Fujifilm Discovery 900 Super Zoom eats new film cartridges

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
OnyxBlad3 New Member • Posts: 5
Fujifilm Discovery 900 Super Zoom eats new film cartridges

I just recently got myself a second hand discovery 900, though after getting film and a new battery for it I've realized it has one glaring issue. Whenever I put in a new cartridge (35mm fujifilm 400) and run it over to the spool the camera eats it's. To explain they have an auto wind feature that will count how many exposures are left in that set of film, and for whatever reason it will try to count it but it's never gone past 3 before being fed back into the cartridge and me having to pull hairs trying to fish it back out. I feel like I may be missing something as everything else works on the camera with no issue or hassle. I hope that it's something easy I missed and I'm just being an idiot? I really hope this is something y'all can help me with as I would love to keep the camera. Thank your for your time!

Overrank Senior Member • Posts: 2,430
Re: Fujifilm Discovery 900 Super Zoom eats new film cartridges

OnyxBlad3 wrote:

I just recently got myself a second hand discovery 900, though after getting film and a new battery for it I've realized it has one glaring issue. Whenever I put in a new cartridge (35mm fujifilm 400) and run it over to the spool the camera eats it's. To explain they have an auto wind feature that will count how many exposures are left in that set of film, and for whatever reason it will try to count it but it's never gone past 3 before being fed back into the cartridge and me having to pull hairs trying to fish it back out. I feel like I may be missing something as everything else works on the camera with no issue or hassle. I hope that it's something easy I missed and I'm just being an idiot? I really hope this is something y'all can help me with as I would love to keep the camera. Thank your for your time!

I presume the camera is pre-winding the film to the other side and then it winds it back into the cassette as you use the film (that way if you open the back your photos are safe in the cassette) ?  It sounds like there’s something wrong with one of the sensors that control this - you could try making sure all the contacts are clean and everything moves freely ?

OP OnyxBlad3 New Member • Posts: 5

I have checked most of the contacts, they are clean and the rollers move freely. Its trying to load the film to take pictures and it counts the exposures on the top of the camera as it's not a manual roll camera. And it does try to load it but it stops and puts all of it back into the camera as if I used all the exposures and need to send the canister to go get developed. I have pictures of the camera and can take a picture of the inside if need be.

OnyxBlad3 wrote:

I have checked most of the contacts, they are clean and the rollers move freely. Its trying to load the film to take pictures and it counts the exposures on the top of the camera as it's not a manual roll camera. And it does try to load it but it stops and puts all of it back into the camera as if I used all the exposures and need to send the canister to go get developed. I have pictures of the camera and can take a picture of the inside if need be.

I have a Nikon F55 which does the same thing as yours is trying to do.  When you load the film it winds all the film onto the take up spool and then sets the number of exposures to 24 or 36.   Then as you take photos it counts down until it gets to zero, pulling film back into the canister as it goes.  So the negatives end up the wrong way, with the first shot at the end of the film.  When it gets to zero it then pulls the remainder back into the canister.   It sounds like something is stopping your camera from pulling the negative all the way out, so it’s thinking there’s no film left and winding it back in.

I have a reloadable cassette that I use to test cameras, so it’s quite easy to try different things.  But you’re presumably not in that position ? If your happy you can get the film back out you could try a different roll of film ?

I've tried pulling the film out a couple of times and  it ate them all the same, the most exposures I've gotten out of a 36 roll was 3 though I like the idea of a reloadable canister that I could use to test it out, any idea where I could get one? I'm also wondering if the spool on the right side is getting too tight when it tries to spool? Is there a way I could loosen it?

Autonerd Senior Member • Posts: 1,946

Same roll or have you tried more than one?

-- hide signature --

I've tried two different ones but they were from the same box

OnyxBlad3 wrote:

I've tried pulling the film out a couple of times and it ate them all the same, the most exposures I've gotten out of a 36 roll was 3 though I like the idea of a reloadable canister that I could use to test it out, any idea where I could get one? I'm also wondering if the spool on the right side is getting too tight when it tries to spool? Is there a way I could loosen it?

I got the reloadable canister from eBay, they were a few pounds + the cost of a roll of film.

Have you bought this camera recently or is it an old one ? If you’ve bought it was it sold as working ?

Autonerd Senior Member • Posts: 1,946

OnyxBlad3 wrote:

I've tried two different ones but they were from the same box

That probably rules out a jammed cannister. I'd say the problem is the camera. As others have said, those cameras wind out the film all the way, then rewind it into the cannister as you shoot (that way if you accidentally open the back of the camera, you don't lose the pics you already took -- a very smart idea). If you got the camera from an auction site, I'd consider returning it.

I shoot with few auto-winders and none that wind out the film. I have had one reloadable cannister get jammed on me, and I had to open the camera in a dark bag. So I don't know that reloadable cannisters will help you. If the camera isn't working with pre-packaged film, my guess is it isn't going to work at all.

Sorry -- that's a major bummer. :-/

-- hide signature --

I bought it and they assumed it was working so I did take a risk, it wasn't all too expensive but I would like to see if I could pull it apart and get it working again

OnyxBlad3 wrote:

I bought it and they assumed it was working so I did take a risk, it wasn't all too expensive but I would like to see if I could pull it apart and get it working again

You might want to look at page 14 of the user manual - https://usermanual.wiki/fuji/DL900ZoomML.3422736524/view

Camera fault 2 sounds like what your having

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads