Voigtländer 58 F1,4 nokton overexposure.

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
solamnus
solamnus Senior Member • Posts: 2,098
Voigtländer 58 F1,4 nokton overexposure.

So i know this has been documented and discussed here earlier. But i bought the Voigtländer a few days ago after reading good reviews on it and liked the pictures i had seen from it. I did not read about the โ€problemโ€ of it over exposing 2/3 until after when i noticed it myself ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ 
After i have read alot of different opinions on however its a problem for them or not. For me in on the fence. I love the character and built of the lens and want it to work for me even as it is. Of its a consistent over exposure adjusting for it is not that much of a hassle i guess. 
how are your experiences with it and how do you adjust and live with that knowledge still using it? Or did you sene it back feeling it was unacceptable?๐Ÿ˜Š

just curious about other peoples feelings on the lens after using it more ๐Ÿ˜

/Martin

solamnus's gear list:solamnus's gear list
Leica Q Nikon D4 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +16 more
Michael Benveniste
Michael Benveniste Veteran Member • Posts: 5,767
Re: Voigtländer 58 F1,4 nokton overexposure.

solamnus wrote:

how are your experiences with it and how do you adjust and live with that knowledge still using it?

Here's a "view from my front door" test I just did against my 60mm f/2.8D with both lenses wide open:

60mm f/2.8D

58mm f/1.4 Nokton

I don't see anywhere near 2/3rds of a stop difference between those shots. This was facing south on a mostly cloudy day. I refused to pay $60 for the "correct" Nokton lens hood and use a generic instead. For the 60mm f/2.8D I got lazy and relied on the recessed element.

You may feel the 60mm exposure is "correct," or the 58mm is "correct," and I won't argue either way, but in my experience with the Voigtländer I haven't see the type of overexposure others report.

-- hide signature --

Light travels at 2.13085531 × 10^14 smoots per fortnight. Catch some today!

Michael Benveniste's gear list:Michael Benveniste's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +43 more
solamnus
OP solamnus Senior Member • Posts: 2,098

Michael Benveniste wrote:

solamnus wrote:

how are your experiences with it and how do you adjust and live with that knowledge still using it?

Here's a "view from my front door" test I just did against my 60mm f/2.8D with both lenses wide open:

60mm f/2.8D

58mm f/1.4 Nokton

I don't see anywhere near 2/3rds of a stop difference between those shots. This was facing south on a mostly cloudy day. I refused to pay $60 for the "correct" Nokton lens hood and use a generic instead. For the 60mm f/2.8D I got lazy and relied on the recessed element.

You may feel the 60mm exposure is "correct," or the 58mm is "correct," and I won't argue either way, but in my experience with the Voigtländer I haven't see the type of overexposure others report.

That you for your respons. And very nice to see some pictures as reference too.

I had a test shootout with some manual lenses and the 58mm among them the other day. And my 58 consistently over exposed a little on all pictures. So it was not a big deal to fix in post, and now i know and all compensate in beforehand.

I also saw your other post about the hood. It seems similar to this pretty cheap one and like you im fine as long as it works with that.

Leica Q Nikon D4 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +16 more
JacquesBalthazar
JacquesBalthazar Contributing Member • Posts: 792

what generation 58 do you have? I do not have any overexposure problem at any aperture with my current gen model....

solamnus wrote:

solamnus wrote:

60mm f/2.8D

58mm f/1.4 Nokton

I had a test shootout with some manual lenses and the 58mm among them the other day. And my 58 consistently over exposed a little on all pictures. So it was not a big deal to fix in post, and now i know and all compensate in beforehand.

I also saw your other post about the hood. It seems similar to this pretty cheap one and like you im fine as long as it works with that.

JacquesBalthazar's gear list:JacquesBalthazar's gear list
Nikon Df Leica M10 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 1,4/35 ZM Nikon 28mm F1.4E +27 more
solamnus
OP solamnus Senior Member • Posts: 2,098

JacquesBalthazar wrote:

what generation 58 do you have? I do not have any overexposure problem at any aperture with my current gen model....

solamnus wrote:

solamnus wrote:

60mm f/2.8D

58mm f/1.4 Nokton

Not sure, i bought it only a week ago so should be quite new, but haven't checked serial to see if its an older stock etc. I have now set my exposure comp to about 0,7 less and that does the trick most of the time i feel:) so not THAT big of a problem since its pretty consistent. I have most trouble in direkt sunlight with it. Also bought an ND filter that might be handy when i shoot in sunlight and want to use the f1,4 anyhow.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads