From Twitter

Surprising! I thought it would be R1

The Bad Photographer Regular Member • Posts: 127
Re: Nokishita: Canon R3

Chris_Chapterten wrote:

justmeMN wrote:

From Twitter

Yes, very. Hmmm will there be an even higher level R1 someday?

The Bad Photographer's gear list:The Bad Photographer's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon EOS RP Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +4 more
Steve Balcombe Forum Pro • Posts: 14,586

justmeMN wrote:

From Twitter

That's very interesting. If the R3 name is correct, it's a strong implication that Canon doesn't think the current level of mirrorless technology is good enough to have the honour of carrying the 'R1' label.

noggin2k1
noggin2k1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,763

Steve Balcombe wrote:

justmeMN wrote:

From Twitter

That's very interesting. If the R3 name is correct, it's a strong implication that Canon doesn't think the current level of mirrorless technology is good enough to have the honour of carrying the 'R1' label.

I think it's more a response to Sony, rather than "not good enough to be an R1"

It'll be 24-ish MP in line with 1DXIII/A9II, and Canon have made the decision to keep the R1 name for an A1 competitor.

noggin2k1's gear list:noggin2k1's gear list
Leica Q2 Canon EOS R5 Sony a7C Canon RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 85mm F1.2L USM +8 more
GatanoII Regular Member • Posts: 495
Canon R3 looks good: next gen eye controlled AF?

Looks good, almost what we could have expected to be the R1, instead is "only" the R3, it means for Canon high end has also another step available in a relatively short period of time.

3 is a magic number for Canon, the EOS 3 was considered a mini EOS 1, let's see what features this camera has to offer above the R5, speed? resolution? both? or something speciali like next generation eye controlled AF?

GatanoII's gear list:GatanoII's gear list
Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Tamron SP AF 60mm F2 Di II LD IF Macro Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +2 more
BirdShooter7 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,033

The Bad Photographer wrote:

Chris_Chapterten wrote:

justmeMN wrote:

From Twitter

Yes, very. Hmmm will there be an even higher level R1 someday?

I’m thinking this is the R5s, high MP camera that has been rumored.

It looks like maybe the 1ds reborn.

-- hide signature --

Some of my bird photos can be viewed here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gregsbirds/

R2D2 Forum Pro • Posts: 23,582

Steve Balcombe wrote:

justmeMN wrote:

I tend to agree with this.  Canon (and the industry as a whole) has quite a ways to go yet before reaching Eye Detect nirvana, if the R5 is any indicator that is.

Perhaps the new R3 will sport dual DIGIC 10 processors?  A faster sensor readout?  Dual CFe slots?  Any guesses on retail?

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS M6
birdbrain
birdbrain Veteran Member • Posts: 3,871

R2D2 wrote:

Steve Balcombe wrote:

justmeMN wrote:

I tend to agree with this. Canon (and the industry as a whole) has quite a ways to go yet before reaching Eye Detect nirvana, if the R5 is any indicator that is.

Perhaps the new R3 will sport dual DIGIC 10 processors? A faster sensor readout? Dual CFe slots? Any guesses on retail?

If you have to ask you can’t afford it 😬

R2

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Phil
I wondered why the ball kept getting bigger, then it hit me.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/philthebirdbrain/sets/

birdbrain's gear list:birdbrain's gear list
Sony RX10 II Canon EOS R6 Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +7 more
Niko Todd
Niko Todd Junior Member • Posts: 47

justmeMN wrote:

From Twitter

They made R5 to be a continuation of 5d series; then the R6 as a mirrorless 6D. So, it's more likely for them to release a R1 as a milc twin of the 1D series?

R3 in this body doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever!
It's like someone has photoshoped two different models into one.
OR!
There are two Pro-oriented bodies: one cheaper as a middle finger to the A1?
But whatever it is, I absolutely dig the design, it reminds me of 1DC.

-- hide signature --

"Remember, the force will be with you always"

R2D2 Forum Pro • Posts: 23,582

birdbrain wrote:

R2D2 wrote:

Steve Balcombe wrote:

justmeMN wrote:

I tend to agree with this. Canon (and the industry as a whole) has quite a ways to go yet before reaching Eye Detect nirvana, if the R5 is any indicator that is.

Perhaps the new R3 will sport dual DIGIC 10 processors? A faster sensor readout? Dual CFe slots? Any guesses on retail?

If you have to ask you can’t afford it 😬

LOL, actually a lot of truth to that (in my case at least).

Not too keen about the built-in grip anyway. I’ve found I don’t need one for birding, and prefer the weight savings there. For other types of shooting I really like having one mounted however.  Hmm, maybe it’ll accept the beefier battery tho.

R2

-- hide signature --

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS M6
TigTillinghast Contributing Member • Posts: 519

Interesting ergonomic choices, if the image is real (and I think it is). Those top buttons are all recessed and accessible only from the back, it seems....

https://camnostic.com/2021/04/canon-to-announce-r3/

TigTillinghast's gear list:TigTillinghast's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Sony a7R IV Canon EOS R5 +1 more
Wezre Contributing Member • Posts: 814

Niko Todd wrote:

They made R5 to be a continuation of 5d series; then the R6 as a mirrorless 6D. So, it's more likely for them to release a R1 as a milc twin of the 1D series?

R3 in this body doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever!
It's like someone has photoshoped two different models into one.
OR!
There are two Pro-oriented bodies: one cheaper as a middle finger to the A1?
But whatever it is, I absolutely dig the design, it reminds me of 1DC.

I highly doubt this is a Photoshopped image.  Nokishita has an impeccable track record and typically only posts information from highly reliable sources that they have vetted and can confirm is true.

Wezre's gear list:Wezre's gear list
Nikon Z7 II Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR Nikon Z 20mm F1.8
prsc Regular Member • Posts: 240

noggin2k1 wrote:

Steve Balcombe wrote:

justmeMN wrote:

From Twitter

I think it's more a response to Sony, rather than "not good enough to be an R1"

It'll be 24-ish MP in line with 1DXIII/A9II, and Canon have made the decision to keep the R1 name for an A1 competitor.

I think so too. This may very well be a 1DX style camera, very fast with moderate resolution and robust body. But as Sony has showed already, you can have a lot of resolution and speed in same package and then throw in very advanced video features... that's what I think should be the R1. And I wouldn't be surprised if it costs 10k€.

Nimonus Regular Member • Posts: 284

EVF lag can't be skipped, right now

Escaping Senior Member • Posts: 1,274

very sexy, nice curvature ..

-- hide signature --

Esc (CT, USA) www.pbase.com/cvanlang

Escaping's gear list:Escaping's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic LX100 Fujifilm X30 +97 more
Sabud Contributing Member • Posts: 659

Yes, without a question the look of a camera for professional use. Watch and learn S..y

Fab-BZH Forum Member • Posts: 50

This R3 could have the rumored 20-21 Mpix global shutter sensor, with QuadPixelAF, dedicated to sports and any fast subjects.

Maybe Canon can't release now an 8k global-shutter sensor with QuadPixelAF, and that it's still in laboratories for the next flagship R1 (or maybe the R1 will be a compromise between highres classical rolling-shutter sensor and fast enough readout, compared to A1, eg 1/250s).

With 20 Mpix only, the R3 could not compete directly with Z9 and A1, but could be faster than them. That will be the only argument.

Let's wait for the price too ! Canon could sell the R3 about $5500, just to be under the others for the moment, before the R1 arrives at $8000 !!!

Fab-BZH's gear list:Fab-BZH's gear list
Canon EOS R5
gossamer88
gossamer88 Contributing Member • Posts: 586

I now we know why they never made a 3D (obviously), they were waiting for the R series to be born...LOL. Will there be a R2 (D2)? 

gossamer88's gear list:gossamer88's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +7 more
Karl_Guttag Senior Member • Posts: 1,063
Maybe the R3 is the Rumored 90-ish Megapixel Camera - Just a Guess

As I understand it based on Canon History:

1=Sports/Action/Speed generally with moderate resolution and the "most pro." As in 1DX with 20 megapixels and $6,500.  I'm guessing this is the one for Global Shutter mirrorless.

5=High-Resolution but generally with less speed and/or focus tracking. As in 5D with 30M and $2,500 or the 5Ds with 50M.

6=Lower resolution and slightly crippled version of the 5 (ala the 6D and R6)

7=APS-C size sensor with 5-like features (as the 7D)

This leaves R3 as a wild card. My guess (only a guess) by a process of elimination, will be for a super-high-resolution camera line. Such as the rumored 90-ish megapixels with less video capability.

Karl_Guttag's gear list:Karl_Guttag's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads