Experiments in exposure bracketing. 5 images.

Started 2 months ago | Photos
JustUs7 Senior Member • Posts: 2,159
Experiments in exposure bracketing. 5 images.

Not sure.  Seeing some artifacts that I assume are processing related.  Processed raw files in DPP4 into TIF’s. Then did the HDR composite in Affinity and exported as a JPEG. From Sanibel Island, FL a few days ago.

JustUs7's gear list:JustUs7's gear list
Canon EOS 1000D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III +7 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Emile15 Senior Member • Posts: 1,379
Re: Experiments in exposure bracketing. 5 images.

To be quite honest I don't really see it in the first image, nor am I sure it would have made much difference there. The more detail in the foreground, the more sense it makes to focus stack.

Emile15's gear list:Emile15's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-T4 Canon EOS R5 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +7 more
OP JustUs7 Senior Member • Posts: 2,159

Emile15 wrote:

To be quite honest I don't really see it in the first image, nor am I sure it would have made much difference there. The more detail in the foreground, the more sense it makes to focus stack.

These aren’t focus stacks (for depth of field).  They are exposure brackets for HDR composites.

Canon EOS 1000D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III +7 more
ken_in_nh Senior Member • Posts: 1,494

I rather like them since they don't have that artificial, fake look.  It would be interesting to see a non-hdr best exposure.

My own experience with HDR is that I could do just as well shooting RAW and then woirking the shadows and highlights a bit, but that may be because I was just using LR - not pushing things too much.

Emile15 Senior Member • Posts: 1,379

Sorry, that reveals more about my present obsession with focus stacking than about your image.

Emile15's gear list:Emile15's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-T4 Canon EOS R5 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +7 more
noisebeam Senior Member • Posts: 2,928

There is distracting concentric color banding around the sun on the 2nd image that is perhaps an artifact of the combined images and/or lens.  The green bands on the beach sand just don't work.

noisebeam's gear list:noisebeam's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 30D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM +8 more

noisebeam wrote:

There is distracting concentric color banding around the sun on the 2nd image that is perhaps an artifact of the combined images and/or lens. The green bands on the beach sand just don't work.

Noticed as well. Anything special in the compositing that would help or reduce that?  I’ll try to post a couple of the source images later.

Using Affinity Photo if anyone knows anything special there that might help.

noisebeam Senior Member • Posts: 2,928

JustUs7 wrote:

noisebeam wrote:

There is distracting concentric color banding around the sun on the 2nd image that is perhaps an artifact of the combined images and/or lens. The green bands on the beach sand just don't work.

Noticed as well. Anything special in the compositing that would help or reduce that? I’ll try to post a couple of the source images later.

Using Affinity Photo if anyone knows anything special there that might help.

I don't merge images so can't help with that.

However I have taken images like the 2nd and if I underexpose several stops (perhaps -3 EC) I can get a more defined image of the sun than this image has and can lift the shadows in post (with associated noise).  You should have some shots in the series that have a very defined sun, like the first image and some with well exposed foreground.

noisebeam's gear list:noisebeam's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 30D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM +8 more
MrSee
MrSee Senior Member • Posts: 1,921

Nice, not overcooked

-- hide signature --

Jim from Ontario Canada
Fuji X-H1
Fuji 18-55 2.8-4

MrSee's gear list:MrSee's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1
mfinley
mfinley Senior Member • Posts: 5,093

I think you're doing well. The first one has some aberrations in the sun itself around the inner circle at the edge, which could be easily removed. The 2nd one is tough due to the subject and controlling the flare inherent in that type of shot it's going to cause banding issues.

-- hide signature --
 mfinley's gear list:mfinley's gear list
Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0

A normally processed single image. I suspect the dynamic range simply wasn’t enough to warrant that level of processing.

In the other image, the banding is evident in all of them.

Here’s a single shot at f/20 for points.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads