Taking Wildflower pictures with a digital camera

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Richard46 New Member • Posts: 2
Taking Wildflower pictures with a digital camera

Back in the day (when film was alive and well) I had a Mamiya RB with a waist level finder.  Itook lots of wildflower pictures.  Some were pretty good (IIDSSM).  Some were published.  Now I have a Cannon 5D mark ii and don't know to take wildflower pictures with it.  For those who shoot wildflowers with a Cannon/Nikon digital camera, do you (a) sit or lay down on the ground, (b) have a tilt screen or equivalent, or (c)  take a pic, see what it looks like and repeat.

Thank you.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
bgbgbgbgbg Contributing Member • Posts: 868
Re: Taking Wildflower pictures with a digital camera

I do all three.

bgbgbgbgbg's gear list:bgbgbgbgbg's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +10 more
tony field Forum Pro • Posts: 11,615

Richard46 wrote:

Back in the day (when film was alive and well) I had a Mamiya RB with a waist level finder. Itook lots of wildflower pictures. Some were pretty good (IIDSSM). Some were published. Now I have a Cannon 5D mark ii and don't know to take wildflower pictures with it. For those who shoot wildflowers with a Cannon/Nikon digital camera, do you (a) sit or lay down on the ground, (b) have a tilt screen or equivalent, or (c) take a pic, see what it looks like and repeat.

Thank you.

a right angle viewfinder is available for the Canon

-- hide signature --

Charles Darwin: "ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge."
tony

yardcoyote Forum Pro • Posts: 13,600

I shoot lots of flowers, wild and tame, with Pentax DSLR and Fuji and Olympus mirrorless, and I think your questions apply pretty much across brands.

First, consider getting a macro lens if you don't have one already.  A mid tele macro works well for flowers. Mine are 90mm, 120mm, and 150mm FF equivalent.

Sometimes I squat, sometimes I kneel, sometimes I lie down on my belly like a reptile, sometimes I use my tilt screen-- it all depends on which camera I am using, what I'm wearing, how my back feels and how worried I am about passersby thinking I'm a bit loco.

And I'm always bracketing and experimenting, studying my EXIF and trying to learn more about the nuances of flower shooting.  My two main challenges are always managing depth of field and choosing shooting angles to create beautiful and interesting backgrounds that work with the colors of the flowers.

Sometimes I find my greatest successes in black and white.

Good luck with your wildflower images.

-- hide signature --

Instagram: @yardcoyote

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-M1 +18 more
BBbuilder467 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,392

Richard46 wrote:

Back in the day (when film was alive and well) I had a Mamiya RB with a waist level finder. Itook lots of wildflower pictures. Some were pretty good (IIDSSM). Some were published. Now I have a Cannon 5D mark ii and don't know to take wildflower pictures with it. For those who shoot wildflowers with a Cannon/Nikon digital camera, do you (a) sit or lay down on the ground, (b) have a tilt screen or equivalent, or (c) take a pic, see what it looks like and repeat.

Thank you.

I use a micro 4/3 with a macro lens, because some subjects are tiny and I like to get close. I would often be down on my knees and elbows, but would also do a lot with a monopod at eye level from a knee for garden flowers that are bigger and taller. That would be about the same as using a tilting lcd from waist level.

With liveview, I get a quick review after every shot, so it's easy to correct or adjust.

Ellis Vener
Ellis Vener Forum Pro • Posts: 14,974

D) all of the above.

I primarily use a Nikon Z7ii, Z6, and sometimes a Sony A7Riv. I’ll also use a tripod and as a ground pod, a Platypod Max.

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener
Professional photographer since 1984.
To see my work, please visit http://www.ellisvener.com
Or on Instagram @EllisVenerStudio

Ellis Vener's gear list:Ellis Vener's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 II +1 more
Leonard Migliore
Leonard Migliore Forum Pro • Posts: 18,532

Richard46 wrote:

Well, sometimes you have to grovel to get the picture. Looking at the 5D mark II specs, it doesn't seem to have a tilting screen. That's a real pain. I really enjoy being able to flip the screen up on my D750 when the camera's on the ground. It's much less humiliating.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads