Is this the manufacturing date on A9?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
DustyBin
DustyBin Contributing Member • Posts: 685
Is this the manufacturing date on A9?

Just wondering if anyone knew what the other numbers mean on the serial sticker... just picked up a used A9 in very good condition and wondered how old it might actually be. Seller bought it from someone else, so they weren't sure.

I've also noticed that the number at the bottom is different to many serial stickers I've found online... it shows 282, rather than 281?  Given my serial number (covered) starts with a 4, perhaps there was a slightly different release after a couple of years production?  Perhaps it's a regional code?

DustyBin's gear list:DustyBin's gear list
Sony a9 Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +11 more
Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ZilverHaylide Senior Member • Posts: 1,156
Re: Is this the manufacturing date on A9?

DustyBin wrote:

Just wondering if anyone knew what the other numbers mean on the serial sticker... just picked up a used A9 in very good condition and wondered how old it might actually be. Seller bought it from someone else, so they weren't sure.

I've also noticed that the number at the bottom is different to many serial stickers I've found online... it shows 282, rather than 281? Given my serial number (covered) starts with a 4, perhaps there was a slightly different release after a couple of years production? Perhaps it's a regional code?

That's a good question that I've never thought about (and while I have a Sony FF, it's not the A9). Most modern electronic devices have to go thru a certification process (i.e. that the amount of electronic noise they radiate is below certain levels, so it won't interfere with other devices). Additionally, there is usually a separate certification required for any device that deliberately radiates as part of its operation (i.e. Wi-Fi). I think that WW... number is the type of number used on those kind of certification applications in Asia, so it's possible that date is just connected to when it was certified, not a manufacture date -- but that is pure guesswork from me. Only way to know for sure is if enough people answer this post of yours, and the dates differ while the rest of the info stays the same.

DustyBin
OP DustyBin Contributing Member • Posts: 685

ZilverHaylide wrote:

DustyBin wrote:

I've also noticed that the number at the bottom is different to many serial stickers I've found online... it shows 282, rather than 281? Given my serial number (covered) starts with a 4, perhaps there was a slightly different release after a couple of years production? Perhaps it's a regional code?

That's a good question that I've never thought about (and while I have a Sony FF, it's not the A9). Most modern electronic devices have to go thru a certification process (i.e. that the amount of electronic noise they radiate is below certain levels, so it won't interfere with other devices). Additionally, there is usually a separate certification required for any device that deliberately radiates as part of its operation (i.e. Wi-Fi). I think that WW... number is the type of number used on those kind of certification applications in Asia, so it's possible that date is just connected to when it was certified, not a manufacture date -- but that is pure guesswork from me. Only way to know for sure is if enough people answer this post of yours, and the dates differ while the rest of the info stays the same.

Interesting.  If it is a certification date, then one would expect the camera to be manufactured after that date.  I believe I managed to translate the characters before the date and I believe they just say “Sony Corporation”

Sony a9 Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +11 more
olstrup Veteran Member • Posts: 4,032

The label on mine (bought new in EU in 2020 from a reputable dealer) doesn't have the line with the Japanese text and the month-year. In the buttom line it says -281-. Apart from the the label is the same as the OP's.

"Sharpness is a bourgeois concept." (Henri Cartier-Bresson)

DustyBin

olstrup wrote:

The label on mine (bought new in EU in 2020 from a reputable dealer) doesn't have the line with the Japanese text and the month-year. In the buttom line it says -281-. Apart from the the label is the same as the OP's.

"Sharpness is a bourgeois concept." (Henri Cartier-Bresson)

The seller seemed legit and the camera is working fine so far with minimal mechanical shutter count and virtually no signs of wear, so I’m happy with the purchase at the price I paid, but suspect it’s not an EU model as such.  The box appears to be from Middle East from a dealer number on the bottom.

pollup Contributing Member • Posts: 947

The text is not Japanese but Korean and it says "제조년 월" which means manufacturing year month.

So yes this is the manufacturing date.

pollup's gear list:pollup's gear list
Sony a9 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 35mm F1.8 Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS Canon EOS 550D +6 more
DustyBin

pollup wrote:

The text is not Japanese but Korean and it says "제조년 월" which means manufacturing year month.

So yes this is the manufacturing date.

Thank you!!!  So, younger than I first thought and, potentially, for the Korean market.  Although I can't imagine quite what differences there might be with European/UK versions... it does everything I could want it to!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads