blurry photo or not with the focus

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Alexpassion Regular Member • Posts: 188
blurry photo or not with the focus

Hello, is this photo blurry or sharp? I try to have the blur and the sharpness in front of the subject what I take but is that the whole is blurry?

I have a nikon d7500 1.4 50 mm nikkor lens I took for this photo at 1.4 is it blurry?

thank you

Nikon D7500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
geru Senior Member • Posts: 1,214
Re: blurry photo or not with the focus

Alexpassion wrote:

Hello, is this photo blurry or sharp? I try to have the blur and the sharpness in front of the subject what I take but is that the whole is blurry?

I have a nikon d7500 1.4 50 mm nikkor lens I took for this photo at 1.4 is it blurry?

thank you

The subjects face is reasonably sharp.  Rather than trying to explain DOF here is an article Beginners Guide to the Understanding Depth Of Field  that will explain it much better and make it less confusing for you to understand than I could do.

geru's gear list:geru's gear list
Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +5 more
Mika Y.
Mika Y. Senior Member • Posts: 1,684

To me it looks like a significant portion of the face can be considered to be moderately sharp. There's some glare/haze reducing the contrast and making the photo appear to be somewhat less sharp, but especially with a bit of post-processing I'd say it would look OK.

To me the completely burnt out highlights on the face are actually a bigger image quality detriment than the slightly hazy look.

Mika Y.'s gear list:Mika Y.'s gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS Rebel T4i Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM +14 more
Mark Scott Abeln
Mark Scott Abeln Forum Pro • Posts: 16,948
It's blurry.

Alexpassion wrote:

Yes, it is mainly blurry: "out of focus blur", also known as "defocus blur". There is a plane of focus located some distance from the camera: objects before and after this plane are going to be progressively more blurry the farther they are from this plane.

The focus point appears to be on the subject's face, and so there is some sharper detail there. But even the in-focus detail isn't particularly sharp because that lens has a lot of optical aberrations when opened up all of the way. Adding some sharpening should help the in-focus parts look more noticeably crisper, but that won't help the defocused areas.

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D +4 more
OP Alexpassion Regular Member • Posts: 188

Okay the image quality comes from the settings of the camera ?

Mika Y.
Mika Y. Senior Member • Posts: 1,684

Alexpassion wrote:

Regarding the contrast-reducing haze/glare, I have no experience about that particular lens but it's a fairly common trait on fast lenses when used wide open or nearly wide open; my old Canon 50mm f/1.4 behaved in a similar way for example. It can be countered to some extent on post-processing and it probably disappears fairly quickly when stopping the aperture down a bit too.

The burnt-out highlights are indeed a result of the settings combined with a fairly high-contrast scene; I'd try setting a bit of negative exposure compensation in a situation like this and brightening the shadows in post-processing if needed.

Mika Y.'s gear list:Mika Y.'s gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS Rebel T4i Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM +14 more
Mark Scott Abeln
Mark Scott Abeln Forum Pro • Posts: 16,948

Alexpassion wrote:

The image quality comes from the subject, lighting, composition, technique, camera and lens, and camera settings, as well as the viewing audience’s expectations.

Much of the subject appears blurry in your photo because you used f/1.4.

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D +4 more
OP Alexpassion Regular Member • Posts: 188

ok, even when I mount a can I not the image I like can be a problem with the settings?

hobbit mob
hobbit mob Regular Member • Posts: 168

Alexpassion wrote:

ok, even when I mount a can I not the image I like can be a problem with the settings?

In this case it looks like the 'blur' on the face is from the softness of the lens.  Most lenses are softer wide open, and it's been my experience that the 50 1.4's and 1.8's are prone to this more than some of the other lenses I've used.  If you were to stop down to f/2, you would increase the sharpness a ton (likely) and with the background so far away, you wouldn't lose out on much, if any, background blur.

Another option to get what you seem to be looking for would be to get a slightly longer lens, many people like 85mm for portraits because it provides good compression and a nice background blur.  I had an 85 1.8 that i used for portraits that worked well.  It was sharper at 1.8 than my 50mm was at f1.8, and improved when stopped down to f2/f2.5, and still gave nice background blur (bokeh)

-- hide signature --

Accelerating Entropy

hobbit mob's gear list:hobbit mob's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +12 more
CptAmerica
CptAmerica Senior Member • Posts: 1,550

Alexpassion wrote:

thank you

Don't confuse "blurry" with "out of focus" with "sharpness". They aren't synonymous. In your example here, the subject is IN focus, and it's plenty sharp where the focus landed, which is on his glasses frames. Because you shot at F1.4... other things you may normally look at, like his eyes BEHIND his frames, will be slightly out of focus because your depth of field is very narrow at F1.4. But look closely at his frames... relatively sharp (not razor sharp, but sharp) and in-focus.

Missing focus didn't happen here
Motion blur didn't happen here
Camera shake didn't happen here

CptAmerica's gear list:CptAmerica's gear list
Nikon D850 Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads