Photo/video editing monitor in $500 range?

Started 2 months ago | Questions
NeedMorePractice Forum Member • Posts: 51
Photo/video editing monitor in $500 range?

The time has come to upgrade my work monitor, as I'm doing more photo and video editing for my company these days, rather than just as a hobbyist. The work is heavy on photo editing, but also includes some 4K Premiere Pro stuff for promo/demo videos.

Currently using a hand-me-down Dell D3218HN, for reference.

New one doesn't need to be 4K, but would be nice.

Color accuracy is obviously a high priority here, preferably out of the box.  Not looking for the highest professional level of performance and accuracy, but I assume something decent can be had under $1k.

Any size between 24" and 32" is fine with me. I'm not the type who needs a giant screen. My home screen is 23" and it's totally fine. If anything, the 32" one I'm using now is almost too big for how close I sit, but 32" is not a deal-breaker.

All input is appreciated.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 8,334
Re: Photo/video editing monitor in $500 range?

NeedMorePractice wrote:

The time has come to upgrade my work monitor, as I'm doing more photo and video editing for my company these days, rather than just as a hobbyist. The work is heavy on photo editing, but also includes some 4K Premiere Pro stuff for promo/demo videos.

Color accuracy is obviously a high priority here, preferably out of the box. Not looking for the highest professional level of performance and accuracy, but I assume something decent can be had under $1k.

Any size between 24" and 32" is fine with me. I'm not the type who needs a giant screen. My home screen is 23" and it's totally fine. If anything, the 32" one I'm using now is almost too big for how close I sit, but 32" is not a deal-breaker.

First, I assume if color accuracy is a must you already have a colorimeter and software for it. If not, you need that.

Second, gamut? some video users want DCI-P3, so you might consider that vs just sRGB. I imagine you don't need more than either of those.

Third, think in terms of the info on the screen, like it's a photo. A 4k is 3840x2160 (usually), and that doesn't change if stretched across 24" or 32" or 56"; it's the same bit of picture. Just the pixels per inch change, and so like a print it matters how close you are to it. You don't want it so close you see the pixels, but not so far you're wasting the detail. Which is why your phone has a higher PPI.

So you might try something even as small as a 4k 24". I've got one by Dell, and it's a terrific monitor IMHO, but I think it's been discontinued.

yardcoyote Forum Pro • Posts: 13,583

Just got a 27 inch ASUS ProArt Display (PA278QV) and I like it very much, even though it reveals the faults in my images rather brutally.

-- hide signature --

Instagram: @yardcoyote

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-M1 +18 more
ken_in_nh Senior Member • Posts: 1,481

Have a Benq sw240 (actually, two!).  Very happy with it.  Plenty big for one person, and accurate.  I splurged and bought a Spyder Pro too, but it's hardly essential.

Satyaa Veteran Member • Posts: 4,287

I got a Dell 27" factory calibrated 4K monitor about two years ago. Can't remember exactly but I didn't pay more than 400.

It works very well.

cj_a
cj_a New Member • Posts: 5

yardcoyote wrote:

Just got a 27 inch ASUS ProArt Display (PA278QV) and I like it very much, even though it reveals the faults in my images rather brutally.

I got the same monitor after seeing it at the top of all "Best Monitors" lists, paid $290 + tax. I also had the same experience! What looks sharp enough on a phone or 13" laptop display....

My use case is photos/stills, so your requirements may be different for video use. But I have been happy with it.

cj_a's gear list:cj_a's gear list
Fujifilm X70 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 R WR
LASR Regular Member • Posts: 264

NeedMorePractice wrote:

Color accuracy is obviously a high priority here, preferably out of the box. Not looking for the highest professional level of performance and accuracy, but I assume something decent can be had under $1k.

For 4K and would be 27'' for 50-60 cm and 32'' for 60-70 cm distance but I agree with you and prefer 27'', and my eyes are at around 70 cm from the monitor. The main price difference would be the colour space and not the size . If you are happy with 100% sRGB a BenQ PD2700U would be $499 but there are more recent versions. If you want 99% Adobe RGB then it will cost twice or more for the same size, one example would be the BenQ SW271C. These monitors are factory calibrated but you should calibrate the monitor from time to time. The SW271C has better HDR support for video. If you are producing mainly content for a webpage sRGB is fine.

yardcoyote Forum Pro • Posts: 13,583

Stills and graphics here as well.

-- hide signature --

Instagram: @yardcoyote

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-M1 +18 more
OP NeedMorePractice Forum Member • Posts: 51

Thank you all for the helpful info.  I ended up going with the BenQ PD3200U.  It was a little over the expected budget, but I'm thrilled so far.

The size is larger than what I needed for photo/video, but honestly with the 4K, the more useable space for administrative tasks is a pleasant surprise (side-by-side Word documents or PDFs, for example).  On my home monitor (about 24" and 1080), it's not nearly as pleasant to try to work with side-by-side situations.

While I don't have color calibration equipment to verify that the "factory calibrated" settings are accurate, I can say for sure that comparing photos and videos on this screen with my old home monitor, previous work monitor, phone, and other screens has demonstrated the color biases and deficiencies of each.  For example, I hadn't realized how much of a yellow tint my phone has (iPhone 12 Mini), but now I can't unsee it, and apparently it's a known problem.  I've verified by comparing with other monitors, as well, and it's not just because I'm comparing it to this new monitor.

The biggest downside to using this PD3200U every day now is that it's bumped up my desire to upgrade my home monitor, which is not in my personal budget any time soon.  So now I have to live with the awareness of how bad it is and how bad my editing is when I have to do so at home...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads