Nokishita: Canon R3

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
RLight Senior Member • Posts: 3,543
Re: Nokishita Always Right

Thoughts R Us wrote:

Nokishita is always right. They are the Oracle of the camera gods!😃

They have a source with their track record.

Depending on the specs, which should be forthcoming as NK's source appears to be a supply chain or Canon partner, perhaps I won't do a R5 after all...

If the sensor has a faster readout, sold. Probably will, there isn't much else they can "upgrade" from the R5 other than sticking a fan on it...

RLight's gear list:RLight's gear list
Canon G1 X III Canon EOS R Canon EOS M50 II Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro
RLight Senior Member • Posts: 3,543
Re: Nokishita: Canon R3

noggin2k1 wrote:

Steve Balcombe wrote:

justmeMN wrote:

From Twitter

That's very interesting. If the R3 name is correct, it's a strong implication that Canon doesn't think the current level of mirrorless technology is good enough to have the honour of carrying the 'R1' label.

I think it's more a response to Sony, rather than "not good enough to be an R1"

It'll be 24-ish MP in line with 1DXIII/A9II, and Canon have made the decision to keep the R1 name for an A1 competitor.

It's hard to say. This could be the mega-pixel monster rumored, which if true, it would be above the R5 if so.

What'd be interesting; if it maintains all the specs of the R5, but gains the MP counts. It's possible btw.

Canon already "deployed" the 1DXIII sensor which is the A9 competitor. I gather new sensor this round, the question is: is it super-megapixel, or global shutter implementation?

RLight's gear list:RLight's gear list
Canon G1 X III Canon EOS R Canon EOS M50 II Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro
f1point4andbethere
f1point4andbethere Contributing Member • Posts: 512

Best looking camera body I've ever seen. I love the rubber 'golf ball' texture. Never understood why faux leather grain has always been the go-to defacto rubber texture lol. Also love the integrated grip. As a Sony A1 owner, I really think Sony should have gone that route.

f1point4andbethere's gear list:f1point4andbethere's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony a1 Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Sigma 20mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sigma 135mm F1.8 Art +3 more
grenow
grenow Forum Member • Posts: 88

Development announcement here: https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-announces-that-the-powerful-professional-full-frame-eos-r3-mirrorless-camera-is-on-its-way/

Designed to sit "between" the  R5 and the 1DX3, 30 fps from a new DPAF sensor, no word on size. This sounds neat:

The Electronic Viewfinder of the EOS R3 will offer photographers the ability to select the initial area for AF tracking by simply looking directly at the viewfinder location where they want to begin AF.

grenow's gear list:grenow's gear list
Canon EOS R6 Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 600mm F11 IS STM Canon RF 70-200 F4 L +2 more
Kokopelli_Rocks
Kokopelli_Rocks Senior Member • Posts: 2,631

BirdShooter7 wrote:

The Bad Photographer wrote:

Chris_Chapterten wrote:

justmeMN wrote:

From Twitter

Surprising! I thought it would be R1

Yes, very. Hmmm will there be an even higher level R1 someday?

I’m thinking this is the R5s, high MP camera that has been rumored.

It looks like maybe the 1ds reborn.

Really interesting Canon is reviving the 3 Series.  I had an EOS 3 and loved the camera.  I was sad to sell it, but I stopped shooting film after the 2002 SLC Olympics.  The camera was just gathering dust for 2.5 years and I wanted more lenses.  Very happy with to see Canon bringing back eye control focus. Really liked that in my EOS 3.

My guess on naming is Canon is not ready to release an R1. A higher spec mirrorless camera is needed in the sports world. I also expect we will see a sub $2K R7 in the next 6 to 12 months.

Kokopelli_Rocks's gear list:Kokopelli_Rocks's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Sony RX100 III +21 more
Tazz93
Tazz93 Senior Member • Posts: 2,999

f1point4andbethere wrote:

Best looking camera body I've ever seen. I love the rubber 'golf ball' texture. Never understood why faux leather grain has always been the go-to defacto rubber texture lol. Also love the integrated grip. As a Sony A1 owner, I really think Sony should have gone that route.

I actually REALLY dislike the golf ball dimples. But the rest look interesting, well besides the Eye controlled AF. Not a feature that I think I would care for, but we'll see. Hopefully its nots baked too deeply into the control theme.

-- hide signature --

Mike Jackson - Wildlife Photography Enthusiast
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mj_flickr/

Tazz93's gear list:Tazz93's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +14 more
Kokopelli_Rocks

blackg wrote:

Maybe this will be a more photo oriented R flagship - high res 30mp+, AF improved from R5 with QPAF and higher shutter speeds, but less focus on video. Saving the R1 to be a flagship sports, action and video beast. I personally never shoot video and would love an R from canon focused on photography. The body looks awesome with the built-in grip. Throw in some eye-controlled AF from the EOS Elan 7 days

I believe eye control AF first appeared in the EOS 3, but my memory could be faulty.

There have been rumors of a 3D model for years. Being a former EOS 3 owner I am excited to see one finally coming out.

Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Sony RX100 III +21 more
ThePointblank Regular Member • Posts: 119

grenow wrote:

Development announcement here: https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-announces-that-the-powerful-professional-full-frame-eos-r3-mirrorless-camera-is-on-its-way/

Designed to sit "between" the R5 and the 1DX3, 30 fps from a new DPAF sensor, no word on size. This sounds neat:

The Electronic Viewfinder of the EOS R3 will offer photographers the ability to select the initial area for AF tracking by simply looking directly at the viewfinder location where they want to begin AF.

Interesting to note that that Canon is explicitly stating that the R3 has a new BSI sensor... a first for Canon, it's not reusing a sensor from a previous camera. This announcement just got a bit more interesting.

ThePointblank's gear list:ThePointblank's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM +1 more
Steve Balcombe Forum Pro • Posts: 14,661

Tazz93 wrote:

f1point4andbethere wrote:

I actually REALLY dislike the golf ball dimples.

I'm ok with them as a design feature, but it's what they feel like in the hand which counts. No doubt the first hands-on reports will comment on it.

But the rest look interesting, well besides the Eye controlled AF. Not a feature that I think I would care for, but we'll see. Hopefully its nots baked too deeply into the control theme.

I never had an EOS 3 - the EOS 10 was as high as my film cameras went - so I've no practical experience of this, but I have mixed feelings about it. I look forward to trying it out at some point.

BirdShooter7 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,162

grenow wrote:

Designed to sit "between" the R5 and the 1DX3, 30 fps from a new DPAF sensor, no word on size. This sounds neat:

Strange, I guess this is going to be the beta for the R1 so Canon can test the stacked BSI sensor and eye-controlled AF. It also sounds like the eye-detect AF algorithm won’t be updated any further on the R6 & R5.

-- hide signature --

Some of my bird photos can be viewed here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gregsbirds/

ThePointblank wrote:

grenow wrote:

Interesting to note that that Canon is explicitly stating that the R3 has a new BSI sensor... a first for Canon, it's not reusing a sensor from a previous camera. This announcement just got a bit more interesting.

Yes that part of the announcement is indeed very interesting

-- hide signature --

Some of my bird photos can be viewed here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gregsbirds/

Marximus
Marximus Regular Member • Posts: 321

I'm sure there will be the option to turn it off, since the footnote states it probably won't work with glasses wearers. If I wanted to buy this camera (I don't; the R5 and R6 are good enough for me), I'd probably just turn it off.

Marximus's gear list:Marximus's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6 Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon Extender EF 2x III Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS II USM +9 more
Tazz93

BirdShooter7 wrote:

grenow wrote:

Strange, I guess this is going to be the beta for the R1 so Canon can test the stacked BSI sensor and eye-controlled AF. It also sounds like the eye-detect AF algorithm won’t be updated any further on the R6 & R5.

Personally, I'm hoping the R1 will never see the conventional sensor. I'm hoping it will start life as a global shutter. I think that Sony went on the record saying that's their direction for future releases as this level.

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +14 more
Mark B.
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 28,461

Greenville wrote:

BirdShooter7 wrote:

Chris_Chapterten wrote:

justmeMN wrote:

From Twitter

Really interesting Canon is reviving the 3 Series. I had an EOS 3 and loved the camera. I was sad to sell it, but I stopped shooting film after the 2002 SLC Olympics. The camera was just gathering dust for 2.5 years and I wanted more lenses. Very happy with to see Canon bringing back eye control focus. Really liked that in my EOS 3.

My guess on naming is Canon is not ready to release an R1. A higher spec mirrorless camera is needed in the sports world. I also expect we will see a sub $2K R7 in the next 6 to 12 months.

Sadly I don't think we'll see an R7 until later in 2022.

Mark B. wrote:

Greenville wrote:

BirdShooter7 wrote:

Chris_Chapterten wrote:

justmeMN wrote:

From Twitter

Really interesting Canon is reviving the 3 Series. I had an EOS 3 and loved the camera. I was sad to sell it, but I stopped shooting film after the 2002 SLC Olympics. The camera was just gathering dust for 2.5 years and I wanted more lenses. Very happy with to see Canon bringing back eye control focus. Really liked that in my EOS 3.

Yes I’m afraid you’re right.  What I’m even more worried about is that by then it might well be too late and we might end up not seeing one at all.

-- hide signature --

Kokopelli_Rocks

BirdShooter7 wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

Greenville wrote:

BirdShooter7 wrote:

Yes I’m afraid you’re right. What I’m even more worried about is that by then it might well be too late and we might end up not seeing one at all.

That is why I said 6-12 months. Maybe this year, but probably not, but would be surprised if we don't seen an announcement in 12 months.

I am surprised by the R3. I figured Canon's top priority was an R1, but they may not be ready for an R1. While excited about an R3 as a release, I won't be buying another camera for awhile.  Will be interesting to see the details on on the R3.  I had always hoped Canon would release a digital version of the EOS 3.

RDM5546
RDM5546 Senior Member • Posts: 2,761

Tazz93 wrote:

BirdShooter7 wrote:

grenow wrote:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/explore/product-showcases/cameras-and-lenses/eos-r3

Using Deep Learning technology, the upcoming EOS R3 will offer enhanced AF performance and tracking capabilities, with even better face-, eye-, head- and body-detection. And, the EOS R3 will add a new type of subject recognition, for its AF system.

I read this Canon USA announcement say that there will be significant changes/improvements in autofocus and tracking. Even better eye detection.

Personally, I'm hoping the R1 will never see the conventional sensor. I'm hoping it will start life as a global shutter. I think that Sony went on the record saying that's their direction for future releases as this level.

I owned the EOS 3 film SLR with eye steered autofocus. Eye control of the autofocus point did not work well with people that wore glasses or even had unlucky eyes. This matters less in the R3 since it will have joystick and touch steering steering too. Thus, this is not a negative for me.

It uses a Canon designed Stacked CMOS sensor! This a major breakthrough for the potential of increased dynamic range and rolling shutter free readouts. I was hoping this sensor type development would be in the R5 but it did not happen.

However, the R5 is such a great camera to meet what I actually need, I doubt I will get the R3 despite the lust in my heart for one. It, like the 1DXIII, has the grip and heavy batteries making it bulkier and heavier than I would like. It also comes at bigger retail price than would like too. I expect it to cost $7000. A little more cost than the Sony A1 if it is more camera than A1 as I expect it will. be.

Maybe I better save from my lunch money now just in case my lust and wants overrules my needs and common sense.

RDM5546's gear list:RDM5546's gear list
Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM Canon G5 X II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Mark II +43 more
OP justmeMN Forum Pro • Posts: 10,287

Greenville wrote:

I am surprised by the R3. I figured Canon's top priority was an R1, but they may not be ready for an R1.

Canon's 1D X Mark III isn't that old. I suspect that most professional sports photographers will be sticking with that line for quite a while. Perhaps they will buy an R3 as a second body to dabble with.

Marximus
Marximus Regular Member • Posts: 321

It's supposed to be slotted between the R5 and 1DX III, so it should be a lot less than $7000. $5000 seems about right.

Marximus's gear list:Marximus's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6 Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon Extender EF 2x III Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS II USM +9 more
Tazz93
Guessing the Canon R3 price is a complete coin flip now

Marximus wrote:

It's supposed to be slotted between the R5 and 1DX III, so it should be a lot less than $7000. $5000 seems about right.

That's a big hope, I think the article DP Review made on it is right, the R3 slots in between the R5 and R1, but that doesn't mean the R3 will be in-between those $3,900 and $6,600. It may be in-between $3,900 and $8,100. And that's a big gap.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads