Sigma 45mm 2.8 communication/focusing issue

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Mark Ahn Junior Member • Posts: 32
Sigma 45mm 2.8 communication/focusing issue

Just got the 45mm 2.8, mounted it on my S5, and none of the focusing function works...not even manual focus.  Initially, the aperture info communicated with the camera as I turned the ring, but after a couple of times of re-mounting the lens, that function stopped as well.  I checked the firmware just for grins, and it won't read that info either (shows only dashes, like this  -.-)

So no-brainer that it's a faulty lens?  Or am I missing something?  Anyone experience something similar with any of the Sigma lenses?   I'm new to the L-Mount and only have the 20-60 lens so far, which works perfectly.

 Mark Ahn's gear list:Mark Ahn's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Ricoh GR III Panasonic GH5 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +4 more
JDLaing50 Senior Member • Posts: 2,522
Re: Sigma 45mm 2.8 communication/focusing issue

Mark Ahn wrote:

Just got the 45mm 2.8, mounted it on my S5, and none of the focusing function works...not even manual focus. Initially, the aperture info communicated with the camera as I turned the ring, but after a couple of times of re-mounting the lens, that function stopped as well. I checked the firmware just for grins, and it won't read that info either (shows only dashes, like this -.-)

So no-brainer that it's a faulty lens? Or am I missing something? Anyone experience something similar with any of the Sigma lenses? I'm new to the L-Mount and only have the 20-60 lens so far, which works perfectly.

It sounds like a faulty lens if the 20-60 works.

Have you tried a camera reset?

 JDLaing50's gear list:JDLaing50's gear list
Sony RX1R II Olympus PEN-F Leica M-P (Typ 240) Voigtlander 50mm F1.5 Nokton Sigma 45mm F2.8 DG DN +6 more
OP Mark Ahn Junior Member • Posts: 32
Re: Sigma 45mm 2.8 communication/focusing issue
1

JDLaing50 wrote:

It sounds like a faulty lens if the 20-60 works.

Have you tried a camera reset?

I did reset and no luck.  Emailed Sigma and they almost immediately determined that it was a faulty lens and had me ship it to them directly.  I have to give kudos to Sigma... I got an immediate reply from a general email on their website, and the issue was taken care of right away.  No fussing about.

 Mark Ahn's gear list:Mark Ahn's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Ricoh GR III Panasonic GH5 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +4 more
JDLaing50 Senior Member • Posts: 2,522
Re: Sigma 45mm 2.8 communication/focusing issue

Mark Ahn wrote:

JDLaing50 wrote:

It sounds like a faulty lens if the 20-60 works.

Have you tried a camera reset?

I did reset and no luck. Emailed Sigma and they almost immediately determined that it was a faulty lens and had me ship it to them directly. I have to give kudos to Sigma... I got an immediate reply from a general email on their website, and the issue was taken care of right away. No fussing about.

That’s great service.

 JDLaing50's gear list:JDLaing50's gear list
Sony RX1R II Olympus PEN-F Leica M-P (Typ 240) Voigtlander 50mm F1.5 Nokton Sigma 45mm F2.8 DG DN +6 more
OP Mark Ahn Junior Member • Posts: 32
Re: Sigma 45mm 2.8 communication/focusing issue

Update on this since things are seemingly going a bit sideways and would like to know you thoughts. I sent the lens back to Sigma at my expense (almost $40 UPS Ground, opted to insure for $500), and just received an email from their service department that its indeed a faulty lens and will require service at a cost of $360 plus $20 s/h.

Maybe it's just me and I was expecting too much, but I got the impression that if a product arrived defective, that it would be either replaced for repaired at little or no cost.  My initial inclination was to send it back to Panasonic since I received from them as a free lens promo, but after emailing Sigma to confirm that the lens was defective, they insisted I send to them instead of Panasonic.

The repair form also note that the lens as a gray market lens, which was a bit of a surprise.

Anyway, I sent them a back an email to confirm the charge, and if indeed they are going to charge for the repair and shipping, to just leave it as is and just ship it back, and I'll try the Panasonic route.  We'll see what they come back with.  It all almost seems like too much trouble.

 Mark Ahn's gear list:Mark Ahn's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Ricoh GR III Panasonic GH5 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +4 more
JDLaing50 Senior Member • Posts: 2,522
Re: Sigma 45mm 2.8 communication/focusing issue

Mark Ahn wrote:

Update on this since things are seemingly going a bit sideways and would like to know you thoughts. I sent the lens back to Sigma at my expense (almost $40 UPS Ground, opted to insure for $500), and just received an email from their service department that its indeed a faulty lens and will require service at a cost of $360 plus $20 s/h.

Maybe it's just me and I was expecting too much, but I got the impression that if a product arrived defective, that it would be either replaced for repaired at little or no cost. My initial inclination was to send it back to Panasonic since I received from them as a free lens promo, but after emailing Sigma to confirm that the lens was defective, they insisted I send to them instead of Panasonic.

The repair form also note that the lens as a gray market lens, which was a bit of a surprise.

Anyway, I sent them a back an email to confirm the charge, and if indeed they are going to charge for the repair and shipping, to just leave it as is and just ship it back, and I'll try the Panasonic route. We'll see what they come back with. It all almost seems like too much trouble.

Where did you buy the camera/lens kit?

 JDLaing50's gear list:JDLaing50's gear list
Sony RX1R II Olympus PEN-F Leica M-P (Typ 240) Voigtlander 50mm F1.5 Nokton Sigma 45mm F2.8 DG DN +6 more
OP Mark Ahn Junior Member • Posts: 32
Re: Sigma 45mm 2.8 communication/focusing issue

From B&H, with the 20-60 kit lens.

 Mark Ahn's gear list:Mark Ahn's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Ricoh GR III Panasonic GH5 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +4 more
JDLaing50 Senior Member • Posts: 2,522
Re: Sigma 45mm 2.8 communication/focusing issue

Mark Ahn wrote:

From B&H, with the 20-60 kit lens.

Where was the 45mm bought?

 JDLaing50's gear list:JDLaing50's gear list
Sony RX1R II Olympus PEN-F Leica M-P (Typ 240) Voigtlander 50mm F1.5 Nokton Sigma 45mm F2.8 DG DN +6 more
MacroMatic Regular Member • Posts: 126
Re: Sigma 45mm 2.8 communication/focusing issue

JDLaing50 wrote:

Mark Ahn wrote:

From B&H, with the 20-60 kit lens.

Where was the 45mm bought?

He didn't buy it, it was an offer for early adopters of the S5. He got it free. I would have contacted Panasonic first, they may have just pushed him back to sigma but I see it as Panasonic issue to sort as they offered the lens for free.

To the OP, send it to Panasonic, it's their cost to bare not yours, it was an offer to you upon purchase or may even have decided you to purchase, therefore they have a legal requirement to fulfill that obligation.

OP Mark Ahn Junior Member • Posts: 32
Re: Sigma 45mm 2.8 communication/focusing issue

MacroMatic wrote:

JDLaing50 wrote:

Mark Ahn wrote:

From B&H, with the 20-60 kit lens.

Where was the 45mm bought?

He didn't buy it, it was an offer for early adopters of the S5. He got it free. I would have contacted Panasonic first, they may have just pushed him back to sigma but I see it as Panasonic issue to sort as they offered the lens for free.

To the OP, send it to Panasonic, it's their cost to bare not yours, it was an offer to you upon purchase or may even have decided you to purchase, therefore they have a legal requirement to fulfill that obligation.

Well, in my reply to Sigma's service department, I said if they decide not to replace or repair for free, just send it back as is, and I'll ship it to back to Panasonic, which, again, was my initial plan once it was confirmed by Sigma that it was a defective lens, but they suggested I send it to them instead.  Anyway, haven't heard back from them yet, so we'll see....

 Mark Ahn's gear list:Mark Ahn's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Ricoh GR III Panasonic GH5 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +4 more
OP Mark Ahn Junior Member • Posts: 32
Re: Sigma 45mm 2.8 communication/focusing issue

Issue resolved.  Apparently the service department wasn't fully aware of the Panasonic promo and red flagged the lens as a gray market product, hence the repair and shipping charge.  Once they were made aware of the promo, the lens was deemed eligible to be repaired under warranty.  So in the end, the initial good customer service still holds with a miscommunication blip along the way.

 Mark Ahn's gear list:Mark Ahn's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Ricoh GR III Panasonic GH5 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +4 more
MacroMatic Regular Member • Posts: 126
Re: Sigma 45mm 2.8 communication/focusing issue

Mark Ahn wrote:

Issue resolved. Apparently the service department wasn't fully aware of the Panasonic promo and red flagged the lens as a gray market product, hence the repair and shipping charge. Once they were made aware of the promo, the lens was deemed eligible to be repaired under warranty. So in the end, the initial good customer service still holds with a miscommunication blip along the way.

Thats good to hear.
I'm looking to get my second Sigma lens soon, 105mm 2.8 macro dg dn.
I hope it is as nice as the 14-24mm 2.8mm dg dn.

dab63 Regular Member • Posts: 107
Re: Sigma 45mm 2.8 communication/focusing issue

MacroMatic wrote:

Mark Ahn wrote:

Issue resolved. Apparently the service department wasn't fully aware of the Panasonic promo and red flagged the lens as a gray market product, hence the repair and shipping charge. Once they were made aware of the promo, the lens was deemed eligible to be repaired under warranty. So in the end, the initial good customer service still holds with a miscommunication blip along the way.

Thats good to hear.
I'm looking to get my second Sigma lens soon, 105mm 2.8 macro dg dn.
I hope it is as nice as the 14-24mm 2.8mm dg dn.

If it's possibile for you, try it (105/2.8 dg dn) on your camera before buying.
I bought it last week, tested on my Pana S1, but the af has an annoying behaviour in af-c mode.
I think the lens' firmware is not tuned with Pana's DFD .. I decided to keep it anyway because the optical performance is excellent, but it's something that it's better to evaluate before buying

-- hide signature --

daniele borghi
www.casaborghi.com
-------------------------------------

MacroMatic Regular Member • Posts: 126
Re: Sigma 45mm 2.8 communication/focusing issue

dab63 wrote:

MacroMatic wrote:

Mark Ahn wrote:

Issue resolved. Apparently the service department wasn't fully aware of the Panasonic promo and red flagged the lens as a gray market product, hence the repair and shipping charge. Once they were made aware of the promo, the lens was deemed eligible to be repaired under warranty. So in the end, the initial good customer service still holds with a miscommunication blip along the way.

Thats good to hear.
I'm looking to get my second Sigma lens soon, 105mm 2.8 macro dg dn.
I hope it is as nice as the 14-24mm 2.8mm dg dn.

If it's possibile for you, try it (105/2.8 dg dn) on your camera before buying.
I bought it last week, tested on my Pana S1, but the af has an annoying behaviour in af-c mode.
I think the lens' firmware is not tuned with Pana's DFD .. I decided to keep it anyway because the optical performance is excellent, but it's something that it's better to evaluate before buying

Oh that's not good. Mind you, I'm not a massive af-c user and af-s or manual is my usual modes. Thanks for the heads up though, I did think I could use it as an extra portrait lens for the kids, but action shots may be out. I have an S5 so would expect the same behaviour.

JDLaing50 Senior Member • Posts: 2,522
Re: Sigma 45mm 2.8 communication/focusing issue

Mark Ahn wrote:

Issue resolved. Apparently the service department wasn't fully aware of the Panasonic promo and red flagged the lens as a gray market product, hence the repair and shipping charge. Once they were made aware of the promo, the lens was deemed eligible to be repaired under warranty. So in the end, the initial good customer service still holds with a miscommunication blip along the way.

Perfect. It doesn’t get any better. Congrats.

 JDLaing50's gear list:JDLaing50's gear list
Sony RX1R II Olympus PEN-F Leica M-P (Typ 240) Voigtlander 50mm F1.5 Nokton Sigma 45mm F2.8 DG DN +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads