Canon rumored R7. I'm calling it...

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
MikeJ9116 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,995
Re: So What Will it Take

Michael Thomas Mitchell wrote:

Jeff Peterman wrote:

"You’ve missed that the R5 is better than what a 7D3 would be"

But that was true with the 5D MKIV and the 7D2 too: the difference was that the 5D was much more expensive, and I'd expect a crop version of the R5 (R7?) to be significantly cheaper than the R5 too.

And therein lies the problem that I've outlined. The 7DII was considerably cheaper than the 5DIII/IV precisely because it utilized an APS-C sensor. Otherwise, the cameras were virtually identical. Today, that cost differential in the sensors just doesn't make that possible because the manufacturing costs of the larger sensors have come down so much that even an RP costs less than a third of the original 5D from fifteen years earlier. And even then it would presume that Canon is even inclined to put an APS-C sensor in an R body. And so far there is no evidence of that. So where does a successor to the 7DII even fit in the R line if it needs to be cheaper than the R5? The answer is that it doesn't.

I think pro-quality APS-C in the Canon line reached a dead end with the 7DII, no differently than APS-H died with the 1D Mark IV. If Canon continues with APS-C, my guess is that it will be in consumer grade cameras, mostly likely the M series. Given that the original M50 was Canon's best selling camera just a year ago, the M line seems secure for now.

The main reason long telephoto action shooters love the 7D/2 is the pixel density that an APS-C sensor puts on the target compared to a FF sensor when both are using the same lens. To match the 32mp APS-C sensor in this regard a FF sensor would need to have a resolution of around 80mp. Serious BIF/action shooters will buy an R7 in droves.  Even if they already own the R5 or R6.

Messier Object Forum Pro • Posts: 10,996
Re: what about the R1 ?

Messier Object wrote:

By the same ‘logic’ we might conclude that there’s no place now for an R1

Peter

Not at all. Sensor size was not the only difference between the 1D-series and the 7D-series.

The point is that, from a marketing perspective, there's really no need for a fast APS-C R3-type body. If an R3 might retail at a price point higher than an R5, it would probably be in the $4K-4.5K range. A theoretical R-series successor to the 7DII would need to be in the $2.5K range. (The original price for the 7DII was about $2K, and the R-series cameras seem to debut roughly 25% higher than their DSLR predecessors.) It is unrealistic to expect what would essentially be an APS-C version of an R3 to cost up to $2K less, especially when the entry-level full-frame RP has retails for under $1K.

At the moment, Canon has two wholly distinct product lines: an APS-C M-series and a full-frame R-series.

• RP 1000 Entry
  • R 1800 Standard
  • R6 2600 Enthusiast
  • R5 3800 Professional high-resolution standard
  • R3 4500 Professional fast (actual price unknown)
  • R1 ???? Flagship (unknown but presumed)

While the R3 is built for speed, it likely won't have features I would expect in an R1 such as a global shutter and quad-pixel AF. An R1 will likely also feature a new large battery system. The question for the R3 is whether or not the "1D-inspired" body would also include the same large battery system. I would expect an R1 to cost well beyond 1DX-series prices.

I leave some question as to whether and/or how the R and RP models might ultimately shake out. With the RP, Canon was clearly showing a desire to have an entry-level full-frame R-series body. The specs on the RP are, accordingly, underwhelming for any enthusiast, much less professional; it's basically an R-series Rebel. The original R now seems only there to fill a price point, like an advanced Rebel. The R6 is a solid entry for enthusiasts, while the R5 and R3 are clearly aimed at the same pro-oriented crowd as the 5DIV and 7DII, albeit the latter now with a full-frame sensor; basically, affordable tools for the professional. Then, of course, the R1 as the ultimate flagship camera featuring the most advanced tech at a premium price.

Note that this line can still accommodate an ultra-high resolution body in the same spirit as the 5Ds/r. (And could still accommodate such even with a rumored medium format.)

Looking at the lineup, it's clear what DOESN'T belong here: an APS-C body. Here are several reasons why:

1. A successor to the 7DII would feature speed in a tough body. That's what the R3 seems to offer.

a successor the the 7DII needs to have a high pixel density - at least the same as the 90D

If you can’t understand why then you will never understand why I preferred a 7DII to a 1DX (hint, size and price had nothing to do with it)

1. With EVF, a digital "crop-mode" for extra "reach" is not only possible but far more practical. To the user, there would be virtually no difference.

the FF camera will need 82 Megapixels to equal the pixel density of a 90D. Do you really expect the R3 to have that ?

1. No APS-C-specific R-series lenses. With the potential for crop-mode, the only advantage to an APS-C sensor body is the potential for smaller lenses. Lenses are not merely a product; they are part of an "eco-system" of products. There's no hint of any such lenses in development. And a theoretical APS-C R-series 7DII successor would be the ONLY body to be able to take advantage of them.

I don’t want smaller lenses. I have my EF lenses

I always thought the 7DII was a bargain. It was basically a very fast 5DIII/IV made possible by an APS-C sensor but costing significantly less. Those market conditions simply do not exist any longer.

Where APS-C sensor were once necessary for cost and speed, their biggest advantage now is for camera and lens size. The R3 looks more like a smaller brother to a potential R1. Thus, it may not necessarily be a direct successor to the 7DII, but it does essentially replace it.

no, you don’t seem to understand why so many wildlife photographers want an APS-C camera, so no point  arguing with you

Petet

Dave
Dave Veteran Member • Posts: 5,905
Re: What about the R1 ?

I'm glad I'm not in a hurry.

Dave's gear list:Dave's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +10 more
OP Michael Thomas Mitchell Forum Pro • Posts: 12,158
Re: what about the R1 ?

Messier Object wrote:

Messier Object wrote:

By the same ‘logic’ we might conclude that there’s no place now for an R1

Peter

Not at all. Sensor size was not the only difference between the 1D-series and the 7D-series.

The point is that, from a marketing perspective, there's really no need for a fast APS-C R3-type body. If an R3 might retail at a price point higher than an R5, it would probably be in the $4K-4.5K range. A theoretical R-series successor to the 7DII would need to be in the $2.5K range. (The original price for the 7DII was about $2K, and the R-series cameras seem to debut roughly 25% higher than their DSLR predecessors.) It is unrealistic to expect what would essentially be an APS-C version of an R3 to cost up to $2K less, especially when the entry-level full-frame RP has retails for under $1K.

At the moment, Canon has two wholly distinct product lines: an APS-C M-series and a full-frame R-series.

• RP 1000 Entry
  • R 1800 Standard
  • R6 2600 Enthusiast
  • R5 3800 Professional high-resolution standard
  • R3 4500 Professional fast (actual price unknown)
  • R1 ???? Flagship (unknown but presumed)

While the R3 is built for speed, it likely won't have features I would expect in an R1 such as a global shutter and quad-pixel AF. An R1 will likely also feature a new large battery system. The question for the R3 is whether or not the "1D-inspired" body would also include the same large battery system. I would expect an R1 to cost well beyond 1DX-series prices.

I leave some question as to whether and/or how the R and RP models might ultimately shake out. With the RP, Canon was clearly showing a desire to have an entry-level full-frame R-series body. The specs on the RP are, accordingly, underwhelming for any enthusiast, much less professional; it's basically an R-series Rebel. The original R now seems only there to fill a price point, like an advanced Rebel. The R6 is a solid entry for enthusiasts, while the R5 and R3 are clearly aimed at the same pro-oriented crowd as the 5DIV and 7DII, albeit the latter now with a full-frame sensor; basically, affordable tools for the professional. Then, of course, the R1 as the ultimate flagship camera featuring the most advanced tech at a premium price.

Note that this line can still accommodate an ultra-high resolution body in the same spirit as the 5Ds/r. (And could still accommodate such even with a rumored medium format.)

Looking at the lineup, it's clear what DOESN'T belong here: an APS-C body. Here are several reasons why:

1. A successor to the 7DII would feature speed in a tough body. That's what the R3 seems to offer.

a successor the the 7DII needs to have a high pixel density - at least the same as the 90D

If you can’t understand why then you will never understand why I preferred a 7DII to a 1DX (hint, size and price had nothing to do with it)

1. With EVF, a digital "crop-mode" for extra "reach" is not only possible but far more practical. To the user, there would be virtually no difference.

the FF camera will need 82 Megapixels to equal the pixel density of a 90D. Do you really expect the R3 to have that ?

1. No APS-C-specific R-series lenses. With the potential for crop-mode, the only advantage to an APS-C sensor body is the potential for smaller lenses. Lenses are not merely a product; they are part of an "eco-system" of products. There's no hint of any such lenses in development. And a theoretical APS-C R-series 7DII successor would be the ONLY body to be able to take advantage of them.

I don’t want smaller lenses. I have my EF lenses

I always thought the 7DII was a bargain. It was basically a very fast 5DIII/IV made possible by an APS-C sensor but costing significantly less. Those market conditions simply do not exist any longer.

Where APS-C sensor were once necessary for cost and speed, their biggest advantage now is for camera and lens size. The R3 looks more like a smaller brother to a potential R1. Thus, it may not necessarily be a direct successor to the 7DII, but it does essentially replace it.

no, you don’t seem to understand why so many wildlife photographers want an APS-C camera, so no point arguing with you

Petet

I'm not arguing that they might want one. I am only suggesting what Canon's marketing plan may be. I have always conceded that this is only my opinion and that I have no crystal ball and could be wrong. Unfortunately, you seem to want to take it personally and resort to rude attacks. I do understand what you're saying. But the 7DII is now nearly SEVEN years old, with no successor in sight and no APS-C model yet in the R line. If you know something about their market strategy other than what we see, I'm open to hear it. If you find offense to my speculations, you are not required to contribute to this thread.

Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list:Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV GoPro Hero7 Black +6 more
Stakeouttoo
Stakeouttoo Senior Member • Posts: 1,246
Re: Canon rumored R7. I'm calling it...

ALL this sounds reasonable but as I have said a number of times in different threads on here and elsewhere Canon has thrown ALL of us DSLR users to the wolves--abandoning us... so much for sound marketing strategy by a major company..

the deal with the EF to RF adapters sounds good on paper-- buy the Adapter for a mere $99 bucks to be able to use your EF/EF-S lenses on mirrorless-- but it sure seems that the availability to get one has tightened to a point that just about no authorized dealers have them or can get them.. pretty slick strategy on Canon's part but very obvious on what they are doing-- at least from my standpoint

the only way to get some of us die-hard DSLR users back and into mirrorless is for Canon to make good on a replacement for the 7DMKII so I say the R7 is on the near horizon as a 7DMkIII replacement.. if it doesn't come about I'll stay with my DSLR's and hope for the best and continue to enjoy my picture taking with what I have

as a longtime Canon-only user just disappointed with what they are doing

-- hide signature --

Ray
my Canon 6DMkII sure beats using that ol' Petri 7s 35mm back in 1967 in RVN

Stakeouttoo's gear list:Stakeouttoo's gear list
Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS II USM +9 more
Mark B.
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 28,421
Re: So What Will it Take

Jeff Peterman wrote:

"You’ve missed that the R5 is better than what a 7D3 would be"

But that was true with the 5D MKIV and the 7D2 too: the difference was that the 5D was much more expensive, and I'd expect a crop version of the R5 (R7?) to be significantly cheaper than the R5 too.

And therein lies the problem that I've outlined. The 7DII was considerably cheaper than the 5DIII/IV precisely because it utilized an APS-C sensor. Otherwise, the cameras were virtually identical. Today, that cost differential in the sensors just doesn't make that possible because the manufacturing costs of the larger sensors have come down so much that even an RP costs less than a third of the original 5D from fifteen years earlier.

Same can be said for APS-C sensors.  A Rebel with a kit lens is retailing for <$500.  The first consumer-oriented DSLR, the D30, originally retailed for around $2,500.

And even then it would presume that Canon is even inclined to put an APS-C sensor in an R body. And so far there is no evidence of that. So where does a successor to the 7DII even fit in the R line if it needs to be cheaper than the R5? The answer is that it doesn't.

In your opinion

I think pro-quality APS-C in the Canon line reached a dead end with the 7DII, no differently than APS-H died with the 1D Mark IV. If Canon continues with APS-C, my guess is that it will be in consumer grade cameras, mostly likely the M series. Given that the original M50 was Canon's best selling camera just a year ago, the M line seems secure for now.

The M series is a dead end.  There's been little to no development in lenses, and I don't believe there are any 3rd party EF-M lenses.

EJ Fudd
EJ Fudd Senior Member • Posts: 1,864

its PRICE POINTS..not many will be able to afford the high price tag of the r3

they will come out with something 2k to 2500..other wize they are missing a lot of sales

-- hide signature --

"The fact is that relatively few photographers ever master their medium. Instead they allow the medium to master them and go on an endless squirrel cage chase from new lens to new paper to new developer to new gadget, never staying with one piece of equipment long enough to learn its full capacities, becoming lost in a maze of technical information that is of little or no use since they don't know what to do with it."
A Great Quote by Edward Weston...

EJ Fudd's gear list:EJ Fudd's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +19 more
Distinctly Average Senior Member • Posts: 1,206

Stakeouttoo wrote:

ALL this sounds reasonable but as I have said a number of times in different threads on here and elsewhere Canon has thrown ALL of us DSLR users to the wolves--abandoning us... so much for sound marketing strategy by a major company..

the deal with the EF to RF adapters sounds good on paper-- buy the Adapter for a mere $99 bucks to be able to use your EF/EF-S lenses on mirrorless-- but it sure seems that the availability to get one has tightened to a point that just about no authorized dealers have them or can get them.. pretty slick strategy on Canon's part but very obvious on what they are doing-- at least from my standpoint

i don’t think Canon can be blamed for the current shortages. I cannot think of a single new product, and many older ones, that are not in short supply at the moment. Try getting a PS5, a GPU, most brands cameras and lenses, even many new cars. So much is in short supply sure to the silicon crisis coupled with Covid. Hopefully by the end of summer that will change. Currently almost every electronics product is out of stock in many countries. I’ve been trying for four months to get a star tracker for instance. Even garden furniture is almost impossible to find here in the UK.

the only way to get some of us die-hard DSLR users back and into mirrorless is for Canon to make good on a replacement for the 7DMKII so I say the R7 is on the near horizon as a 7DMkIII replacement.. if it doesn't come about I'll stay with my DSLR's and hope for the best and continue to enjoy my picture taking with what I have

as a longtime Canon-only user just disappointed with what they are doing

I too am a long term Canon user hoping an R7 arrives sometime soon. My old 7D2 has seen better days. I keep considering an R5 but just don’t want a FF camera as like many, I often shoot reach limited situations.

-- hide signature --
IR1234 Senior Member • Posts: 1,888

I believe that today's announcement of the new R3 reveals the future of the rumored 7DII successor R7: it's not going to happen.

I've said that from the start.

The clue was the 600 and 800 RF F11 lenses. Canon used the advantages of mirrorless (eg gain on the lcd so you don't get a dim view), and full frame gets that much more light. So the advantages of APS-C are over for wildlife photographers. Sure, there are people who are gonna turn their nose up for f11, but most of the reviews I saw were very positive to those lenses.

The other issue is that the 7D2 is a 2014 camera that had an introductory price of $1799.

So 7 years later, we're still waiting for a replacement? There is optimism and there is reality. If it happens, great, if not, meh.

Then there is the issue of the R6, which by all means is the 7D3, albeit full frame. And look at the price, $2499. 7 years at 3%pa from $1799, bring you to around $2200 (as a guess). Canon never go down on pricing when they introduce the new model, they always go up. $2200 vs $2499? The R6 is the R7.

Even if you don't accept that, why would the R7 be less than $2200? And what does a $2200 body do to R6 sales, why would Canon eat into their R6 sales for another body?

We already know that Canon have a production problem, why would you introduce another body to compete against what is turning into a very successful model like the R6? And as space frees up in your production with dropping 7D2 and 90D sales, why not use that space for the R3?

IR1234's gear list:IR1234's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 550D +13 more
MikeJ9116 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,995

The main reason people want a R7 is because the 32mp APS-C sensor puts pixels on the target equivalent to an 80mp FF sensor. Also, BIF and other action shooters are clicking off frames at a ferocious pace and it is much easier to process and store 32mp images than 45mp images. Especially considering the advantages of the APS-C sensors crop factor regarding long telephoto shooting. There is a great need for a R7 for those who are into shooting long telephoto lenses.

Mark B.

MikeJ9116 wrote:

The main reason people want a R7 is because the 32mp APS-C sensor puts pixels on the target equivalent to an 80mp FF sensor. Also, BIF and other action shooters are clicking off frames at a ferocious pace and it is much easier to process and store 32mp images than 45mp images. Especially considering the advantages of the APS-C sensors crop factor regarding long telephoto shooting. There is a great need for a R7 for those who are into shooting long telephoto lenses.

Exactly this.  I don't want to pay for a high performance 80mp ff body to shoot a 32mp image with my existing glass.

A $2k crop body would be fine.

Mark

IR1234 Senior Member • Posts: 1,888

MikeJ9116 wrote:

That was my point about the 600 and 800s. Canon built two lenses that takes into account the crop. It's now 800mm on full frame with no crop, with an R6 and RP retaining at least 20MP from the 7D2. (Vs 100-400 with a 1.4x convertor. So f5.6 becomes f8, and anyone who has compared crop to ff knows you gain another 1.5 stops, f11 ff should appear around f6.3.)

Personally, I think the 600/800 lenses showed exactly where Canon were going, and I really think APS-C is dead at this point. We're over two years into RF at this point. The Canon R was September 2018. The 7D2 was September 2014.

And I'm sure in an interview with someone from Canon, they even said the R6 was the 7D2 replacement.

Ok, think about it from another perspective. APS-C was done because of cost, it's a cheaper sensor. It wasn't done for any other reason than that. But the low end camera market is being torn apart by phones. So why would you introduce a cheaper version of the R6 and introduce all the crop lens nonsense again?

(And for the record I'm a huge fan of the 7D/7D2).

IR1234's gear list:IR1234's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 550D +13 more
cnyphotoguy Regular Member • Posts: 421
List of EF-M lens options...more than you thought

Mark B. wrote:

The M series is a dead end. There's been little to no development in lenses, and I don't believe there are any 3rd party EF-M lenses.

More lens options than most in the thread believe - (Almost) complete list of native EF-M lenses v3: Canon EOS M Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review (dpreview.com)

cnyphotoguy's gear list:cnyphotoguy's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon EOS 90D Sigma 10mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Diagonal Fisheye Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +8 more
Re: List of EF-M lens options...more than you thought

cnyphotoguy wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

The M series is a dead end. There's been little to no development in lenses, and I don't believe there are any 3rd party EF-M lenses.

More lens options than most in the thread believe - (Almost) complete list of native EF-M lenses v3: Canon EOS M Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review (dpreview.com)

Still only 8 Canon lenses. Third party does not figure into the calculations where Canon bean counters are concerned. Unless Canon release new M glass soon I would guess the system is to be retired.

-- hide signature --
sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 19,020

Jack Calypso wrote:

M system supporters want more development in the system. Action shooters want RF-on-APS-C.

My wife has an M50. It's a nice little camera. But compared to EFS, the lenses are too expensive for what they are, and I don't see any third party development. Still, they are very popular with Youtubers.

What EF-M lenses are expensive compared to EF-S?

To satisfy both, make an EOS-RM camera, APS-C with IBIS, a nice shutter, and interchangeable lens mounts.

Canon's mirrorless strategy seems apparent now: APS-C for the M format and full-frame for R. And they do not appear to be concerned about pros using the M system.

Add interchangeable top plates for with and without EVF, to quiet arguments about those.

Canon also seems committed to pure mirrorless. And the M6II's add-on EVF seems to be one of the most disdained features they've yet introduced in that system.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Samyang AF 35mm F1.8 FE Samyang AF 45mm F1.8 FE
sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 19,020

I think an APS-C R7 is likely. The level of enthusiasm for it from wildlife RF shooters is vocal and annoying enough that I think there may be real demand for it. What is $2000 in the context of a bunch of big whites? The widespread cancellation of EF lenses signals a shift for Canon as well. I was wrong about the R6 getting the 1DX sensor so I might as well get ahead of the R7 thing now. It's gonna happen, prob by the end of the year.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Samyang AF 35mm F1.8 FE Samyang AF 45mm F1.8 FE
Stakeouttoo

why I blamed Canon.. Canon can't even get the EF-RF adapter out --a basic piece of metal with only contacts on it... so I blame them for that... if shortages were not their fault how do they have the nerve to announce yet another high end camera-- the R3 like they are promoting on their site.. looks to me like planned shortages to keep the prices up.. and to heck with all of us DSLR users Canon R3 announcement LINK

Ray

Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS II USM +9 more

Stakeouttoo wrote:

why I blamed Canon.. Canon can't even get the EF-RF adapter out --a basic piece of metal with only contacts on it... so I blame them for that... if shortages were not their fault how do they have the nerve to announce yet another high end camera-- the R3 like they are promoting on their site.. looks to me like planned shortages to keep the prices up.. and to heck with all of us DSLR users Canon R3 announcement LINK

Ray

Well, it is a development announcement and not really a release. Sony are doing the same with their latest camera, something that is harder to get than the RF-EF adapter. I can actually get hold of a nee Canon EF adapter here in the UK, cannot get many other things I am after.

I do get your frustration on the DSLR front. Had a 7D3 come out I would be using one now. If an R7 comes out I will almost certainly be getting one. I have used loads of kit but my muscle memory prefers Canon ergonomics, Just wish they would hurry up.

-- hide signature --
Mark B.
Re: List of EF-M lens options...more than you thought

cnyphotoguy wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

8 native Canon lenses.  In the meantime there are already 10 Canon RF lenses.

Stakeouttoo

I was also waiting for the 7dMkIII to show up.. since it will never happen.. will the R7 ever come to being... we shall see

-- hide signature --

Ray

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads