Filters for K-1 & D-FA 24-70: ring-type ND, or filter-system?

Started 2 months ago | Questions
Sjak
Sjak Senior Member • Posts: 5,964
Filters for K-1 & D-FA 24-70: ring-type ND, or filter-system?

As all this lockdown-stuff is still ongoing, I'm doing more and more landscape and urban sceneries. ND-filters (and possibly other filters) will add some punch to the final images.

However, I'm struggling a bit with purchasing decision, as the 82mm thread size will mean even a middle-of-the-road filter will cost about 100-150 euro, and maybe I'd want more than only a 10-stop ND further down the road.

I'm currently debating on getting a filter-system instead. In particular, the magnetic systems from Kase and Freewell seem convenient, as the lens hood could still be mounted. With stop-down-ring, I can also use the set on my other lenses.

What have you settled on, and why?

Sjak's gear list:Sjak's gear list
Pentax K100D Pentax K10D Leica M-Monochrom Fujifilm X-T1 Pentax K-1
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Pentax K-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Mike Arledge Senior Member • Posts: 2,091
Re: Filters for K-1 & D-FA 24-70: ring-type ND, or filter-system?

I purchased the NiSi V5-Pro myself, it has an 82mm CPL included but can also hold 100mm square filters stacked.  It also comes with step down rings for smaller threaded lens.  I like it as it is sturdy and convertible.  The CPL in particular has done quite well in all my tests.

I think there is a V6-Pro out now, but might be able to find the V5 at a bargain like I did through old stock at B+H.

Mike Arledge's gear list:Mike Arledge's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax KP Canon EOS R6 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +4 more
miles green
miles green Veteran Member • Posts: 7,774

i just have a CPL and a 10-stop ND filter.

Haven't found the need for much more.

You can always bracket, HDR, pull the shadows and photoshop afterwards, not like in the film days...

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian since 1997!
Corfu, Greece
N.B. All my images are protected by Copyright

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +7 more
Sjak
OP Sjak Senior Member • Posts: 5,964

Mike Arledge wrote:

I purchased the NiSi V5-Pro myself, it has an 82mm CPL included but can also hold 100mm square filters stacked. It also comes with step down rings for smaller threaded lens. I like it as it is sturdy and convertible. The CPL in particular has done quite well in all my tests.

I think there is a V6-Pro out now, but might be able to find the V5 at a bargain like I did through old stock at B+H.

Thanks Mike, great tip! A local retailer indeed has the V5 NiSi on stock, will have a better look into it.

Sjak

miles green wrote:

i just have a CPL and a 10-stop ND filter.

Haven't found the need for much more.

You can always bracket, HDR, pull the shadows and photoshop afterwards, not like in the film days...

Thanks Miles! Also a very valid consideration.

DavidB77
DavidB77 Forum Member • Posts: 82

For having used ring-type ND in the past, I will never use them anymore. With a 10-stop ND or even 6-stop, the camera cannot focus anymore and it’s a pain to remove the filter , focus, and screw it again each time you want to change focus point. Screw filters also tend to get stuck to the lens or to another filter. I broke my old Sigma 17-70mm trying to unscrew a stuck polarizer.

Now, I am using Kase K8 system with 11-18mm (which is 82mm filter size too) and it works great for the price. (Kase now have K9 which is better than K8). I purchased it to have a 82mm polarizing filter for my 11-18. The pola is OK but it seems to produce more glare than my old B+W 77mm filter.
The filter holder is not bad, but I have made by hand Lee filters that are difficult to fit in the holder because they are not always exactly 100mm, they can be 101mm and the Kase holder is too tight.

I would prefer the new Lee holder + pola, but its A LOT more expensive...

DavidB77's gear list:DavidB77's gear list
Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax K-3 II Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8 +2 more
Sjak

Thank you David for your very elaborate answer! You raise many very good points.

In particular the (in)ability to focus, and the potential to damage a lens, are things I hand't consindered at all.

How do you cope with flare, as the hood can't be mounted with this system? Simply a matter of carefully positioning the camera?

Mike Arledge Senior Member • Posts: 2,091

DavidB77 wrote:

For having used ring-type ND in the past, I will never use them anymore. With a 10-stop ND or even 6-stop, the camera cannot focus anymore and it’s a pain to remove the filter , focus, and screw it again each time you want to change focus point. Screw filters also tend to get stuck to the lens or to another filter. I broke my old Sigma 17-70mm trying to unscrew a stuck polarizer.

Now, I am using Kase K8 system with 11-18mm (which is 82mm filter size too) and it works great for the price. (Kase now have K9 which is better than K8). I purchased it to have a 82mm polarizing filter for my 11-18. The pola is OK but it seems to produce more glare than my old B+W 77mm filter.
The filter holder is not bad, but I have made by hand Lee filters that are difficult to fit in the holder because they are not always exactly 100mm, they can be 101mm and the Kase holder is too tight.

I would prefer the new Lee holder + pola, but its A LOT more expensive...

This NiSi gets around this problem by allowing the mount to rotate, not the polarizer as an FYI - its quite clever. You just press a dial and rotate the filter in mount, not touching the filter thread.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=DgLpRPezFvY&feature=share

Mike Arledge's gear list:Mike Arledge's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax KP Canon EOS R6 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +4 more
DavidB77

Sjak wrote:

How do you cope with flare, as the hood can't be mounted with this system? Simply a matter of carefully positioning the camera?

I always use filters with camera mounted on tripod, so when flare is a problem, I just use my hand as a hood.

Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax K-3 II Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8 +2 more
DavidB77

I didn't know the nisi filter holder but I just watched quickly the video link of Mike and remember something anoying with kase K8 holder. There is nothing included to protect the circular polarizer, you have to find a case for it. I ended up purchasing the soft filter bag which is a additional 48€.

https://www.kasefilters.fr/produits/Kase-sacoche-de-transport-100mm-Soft-bag-0011150100038.htm

Sjak

Thanks everybody for contributing to this thread. Your input was very valuable in directing my research. I've spent a few evenings reading reviews, looking at youtube videos, images with different types of ND/GND/...-filters.

Also took my Fuji + 18mm + ND1000 out for a walk. Screwing a circular filter on and off quickly gets annoying But from the YT-vids, I also noticed the square fitler kits might be larger than I'd typically like to take with me on a walk, and filter-prices can get quite high.

For now, I settled on the K&F magnetic set, which consists of a magnetic ring, and a set of UV, CPL and ND1000. The filters can be snapped on/off very quickly (convenient for composition and/or focusing) and the total package is very compact. According to reviews, the CPL is decent, and the ND1000 good, and both have good coatings which make them very easy to clean.

This is a pretty new system, and there are no other filtrers available yet. In addition, GND-filters are not an option. But overall, it seems a great but still small package to have in the everyday-bag. If I get into using ND's more, then obviously a 100mm square system is the next step.

PRISCILLA TURNER
PRISCILLA TURNER Senior Member • Posts: 1,708

"I broke my old Sigma 17-70mm trying to unscrew a stuck polarizer." That's sad. A broad elastic band  wrapped all round the rim is the very venerable remedy for a stuck filter.

-- hide signature --

'To see, not with, but through the eye.' [William Blake]
'The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.' [Edmund Burke]
'Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely.' [Lord Acton]
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22905474@N06/
http://priscillaturner.imagekind.com/store/

PRISCILLA TURNER's gear list:PRISCILLA TURNER's gear list
Sigma DP1 Pentax K-3 II Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads