 is way better than what you're showing. Is there something wrong with that lens?

Maybe. I didn't see any obvious signs. This was my second or third copy. The MD 50mm F3.5 I had was worse. Minolta 50's do tend to vary quite a bit.

ProfHankD

QuietOC wrote:

ProfHankD wrote:

Maybe. I didn't see any obvious signs. This was my second or third copy. The MD 50mm F3.5 I had was worse. Minolta 50's do tend to vary quite a bit.

Were you using an LA-EA2/4 to AF? It might be you have an issue with needing to tweak the focus micro adjustment. I personally haven't run into much of that issue, but some folks have significant front/back focus using the SLT PDAF without tweaking the AF micro adjust. Note that the tweak needed can also be lens dependent, so you'd want to adjust using that lens.

QuietOC

ProfHankD wrote:

QuietOC wrote:

ProfHankD wrote:

Were you using an LA-EA2/4 to AF? It might be you have an issue with needing to tweak the focus micro adjustment. I personally haven't run into much of that issue, but some folks have significant front/back focus using the SLT PDAF without tweaking the AF micro adjust. Note that the tweak needed can also be lens dependent, so you'd want to adjust using that lens.

LA-EA3 on an A6000. I don't use AF for testing lenses. Most often I use focus magnification on large 1080p monitor. I do sometimes find the focus drifting when using screw-driven lenses on the LA-EA3. I also wish Sony would implement stopped down focusing for A-mount lenses.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads