Fuji GFX 100S: How to turn off top display?

Started 3 months ago | Questions
Lumpia Junior Member • Posts: 25
Fuji GFX 100S: How to turn off top display?

I just received my Fuji today. I can't figure out how to turn off the top display. When I turn the switch to the off position, everything turns off except the top display. Is this normal?

ANSWER:
Chris Dodkin
Chris Dodkin Forum Pro • Posts: 13,956
Re: Fuji GFX 100S: How to turn off top display?

yes, it's designed to do that

So that you can see how the camera is set before you switch it on

-- hide signature --

Your time is limited, so don't waste it arguing about camera features - go out and capture memories - Oh, and size does matter - shoot MF

Chris Dodkin's gear list:Chris Dodkin's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm GFX 50S Fujifilm GFX 50R +44 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
JimKasson
MOD JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 33,835

Chris Dodkin wrote:

And I consider that A Good Thing. The camera-off battery drain isn’t high.

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon Z7 Sony a7R IV Fujifilm GFX 100 Sony a9 II +1 more
SrMi
SrMi Senior Member • Posts: 2,081

Chris Dodkin wrote:

The top LCD shows how the camera was set when you turned it off, not how it is set before turning it on. If you change the aperture or the camera mode accidentally while the camera is off, that change will be shown in the top LCD only after turning the camera on. I assume that the battery level is also not updated while the camera is off.

SrMi's gear list:SrMi's gear list
Leica SL2 Fujifilm GFX 100S Sony a1 Hasselblad X1D II 50C Olympus E-M1 III +1 more
OP Lumpia Junior Member • Posts: 25

Thanks all. I've been a fly on the wall here for a while learning about the medium format world. Getting a medium format has been on my bucket list. I'm glad I finally was able to get one. I see what you mean about the usefulness of having the top display show the camera info, but it bugged me that there wasn't an option to turn it off. Well, I stayed up until 2 a.m. last night and found  an indirect way to turn off the top display. I set the top display to white and then set it to display the histogram. When I turn the camera off, the top display turns off as well.

SrMi

Lumpia wrote:

Thanks all. I've been a fly on the wall here for a while learning about the medium format world. Getting a medium format has been on my bucket list. I'm glad I finally was able to get one. I see what you mean about the usefulness of having the top display show the camera info, but it bugged me that there wasn't an option to turn it off. Well, I stayed up until 2 a.m. last night and found an indirect way to turn off the top display. I set the top display to white and then set it to display the histogram. When I turn the camera off, the top display turns off as well.

What is the reason to turn it off? I have not noticed any significant drain when the camera is off and data is displayed on the top LCD. If you are not using your camera for a long time it is best to take out the battery, anyway.

Leica SL2 Fujifilm GFX 100S Sony a1 Hasselblad X1D II 50C Olympus E-M1 III +1 more
OP Lumpia Junior Member • Posts: 25

I’ve had kitchen appliances with displays that faded over time. Not sure if that would happen to the Fuji, but that was my concern. I mainly shoot in a studio environment so my settings don’t vary greatly.

zorgtool Regular Member • Posts: 131

If your concern is about battery, just to be sure it's turn off, and not all black. A LCD screen use more power when it's display black than white. During long time those screensaver on all windows was a nightmare about power consumption (those who never turn off the screen and display some crazy thing in 3D).

Paul JN Contributing Member • Posts: 525

I thought my LCD had broke recently because I had it displaying the histogram with the lens cap on. Try that...

Paul JN's gear list:Paul JN's gear list
Leica Q Fujifilm X100V Sony a9 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm GFX 100S +6 more
Greg7579
Greg7579 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,504

Lumpia wrote:

I just received my Fuji today. I can't figure out how to turn off the top display. When I turn the switch to the off position, everything turns off except the top display. Is this normal?

I didn't read the other responses and someone probably told you....

Don't turn it off.  But you can't anyway.  It stays on and that is good.  When you grab your camera to shoot you see what the settings are before turning it on.

You just made me think about how much I love that feature.  It is awesome.

But by pushing the button you can get the different kind of readouts.  I like the straight numbers but the dials are kind of cool.

-- hide signature --
 Greg7579's gear list:Greg7579's gear list
Leica Q2 Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm GFX 100 Fujifilm GF 23mm F4 Fujifilm GF 100-200mm F5.6 +8 more
Dan_168 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,795

Lumpia wrote:

I wish I have that on my A7R IV.

Richie S Contributing Member • Posts: 547

I'm pretty sure it's e-ink, like a kindle, so the only battery drain comes when the screen is updated as opposed to when it is "on". if the display doesn't change then it doesn't drain the battery.

JimKasson

Richie S wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's e-ink, like a kindle, so the only battery drain comes when the screen is updated as opposed to when it is "on". if the display doesn't change then it doesn't drain the battery.

Fuji identifies it as LCD:

-- hide signature --

Cameralabs and imaging resource describe it as an e-ink display, and that would certainly fit how it functions as opposed to a traditional top plate display.

JimKasson

Richie S wrote:

Cameralabs and imaging resource describe it as an e-ink display, and that would certainly fit how it functions as opposed to a traditional top plate display.

Then why does it blank out when you pull the battery?

-- hide signature --

To allow a reset perhaps? I don't know. I'm not a screen expert just relaying what a number of the review sites have said and how it seems to behave. Does e-ink rely on some minimal power to display?

They also said the same about the 100 as well.

JimKasson

Richie S wrote:

To allow a reset perhaps?

I don't understand what you're saying there.

I don't know. I'm not a screen expert just relaying what a number of the review sites have said and how it seems to behave. Does e-ink rely on some minimal power to display?

Back when I looked at using the technology in the 90s, a selling point was that, in the absence of vibration, the display did not need power to continue displaying what was already there. Over time, Brownian motion degraded the display.

I'm not sure how important it is, but for now I'm going with what the manufacturer says. I can't think of a reason why they'd lie about it.

-- hide signature --
SrMi

Richie S wrote:

To allow a reset perhaps? I don't know. I'm not a screen expert just relaying what a number of the review sites have said and how it seems to behave. Does e-ink rely on some minimal power to display?

Fuji's official specification says it is LCD.

https://fujifilm-x.com/global/products/cameras/gfx100s/specifications/

rbf Regular Member • Posts: 427

JimKasson wrote:

Richie S wrote:

Then why does it blank out when you pull the battery?

The blank LCD is nice is a good battery dead or missing indicator. Went out with my 50R and a dead battery last year, no fun.

ylong New Member • Posts: 1

Thank you, it works!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads