Started 8 months ago | Discussions
BirdShooter7 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,163
Re: Nokishita: Canon R3

Greenville wrote:

BirdShooter7 wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

Greenville wrote:

BirdShooter7 wrote:

Really interesting Canon is reviving the 3 Series. I had an EOS 3 and loved the camera. I was sad to sell it, but I stopped shooting film after the 2002 SLC Olympics. The camera was just gathering dust for 2.5 years and I wanted more lenses. Very happy with to see Canon bringing back eye control focus. Really liked that in my EOS 3.

My guess on naming is Canon is not ready to release an R1. A higher spec mirrorless camera is needed in the sports world. I also expect we will see a sub $2K R7 in the next 6 to 12 months.

Sadly I don't think we'll see an R7 until later in 2022.

Yes I’m afraid you’re right. What I’m even more worried about is that by then it might well be too late and we might end up not seeing one at all.

That is why I said 6-12 months. Maybe this year, but probably not, but would be surprised if we don't seen an announcement in 12 months.

I am surprised by the R3. I figured Canon's top priority was an R1, but they may not be ready for an R1. While excited about an R3 as a release, I won't be buying another camera for awhile. Will be interesting to see the details on on the R3. I had always hoped Canon would release a digital version of the EOS 3.

Yep, I’m right there with you

-- hide signature --

Some of my bird photos can be viewed here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gregsbirds/

Marximus
Marximus Regular Member • Posts: 321
Re: Guessing the Canon R3 price is a complete coin flip now

The press release states this:

"This camera will usher in a new category to the EOS R system, positioned squarely between the EOS R5 and EOS-1D X Mark III cameras."

It makes sense that the price would be between those two, as well.

Marximus's gear list:Marximus's gear list
Canon EOS R6 Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon Extender EF 2x III +9 more
Steve Balcombe Forum Pro • Posts: 14,661

Marximus wrote:

"This camera will usher in a new category to the EOS R system, positioned squarely between the EOS R5 and EOS-1D X Mark III cameras."

I agree that would make sense, but I'm sure the R3 will be towards the upper end of that range. UK prices for the R5 and 1D X III are £4200 (£4700 with grip!) and £7000* respectively, so £6500 seems likely - no reason to be any cheaper than the Sony A1.

Funny that we can say these things with confidence when we know hardly anything about the spec. We're just assuming it will be to die for.

(* - easily available for £6500, but £7k is list price.)

Fab-BZH Forum Member • Posts: 51

Tazz93 wrote:

Marximus wrote:

It's supposed to be slotted between the R5 and 1DX III, so it should be a lot less than $7000. $5000 seems about right.

That's a big hope, I think the article DP Review made on it is right, the R3 slots in between the R5 and R1, but that doesn't mean the R3 will be in-between those $3,900 and $6,600. It may be in-between $3,900 and $8,100. And that's a big gap.

Right !

We can suppose the R1 will be near $8000, and R3 between R5 and ... R1, not 1DX3 !

So I also think R3 could be $5500 or $6000 (I suppose nearer to 6000 than 5500 !)

If the R3 beats the A1 (maybe excepted 8K capabilities), Canon will have no qualms about pricing it at $6000 or more !!

Fab-BZH's gear list:Fab-BZH's gear list
Canon EOS R5
Tazz93
Tazz93 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,001

Marximus wrote:

LOL, I hope that's right, but it does seem as though Canon plans to push the 1DxIII replacement in to the stratosphere price wise. And the abilities of the R3, from the beta shooter that I've heard of, is stronger than the A1.

So I'm guessing a lower price is unlikely. But that is obviously based on two things. First, an R1 is actually on route and is priced is north of normal. Secondly, its based on the R3 holding a level of tech that is significantly stronger than the A1. Neither is a guarantee, but knowing who said the R3 is a better camera, I'm inclined to believe that shooter.  But again, better is subjective and not something everyone can hang their hat on.

No use arguing what could be, because neither of us have a working crystal ball. You're in one camp on price, I'm in the other. Let's see what's right when its revealed. Considering the Canon affiliated testers have had the cameras for a little bit, I'd bet we'll know very soon. That said... I hope you're right, for my bank account's sake.

-- hide signature --

Mike Jackson - Wildlife Photography Enthusiast
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mj_flickr/

Tazz93's gear list:Tazz93's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +14 more
RDM5546
RDM5546 Senior Member • Posts: 2,761

Fab-BZH wrote:

Tazz93 wrote:

Marximus wrote:

It's supposed to be slotted between the R5 and 1DX III, so it should be a lot less than $7000. $5000 seems about right.

That's a big hope, I think the article DP Review made on it is right, the R3 slots in between the R5 and R1, but that doesn't mean the R3 will be in-between those $3,900 and $6,600. It may be in-between $3,900 and $8,100. And that's a big gap.

Right !

We can suppose the R1 will be near $8000, and R3 between R5 and ... R1, not 1DX3 !

So I also think R3 could be $5500 or $6000 (I suppose nearer to 6000 than 5500 !)

If the R3 beats the A1 (maybe excepted 8K capabilities), Canon will have no qualms about pricing it at $6000 or more !!

The R3 is position against the A1 and sell for less than $6500 seems u nlikely to me.   I thought the R5 would be more than the 5DIV and closer to $5000.    I think at $3900 the R5 is a relative bargain with R6 being a bigger bargain.   So $6000 for the R3 seems likely though I could seem want to claim superiority to the A1 while matching the $6500 USA MSRP.

RDM5546's gear list:RDM5546's gear list
Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM Canon G5 X II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS 7D Mark II +43 more
Fab-BZH Forum Member • Posts: 51

RDM5546 wrote:

Fab-BZH wrote:

Tazz93 wrote:

Marximus wrote:

Right !

The R3 is position against the A1 and sell for less than $6500 seems u nlikely to me. I thought the R5 would be more than the 5DIV and closer to $5000. I think at $3900 the R5 is a relative bargain with R6 being a bigger bargain. So $6000 for the R3 seems likely though I could seem want to claim superiority to the A1 while matching the $6500 USA MSRP.

I agree and the remark made by Tony Northrup could be true : if the R3 is cheaper than the A1,  one could conclude that the A1 is better than the R3 !

BUT, if the R3 has no 8K and a pixel count lower than the A1, maybe the price could be lower too... I think we'll not wait too long to know, the R3 is almost ready.

Fab-BZH's gear list:Fab-BZH's gear list
Canon EOS R5
RDM5546
RDM5546 Senior Member • Posts: 2,761

Fab-BZH wrote:

RDM5546 wrote:

Fab-BZH wrote:

Tazz93 wrote:

Marximus wrote:

Right !

The R3 is position against the A1 and sell for less than $6500 seems u nlikely to me. I thought the R5 would be more than the 5DIV and closer to $5000. I think at $3900 the R5 is a relative bargain with R6 being a bigger bargain. So $6000 for the R3 seems likely though I could seem want to claim superiority to the A1 while matching the $6500 USA MSRP.

I agree and the remark made by Tony Northrup could be true : if the R3 is cheaper than the A1, one could conclude that the A1 is better than the R3 !

BUT, if the R3 has no 8K and a pixel count lower than the A1, maybe the price could be lower too... I think we'll not wait too long to know, the R3 is almost ready.

I will find the final outcomes interesting.   None can see the future with 100% accuracy but think out the possibilities is interesting to me.    Canon is still the photograph big dog in this hunt and the big dog usually is not cheapest dog.    The exact features of the camera's capability will matter some too.   The outcome that R1 will be more expensive than R3 is in very little doubt.

The R5 was bargain in my opinion because it gives me what I need in compact light package providing excellence in stills and video.    Every camera will always have limitations and most get pretty pretty long in the tooth after ten years of service.   The shutter wearout used to the Achilles heel of the DSLRs for extended use but the R5 has the amazing performance using the electronic shutter.

RDM5546's gear list:RDM5546's gear list
Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM Canon G5 X II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS 7D Mark II +43 more
NickZ2016 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,271

RDM5546 wrote:

Fab-BZH wrote:

The R3 is position against the A1

All we know is it's below the 1DX line. The rumours are the Z9 will be more or less the same price of the D6 which is more or less the same price of the 1DX line

You can believe Canon when they tell you the R3 is between the R5 and the 1DX or you can not believe them.

Likely the vast majority of the buyers in this market are trading in worn out cameras.  It takes a lot to convince people to swap systems and trading in a big bag of expensive lenses.

NickZ2016's gear list:NickZ2016's gear list
Nikon D800 Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +4 more
Tazz93
Tazz93 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,001

NickZ2016 wrote:

You can believe Canon when they tell you the R3 is between the R5 and the 1DX or you can not believe them.

I get what you mean, but honestly, I wouldn't take a 1Dx III over an R5 right now. There's no way the R3 will be less of a camera than the 1Dx III. Just isn't possible. That's not to say the 1Dx III can't do something better than the R5 or R3, just to say I prefer the overall package of the R5 more (and very likely the R3). Now, that said, Canon very well may throw a Hail Mary and repeat what the R5 did with the A9, undercut its opponent and outperform it.  We'll have to wait and see. If we get lucky and the R3 is ONLY $4800-5300 I'll be jumping for joy, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up.

Also we don't know if its going to be a 20 MP body or not (which would just deflate all of my interest in it).

Likely the vast majority of the buyers in this market are trading in worn out cameras. It takes a lot to convince people to swap systems and trading in a big bag of expensive lenses.

You'd be surprised on this one. I've seen no less the 10 people (possibly as many as 15) swap out expensive 1Dx II's and 600 L II's in the last 2 years for Sony A9's and 600 GMs (some with the 200-600). Obviously, this isn't everyone, but if you run in the right circles, you'll see it.

Mike Jackson - Wildlife Photography Enthusiast
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mj_flickr/

Tazz93's gear list:Tazz93's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +14 more
OP justmeMN Forum Pro • Posts: 10,289

NickZ2016 wrote:

Likely the vast majority of the buyers in this market are trading in worn out cameras. It takes a lot to convince people to swap systems and trading in a big bag of expensive lenses.

Perhaps 1 DX owners will buy an R3 as a second body, to dabble in mirrorless.

vee1rotate Junior Member • Posts: 26
Aaa: Nokishita: Canon R3
-- hide signature --

You can't brighten your day by blowing out someone else's candle.

vee1rotate's gear list:vee1rotate's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2
-- hide signature --

Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2
-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

MoonMadness
MoonMadness Junior Member • Posts: 31
Re: Aaa: Nokishita: Canon R3

vee1rotate wrote:

looks like someone blew out all 3 of your candles!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads