Mavic 2 Pro vs Mavic 2S

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Djehuty Regular Member • Posts: 197
Mavic 2 Pro vs Mavic 2S

Would the 20mp in the Mavic 2 Pro mean a better low light drone vs the 48mp Mavic 2s?

Craig NC
Craig NC Contributing Member • Posts: 679
Re: Mavic 2 Pro vs Mavic 2S

You are mixing drones up here.  The yet to be releases 2S will have a 1" 20mpx  chip similar to the PRO 2 - but with no variable aperture.  The current Mavic Air 2 (no "S") has a 1/2" inch sensor that does have a 48mpx mode.  I own the Mavic Air 2.  While it's camera is quite good (much better than original Mavic Air), the 48mpx mode is just a gimmick.  I really found no meaningful additional details in the 48mpx mode than the standard 12mpx.  Partly, I  think you are getting into diffraction issues with pixels that small.    I expect the 20mpx on the new 2S will be a nice improvement - certainly for low light but even daylight situations too.

-- hide signature --

Craig Zerbe
ScenicTraveling.com

Craig NC's gear list:Craig NC's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 +2 more
OP Djehuty Regular Member • Posts: 197

Craig NC wrote:

You are mixing drones up here. The yet to be releases 2S will have a 1" 20mpx chip similar to the PRO 2 - but with no variable aperture. The current Mavic Air 2 (no "S") has a 1/2" inch sensor that does have a 48mpx mode. I own the Mavic Air 2. While it's camera is quite good (much better than original Mavic Air), the 48mpx mode is just a gimmick. I really found no meaningful additional details in the 48mpx mode than the standard 12mpx. Partly, I think you are getting into diffraction issues with pixels that small. I expect the 20mpx on the new 2S will be a nice improvement - certainly for low light but even daylight situations too.

If its the same sensor then it would be easier, gotta wait for real world tests anyway.

RemoteHorizons
RemoteHorizons New Member • Posts: 1

Craig NC wrote:

You are mixing drones up here. The yet to be releases 2S will have a 1" 20mpx chip similar to the PRO 2 - but with no variable aperture. The current Mavic Air 2 (no "S") has a 1/2" inch sensor that does have a 48mpx mode. I own the Mavic Air 2. While it's camera is quite good (much better than original Mavic Air), the 48mpx mode is just a gimmick. I really found no meaningful additional details in the 48mpx mode than the standard 12mpx. Partly, I think you are getting into diffraction issues with pixels that small. I expect the 20mpx on the new 2S will be a nice improvement - certainly for low light but even daylight situations too.

I agree with your assessment of the 48MP mode - a total gimmick which produces horrible image quality. I am taking the 12MP files and using Photoshop’s new ‘super resolution’ enhanced image tool. That produces really good quality 48MP files which are night and day different to the in-camera 48MP mode.

OP Djehuty Regular Member • Posts: 197

RemoteHorizons wrote:

Craig NC wrote:

I agree with your assessment of the 48MP mode - a total gimmick which produces horrible image quality. I am taking the 12MP files and using Photoshop’s new ‘super resolution’ enhanced image tool. That produces really good quality 48MP files which are night and day different to the in-camera 48MP mode.

Real high MP > super scaling unless its just instagram, then who cares.

DVPuk New Member • Posts: 1
How good is the Mavic 2 Pro?

Pound for pound, I've always said that the MP2 is the best photography drone on the market. It will take some going, for this drone to outshine the MP2. Variable aperture is essential for any serious photographer/videographer. Personally, I'll wait until the MP3 (or equivalent).

Not sure if this will help, but my recent blog comments on the MP2 https://www.differentviewphotography.co.uk/post/aerialphotographywhichisthebestdrone

Craig NC
Craig NC Contributing Member • Posts: 679
Re: How good is the Mavic 2 Pro?

DVPuk wrote:

Pound for pound, I've always said that the MP2 is the best photography drone on the market. It will take some going, for this drone to outshine the MP2. Variable aperture is essential for any serious photographer/videographer. Personally, I'll wait until the MP3 (or equivalent).

Not sure if this will help, but my recent blog comments on the MP2 https://www.differentviewphotography.co.uk/post/aerialphotographywhichisthebestdrone

I disagree for photography.  f2.8 is in focus and the sharpest f-stop for this lens.  I really think variable aperture buys you almost nothing on this drone for still images.    Hard pressed to think of why I would want to stop down down for a still photo - maybe extra bright and electronic shutter is not fast enough.  Otherwise, stopped down is not a sharp as f2.8   -  For video yes, great to have.

-- hide signature --

Craig Zerbe
ScenicTraveling.com

Craig NC's gear list:Craig NC's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads