How many 8x10s can a Canon Pro1000 print?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions
Rob Sigler New Member • Posts: 23
How many 8x10s can a Canon Pro1000 print?

Hey Gang,

I’m thinking about picking up a Canon Pro 1000. I print mostly 8x10s for clients.

my question is: how many 8x10s can a fresh set of ink cartridges print?

$700 for a set of inks is a lot…just want to make sure it’s worth it.

Rob

Canon Pixma Pro-100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
john isaacs Veteran Member • Posts: 5,110
Re: How many 8x10s can a Canon Pro1000 print?

Rob Sigler wrote:

Hey Gang,

I’m thinking about picking up a Canon Pro 1000. I print mostly 8x10s for clients.

Rob

The Pro-1000 is one of those printers that is efficient if you use it frequently.  If you use it infrequently, it will waste a lot of ink.

But if you only plan on printing 8x10's, then why are you contemplating a 17" printer?  I run two Pro-100's, one on Canon ink and one on Precision Color ink.  They don't waste a lot of ink, and can be down for months without any issues.  In fact, one of them was off line for a couple of years, and a good soak of the print head brought it back.

Yes, the Pro-1000 is a top notch printer (I'm getting one this week, in fact).  But I want it to make 17" prints, not 8x10's.  I have a very large number of prints to make, and then I'll bag it for a while.

john isaacs's gear list:john isaacs's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D750 Olympus E-M5 II Nikon D500 Olympus E-M1 II +16 more
OP Rob Sigler New Member • Posts: 23

Well, I also want the ability to make large prints if needed, however, I order hundreds of 8x10s each summer as a school photographer. I’d love to print in house for fast turn around, control of color, and no shipping fees from the lab. I bet I spend about $1500 in shipping every year. 
So where are you getting the Pro1000?  They seem to be on back order everywhere.

Rob

Mystique of Tea Forum Member • Posts: 89

Approximately 400-500 photos, depends on their saturation, brightness, paper type and printing frequency. How much you will print and how often?

Some ink will end in maintenance cartridge but more important is final photo cost. Some printers can consume less ink for maintenance but their ink is also more expensive, so final cost can be even higher. Exact data for this unfortunately don't exist and also prices seems to vary lot in different places (Red River testing totally don't fit local conditions).

But it's sure that Pro-1000 is not printer for low volume or occassional printing.

Mystique of Tea's gear list:Mystique of Tea's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EOS R Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM +3 more
PRISCILLA TURNER
PRISCILLA TURNER Senior Member • Posts: 1,689

Rob Sigler wrote:

Hey Gang,

Rob

I'm just starting out with Qimage, expecting to use it with the Canon Pro1000 that I hope to get. You can set that programme to make a little print once a week or so between bouts of more intensive printing, and I think that will keep it in fighting trim without waste.

-- hide signature --

'To see, not with, but through the eye.' [William Blake]
'The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.' [Edmund Burke]
'Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely.' [Lord Acton]
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22905474@N06/
http://priscillaturner.imagekind.com/store/

PRISCILLA TURNER's gear list:PRISCILLA TURNER's gear list
Sigma DP1 Pentax K-3 II Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) +7 more
Ken60 Senior Member • Posts: 2,623

Rob  your question is both simple and quite complex to answer.

When you first buy your printer with a new set of cartridges, it will need to charge the head and lines with ink. It will also run several test and setup routines, this is to calibrate the tonal level of the printer and check all is good. Please see Keith Cooper's  Northlight Images for his test of the printer, and comments on the amount of ink remaining after initialisation.

So to get back to your question, from that first set of inks , as Keith indicates, you will get nowhere as many prints as from subsequent sets.  Next point of variation is how frequently you use the printer , if you print a 10" x 8" every second day , then your wastage on flushing the head and keeping things wet, will be minimal. If however you print one print each month, then there will be an amount of ink used to flush the system and keep the head wet..... this is a pain but far better than some printers that will clog, and trash the head and printer !   This also depends on your humidity,  if central heating dries the air, and cleanliness.

With a quick look back at my Canon Account Manager software , it comes with the printer, I can see that the last few A4 prints used just under 1ml of ink , and a couple of heavy images ran to 1.3ml.  Each cartridge holds 80ml and there are 11 ( 12 is chroma optimiser)  so  11 cartridges  by 1. ml average and for 10" x 8" =  880 ... of course you may see as high as parity between print and maintenance ( some suggest this with their usage and ambience)  so lets say a minimum  of  440 prints from a full inkset.   Remember this is using premium "art" papers " and comparable professionally printed giclee prints  start at £5 to £6 a print  .... so at the least expensive end this equates to around  440 x £5  or £2200 worth of print from £440  worth of ink.  Of course you need to factor in paper costs at around .30p per A4 so 440 x .30p =  £132. Please understand these are rough indications , but that makes 440 for ink and 132 for A4 paper  giving a total of £572 for  £2200 worth of commercial prints.  Once you get your system calibrated well and colour management sorted, you should not have too much loss for waste.

As great as these numbers look, there are a couple of other mentions..... IF  you don't print often  you will put more ink in the waste holder than on paper, and the costs of buying the printer plus waste will make outsourcing realistic!    Even if you don't do big prints , remember the cost per ml of ink for a big printer like the Pro 1000 is way less than the price per ml for the little printers.  You don't have to do big prints to keep it wet and cost effective. .... you can not even do big prints on a little printer !

So look at your usage honestly, look closely at the cost per ml of ink from various manufacturers and calculate the margins.  Lastly if you ever decide to try canvas prints , remember that you will waster a couple of inches all round to wrap around the stretchers, and so big prints become small quickly.

-- hide signature --

Gear ... what I need to get the job done , after all you don't see mechanics listing their brand of spanner as a qualification .

dccberry Contributing Member • Posts: 827

The 80 Ml tanks are pretty small for volume printing. You will burn through those quickly, at least certain primary inks like yellow and blacks.  I checked the prices at the lab I use for some production work, and 8x10s are only a little over $2 each. Even when I print on my Pro 4100, an 8x10 is going to run close to $1 each. If you want to print volume, it would make sense to at least get a printer that uses the 700 Ml carts, or just stick with a good lab.

-- hide signature --
 dccberry's gear list:dccberry's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Ricoh GR Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Fujifilm X-T3 +7 more
OP Rob Sigler New Member • Posts: 23

Wow...thank you for taking the time to write this.  It is clear and easy to understand.

I order prints almost every day, year round...and I spend a small fortune on shipping.  I would love to remove that cost from my bank account.  

Thanks again!

Rob

Ken60 wrote:

Rob your question is both simple and quite complex to answer.

When you first buy your printer with a new set of cartridges, it will need to charge the head and lines with ink. It will also run several test and setup routines, this is to calibrate the tonal level of the printer and check all is good. Please see Keith Cooper's Northlight Images for his test of the printer, and comments on the amount of ink remaining after initialisation.

So to get back to your question, from that first set of inks , as Keith indicates, you will get nowhere as many prints as from subsequent sets. Next point of variation is how frequently you use the printer , if you print a 10" x 8" every second day , then your wastage on flushing the head and keeping things wet, will be minimal. If however you print one print each month, then there will be an amount of ink used to flush the system and keep the head wet..... this is a pain but far better than some printers that will clog, and trash the head and printer ! This also depends on your humidity, if central heating dries the air, and cleanliness.

With a quick look back at my Canon Account Manager software , it comes with the printer, I can see that the last few A4 prints used just under 1ml of ink , and a couple of heavy images ran to 1.3ml. Each cartridge holds 80ml and there are 11 ( 12 is chroma optimiser) so 11 cartridges by 1. ml average and for 10" x 8" = 880 ... of course you may see as high as parity between print and maintenance ( some suggest this with their usage and ambience) so lets say a minimum of 440 prints from a full inkset. Remember this is using premium "art" papers " and comparable professionally printed giclee prints start at £5 to £6 a print .... so at the least expensive end this equates to around 440 x £5 or £2200 worth of print from £440 worth of ink. Of course you need to factor in paper costs at around .30p per A4 so 440 x .30p = £132. Please understand these are rough indications , but that makes 440 for ink and 132 for A4 paper giving a total of £572 for £2200 worth of commercial prints. Once you get your system calibrated well and colour management sorted, you should not have too much loss for waste.

As great as these numbers look, there are a couple of other mentions..... IF you don't print often you will put more ink in the waste holder than on paper, and the costs of buying the printer plus waste will make outsourcing realistic! Even if you don't do big prints , remember the cost per ml of ink for a big printer like the Pro 1000 is way less than the price per ml for the little printers. You don't have to do big prints to keep it wet and cost effective. .... you can not even do big prints on a little printer !

So look at your usage honestly, look closely at the cost per ml of ink from various manufacturers and calculate the margins. Lastly if you ever decide to try canvas prints , remember that you will waster a couple of inches all round to wrap around the stretchers, and so big prints become small quickly.

Gesture Veteran Member • Posts: 8,030

I don't remember if the Canon Pro-1000 has roll capacity.

From all accounts, it is one of the best for affordability/quality ratio.

But have you considered using roll paper for a wider carriage printer (17 or 24). QImage is great for gang printing like that.  Then, you will need to cut the individual prints and maybe reverse curl, but that seems to me where you could realize real cost efficiencies.

There are so many advantages to printing your own besides cost and you can train a student as an assistant if you haven't already.

Hats off to anyone who can make a living with photography.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads