New R5/R6/1DXIII Firmware Released!!!

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
RDM5546
RDM5546 Senior Member • Posts: 2,729
New R5/R6/1DXIII Firmware Released!!!

https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-eos-r5-canon-eos-r6-and-canon-eos-1d-x-mark-iii-firmware-released/

Below are the features being added via firmware for the Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6, Canon EOS-1D X Mark III as well as the Canon RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM and the Canon RF 100-500mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM.

EOS R5 – Firmware Version 1.3.0 Download

1. Added Canon Log 3 to Canon Log settings, a log gamma curve that possesses largely the same characteristics with Canon Log 1 but with a wider dynamic range. It is also found in our professional line of cameras, the Cinema EOS Series, allowing easier post-production camera matching work between the EOS R5 with Cinema EOS cameras.
  2. Added Low Bitrate recording option, allowing users to shoot smaller file size footage with lower image details. This is very useful for longer recordings that do not require the best possible image quality or when storage space is a concern.
  3. Added 120p Full HD video recording, allowing users to have the flexibility to select the desired resolution for slow-motion content thus allowing more convenience during post-processing.
  4. Electronic Full-time Manual Focus
  5. LCD Backlight OFF option
  6. FTP Transfer Status Display
  7. Protect Image Transfer
  8. Save/Load Settings on Card
  9. Fixes a phenomenon, in rare cases where the camera does not function normally when using certain CFexpress cards.
  10. Fixes a phenomenon, in rare cases where the camera does not function normally when the drive mode is set to “High-speed continuous shooting” to shoot still images continuously.

EOS R6 – Firmware Version 1.3.0 Download

1. Added low bitrate recording option
  2. Electronic Full-time Manual Focus
  3. FTP Transfer Status Display
  4. Fixes a phenomenon, in rare cases where the camera does not function normally when the drive mode is set to “High-speed continuous shooting” to shoot still images continuously.
  5. Fixes a phenomenon, that may corrupt the image displayed in the electronic viewfinder.

EOS-1D X Mark III – Firmware Version 1.4.0 Download

2. FTP Transfer Status Display
  3. Improves connection reliability when using FTP and USB simultaneously

However, I checked Canon USA website for the R5 and not there yet.

RDM5546's gear list:RDM5546's gear list
Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM Canon G5 X II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Mark II +43 more
Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
davel33 Senior Member • Posts: 2,296
Re: New R5/R6/1DXIII Firmware Released!!!

Thanks

-- hide signature --

"Just one more Lens, I promise....."
Dave

davel33's gear list:davel33's gear list
Canon RF 100-400mm F5.6-8 IS USM Canon EOS R Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 +27 more
Steve_tEkGuY Regular Member • Posts: 481

thanks for the links, just watched Gordons video.

Poop so no All-I on the R6 ? lower bit rate why ?

I am disappointed

Steve_tEkGuY's gear list:Steve_tEkGuY's gear list
Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +5 more
starfly Senior Member • Posts: 1,104

Looks like they haven't added the ability to auto-switch between EFCS and Mechanical Shutter depending on shutter speed used.  Bummer, that's my most wanted feature right now.

People, please keep submitting requests for this

starfly's gear list:starfly's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM Canon RF 50mm F1.8 STM +1 more
RDM5546
OP RDM5546 Senior Member • Posts: 2,729

starfly wrote:

Looks like they haven't added the ability to auto-switch between EFCS and Mechanical Shutter depending on shutter speed used. Bummer, that's my most wanted feature right now.

Even though Canon USA Website says R5 1.3.0 is now available as a headline there is no files yet in the firmware download section!

Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM Canon G5 X II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Mark II +43 more
definedphotography Regular Member • Posts: 111

RDM5546 wrote:

starfly wrote:

Looks like they haven't added the ability to auto-switch between EFCS and Mechanical Shutter depending on shutter speed used. Bummer, that's my most wanted feature right now.

Even though Canon USA Website says R5 1.3.0 is now available as a headline there is no files yet in the firmware download section!

Its there now. Just checked.

I downloaded mine from the NZ site - a shade under 50MB.

(unknown member) New Member • Posts: 17
happy but frustrated!

My first post. Be kind.

So frustrating! Thank you for reporting this. I've been waiting for it for months. I bought an R5 in November when I finally found one.

The lower bit rates are welcome and clog 3 is even more welcome.  So half of me is very excited.  But I had hoped for Cinema RAW light and a few other improvements.

So I am cheering and venting. Very mixed emotions here.

I'll download this when I relax.

juanmaasecas Senior Member • Posts: 1,422

Just installed.

Nice new video options, but still not corrected the annoying bug with IBIS

juanmaasecas's gear list:juanmaasecas's gear list
Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +4 more

Steve_tEkGuY wrote:

thanks for the links, just watched Gordons video.

Poop so no All-I on the R6 ? lower bit rate why ?

I am disappointed

I just watched his video and it might be Cinema RAW light is also included for video. I hope that's right.

He said there will be another R6 FW update.  So there is hope.

pawn Senior Member • Posts: 2,996
Fixes for R5 hang issues?

RDM5546 wrote:

https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-eos-r5-canon-eos-r6-and-canon-eos-1d-x-mark-iii-firmware-released/

Below are the features being added via firmware for the Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6, Canon EOS-1D X Mark III as well as the Canon RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM and the Canon RF 100-500mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM.

1. Added Canon Log 3 to Canon Log settings, a log gamma curve that possesses largely the same characteristics with Canon Log 1 but with a wider dynamic range. It is also found in our professional line of cameras, the Cinema EOS Series, allowing easier post-production camera matching work between the EOS R5 with Cinema EOS cameras.
  2. Added Low Bitrate recording option, allowing users to shoot smaller file size footage with lower image details. This is very useful for longer recordings that do not require the best possible image quality or when storage space is a concern.
  3. Added 120p Full HD video recording, allowing users to have the flexibility to select the desired resolution for slow-motion content thus allowing more convenience during post-processing.
  9. Fixes a phenomenon, in rare cases where the camera does not function normally when using certain CFexpress cards.
  10. Fixes a phenomenon, in rare cases where the camera does not function normally when the drive mode is set to “High-speed continuous shooting” to shoot still images continuously.

4. Fixes a phenomenon, in rare cases where the camera does not function normally when the drive mode is set to “High-speed continuous shooting” to shoot still images continuously.
  5. Fixes a phenomenon, that may corrupt the image displayed in the electronic viewfinder.

Thanks RDM5546

I am a still user and am interested in fixes for the following issues since (1) I use a CFExpress card and (2) I do shoot in high-speed continuous:

• Fixes a phenomenon, in rare cases where the camera does not function normally when using certain CFexpress cards.
  • Fixes a phenomenon, in rare cases where the camera does not function normally when the drive mode is set to “High-speed continuous shooting” to shoot still images continuously.

How can one find more about these two?

-- hide signature --
how easy to edit new files on a PC?

I just thought of this question.

Will video files be easier to edit because of small file sizes or harder because of  more compression?

I have a MacBook but I wouldn't mind going back to Resolve on my laptop which has a larger screen.

RDM5546
Re: Fixes for R5 hang issues?

pawn wrote:

RDM5546 wrote:

Thanks RDM5546

I am a still user and am interested in fixes for the following issues since (1) I use a CFExpress card and (2) I do shoot in high-speed continuous:

• Fixes a phenomenon, in rare cases where the camera does not function normally when using certain CFexpress cards.
  • Fixes a phenomenon, in rare cases where the camera does not function normally when the drive mode is set to “High-speed continuous shooting” to shoot still images continuously.

How can one find more about these two?

I have three different brands of 256GB CFE type B cards and never had a problem shooting high speed mechanical or electronic shutter.   Most of the time I use electronic shutter these days because I have never had a rolling shutter issue in my use so far.

Vladyslav Kosulin Senior Member • Posts: 2,257

Canon Rumors does not mention it, but R5 FW update also adds [RAW (Light)] to the movie recording size and [IPB (Light)] to 8K/4K to enable lower bit rate shooting. These settings can also be selected when RAW+MP4 is set.

-- hide signature --

Vlad

Vladyslav Kosulin's gear list:Vladyslav Kosulin's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L III USM Canon RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM +1 more
User5942872967 Regular Member • Posts: 328

the ability to back up my configs is freaking awesome.

i wish there was a detailed youtube video explaining what's the other stuff is.  i see there is an extra icon when i hit the set key.  no idea what that display is doing.

User5942872967's gear list:User5942872967's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T4i Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS R5 GoPro Hero (2018) Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM +22 more
definedphotography Regular Member • Posts: 111

User5942872967 wrote:

the ability to back up my configs is freaking awesome.

i wish there was a detailed youtube video explaining what's the other stuff is. i see there is an extra icon when i hit the set key. no idea what that display is doing.

They did update the manual too btw

Chris_Chapterten Regular Member • Posts: 317

starfly wrote:

Yes! I have been requesting this too... it would be a super helpful feature.
I also have my fingers crossed they have solved some of the lockup issues...

RDM5546

Vladyslav Kosulin wrote:

Canon Rumors does not mention it, but R5 FW update also adds [RAW (Light)] to the movie recording size and [IPB (Light)] to 8K/4K to enable lower bit rate shooting. These settings can also be selected when RAW+MP4 is set.

I am curios if the light version make easier to deal with the 8K and 4K on a medium speed computer with just four cores.

traderjay
traderjay Regular Member • Posts: 466

Just upgraded! Can't wait to see the comparison between full RAW vs cinema RAW light!

-- hide signature --

Workstations - EPYC 7702 + 3950X || ASUS Strix RTX 3090OC || Canon imagePROGRAF Pro-1000

traderjay's gear list:traderjay's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM DxO Optics Pro Elite +1 more
UnTrav Regular Member • Posts: 134

RDM5546 wrote:

Vladyslav Kosulin wrote:

I am curios if the light version make easier to deal with the 8K and 4K on a medium speed computer with just four cores.

The RAW light version is only for 8K, gives me a little more then double the displayed record time. 11 mins vs 5 mins on my 128gig card.

I have not been able load the 8K Raw Light in Premiere as I get an error dropping it in. The Standard 8k RAW is working fine so might need an Adobe update to get it working.

I am using the latest PP 15.0

UnTrav's gear list:UnTrav's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +6 more
RDM5546

IPB light looks very exciting.  I wonder how well it works. The IPB light gives a lot more recording time in 4KHQ and 8K too.   I assume any thermal shutdown will be benefitted as well.   A lot of testing is required but it will require PC software that can read IP light.   Canon is going to provide upgrades for their software but the third party apps may all need upgrades for IPB light as well.   I hope they are plentiful and come quickly.   It is a useful option to  have.  Thank you Canon.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads