DXO PureRAW - New Release...

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
PMUK
PMUK Senior Member • Posts: 2,145
DXO PureRAW - New Release...
6

Details can be found on the DXO web site by clicking Here

A YouTube review/ demonstration by Robin Whalley is available Here

Phil

 PMUK's gear list:PMUK's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R5 +9 more
sprocket-docket Contributing Member • Posts: 530
Re: DXO PureRAW - New Release...
1

This is definitely of interest to me, I trialed PhotoLab 4 and liked what DeepPRIME offered for older micro four thirds RAW files, but the cost was too much for my taste, considering I don't love PhotoLab compared to Lightroom for the editing experience. This could be what I get and implement into my workflow.

 sprocket-docket's gear list:sprocket-docket's gear list
Ricoh GR IIIx Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +4 more
ATP62 Contributing Member • Posts: 698
Re: DXO PureRAW - New Release...
1

I agree , I much prefer to work with LR/ACR ( maybe because I have been using LR for many years ).

I think this can be a bestseller from DxO ....

charlyw64 Regular Member • Posts: 450
Re: DXO PureRAW - New Release...

Looking at the results in the video, they are already overprocessed to such a degree that I wouldn‘t ever use them...

sprocket-docket Contributing Member • Posts: 530
Re: DXO PureRAW - New Release...

To what video are you referring?

 sprocket-docket's gear list:sprocket-docket's gear list
Ricoh GR IIIx Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +4 more
charlyw64 Regular Member • Posts: 450
Re: DXO PureRAW - New Release...

sprocket-docket wrote:

To what video are you referring?

The linked demo one... Those excessive corrections applied by DxO in conjunction with the too strong noise reduction and overzealous sharpening resulted in rather unsightly areas for example on the books towards the edges... It would be insane to try and use those intermediate results for further processing as too much sharpening has already been applied which will prevent any other meaningful processing.

sprocket-docket Contributing Member • Posts: 530
Re: DXO PureRAW - New Release...
6

I'm definitely going to use the free trial and not try to judge samples seen in a YouTube video. Wouldn't those all be subject to the way the video is edited? Probably not even going to watch the video, to be honest. Free trial, why ever not?

 sprocket-docket's gear list:sprocket-docket's gear list
Ricoh GR IIIx Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +4 more
JLGF1
JLGF1 Contributing Member • Posts: 950
Re: DXO PureRAW - New Release...

There is no way to reduce the sharpening like there is in PhotoLab?

 JLGF1's gear list:JLGF1's gear list
Canon G9 X Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS
CH179 Regular Member • Posts: 122
okay.. a surprise
3

I tried my luck by dragging in my RAF (Fuji x-trans) raw into it and Wow!

It actually processed the RAW!

But as expected, no lens correction yet and PRIME works but not Deep Prime. The output of both is the same for fuji RAW. Which i inclined to believe deep prime is just a placeholder for the time being for fuji xtrans raw. A little disappointed as i waited for almost 6 months and counting to see "deep primed" Fuji xtrans RAW

Test with my other raw from oly, canon.. all working expected. Prime and deep prime has very visible different.

so yeah, i think it is a good start for fuji user like me. Maybe hinting that the next PL major version would start to support xtrans finally.

 CH179's gear list:CH179's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus E-M5 II Fujifilm X-T2 Sony a7C Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +7 more
davidedric Veteran Member • Posts: 6,956
Re: Linear dng
1

When I started reading, I was wondering by what magic the original raw file was modified.

The answer, of course, is a linear dng, as is the output to e.g. Lightroom from PhotoLab

I already have PhotoLab (and I don't shoot Fuji), so I dont think this offers me anything.  Is that right?

 davidedric's gear list:davidedric's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +3 more
PMUK
OP PMUK Senior Member • Posts: 2,145
Re: Linear dng

davidedric wrote:

When I started reading, I was wondering by what magic the original raw file was modified.

The answer, of course, is a linear dng, as is the output to e.g. Lightroom from PhotoLab

I already have PhotoLab (and I don't shoot Fuji), so I dont think this offers me anything. Is that right?

Hi David,

My understanding is PureRAW is intended for people (like me) who don't already have PhotoLab, but who would like to be able to take advantage of some of it's offerings.

I stand to be corrected, but I believe PureRAW would be of no additional benefit to you.

I'm currently working my way through 21 raw images of various subjects from different cameras, comparing PhotoLab 4 - which I was already assessing - and PureRAW against my existing edits of the same images...

Phil

 PMUK's gear list:PMUK's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R5 +9 more
dwjnic Regular Member • Posts: 106
Re: Linear dng
2

In terms of a linear DNG, I understand that it is not a true raw file but will it provide the same latitude as a raw file in terms of increasing exposure, recovering highlights etc. I know the file size is roughly 3 to 4 times the size of original raw file.

I like the corrections and noise reduction of Photolab but do not like a number of other things including the way it treats highlights and shadows.

John_Hoffman
John_Hoffman Senior Member • Posts: 2,119
Re: Linear dng
2

PMUK wrote:

davidedric wrote:

When I started reading, I was wondering by what magic the original raw file was modified.

The answer, of course, is a linear dng, as is the output to e.g. Lightroom from PhotoLab

I already have PhotoLab (and I don't shoot Fuji), so I dont think this offers me anything. Is that right?

Hi David,

My understanding is PureRAW is intended for people (like me) who don't already have PhotoLab, but who would like to be able to take advantage of some of it's offerings.

I stand to be corrected, but I believe PureRAW would be of no additional benefit to you.

I'm currently working my way through 21 raw images of various subjects from different cameras, comparing PhotoLab 4 - which I was already assessing - and PureRAW against my existing edits of the same images...

Phil

That is correct. It is basically a stripped down version of PL4. DxO stated this in a comment to their video on their YouTube channel.

-- hide signature --

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

 John_Hoffman's gear list:John_Hoffman's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM +9 more
dwjnic Regular Member • Posts: 106
Re: okay.. a surprise
4

CH179 wrote:

I tried my luck by dragging in my RAF (Fuji x-trans) raw into it and Wow!

It actually processed the RAW!

But as expected, no lens correction yet and PRIME works but not Deep Prime. The output of both is the same for fuji RAW. Which i inclined to believe deep prime is just a placeholder for the time being for fuji xtrans raw. A little disappointed as i waited for almost 6 months and counting to see "deep primed" Fuji xtrans RAW

Test with my other raw from oly, canon.. all working expected. Prime and deep prime has very visible different.

so yeah, i think it is a good start for fuji user like me. Maybe hinting that the next PL major version would start to support xtrans finally.

I tried on XT4 and XT3 files with no luck.  Then download a XT2 raw file and can confirm that it does process the image, including Deep Prime.

I have not looked too deeply into how well it converts but did process both files in Camera Raw without any adjustments - apart from the DXO process image being a bit darker there does not appear to be a massive real difference.

Bearing in mind that in the past DXO has stated that cannot process Fuji files, I find this a bit odd.

davidedric Veteran Member • Posts: 6,956
Re: Linear dng
1

Thanks.  I also just use PL for lens corrections and noise reduction - basically as a front end to Lightroom.

I have read that only the tones visible in the histogram make it into the dng (or TIFF).  In other words, clipped highlights or shadows will be missing, but I haven't really checked this out.  Note to self - must give it a try

Dave

dwjnic wrote:

In terms of a linear DNG, I understand that it is not a true raw file but will it provide the same latitude as a raw file in terms of increasing exposure, recovering highlights etc. I know the file size is roughly 3 to 4 times the size of original raw file.

I like the corrections and noise reduction of Photolab but do not like a number of other things including the way it treats highlights and shadows.

 davidedric's gear list:davidedric's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +3 more
Keit ll Veteran Member • Posts: 5,037
Re: DXO PureRAW - New Release...
1

PMUK wrote:

Details can be found on the DXO web site by clicking Here

A YouTube review/ demonstration by Robin Whalley is available Here

Phil

Their website seems to assume that I am French despite the fact that English is selected!

Ho72
Ho72 Senior Member • Posts: 2,378
Re: Linear dng
6

dwjnic wrote:

I like the corrections and noise reduction of Photolab but do not like a number of other things including the way it treats highlights and shadows.

This times 100. I wish DxO had introduced this product a few months ago because I wouldn't have bothered with PL4.

PMUK
OP PMUK Senior Member • Posts: 2,145
Re: DXO PureRAW - New Release...
1

PMUK wrote:

Details can be found on the DXO web site by clicking Here

A YouTube review/ demonstration by Robin Whalley is available Here

Phil

Update - the killer blow to my indecision arrived in the form of a discount code from DXO for PL4 in the form of 30% off using the code PURERAW.

Sold.

(It had been extremely close, with PureRAW putting in an excellent performance. Using either as the precursor to Lightroom and with Topaz DeNoise AI/ Sharpen AI adding the final polish, the images are a delight - bear in mind I've been using a range of cameras).

Phil

 PMUK's gear list:PMUK's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R5 +9 more
John_Hoffman
John_Hoffman Senior Member • Posts: 2,119
Re: DXO PureRAW - New Release...
2

PMUK wrote:

PMUK wrote:

Details can be found on the DXO web site by clicking Here

A YouTube review/ demonstration by Robin Whalley is available Here

Phil

Update - the killer blow to my indecision arrived in the form of a discount code from DXO for PL4 in the form of 30% off using the code PURERAW.

Sold.

(It had been extremely close, with PureRAW putting in an excellent performance. Using either as the precursor to Lightroom and with Topaz DeNoise AI/ Sharpen AI adding the final polish, the images are a delight - bear in mind I've been using a range of cameras).

Phil

You can create a preset in PL4 that just does the lens corrections and noise reduction (what PureRAW does) but have the advantage of using the Lightroom/DxO plugin for transferring images, avoiding the two step process

-- hide signature --

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

 John_Hoffman's gear list:John_Hoffman's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM +9 more
PMUK
OP PMUK Senior Member • Posts: 2,145
Re: DXO PureRAW - New Release...

John_Hoffman wrote:

PMUK wrote:

PMUK wrote:

Details can be found on the DXO web site by clicking Here

A YouTube review/ demonstration by Robin Whalley is available Here

Phil

Update - the killer blow to my indecision arrived in the form of a discount code from DXO for PL4 in the form of 30% off using the code PURERAW.

Sold.

(It had been extremely close, with PureRAW putting in an excellent performance. Using either as the precursor to Lightroom and with Topaz DeNoise AI/ Sharpen AI adding the final polish, the images are a delight - bear in mind I've been using a range of cameras).

Phil

You can create a preset in PL4 that just does the lens corrections and noise reduction (what PureRAW does) but have the advantage of using the Lightroom/DxO plugin for transferring images, avoiding the two step process

Hi John,

Thank you - all advice very welcome! - in fact I've done just that (with guidance from Nigel during the formative stages of my early testing), I have to say it's fitted in seamlessly to my existing workflow - including being able to apply my custom camera profiles. I suspect I've only just begun to scratch the surface of what it can deliver. So far, I'm very impressed...

(PureRAW was doing a great job, but I'm just a sucker for twiddling adjustable things! ).

Phil

 PMUK's gear list:PMUK's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R5 +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads