D850 Speedlight

Started 3 months ago | Questions
parambyte
parambyte Forum Member • Posts: 63
D850 Speedlight

No text.

ANSWER:
Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
parambyte
OP parambyte Forum Member • Posts: 63
Re: D850 Speedlight Setup Question

Somehow my original post got published accidentally and I can’t seem to edit it so writing in reply:

If I want a two/three light Speedlight setup with Nikon D850 + WR-R11 and SB5000 as my first Speedlight what are my options for the second/third lights? I believe SB5000 is the only wireless Speedlight from Nikon (And it’s expensive)?

Can I use an SB700 as part of the setup too? (Asking because it would be less expensive than a second SB5000). Will it work with an optical command from SB5000?

Does anyone have experience with a Nikon Speedlight based setup of more than one light?

I understand Godox is almost half the price and I can have a Godox XProN plus 860 series Speedlight too, but for the purpose of THIS post I am considering my options in Nikon.

Paul P K
Paul P K Contributing Member • Posts: 660

parambyte wrote:

Somehow my original post got published accidentally and I can’t seem to edit it so writing in reply:

If I want a two/three light Speedlight setup with Nikon D850 + WR-R11 and SB5000 as my first Speedlight what are my options for the second/third lights? I believe SB5000 is the only wireless Speedlight from Nikon (And it’s expensive)?

Can I use an SB700 as part of the setup too? (Asking because it would be less expensive than a second SB5000). Will it work with an optical command from SB5000?

Does anyone have experience with a Nikon Speedlight based setup of more than one light?

I understand Godox is almost half the price and I can have a Godox XProN plus 860 series Speedlight too, but for the purpose of THIS post I am considering my options in Nikon.

Only 'advantage' of using a Wr11 + SB5000 is that you can change the off camera flash settings using the D850's in camera menu's.

But you can still use of camera speedlights like SB800 and SB910 (which I used when I had the D850) for CLS remote with the old fashion infra red trigger, or wireless with eg PW TT5's (as I did, having bought those over 10 years ago, and which still work with my DSLR's and mirrorless bodies).

Instead of using the in camera menu (which will be impossible and will be 'greyed out') install either a Master function capable speedlight, or a SU800, or other Master capable device on your transmitter, on the D850 and use the menu of that Master to remotely dial in the settings of the remote speedlights.

I used to have a PWTT5 with a AC3 Zone Controller as transmitter on camera (much less bulky, and lighter then eg a SB800 or SB910), with the remote speedllghts on TT5's as receiver. Reportedly Godox and other receivers/transmitters will do the job for less money, but those weren't around yet when I got my PW's

-- hide signature --

all in a day's work
http://www.pbase.com/paul_k/

Paul P K's gear list:Paul P K's gear list
Nikon D1H Nikon D800 Nikon D4S Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 II +31 more
PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 17,791

Paul P K wrote:

I used to have a PWTT5 with a AC3 Zone Controller as transmitter on camera (much less bulky, and lighter then eg a SB800 or SB910), with the remote speedllghts on TT5's as receiver. Reportedly Godox and other receivers/transmitters will do the job for less money, but those weren't around yet when I got my PW's

I have been using PocketWizards for 10 years or so now.  Started with D300, then D700, D800e, D810 and now D850.   I also have the Flex TT5 model with the Mini TT1 and AC3 zone controller.

Beware the latest E firmware update on the PW's!   If you use it, you will gain some range with the TT5's, but the Mini TT5 and  AC3 zone controller will no longer work.  Which really sucks because then you have to buy another Flex TT5 to replace the Mini TT1.  I bought the firmware update, downloaded but never installed it.  (Now I would probably go with the cheaper Godox stuff, but I do see some discounting of PW prices.)

To the OP - I have not used the new Nikon wireless radio-based system.  My newest flash is the SB-910.   When I use strobes, it is generally in a very controlled setup.  I clear out my garage for a day, usually Thanksgiving when the family is over.  I shoot them for Christmas cards images.

I use the Mini TT1 + AC3 on camera, which wirelessly controls the three PW TT5's I have.   I use SB-910 on one, SB-900 on another, SB-800 on the third, and sometimes I'll use an old SB-26 as a fourth slave and even an SB-24 (with 'peanut' optical slave trigger).

The three strobes on PW's are generally shot in manual mode as I use them in a controlled studio environment.  I dial in the flash power settings before a shoot and then rarely do much adjusting.   The one or two strobes that do not have PocketWizards are triggered optically in SU-4 mode and set manually at the flash.  I only use these for hairlights or gelled background lighting.

If you buy used, I see some amazingly low pricing on PW's now.   Flex TT5 for $40 from Adorama.  ($250 new for me).   Mini TT5 for $50 and AC3 for $5.

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net
"I miss the days when I was nostalgic."

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +37 more
parambyte

Thanks Paul and Phxazcraig.

Pocket Wizards is indeed a very flexible solution.

I was wonder No I I use an SB5000 off camera using a WR-R11, will it be able to control and sync a second Speedlight off camera?

rumple
rumple Senior Member • Posts: 1,681

parambyte wrote:

[...]

If I want a two/three light Speedlight setup with Nikon D850 + WR-R11 and SB5000 as my first Speedlight what are my options for the second/third lights?

Many

I believe SB5000 is the only wireless Speedlight from Nikon

It is.

(And it’s expensive)?

It is. They go for a more affordable price used. Having said that, built-in cooling, good recycle time, good focus assist light, etc., provides some additional value.  They also have features most people don't use, like operating the focus assist light on an SC-29 cable or Auto Aperture flash mode.

Can I use an SB700 as part of the setup too? (Asking because it would be less expensive than a second SB5000).

Will it work with an optical command from SB5000?

The SB-700 will work in Groups A,B, and C through optical CLS if the SB-5000 is on-body and setup as a Commander.   If the SB-5000 is off-camera, it can only be a Remote, not a Commander, so it can't issue CLS commands to the SB-700.  I'm pretty sure that's correct, if anyone knows better please point to the manual or similar.

Or, the SB-700 could be set to fire in SU-4 mode if you're doing everything in Manual vs. TTL.    But then you would not have remote control of the SB-700, just remote triggering.

I've recently started getting familiar with the WR-R10 / SB-5000 combination with two SB-5000s. Works great and I get multi-body triggering to boot.

I'm moving away from Godox for events because of focus-assist light - don't need it much but do need it sometimes - relatively warm white balance, and TTL reliability - they work well enough and are cost-competitive, but I find that the SB-5000 is more accurate for exposure and just plain more reliable for going pop when it needs to.

Pocket Wizards is indeed a very flexible solution.

Lots of people love their ControlTL PW units. Not me - I sold my units at a loss not long after acquiring them.

On the ControlTL, one needs to push "test" for each power level change.  Annoying and slow.

And I found them temperamental - I had enough misfires to be embarrassing (up-to-date firmware, clean contacts, fresh batteries, correct turn-on sequence) whether on Manual or TTL.

And FV Lock isn't available at all, which is a show-stopper for me (not for everyone). That, ultimately, is why I sold them. But the frequent misfires would have pushed me away from them soon enough.

-- hide signature --

"THINK" - Watson

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
parambyte

Thanks @rumple.

i think your post clears most of my questions.

i think I will get a new SB5000 and WR-R11a for my D850 and a used SB700/800/900 as a second off camera light for the time being and use it in manual mode like you suggested. When I am able to save a little more, will go for a new SB5000 or who knows Nikon May release a wireless version of the less expensive Speedlight.

sarayfoto
sarayfoto Regular Member • Posts: 118

I use to have 2xSB600/2xSB800 and sold them all.

For in field work I use to have a bunch of old manual vivitar 283, and Yongnuo flashes with yn trigger.

Then upgraded to yn hss, then moved to godox line and their system.

Now, very satisfied with godox, and will continue to use them.

I can combine and use all of those new godox line, and with godox and yn receivers all of the hot shoe flashes I have, vivitars, yn and godox.

Have few of the 200/300 and 600ws strobes, which I barely use now.

I can fire all of them with Godox Xpro and receivers, and with old yn receivers to.

I can also use old yongnuo als remote for my cameras, D300/600/850

still works great, and cost way less than one of the SB500.

If you want to stick to Nikon own, it's up to you.

If you want to check out few other brand, I can highly recomend godox line.

sarayfoto's gear list:sarayfoto's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D600 Nikon D850
rumple
rumple Senior Member • Posts: 1,681

sarayfoto wrote:

[...]

If you want to check out few other brand, I can highly recomend godox line.

I have an assortment of Godox speedlights (e.g., V860N II), a couple of transmitters, two receivers, and an AD360 II with PB-960, etc.  But thank you for suggesting.

-- hide signature --

"THINK" - Watson

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads