**FZ330 REVIEW Part 2 by Stevie Boy Blue**

Started 6 months ago | User reviews
OP Stevie Boy Blue Senior Member • Posts: 1,522
Re: *Prodigal Son and Cats Return?*

Todd Beall wrote:

Stevie, I just now discovered your excellent 2-part review of the FZ300 camera. I have owned this camera for 5 years, and am now giving away my much bulkier Canon 70D (plus lenses) to a young camera enthusiast, as I've finally decided that the 300 is plenty enough camera for me (I am 69 and have nerve damage to my hands, so weight is also quite important--as is grip, and the 300 has an incredible grip!).

I especially appreciate the standard settings suggestions as well as the use of aperture priority (f4 primarily). I am going to test that out and see how it works.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write these two articles!

Sincerely,

Todd Beall

P.S. Have you read Graham Houghton's User Guide to the FZ300? I think it is excellent (though sometimes a bit too detailed for me)

Hi there and thanks for posting, Todd.

It’s always good to know that my efforts to inform readers are appreciated by at least some of the audience. Although I always find it interesting to discover that yet another person has swapped their DSLR gear for an FZ330 (300), I’m never actually surprised by such a move simply because of the convenience factor associated with bridge models compared to interchangeable lens systems and all the kafuffle involved with glass-swapping to cover all focal lengths, save to mention the usual increase in weight and bulk that comes with most ILCs.

In all honesty, I see only the smaller models in Panasonic’s M4/3rd range as viable alternatives to the FZ330. But even then, one has to factor in the requirement to carry at least two separate lenses to match the FZ’s inherent focal reach – plus the combined expense of a camera body that adds up to owning a full system. In total, even when buying at the most conservative price point, I doubt we could ‘kit-up’ for less than a grand with any M4/3 or similar ILC. And that once again brings us back to the sheer value package that comes in the form of the FZ. For the current RRP, no other bridge camera offers more than the FZ330. I’m almost sick of saying that, but it remains as true today as it was back in 2015, when the FZ330 was introduced.

And I still don’t see that changing for at least another year or two, despite the recent, silly and totally inaccurate rumour that the FZ300 has been discontinued. Readers can rest assured from my reliable sources that this wonderful camera most definitely remains in production as I write this in June 2021. But as with many other models and makes, it is undoubtedly in short supply purely due to how covid-19 has impacted the whole camera industry worldwide. Sony, Canon, Nikon, etc: you name it, they’re all struggling to make and ship their products to would-be buyers keen to grab them from retailers just as eager to restock through consumer demand. Moreover, it’s not as though demand for the FZ330 is shrinking because it remains such a bargain buy! If anyone doubts me, just ask 90% of FZ300 owners how much they rate their camera for the money they paid. (Of course, there’ll always be the odd few who like to complain, but this small percentage of users tend not to have much photography experience and would probably struggle with most cameras they buy – even though they may not admit to or even realise they’re struggling.)

So, for now, and until Panasonic themselves either announce its discontinuation or, more likely, a replacement model, the FZ300 is still being made and will be stocked by retailers on an as and when available basis, just as is happening throughout the whole photography equipment and electronics sectors relating to MANY products until some semblance of normality returns post the pandemic.

Of course, short supply inevitably means rumours of discontinuation may develop. But rumours are really all they are, and rumours tend to first be created by ignorance and supposition before being perpetuated by folks with nothing better to do with their time. Of all sources of rumour, we must also account for those deluded folks who believe they’re making clever predictions, maybe for any number of reasons including pure vindictiveness because they simply don’t like a specific brand/model and might relish seeing it fail. Truth is, there are some truly shady characters armed with a keyboard and www access that love to generate yet more of their utter rubbish. As is often said, “it really does take all sorts to make this world of ours.” Never mind, eh?

Moving on from my rambling, I’m sorry to note the nerve damage to your hands, but I’m pleased to see that the FZ300’s grip is helping somewhat to keep you in the game. As for my tips, re the review, aperture settings, etc, you’re very welcome. But thank you for the acknowledgment of my time and effort. I trust that should you get around to trying out what I’ve said, you’ll get on fine. Perhaps you’d be kind enough to let me know how you get on?

Not to worry if not, though. I’m just pleased you found something of use in my articles.

As for Graham Houghton’s User guide. No, I’m fortunate in that I have enough experience in photographic tactics and cameras not to need to read it. To be truthful, whilst I appreciate that Graham has a fan base that appreciates his efforts, I find myself disagreeing with lots that I’m told he has said or written in blog spots, etc.

Just one example for here. He advocates the use of I-resolution and even shooting in IA mode with a few different FZ cameras. I DO NOT, as neither approach is conducive to gaining the best quality photos afforded by these potentially excellent cameras.

Although I could go on to discuss further differences between how Graham and I would approach things both in relation to setting up and shooting with FZs, I’ll leave it to those who may feel they benefit from his advice to carry on taking it on board and promoting it to others. All in all, I know what works best for me and I’m more than happy to carry on disagreeing with anyone who views I-zoom and IA as advantageous in any way.

All in all: It’s nice that Graham has a following of fans. I just don’t happen to count myself amongst them. No offense to you or anyone else who values the guy’s opinions and/or advice.

Happy shooting and kind regards.

PS: Almost forgot to mention that I’m about to buy my third copy of the FZ330. Shooting on average 50,000 to 60,000 images annually means I tend to wear them out within two to three-years. As it happens, 120,000 shots into my second unit, the zoom lever has become as temperamental in use as it did on my first one. I’ve heard of this problem developing far more quickly in some other FZ300s and would be interested to hear from anyone having had the zoom lever repaired under warranty. I am trying to establish how widespread the issue may be and for how long buyers need to use the camera before it arises.

For the record. My own experiences occurred with the camera well outside of the warranty period. I am talking about the toggle zoom lever around the shutter release button. Initially the zoom begins sticking. As the problem develops, it takes a weird turn that can result in the lens extending when the user moves the lever to retract. Most strange.

Eventually the zoom lever becomes so unreliable that it’s best ignored completely in favour of zooming via the switch on the lens barrel. Note that since buying my second FZ330, I have resurrected my first unit by placing one drop of ‘silicon-based’ WD40 under the zoom lever. Although I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND anyone do this with a FZ still under warranty, unit one (which is six years old) has worked fine since its ‘lubrication’. Remember. I AM NOT ADVISING anyone else to do the same. I am just saying what appears to have worked for me.

Another point worth mentioning is that my six-year old first unit, with which I’ve shot over 250,000 photos, has dust particles inside of the front lens element. Although this dust does not show on images taken recently, I did attempt to gain access by removing the front element as per can be done with the FZ200. However, unlike the FZ200, removing the bezel and then three screws on the FZ300 does not allow access to repair or clean inside. Instead, the front lens element remains stuck firm with what I assume is weather resistant resin instead of any rubber seal that I expected to find. Hence, as the front element is glued as well as screwed on, the lens of the FZ300 is apparently not serviceable – at least from the front. No way would I ever attempt to strip down from the rear!

And as the front element is apparently glued/sealed firmly in place, I’m left slightly puzzled by how the dust got sucked in unless it’s come from behind after entering through repetitive in and out lens/zoom function over such a long period.

Just thought I'd mention this. And again, I AM NOT SUGGESTING anyone else tries any of the procedures covered above. Anything and everything one cares to do is done entirely at his or her own risk!

Bottom line. If anyone experiences the aforementioned problems with the zoom lever, please let me know, especially if problems arose before the warranty expired rather than due to expected wear and tear associated with prolonged usage such as applies with my cameras.

Apologies for the long post. But as I’m rarely viewing these pages currently, I thought I’d cover all I wish to in this one contribution. Hence it may be a while before I visit DPR again.

Cheers.

mount evans
mount evans Regular Member • Posts: 480
I have to ask a couple stupid questions about the FZ300/330

My last FZ camera was an FZ35.  The sensor dimensions and resolution were the same; has there been any improvement in the sensor (for example, noise reduction) since then?

While the 24-600mm f/2.8 zoom lens certainly sounds like an improvement, has anyone ever compared the image quality to the older zoom lens?

-- hide signature --

My pictures: flickr.com/mount_evans/albums

mount evans's gear list:mount evans's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +9 more
OP Stevie Boy Blue Senior Member • Posts: 1,522
Re: I have to ask a couple stupid questions about the FZ300/330

mount evans wrote:

My last FZ camera was an FZ35. The sensor dimensions and resolution were the same; has there been any improvement in the sensor (for example, noise reduction) since then?

While the 24-600mm f/2.8 zoom lens certainly sounds like an improvement, has anyone ever compared the image quality to the older zoom lens?

I owned an FZ38 (35) and generally loved its Jpeg output. I used the camera for around 14-months before upgrading to the FZ150.

Although I haven’t compared the 38 with the even newer FZ330 in a shoot-off from a side by side perspective, I do have many similar images taken with both cameras in conditions appropriate to conclude that overall, the FZ330 is an improvement over the older model, most noticeably when ISO is raised above 200 where the newer camera is less affected by noise. Much depends on how you prefer to set up the camera to begin with, all of which is covered in both parts of my review, including all of the replies below should you care to read them.

You might wish to consider that the FZ38 donned one of the last 12mp CCD sensors before Panasonic shifted to the MOS (CMOS) versions that arrived with the superb FZ150. Many folks actually prefer the colour rendering afforded by CCD compared to (C) MOS. But with appropriate tweaks made in-camera, including to AWB settings, I’ve never felt that the FZ330’s output is any less pleasing to my eye. On the contrary, once tweaked to my own taste, I soon began to fully appreciate the changeover in technology brought about by newer MOS chips.

To me, there’s no doubt that although up to ISO 200 you may be hard-pressed to distinguish any image taken with an FZ38 from an FZ330 used in identical conditions and under good light, improvements can be seen in FZ330 shots once ISO approaches 250 and especially at or above 400. In my experience, there’s as much fine detail reproduced in FZ330 images taken at ISO 800 as there is in those shot with the FZ38 set to ISO 400. Plus, FZ330 users have the option to open apertures wider than they can with the FZ38 when using zoom, affording the means of keeping ISO lower than is possible with the older camera, and with slightly more focal length at their disposal to boot.

FYI. Of all the FZs I’ve ever used with a 1/2.3 sensor, this is the order in which I rate them purely from the perspective of out of camera Jpeg image quality:

1: FZ330 (12mp)

2: FZ150 (12mp. Excellent IQ, so close to that seen from the FZ330 in all ISO settings. The main notable difference to me is that the 330’s slightly less inclined to blow highlights and therefore is less needy of exposure compensation than the 150 when shooting, say, white feathers under strong daylight.)

3: FZ38 (12mp)

4: FZ28 (10mp)

5 FZ200 (12mp. Some claim it’s the same sensor as that found in the FZ330, although I have my doubts because Panasonic has, as far as I know, never confirmed the rumour. Either way, the F330’s Jpeg output is far less noisy in like for-like ISO settings, possibly due to an improved processor and a better noise reduction algorithm in the newer camera. The FZ200 replaced the FZ150 but to me image quality-wise it was a letdown in comparison, despite the 200’s F2.8 aperture supposedly being more advantageous than the FZ150’s F5.2 at 600mm. Interestingly, although the newer FZ330 and FZ200 undoubtedly share the same F2.8 lens assembly, the 330 seems able to utilise it more effectively to render more pleasing image output overall – at least the way I see it. And as long as I’m happy with the output of any camera I use, that is all the matters to me.)

6: FZ50 (10mp. Slightly larger sensor was arguably no advantage above ISO 100 compared to FZ28)

7: FZ20 (5mp. Great lens. Old processing tech. Not enough pixels to allow for good quality crops. Poor above ISO 200 but seemed good in its time. My very first FZ bought back in 2004)

8: The awful FZ80. 18mp. The newest pinhead sensor FZ in town. But it easily renders the worst OOC Jpeg images I’ve ever seen from any camera in its class/range, especially at maximum 1200mm focal length, where so many subjects appear softly in focus or way out under anything but exceptionally well lit conditions. On a slightly more positive note, it appears RAW shooters post process more pleasing results than can be seen from OOC camera Jpegs, but not by enough to warrant any notable recommendation from me. At 1200mm, more often than not, the FZ80 renders horrible looking photos rammed with noise and fine detail smearing, the likes of and degrees to which I’ve never seen from any other FZ. Sad but true – at least in my experience. )

All things considered, I’d have to say that to me the FZ330 represents the ultimate package in FZ tech. Although its base ISO results remain virtually indistinguishable from the likes of the FZ38, mainly because the FZ38 is/was equally excellent for its time, the 330’s a much more complete, rounded and useful camera than anything in this pinhead sensor range, past or present.

Truth is, I find it hard to believe how this superb machine could possibly be improved upon for the money we pay. That, I believe, is why the FZ330 remains in production (albeit in short supply) six-years after its release. For the original RRP of £499, the FZ330 was head and shoulders above any of its competition way back in 2015. Amazingly, in 2021, nothing whatsoever has changed except for varying discounts. Currently for around £400, we still get the best pinhead sensor bridge camera available for the price we pay – it’s just that bit cheaper.

That is just one reason that I recently purchased my third FZ330 in six years. I know exactly how good this model is and my guess is that Panasonic knows it, too.

Bottom line, you pays your money, you takes your choice with any purchase. Go ahead, by all means look around. See for yourself exactly what other bridge cameras are out there for, or even near, the same price. Then simply weight up all your options against the full and rather impressive specifications of the FZ330 before considering that a great many more owners of this camera can attest to the fact that those specifications actually translate to real-world use.

To end with a cliché, the FZ330 does pretty much everything that is says on the tin and it does it all very well indeed for a bridge camera with a tiny sensor. Yes, there are odd folks who will complain about any product that they perhaps don’t really know how to use. A minority appear to struggle with this camera as they probably do with any other of a similar ilk. But by and large – like the very best products out there – the FZ330 appears to have an ever-growing legion of owners/fans who share at least some of my own enthusiasm for it.

Chances are that if you own and like an FZ38 and are looking to upgrade, then you’ll absolutely love an FZ330 and come to appreciate just how far advanced a camera it is in comparison. The choice, of course, is and always should be yours.

Overall, combined in both parts of this review plus all of my subsequent responses here and there, I’ve said just about as much as I can in terms of FZs and the range’s evolution from one model to another, save to wish you happy shooting with whatever camera you choose to use or the genres in which you dabble most.

Hope you find this useful and thanks for posting your questions.

Cheers and all the best to ya...

PS: Note that I judge IQ based generally on any camera’s ability to render fine hair/fur and feather detail of the wildlife subjects I photograph the most. To me, if any specific model does this well and relatively noise-free, and especially relating to smaller birds and animals, then the camera should be capable of producing good quality across the board in most genres and where light levels are sufficient for such a small sensor to perform within its limitations. As I find that the FZ330 renders fine detail well for a bridge camera, I do also occasionally use it to more than satisfactory effect for the likes of landscapes, portraits, street photography and holiday shots with no hesitation at all. If we have the light, the FZ330 will record the detail pretty much regardless of what we shoot, and in many cases to degrees that may well pleasantly surprise us.

mount evans

Thank you for taking the time to respond.  I missed the fact that Panasonic went to a completely different sensor type in the years between FZ35 and FZ330, and I shall take your word that the new one outperforms the old at high ISO; presumably that is what motivated the change.  It is encouraging that they resisted the temptation to increase the pixel count in doing so.

As for my worries about extended zoom range implying a sacrifice in optical quality, I suppose all that matters is that both lenses outperform the sensor.  (That's all that matters for any camera lens, but with ILCs they keep coming up with new bodies...)

Interesting that Panasonic briefly tried a 1/1.8" sensor, but made a bad camera out of it.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +9 more
AdamT
AdamT Forum Pro • Posts: 61,627

5 FZ200 (12mp. Some claim it’s the same sensor as that found in the FZ330, although I have my doubts because Panasonic has, as far as I know, never confirmed the rumour. Either way, the F330’s Jpeg output is far less noisy in like for-like ISO settings, possibly due to an improved processor and a better noise reduction algorithm in the newer camera.

the FZ200 is ancient now, the 300/330 is already pretty old and panasonic JPG engines came on leaps and bounds between the two models  .. I believe it is the same 12Mp sensor (Prob the best pinhead sensor made, shame the Nikon P1000 didn`t use it as the 16Mp one is too noisy IMO) , same 12Mp as the DJI Drones such as the Phantom 3 and  probably even the Mavic Mini use..  also the canon SX50HS which IMO was the best 1000mm + compact pinhead megazoom bridge camera made so shooting in RAW the FZ200 ought to be the same as those above for image quality  , I did find the SX50 to be a bit cleaner at base ISO than the FZ200/300 or the DJI Phantom 3 Pro but that could be down to the canon`s base ISO being less than stated maybe ?  or cleaner amplifiers etc ??  .

A combo of a used FZ200 and SX50HS would make the perfect bargain RAW shooters compact bridgecam duo as both can be picked up for buttons secondhand - one for reach and one for aperture speed - the SX50s lens is sharp thoughout end to end wideopen which is a miracle for sucn a lens . the SX60 and 70 didn`t pull that off from the samples i`ve seen

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon D850 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Nikon D3 Nikon Z7
ANAYV Forum Pro • Posts: 21,573

AdamT wrote:

5 FZ200 (12mp. Some claim it’s the same sensor as that found in the FZ330, although I have my doubts because Panasonic has, as far as I know, never confirmed the rumour.

Neither did they announce a newer sensor for the F300. They did for previous cameras that did use a newer sensor. so we will never know, unless someone here has both and shoots RAW . I'm sure they did improve the Venus engine for the better jpegs.

Either way, the F330’s Jpeg output is far less noisy in like for-like ISO settings, possibly due to an improved processor and a better noise reduction algorithm in the newer camera.

the FZ200 is ancient now, the 300/330 is already pretty old and panasonic JPG engines came on leaps and bounds between the two models .. I believe it is the same 12Mp sensor (Prob the best pinhead sensor made, shame the Nikon P1000 didn`t use it as the 16Mp one is too noisy IMO) ,

P950 seems to improve on that Adam T.

Shooting RAW and with DXO, no issue with noise up to ISO 800.

Too much NR smearing if shooting it jpeg.

same 12Mp as the DJI Drones such as the Phantom 3 and probably even the Mavic Mini use.. also the canon SX50HS which IMO was the best 1000mm + compact pinhead megazoom bridge camera made so shooting in RAW the FZ200 ought to be the same as those above for image quality ,

I did find the SX50 to be a bit cleaner at base ISO than the FZ200/300 or the DJI Phantom 3 Pro but that could be down to the canon`s base ISO being less than stated maybe ? or cleaner amplifiers etc ?? .

SX50 probably the best 12MP 1/2.3" sensor to date.

A combo of a used FZ200 and SX50HS would make the perfect bargain RAW shooters compact bridgecam duo as both can be picked up for buttons secondhand - one for reach and one for aperture speed - the SX50s lens is sharp thoughout end to end wideopen which is a miracle for sucn a lens .

It was. But AF was pretty bad (for anything slightly moving) , only 2fps and a horrible EVF (by todays standards)

the SX60 and 70 didn`t pull that off from the samples i`ve seen

I've owned the SX50 and SX60. Seemed a bit more dynamic range in the SX60, and AF was improved, but you are correct, the lens was not as sharp as the SX50.

Shame as the EVF was improved, as was AF and fps burst shooting.

Having owned 18 superzooms since 2004 (14 Panasonic , 2 Canon and 2 Nikons),

The best...for me ...has been the P950

Sharpest lens, best VR (one can shoot at 2000mm an only 1/80th shutter speeds).

Nikon claims their best ever VR with 5.5 stops.

Excellent EVF and good AF. fps burst also good, but internal buffer not so good.

Panasonic is better at this, as well as more assignable function buttons and seems quicker in operation

Still, no substitute for a sharp lens at 2000mm.

Only the King, the P1000 can top that.

Stay healthy, Adam T

ANAYV

AdamT

Ahh, thanks , yet to see one, the 900 didn`t shoot RAW , the 1000 is colossal (though the very slow lens is sharp at the long end) but not as clean as the SX50

I did find the SX50 to be a bit cleaner at base ISO than the FZ200/300 or the DJI Phantom 3 Pro but that could be down to the canon`s base ISO being less than stated maybe ? or cleaner amplifiers etc ?? .

Thought so .....

I've owned the SX50 and SX60. Seemed a bit more dynamic range in the SX60, and AF was improved, but you are correct, the lens was not as sharp as the SX50.

that was the killer for me, these things are deep into diffraction wideopen so need to be sharp there, amazingly the SX50 pulled that off

I could live with the weak EVF as all its needed for is framing on a small megabridge

I have owned loads too (as you probably know) - the Sony RX10 Mk3/4 are the kings of Megabridge, 1" stacked sensor and an amazing lens but they cost the earth , the lens mech can be fragile and its not the smallest camera in the world for 24-600mm . though the Pan FZ330 must be nearly as big as a G80/G90 with a 12-60 on when switched on .

I`ll have to give one a go . there are loads of 900s about used Cheap but no Raw kills it for me

Absolutely - 1000mm + is what 1:2/3" megas have going for them - and its quite a trick

Stay healthy, Adam T

You too old Friend

-- hide signature --

AdamT wrote:

Ahh, thanks , yet to see one, the 900 didn`t shoot RAW , the 1000 is colossal (though the very slow lens is sharp at the long end) but not as clean as the SX50

Yeah...too big a camera.

Thought so .....

that was the killer for me, these things are deep into diffraction wideopen

Well...I'd say' starting into diffraction' , cause if they are deep into it wide open, then how do they get such good details at f6.3?

so need to be sharp there, amazingly the SX50 pulled that off

Great lens/sensor combo in the SX50. sold mine as the EVf was giving me a headache

I could live with the weak EVF as all its needed for is framing on a small megabridge

I have owned loads too (as you probably know) - the Sony RX10 Mk3/4 are the kings of Megabridge, 1" stacked sensor and an amazing lens but they cost the earth , the lens mech can be fragile and its not the smallest camera in the world for 24-600mm .

Yes , seems that's the best superzoom with built in lens. Af seems to be better than the rest, too.

though the Pan FZ330 must be nearly as big as a G80/G90 with a 12-60 on when switched on .

I`ll have to give one a go . there are loads of 900s about used Cheap but no Raw kills it for me

Here's a tease:

ISO 1600

This downsized for the web, but is shot handheld at 1600mm and at ISO 1600, f6.3 and -7 EV.

Should there be details remaining at this ISO , near the tele end , on a pinhead sensor ?

Absolutely - 1000mm + is what 1:2/3" megas have going for them - and its quite a trick

Yep. So glad they make these type cameras...still.

No way am I putting on a 150-600mm lens on my Z 50...and it still would allow me to handhold at around 1/100th shutter...and don't want to carry such a lens.

Long live the superzooms !

Stay healthy, Adam T

You too old Friend

Yes old friend. (old in years knowing each other...we are still young at heart

ANAYV

AdamT

Well...I'd say' starting into diffraction' , cause if they are deep into it wide open, then how do they get such good details at f6.3?

M43 is starting diffraction at F5.6 let alone 1" let alone 2/3" let alone 1:1.7" so tiny  1:2.3" pinhead sensors will be deep in there at F6.3 - good details can still be had as its easier to make really sharp lenses for small sensors . the glass must be amazing for the range they cover.

Great lens/sensor combo in the SX50. sold mine as the EVf was giving me a headache

Mine had lens motor issues , stuck with M43 and the 14-140 and messed with Fuji XS1s etc after that . Missed the 1200mm though

Should there be details remaining at this ISO , near the tele end , on a pinhead sensor ?

RAW converters have really moved on !

there`s no substitute, though it looks like only Nikon are taking them seriously now

No way am I putting on a 150-600mm lens on my Z 50...and it still would allow me to handhold at around 1/100th shutter...and don't want to carry such a lens.

I`m lying in wait for a used P950 at a dealer like LCE, WEX etc at the right price now

Stay healthy, Adam T

You too old Friend

Absolutely

-- hide signature --

mount evans

ANAYV wrote:

So, the 83x zoom range does not involve any sacrifice of image quality? If so, I want a 12-1000mm zoom for my micro four thirds, 2.8 times as big and 22 times as heavy.

What DPReview had to say about the P1000 wasn't very nice:

If you need a focal length of 3000mm, it's the only game in town. If you don't need that much zoom then there are far better cameras for equal or less money.

-- hide signature --

AdamT wrote:

M43 is starting diffraction at F5.6 let alone 1" let alone 2/3" let alone 1:1.7" so tiny 1:2.3" pinhead sensors will be deep in there at F6.3 - good details can still be had as its easier to make really sharp lenses for small sensors . the glass must be amazing for the range they cover.

I see. My APS-C sensor seems to have diffraction softness...but only after f11. larger apertures details look the same.

Mine had lens motor issues , stuck with M43 and the 14-140 and messed with Fuji XS1s etc after that . Missed the 1200mm though

Nothing compares to reach...when shooting small subjects ..or far away subjects ...or both (small birds far away)

RAW converters have really moved on !

Indeed!

there`s no substitute, though it looks like only Nikon are taking them seriously now

Yeah...seems the only company still making these.

I`m lying in wait for a used P950 at a dealer like LCE, WEX etc at the right price now

Cool!

Stay healthy, Adam T

You too old Friend

Absolutely

Tim Murphy
Tim Murphy Regular Member • Posts: 380
Re: **FZ330 REVIEW Part 2 by Stevie Boy Blue**

Dear Stevie Boy, or anyone else who cares to comment,

I still own and use the FZ200, and as a one camera solution I am pleased with the results I can get from it.

My question is, besides the water-dust resistance and 4K video, is there any other compelling reason to move to the FZ300/330?  I don't really use the video features, but the water-dust resistance is interesting.  I owned a Fujifilm S-1 that offered that.  I really  appreciated that feature, so much so, that it probably lead to the cameras demise!

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg PA

-- hide signature --

Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel
And they tortured the timber and stripped all the land
Well, they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken
Then they wrote it all down as the progress of man.

Tim Murphy's gear list:Tim Murphy's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Olympus Stylus Tough 8010 Canon PowerShot S90 Olympus C-2040 Zoom Olympus C-5050 Zoom +30 more

mount evans wrote:

ANAYV wrote:

So, the 83x zoom range does not involve any sacrifice of image quality?

I'm sure it does.  It has to.

But with sharp results at 2000mm, does it really matter ?

Click ' original size' for better details

1/80th shutter at 2000mm....so this can be sharper yet, but I always handhold, no tripod/monopod used.

Also handheld at 2000mm...only 1/80th shutter, but this more like a shot at ISO 800 (Shot ISO 200, but also -2 EV)

Even the moon @ 8000mm !! Yes using 4x digital zoom...would you expect ANY details?

8000mm !!! Crazy...but not bad results.

If so, I want a 12-1000mm zoom for my micro four thirds, 2.8 times as big and 22 times as heavy.

That's the thing. Only with the tiny 1/2.3" sensors, can we get 2000mm and even 3000mm reach.

Your  4/3 sensor is around 8x larger (  I think)..so the lens would be very large and heavy.

What DPReview had to say about the P1000 wasn't very nice:

I'm sure. P950 is newer. Maybe something improved? (I know the VR system has , with over 5.5 stops...needed for handholding at 2000mm

Just for reference, I also use APS-C sensor cameras, along with my P950. One is  a Z 50.

Results for this P950 are clear to me

Really good for the sensor size and I.Q. is fine

Stay healthy

ANAYV

mount evans

AdamT wrote:

M43 is starting diffraction at F5.6 let alone 1" let alone 2/3" let alone 1:1.7" so tiny 1:2.3" pinhead sensors will be deep in there at F6.3 - good details can still be had as its easier to make really sharp lenses for small sensors . the glass must be amazing for the range they cover.

When I ran the numbers, I had the newer Olympus micro four thirds hitting the diffraction limit at f/3.7:

Physics people, please tell me how I am misapplying the Rayleigh Criterion

Did I do the math right?  I used the spacing between green photosites (4.75um) on a later model OM-D, and 530nm as the wavelength of green light.

-- hide signature --

jrtrent Veteran Member • Posts: 6,221
tests at photoreview

mount evans wrote:

My last FZ camera was an FZ35. The sensor dimensions and resolution were the same; has there been any improvement in the sensor (for example, noise reduction) since then?

I own both an FZ35 and an FZ300, though I'm not equipped to make good image quality comparisons between them (I don't even own a tripod anymore). Photoreview has made rather detailed tests of both that you might look at, if you haven't already:

https://www.photoreview.com.au/reviews/advanced-compact-cameras/fixed-lens/panasonic-lumix-dmc-fz35/

https://www.photoreview.com.au/reviews/advanced-compact-cameras/fixed-lens/panasonic-lumix-dmc-fz300/

mount evans

ANAYV wrote:

mount evans wrote:

If so, I want a 12-1000mm zoom for my micro four thirds, 2.8 times as big and 22 times as heavy.

That's the thing. Only with the tiny 1/2.3" sensors, can we get 2000mm and even 3000mm reach.

Your 4/3 sensor is around 8x larger ( I think)..so the lens would be very large and heavy.

17.3mm vs. 6.17mm; that's why I said 2.8 times bigger and 22 times heavier.

Oh, I guess the ratio of the two areas is about 7.9 so yeah, 8 times.

-- hide signature --

Joe Rito
Joe Rito Junior Member • Posts: 42

Go get ‘em Stevie Boy! It is so rare to find an electronic tool that continues to satisfy after six years- a credit to the development team.  I’m hopeful that Panasonic will continue to develop this segment, given that so many enjoy these products.

Best,

J.R.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/135833972@N05/

Joe Rito's gear list:Joe Rito's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS60 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Nikon Coolpix S9900 +16 more
mount evans

Joe Rito wrote:

Go get ‘em Stevie Boy! It is so rare to find an electronic tool that continues to satisfy after six years- a credit to the development team. I’m hopeful that Panasonic will continue to develop this segment, given that so many enjoy these products.

Best,

J.R.

We were talking about this in another thread.  Panasonic seems to be mostly concerned with its L-mount these days, and as far as the FZ series, they've moved on to the 1" sensor.  The review says that the FZ300 is still being manufactured, but it doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere.

What is the difference between the 300 and the 330?

-- hide signature --

Tim Murphy
Tim Murphy Regular Member • Posts: 380

mount evans wrote:

Joe Rito wrote:

Go get ‘em Stevie Boy! It is so rare to find an electronic tool that continues to satisfy after six years- a credit to the development team. I’m hopeful that Panasonic will continue to develop this segment, given that so many enjoy these products.

Best,

J.R.

We were talking about this in another thread. Panasonic seems to be mostly concerned with its L-mount these days, and as far as the FZ series, they've moved on to the 1" sensor. The review says that the FZ300 is still being manufactured, but it doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere.

Dear mount evans,

The FZ300 and FZ330 are one and the same. The FZ300 designation is used in North America and FZ330 is used world-wide.

B&H Photo has FZ300's in stock.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg PA

-- hide signature --

Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel
And they tortured the timber and stripped all the land
Well, they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken
Then they wrote it all down as the progress of man.

Tim Murphy's gear list:Tim Murphy's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Olympus Stylus Tough 8010 Canon PowerShot S90 Olympus C-2040 Zoom Olympus C-5050 Zoom +30 more
snappyden
snappyden Veteran Member • Posts: 5,715
FZ300 not in stock anywhere in US I have tried for past 3 weeks

Tim Murphy wrote:

mount evans wrote:

Joe Rito wrote:

Best,

J.R.

We were talking about this in another thread. Panasonic seems to be mostly concerned with its L-mount these days, and as far as the FZ series, they've moved on to the 1" sensor. The review says that the FZ300 is still being manufactured, but it doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere.

Dear mount evans,

The FZ300 and FZ330 are one and the same. The FZ300 designation is used in North America and FZ330 is used world-wide.

B&H Photo has FZ300's in stock.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg PA

Tim

I don't believe that's true. B&H site says out of stock, estimated availability is August 31. I've been on their wait list for the past 3 weeks, same with Adorama and Amazon.

Best,

Den

snappyden's gear list:snappyden's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15 Sony RX100
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads