How to add "Metadata++" to the "Open with" list of apps in W10 Explorer context menu?

Started 5 months ago | Questions
PhotonTrapper Regular Member • Posts: 197
How to add "Metadata++" to the "Open with" list of apps in W10 Explorer context menu?

Hello fellow photographers/windows 10 users...

I am trying to add Metadata++ to my Windows 10 Explorer context menu "Open with" list of applications.

Manually choosing Metadata++ from "Always open with that application" checked, then reversing to my default app. (FastStone) did not work.

So I played with registry entries following instruction from :

https://lifehacker.com/add-any-application-to-the-windows-context-menu-1627589106

then from :

https://superuser.com/questions/1199648/strange-open-with-list-inconsistent-with-registry/1256482#1256482

then restarting explorer.exe.

But Metadata++ never shows up in the list of programs under "open with" right clicking a pic.

What gives?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
LongTimeNikonUser Senior Member • Posts: 1,319
Re: How to add "Metadata++" to the "Open with" list of apps in W10 Explorer context menu?

FYI.  Malware blocks access to the website for Metadata++ due to Trojan.

-- hide signature --

LongTimeNikonUser

LongTimeNikonUser's gear list:LongTimeNikonUser's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
Sean Nelson
Sean Nelson Forum Pro • Posts: 14,624
Re: How to add "Metadata++" to the "Open with" list of apps in W10 Explorer context menu?

PhotonTrapper wrote:

But Metadata++ never shows up in the list of programs under "open with" right clicking a pic.

First, find out where the program's ".exe" file is, usually in C:\Program Files or C:\Program files(x86).

Next, right-click on a picture file and choose "Open With" and "Choose another app".

Click the checkbox that says "Always use this app to open '.xxx' files"

Scroll down to the bottom of the list and click "More Apps"

Scroll down to the bottom of the list again and click "Look for another app on this PC"

In the "Open with..." dialogue box, navigate to the program's EXE file and select it.

Sean Nelson

Another way to do this is to open up and Explorer Window, click in the address bar (the one that shows you the current file path starting with "This PC --> disk name, etc." and replace the file path with "shell:sendto".

This will open up a special directory.  You can drag a shortcuts to various tools (they can be scripts or ".exe" files) into this directory.

Then, when you right-click a file, you can choose the "Send To" option from the pop-up menu and choose one of the shortcuts to send it to.

Austinian
MOD Austinian Forum Pro • Posts: 11,203

Sean Nelson wrote:

Another way to do this is to open up and Explorer Window, click in the address bar (the one that shows you the current file path starting with "This PC --> disk name, etc." and replace the file path with "shell:sendto".

This will open up a special directory. You can drag a shortcuts to various tools (they can be scripts or ".exe" files) into this directory.

Then, when you right-click a file, you can choose the "Send To" option from the pop-up menu and choose one of the shortcuts to send it to.

Thank you, Sean. I was unaware of this versatile and convenient method. Excellent!

Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Sony FE 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +4 more
Patco Forum Pro • Posts: 15,235

LongTimeNikonUser wrote:

FYI. Malware blocks access to the website for Metadata++ due to Trojan.

Directly from the developer's site?: https://www.logipole.com/index.html

I didn't see the issue you experienced.

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels.

OP PhotonTrapper Regular Member • Posts: 197

LongTimeNikonUser wrote:

FYI. Malware blocks access to the website for Metadata++ due to Trojan.

Thx for the heads up.

I just checked. That warning has been going on for years but it's just a false positive. Windows Defender sniffs nada.

Sean Nelson wrote:

This will open up a special directory. You can drag a shortcuts to various tools (they can be scripts or ".exe" files) into this directory.

That does indeed work to add something to the "Send to" list. But I want to add Metadata++ to my "Open with" list, where some of my other graphic tools are already. So much more intuitive for me to get there :

My Send To list is a bunch a destinations (drives, directories, and communication apps):

Charles2
Charles2 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,560

It seems that it is not easy to alter the Windows 10 Explorer right-click Open With menu. However, you can create an Open With++ menu to your taste. See
https://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/custom-open-with-menu-windows-10/

(Your request stimulated my desire, too. As usual with computer stuff, it is easy to find solutions with a search engine. I searched on windows 10 "open with" )

Jestertheclown
Jestertheclown Veteran Member • Posts: 3,302

Austinian wrote:

Sean Nelson wrote:

Thank you, Sean. I was unaware of this versatile and convenient method. Excellent!

Same here.

"It's good to be . . . . . . . . . Me!"

Thanks Charles, but it's a "workaround" that just adds yet another item to the Right Click Context menu. Now you have 3 "open with" animals in your (small) zoo:  "Open with", "Open with Textpad", "Open with ++".  My context menu is already way too large for me to crowd it even more with redundant items. So I would still prefer to to use the generic "Open with" entry.

I just tried this "solution" at :

https://superuser.com/questions/1303165/editing-the-open-with-menu-in-windows-10/1407343#1407343

(Jul 14 '20 entry) adapted for Medadata++ instead of mupdf, ... but I haven't had worked for me yet...

still working on it.

Sean Nelson

PhotonTrapper wrote:

Thanks Charles, but it's a "workaround" that just adds yet another item to the Right Click Context menu. Now you have 3 "open with" animals in your (small) zoo: "Open with", "Open with Textpad", "Open with ++". My context menu is already way too large for me to crowd it even more with redundant items. So I would still prefer to to use the generic "Open with" entry.

I will point out that the "Send To" menu addition I described above is already on your right-click context menu, so it doesn't add anything additional to it.   And it takes exactly the same number of clicks to use it as it does the "Open With" menu item.

Sean Nelson wrote:

PhotonTrapper wrote:

Thanks Charles, but it's a "workaround" that just adds yet another item to the Right Click Context menu. Now you have 3 "open with" animals in your (small) zoo: "Open with", "Open with Textpad", "Open with ++". My context menu is already way too large for me to crowd it even more with redundant items. So I would still prefer to to use the generic "Open with" entry.

I will point out that the "Send To" menu addition I described above is already on your right-click context menu, so it doesn't add anything additional to it. And it takes exactly the same number of clicks to use it as it does the "Open With" menu item.

I did not say that your "Send to" menu addition added anything to the right click context. It simply does not answer my specific question of how to add to the "Open with" list.

Billiam29 Senior Member • Posts: 2,001

PhotonTrapper wrote:

I did not say that your "Send to" menu addition added anything to the right click context. It simply does not answer my specific question of how to add to the "Open with" list.

Did you ever try the first method Sean posted to this thread? It’s the fifth post down from the top if you want to go back and reread it. I tried that method and it worked just fine for me to add Notepad++ to the "Open with" menu when I right-click on .xml files.

Billiam29 wrote:

PhotonTrapper wrote:

Did you ever try the first method Sean posted to this thread? It’s the fifth post down from the top if you want to go back and reread it. I tried that method and it worked just fine for me to add Notepad++ to the "Open with" menu when I right-click on .xml files.

Yes, I did, before my OP. I did not specifically answer this post, since I explained in my original post that I tried this technique and that it did not work. It does not work either for numerous users who have posted about this issue on Stack Exchange (threads I link to in my earlier posts) and other fora. Hence the various attempts to manually edit the Windows Registry. Unsuccessful so far.

Sean Nelson

PhotonTrapper wrote:

Sean Nelson wrote:

PhotonTrapper wrote:

I will point out that the "Send To" menu addition I described above is already on your right-click context menu, so it doesn't add anything additional to it. And it takes exactly the same number of clicks to use it as it does the "Open With" menu item.

You remind me of my IT work colleague of many years ago. When something didn't work the way he wanted it to he'd attack the problem head on and spend hours trying to get it to do what he wanted just on principle. Me, if something didn't work I'd spent a bit of time on it and if I didn't have any luck I'd find another way to do it. He used to call me "the workaround king".

Of course you're free to spend as much time as you like, I'm just trying to point out that there's no functional difference between clicking "Send To" and then the name of the program compared to clicking "Open With" and then clicking the name of the program. They both do the same thing and take the same number of clicks - but the former will solve the problem without the need for any additional investment in time.

If you're successful then please do post the solution here, that way the time you spend on it can at least be recouped by other people who want to do the same thing.

Sean Nelson

PhotonTrapper wrote:

Manually choosing Metadata++ from "Always open with that application" checked, then reversing to my default app. (FastStone) did not work.

I wonder if you could get somewhere by going to:

Start -->  Settings ("gear" icon) --> Apps --> Default Apps --> Choose default apps by file type (scroll down to see the link).

Sean Nelson wrote:

but the former will solve the problem without the need for any additional investment in time.

Actually, the "former" does not solve the problem as stated, even remotely. It just does something else. If you don't know the solution, that's fine, no big deal, and thanks for suggesting a way around. Some users may adopt it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads