Nokishita: Canon R3

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
blackg Forum Member • Posts: 78
Re: Nokishita: Canon R3

Maybe this will be a more photo oriented R flagship - high res 30mp+, AF improved from R5 with QPAF and higher shutter speeds, but less focus on video. Saving the R1 to be a flagship sports, action and video beast. I personally never shoot video and would love an R from canon focused on photography. The body looks awesome with the built-in grip.  Throw in some eye-controlled AF from the EOS Elan 7 days

buellom Contributing Member • Posts: 703

I think hat the R6 is a 6D equivalence. The 6D in mirrorless is more the RP. So Canon has already messed up the naming - or Canon re-invented it.

The R3 indicates:

It's above the R5, at least regarding a certain criterium.

There is still an R1 position open.

I hope it's not the high MP camera I'm waiting for. I have no use for this kind of body, for me smaller is better.

I think it's a beefed up R5. Same sensor, no overheating, even higher frame rates, better EVF, better LCD, better sealing, more robust body (you don't need a hammer anymore to get a nail into a wall, take your R3), better connectivity, improved AF (faster calculations).

-- hide signature --

www.freude-am-licht.de

Fab-BZH Forum Member • Posts: 51

buellom wrote:

I think hat the R6 is a 6D equivalence. The 6D in mirrorless is more the RP. So Canon has already messed up the naming - or Canon re-invented it.

The R3 indicates:

I hope it's not the high MP camera I'm waiting for. I have no use for this kind of body, for me smaller is better.

I think it's a beefed up R5. Same sensor, no overheating, even higher frame rates, better EVF, better LCD, better sealing, more robust body (you don't need a hammer anymore to get a nail into a wall, take your R3), better connectivity, improved AF (faster calculations).

A R5s is already rumored for the end of 2021, with more video capabilities than the original R5, and no overheating (fan).

An highres camera with a built-in grip, I don't think it's likely, why would they do that ?

Built-in grip cameras are for heavy duty photography, and it's not the case for studio and landscape photography, where a classical shaped camera is OK.

If Canon has to launch their rumored global shutter and QuadPixelAF in a super fast camera, it's time to do it with a sport camera like an R3 ! The counterparty is that a global shutter and QuadPixelAF could only be 20 or 21Mpix...

Fab-BZH's gear list:Fab-BZH's gear list
Canon EOS R5
BirdShooter7 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,161

Fab-BZH wrote:

buellom wrote:

The R3 indicates:

A R5s is already rumored for the end of 2021, with more video capabilities than the original R5, and no overheating (fan).

An highres camera with a built-in grip, I don't think it's likely, why would they do that ?

Built-in grip cameras are for heavy duty photography, and it's not the case for studio and landscape photography, where a classical shaped camera is OK.

A couple of friends who do lots of studio work with models seem to really like the built in grip and definitely like the 100+ MP sort of resolution.  I could totally see the R3 being a modern 1ds and it totally fits the timeline Canon has hinted at.  My guess is that it won’t have the sort of frame rate that the action shooters want and we will see a ~50MP R1 not too long after the R3.

If Canon has to launch their rumored global shutter and QuadPixelAF in a super fast camera, it's time to do it with a sport camera like an R3 ! The counterparty is that a global shutter and QuadPixelAF could only be 20 or 21Mpix...

-- hide signature --

Some of my bird photos can be viewed here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gregsbirds/

Thoughts R Us
Thoughts R Us Senior Member • Posts: 2,905

Fascinating to think of what this could be.  Canon surprised everyone by going to the R3 designation and not the R1, leaving room of course for an R1 in the future.

One point to keep in mind that may or may not be a factor: we will have 3 of the most important sporting events in the world in a span of about 18 months: the Summer Olympics this year, and then the Winter Olympics and World Cup in 2022.

It would not be unusual for Canon to want to make a big impression at those events.

jwilliams Veteran Member • Posts: 6,182
I think ...

I think that there will eventually be both a R3 and R1.  I don't necessarily think these correlate to older SLR cameras.

Here's my guess (we're all guessing - right?).  2 bodies.  Virtually identical except the sensor.  One is a new high res sensor and the other uses something similar to the 20MP sensor in the 1Dx/R6.  One is for high res (will be farily quick too) and the other for ultimate speed.  Both will be 'Pro' level bodies, but aimed at different uses.

-- hide signature --

Jonathan

birdbrain
birdbrain Veteran Member • Posts: 3,923

Thoughts R Us wrote:

Fascinating to think of what this could be. Canon surprised everyone by going to the R3 designation and not the R1, leaving room of course for an R1 in the future.

One point to keep in mind that may or may not be a factor: we will have 3 of the most important sporting events in the world in a span of about 18 months: the Summer Olympics this year, and then the Winter Olympics and World Cup in 2022.

It would not be unusual for Canon to want to make a big impression at those events.

Don’t hold your breath as regards the Olympics!

-- hide signature --

Phil
I wondered why the ball kept getting bigger, then it hit me.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/philthebirdbrain/sets/

birdbrain's gear list:birdbrain's gear list
Sony RX10 II Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +7 more
Tazz93
Tazz93 Senior Member • Posts: 2,989
R3 maybe = R7?

I'm not buying this rumor. Upon close inspection of the high res render, its a little sloppy in the details and that leads me to believe its not a Canon render or photo. Straight line aliasing gives that away along with what appears to be manipulated edges along the badge. The grip surface is also a big departure from Canon's lines for no apparent reason.

IDK, its possible Canon has a real R3 up its sleeves, but I doubt it would be a full sized portrait grip integrated body as Canon has been stingy offering that to any camera not among the top tier.

They only way I can make sense of the rumor in my head is if the body is the rumored R7. A flagship crop body. That would fit the nomenclature of the R3 moniker and possibly explain the odd switch to a full integrated grip. It also allows them to price it up stream and protects the sales of the R1 all while giving a pricing option that is an little more palatable.

IDK... I just don't have a lot of faith in it being real.

-- hide signature --

Mike Jackson - Wildlife Photography Enthusiast
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mj_flickr/

Tazz93's gear list:Tazz93's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +14 more
OP justmeMN Forum Pro • Posts: 10,282
Re: R3 maybe = R7?

Tazz93 wrote:.

IDK, its possible Canon has a real R3 up its sleeves, but I doubt it would be a full sized portrait grip integrated body as Canon has been stingy offering that to any camera not among the top tier.

Perhaps the R3 will be Canon's $6,000 sports camera, and the R1 will be Canon's $10,000 sports camera.

Tazz93
Additionally

Additionally, I don't see a battery release or a forward facing mic. Again... I'm really hesitant to believe this one.

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +14 more
Alastair Norcross Veteran Member • Posts: 8,157

Thoughts R Us wrote:

Fascinating to think of what this could be. Canon surprised everyone by going to the R3 designation and not the R1, leaving room of course for an R1 in the future.

Don't forget Euro 2020 (held in 2021), and the Ashes 2021/2.

-- hide signature --

As the length of a thread approaches 150, the probability that someone will make the obvious "it's not the camera, it's the photographer" remark approaches 1.
Alastair
http://anorcross.smugmug.com
Equipment in profile

Alastair Norcross's gear list:Alastair Norcross's gear list
Canon G7 X II Canon EOS R Canon EOS M6 II Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM +27 more
MoonMadness
MoonMadness Junior Member • Posts: 31

gossamer88 wrote:

I now we know why they never made a 3D (obviously), they were waiting for the R series to be born...LOL. Will there be a R2 (D2)?

you’re going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view. The truth is often what we make of it; you heard what you wanted to hear, believed what you wanted to believe...Be mindful of your thoughts,  they betray you.

The Bad Photographer Regular Member • Posts: 127

Fab-BZH wrote:

buellom wrote:

The R3 indicates:

Or maybe that will be the R1 and this is just an extra tough do it all R5 or R6 in battle tank body and more processing power for

extra speed.

The Bad Photographer's gear list:The Bad Photographer's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS RP Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +4 more
Thoughts R Us
Nokishita Always Right

Nokishita is always right. They are the Oracle of the camera gods!😃

Thoughts R Us

birdbrain wrote:

Thoughts R Us wrote:

Don’t hold your breath as regards the Olympics!

-

There could be prototypes of these in use at this year’s Summer games. Canon could even ship the first copies in July and still have some in the hands of pro agencies

And there will be limited attendance anyway.

But there are enough high profile sporting events coming up to merit a new pro sports body. And these events will garner even more attention as the world come out of the pandemic.

Tazz93
Re: Nokishita Always Right

Thoughts R Us wrote:

Nokishita is always right. They are the Oracle of the camera gods!😃

LOL, I think he got April Fooled on this one. It just doesn't square for me. Same with any of the new rumors, minus the RF 100 macro. We'll see. I KNOW a R1-type body is in the wild being tested from some NDA talk (or better yet NDA squashed conversations), but this render just doesn't fit, so we'll have to see what real and what's not.

-- hide signature --

prsc Regular Member • Posts: 246

Nimonus wrote:

EVF lag can't be skipped, right now

But with a mirrorless setup you can skip shutter lag, funnily enough. Perhaps Canon will also bring pre-buffer shooting to the big table finally after all these years.

birdbrain
birdbrain Veteran Member • Posts: 3,923
Look Familiar?
 birdbrain's gear list:birdbrain's gear list
Sony RX10 II Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +7 more
Tazz93
Re: Look Familiar?

birdbrain wrote:

https://www.slrlounge.com/eos-3d-latest-canon-rumor-indicates-new-full-frame-series-camera-come-year/

At least that one has a battery release. LOL

-- hide signature --

Colin46 Senior Member • Posts: 1,681

BirdShooter7 wrote:

The Bad Photographer wrote:

Chris_Chapterten wrote:

justmeMN wrote:

From Twitter

Surprising! I thought it would be R1

Yes, very. Hmmm will there be an even higher level R1 someday?

I’m thinking this is the R5s, high MP camera that has been rumored.

It looks like maybe the 1ds reborn.

I hope your right, if this is 100mp sign me up for at least 1 probably 2

im sick of small camera bodies with mirrorless, I want the mirrorless tech not a small system.

low res 20mpixel 1 series camera don’t interest me anymore, great for sports not great for wildlife. Put at least an r5 spec in a 1 series body and I’m in.

Colin46's gear list:Colin46's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS II USM Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM +20 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads