WG-70 Star Settings?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
LTCSZ New Member • Posts: 16
WG-70 Star Settings?

I want to start learning how to take Star Trail photos with the WG-70...I suspect it begins with the Interval Mode set for Individual Pictures (Probably 100-150 photos with an interval of 10 seconds)..But, will the camera automatically set the exposure, ISO, Shutter Speed etc to capture the photos? Or do I need to make any settings in other menus? Thanks for your assistance and patience!

-- hide signature --

Steve Ziegler, RN
Lieutenant Colonel (RET) US Army

breth Regular Member • Posts: 448
Re: WG-70 Star Settings?

I don't have the wg-70, but have used an older "rugged" Ricoh model. You'll have to read the manual carefully, I'm not sure you can capture star trails with the wg-70. For that you need either a long exposure (of a few minutes at least), or else an "interval composite" mode, which means that the pics taken in interval mode are merged together. The "interval mode" you have on the wg-70 might just take pics at set intervals, but not combine them. Which means that you'll just get a lot of stills, without the trails.

I am supposing that the camera will auto-focus in this mode - and it might struggle to do so at night.

Hope that someone who has this camera will help better.

OP LTCSZ New Member • Posts: 16

I use a program called StarStax to combine hundred of exposures into star trails...It's free and works well...So, a series of pictures would be fine...I still can't figure out if putting the camera into it's time interval mode sets the exposure parameters...Would switching into manual exposure solve the auto-focus problem? Thanks for the response!

-- hide signature --

Steve Ziegler, RN
Lieutenant Colonel (RET) US Army

breth Regular Member • Posts: 448

LTCSZ wrote:

Would switching into manual exposure solve the auto-focus problem? Thanks for the response!

Do you have manual exposure at all, or just modes?

About auto-focus - you'll just have to try and see if the camera is able in those conditions.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads