SPP on Apple M1

Started 6 months ago | Questions
hexxthalion Contributing Member • Posts: 545
SPP on Apple M1

Hi, it's been a long time since I posted anything. My current Hackintosh (yep, one of those) is too old now and am thinking about getting Mac mini with the new M1 SoC.

Has anybody tried SPP on these machines, what's the performance like?

Thank you

hexxthalion's gear list:hexxthalion's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Leica M Typ 240 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +3 more
ANSWER:
Scottelly
Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 16,309
Re: SPP on Apple M1

hexxthalion wrote:

Hi, it's been a long time since I posted anything. My current Hackintosh (yep, one of those) is too old now and am thinking about getting Mac mini with the new M1 SoC.

Thank you

Yes, I tried the latest version of SPP on a 13" M1 MacBook Pro that a friend of mine got a few weeks ago. It's fast, but at 100% view the photos show upside down, and I don't think Sigma fixed that yet. It's not just that they are upside down, and you can just flip them right side up by hitting the rotate button twice, or something like that either. There is a real problem. Every time I tried to rotate the raw images from my SD Quattro H, they could rotate once just fine, so if I wanted to view them on their side, it was no problem, but if I tried to rotate them to be right side up it did not work. It would look like it might work, but all-of-a-sudden they would flip back to being upside down, and this would happen immediately. I could never view at 100% with the images right side up, no matter how hard I tried, and no matter what I did. I tried rebooting, turning off the computer, and reinstalling the program. I even downloaded it again, and installed it fresh. Nothing helped.

I figured it might be something wrong with the MacOS, because how could SPP work on other computers just fine, and not on the M1 MacBook Pro? Hopefully they have fixed the problem by now (either Apple or Sigma).

If you do get an M1 MacBook of some type, please let us know what your experience is like with SPP running on it. I'd like to report an update in my SigmaPhotoPro.com website. I haven't mentioned the problem there, because I was hoping for more information, and I figured I'd give it some time. If the problem has persisted up until now though, I would like to know, and I would like to make a blog post about it.

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
https://www.bigprintphotos.com/

Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +26 more
OP hexxthalion Contributing Member • Posts: 545

Scottelly wrote:

hexxthalion wrote:

Thank you

Yes, I tried the latest version of SPP on a 13" M1 MacBook Pro that a friend of mine got a few weeks ago. It's fast, but at 100% view the photos show upside down, and I don't think Sigma fixed that yet. It's not just that they are upside down, and you can just flip them right side up by hitting the rotate button twice, or something like that either. There is a real problem. Every time I tried to rotate the raw images from my SD Quattro H, they could rotate once just fine, so if I wanted to view them on their side, it was no problem, but if I tried to rotate them to be right side up it did not work. It would look like it might work, but all-of-a-sudden they would flip back to being upside down, and this would happen immediately. I could never view at 100% with the images right side up, no matter how hard I tried, and no matter what I did. I tried rebooting, turning off the computer, and reinstalling the program. I even downloaded it again, and installed it fresh. Nothing helped.

I figured it might be something wrong with the MacOS, because how could SPP work on other computers just fine, and not on the M1 MacBook Pro? Hopefully they have fixed the problem by now (either Apple or Sigma).

If you do get an M1 MacBook of some type, please let us know what your experience is like with SPP running on it. I'd like to report an update in my SigmaPhotoPro.com website. I haven't mentioned the problem there, because I was hoping for more information, and I figured I'd give it some time. If the problem has persisted up until now though, I would like to know, and I would like to make a blog post about it.

Thank you - will report back once I make a decision between Intel and M1 - still torn

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Leica M Typ 240 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +3 more
tagscuderia
tagscuderia Senior Member • Posts: 1,924

Didn’t somebody reply the last time that you wrote that? Apparently it’s a Big Sur bug, because it was happening on their Intel 27” iMac. SIGMA released SPP 6.7.5 for Mac, the only release note being: Supports macOS Big Sur (11.0). So I’d be hopeful that that bug has been fixed!

N.B. I’m still running High Sierra so I can’t comment on compatibility with Apple Silicon.

tagscuderia's gear list:tagscuderia's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Sigma 50-100mm F1.8 DC HSM Art
JLK Veteran Member • Posts: 4,508

I've just ordered a Macbook Air M1 (my 2010 iMac is a bit long in the tooth). It's due here tomorrow, and I'll report in...

-- hide signature --

Jim

Carl Schofield Senior Member • Posts: 2,707

No problems with latest SPP on my Mac Mini M1 RUNNING 11.2.3.  I just use SPP to batch process raw files from my DP2M to TIFFS for further processing in LR.

-- hide signature --
 Carl Schofield's gear list:Carl Schofield's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR III Leica Q2 Monochrom Ricoh GR IIIx Fujifilm GFX 100S +7 more

My Mac mini M1 has been ordered too, looks like 11-19 April as a delivery estimate - will report back once I have it up and running

JLK wrote:

I've just ordered a Macbook Air M1 (my 2010 iMac is a bit long in the tooth). It's due here tomorrow, and I'll report in...

Thank you

JLK Veteran Member • Posts: 4,508

6.7.5 works and doesn't have the 'upside down' bug (I didn't see 6.8.0 released). Performance seems good, but I'm playing with the GPU and memory settings to see what's ideal.

-- hide signature --

Jim

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Scottelly
Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 16,309

JLK wrote:

6.7.5 works and doesn't have the 'upside down' bug (I didn't see 6.8.0 released). Performance seems good, but I'm playing with the GPU and memory settings to see what's ideal.

Thank you so much for reporting Jim. Please let us know how SPP 6.8.0 works for you. I'm interested to know if the new color modes work with raw files from the SD Quattro H cameras, or if they only work with raw files from the fp cameras.

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
https://www.bigprintphotos.com/

Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +26 more
Ceistinne Senior Member • Posts: 2,736

Scottelly wrote:

JLK wrote:

Thank you so much for reporting Jim. Please let us know how SPP 6.8.0 works for you. I'm interested to know if the new color modes work with raw files from the SD Quattro H cameras, or if they only work with raw files from the fp cameras.

Scott,

The new colour modes are for the fp only. I presume a firmware update would be necessary to have them in the sd or dp Quattros.

S

Ceistinne's gear list:Ceistinne's gear list
Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Sigma SD9 Sigma SD10 Sigma SD14 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads