Astrophotography with GFX50r

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
yogi4fitness
yogi4fitness Regular Member • Posts: 162
Astrophotography with GFX50r

What would be good lens for astrophotography on the GFX50R, the GF 23 or the Laowa 17? They are both F4 but the laowa is less than half the price and manual focus.

JimKasson
MOD JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 33,447
Re: Astrophotography with GFX50r

yogi4fitness wrote:

What would be good lens for astrophotography on the GFX50R, the GF 23 or the Laowa 17? They are both F4 but the laowa is less than half the price and manual focus.

Tracker, or no tracker?

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon Z7 Fujifilm GFX 100 Sony a7R IV Sony a9 II +1 more
yogi4fitness
OP yogi4fitness Regular Member • Posts: 162

JimKasson wrote:

yogi4fitness wrote:

Tracker, or no tracker?

no tracker. But would the choice be different if I was going to use a tracker (in future)?

-- hide signature --
JimKasson
MOD JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 33,447

yogi4fitness wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

yogi4fitness wrote:

Tracker, or no tracker?

no tracker. But would the choice be different if I was going to use a tracker (in future)?

I’m thinking F/4 is pretty slow with no tracker. So the answer may be none of the above.

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon Z7 Fujifilm GFX 100 Sony a7R IV Sony a9 II +1 more
yogi4fitness

JimKasson wrote:

yogi4fitness wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

yogi4fitness wrote:

Tracker, or no tracker?

I’m thinking F/4 is pretty slow with no tracker. So the answer may be none of the above.

is there another option without tracker? And if I used a tracker which out of the two would be a better choice?

-- hide signature --
Navman Regular Member • Posts: 464

I've used the GF23 quite a lot for astro with a tracker, and find that it performs best at F/5.6 which usually requires at least a 2 minute exposure at ISO 640 - this is fairly readily achievable using a lower end tracker such as an Ioptron Skytracker pro, which I align with my cellphone. Alternatively, you can stack multiple short exposures of say 10 seconds, but you would have to use a much higher ISO, and your dynamic range will suffer.

Another approach if you're happy to stitch panoramas is to use a faster lens in a longer focal length. Over the last week or so I've been trialing the new GF80 with tracked 2-minute exposures and its spectacularly sharp at F/2.8 (below).

From this, you can probably see that in my view, if you want to go far with this, investment in a lower end tracker would get you a lot further than trying to shoot untracked images.

-John

GF23 - four 2-minute exposures at F/5.6 and ISO 640

Large Magellanic Cloud - 10 tracked exposures of 2 minutes with GF80 at F/2.8, ISO 400

Navman's gear list:Navman's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 50R
NotASpeckOfCereal Senior Member • Posts: 1,940

Navman wrote:

I've used the GF23 quite a lot for astro with a tracker, and find that it performs best at F/5.6 which usually requires at least a 2 minute exposure at ISO 640 - this is fairly readily achievable using a lower end tracker such as an Ioptron Skytracker pro,

Nice shots John!

If you can upgrade to the SkyGuider Pro (from the SkyTracker), you get close to twice the payload capacity and the mounting bracket can take the counterweight kit for better balance. It's still relatively affordable, especially if you're serious about good astro shots.

I have yet to use this with my GFX system though. I've had it for a few years on the FF rig and it works great.

Chris

NotASpeckOfCereal's gear list:NotASpeckOfCereal's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D850 Fujifilm GFX 100S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +16 more
weihaowang Forum Member • Posts: 98

GF23mm, no tracker:

https://flic.kr/p/2kKNdyU

Check my Flickr gallery for some more GFX astrophotos, both tracked and untracked.

NotASpeckOfCereal wrote:

Navman wrote:

I've used the GF23 quite a lot for astro with a tracker, and find that it performs best at F/5.6 which usually requires at least a 2 minute exposure at ISO 640 - this is fairly readily achievable using a lower end tracker such as an Ioptron Skytracker pro,

Nice shots John!

If you can upgrade to the SkyGuider Pro (from the SkyTracker), you get close to twice the payload capacity and the mounting bracket can take the counterweight kit for better balance. It's still relatively affordable, especially if you're serious about good astro shots.

I have yet to use this with my GFX system though. I've had it for a few years on the FF rig and it works great.

Chris

Where portability is not an issue, I use my GFX on a Lightrack II with counterbalance kit, but didn't think suggesting this was necessarily useful given the OP - I find the Skytracker more than adequate with the 23mm lens when I don't want to carry my Lightrack as in the image below.

-John

Fujifilm GFX 50R
yogi4fitness

Navman wrote:

I've used the GF23 quite a lot for astro with a tracker, and find that it performs best at F/5.6 which usually requires at least a 2 minute exposure at ISO 640 - this is fairly readily achievable using a lower end tracker such as an Ioptron Skytracker pro, which I align with my cellphone. Alternatively, you can stack multiple short exposures of say 10 seconds, but you would have to use a much higher ISO, and your dynamic range will suffer.

Another approach if you're happy to stitch panoramas is to use a faster lens in a longer focal length. Over the last week or so I've been trialing the new GF80 with tracked 2-minute exposures and its spectacularly sharp at F/2.8 (below).

From this, you can probably see that in my view, if you want to go far with this, investment in a lower end tracker would get you a lot further than trying to shoot untracked images.

-John

Large Magellanic Cloud - 10 tracked exposures of 2 minutes with GF80 at F/2.8, ISO 400

Wow amazing shots John. Seems like its best to invest in a Sky Tracker if I want to get good astrophotography shots.

yogi4fitness

Navman wrote:

NotASpeckOfCereal wrote:

Navman wrote:

Nice shots John!

Chris

Where portability is not an issue, I use my GFX on a Lightrack II with counterbalance kit, but didn't think suggesting this was necessarily useful given the OP - I find the Skytracker more than adequate with the 23mm lens when I don't want to carry my Lightrack as in the image below.

-John

Wow another mind-blowing shot! If I used a tracker would the Laowa be a better choice since its wider?

yogi4fitness wrote:

Navman wrote:

NotASpeckOfCereal wrote:

Navman wrote:

Nice shots John!

Chris

-John

Wow another mind-blowing shot! If I used a tracker would the Laowa be a better choice since its wider?

A lot of people seem to want to go as wide as possible, but I had the equivalent Laowa on my Sony and wasn't impressed - I'd stick with the Fujinon and learn to stitch - this was taken as three images...

-John

Fujifilm GFX 50R
SeeingSomeThingsMissingMany Regular Member • Posts: 203
practical examples Re: Astrophotography with GFX50r

Navman wrote:

-John

Navman wrote:

-John

I far prefer practical examples as these, compared to theorising.

This last image with iOptron Skytracker is spectacular.

-- hide signature --

Photography after all is interplay of light alongside perspective.

SeeingSomeThingsMissingMany's gear list:SeeingSomeThingsMissingMany's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS70 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Olympus E-PL8 Huawei P20 Pro
NotASpeckOfCereal Senior Member • Posts: 1,940
Re: practical examples Re: Astrophotography with GFX50r

SeeingSomeThingsMissingMany wrote:

So if you don't post examples, you must have no practical experience?

Chris

NotASpeckOfCereal's gear list:NotASpeckOfCereal's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D850 Fujifilm GFX 100S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +16 more
SeeingSomeThingsMissingMany Regular Member • Posts: 203
Re: practical examples Re: Astrophotography with GFX50r

NotASpeckOfCereal wrote:

SeeingSomeThingsMissingMany wrote:

So if you don't post examples, you must have no practical experience?

Chris.

Chris you misunderstood. Two other people agreeing with you also misunderstood.

It's alright.

On dpreview forums plenty of people theorise without actually having practical experience of a particular setup.

-- hide signature --

Photography after all is interplay of light alongside perspective.

SeeingSomeThingsMissingMany's gear list:SeeingSomeThingsMissingMany's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS70 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Olympus E-PL8 Huawei P20 Pro
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads