Places for bird, wildlife photography in Summer

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
agentsmith Forum Member • Posts: 81
Places for bird, wildlife photography in Summer

I'm planning a road trip across United States in summer. Any places/parks you can recommend for wildlife (especially birds) photography? Thanks.

Damnerd
Damnerd Veteran Member • Posts: 3,243
Re: Places for bird, wildlife photography in Summer

agentsmith wrote:

I'm planning a road trip across United States in summer. Any places/parks you can recommend for wildlife (especially birds) photography? Thanks.

https://www.audubon.org/important-bird-areas/morro-bay

-- hide signature --

Don
Downloading re-editing/re-touching of my images is prohibited without express permission.
Do you walk into an art exhibit or walk up to an artist at his easel and say "let me see a brush, I'll fix it for you"?
That is ludicrous.
hhtp://www.damnerd.com

PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 17,576

What sort of date range?    Generally speaking, go northern half of the US in summer.   Too hot for bird photography in the Sonoran desert (Arizona parts) in summer, but places with altitude are still viable.   For example, hummingbirds and other birds are plentiful in the 'sky islands'  (mountainous areas) in southern Arizona.   Look up Ramsey Canyon.    In the far north around the grand canyon you may see California Condors at any time of the year.

Not sure when the cranes are flocked to New Mexico's Bosque del Apache, but I think that is a late summer and fall phenomenon.

Most migratory birds will have migrated north during the summer months.

In general, not counting shorebirds and the like, I'd tend to be looking at I-80 across the country rather than I-40.

Should you go far north (I-90) through North Dakota, I highly recommend the section of Theodore Roosevelt National Park that straddles the interstate.  (About the only thing in North Dakota I know of that's recommendable.)

The Olympic Peninsula and Olympic National Forest in the pacific northwest will be ideal in the summer months.

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net
"I miss the days when I was nostalgic."

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +37 more
OP agentsmith Forum Member • Posts: 81

Thanks for the very informative post. I will be in Florida in May, and once the season is over there, I'm planning to head north (of I-80) early summer.

BirdShooter7 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,661

My personal favorite summer bird photography spots in the US are North Dakota and Arizona.  California in the summer can be quite good as well.

-- hide signature --

Some of my bird photos can be viewed here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gregsbirds/

BirdShooter7 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,661

agentsmith wrote:

Thanks for the very informative post. I will be in Florida in May, and once the season is over there, I'm planning to head north (of I-80) early summer.

June is a great time in Minnesota

-- hide signature --

Some of my bird photos can be viewed here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gregsbirds/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads