Best superzoom bridge cam with better video quality

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Evil Nemesis
Evil Nemesis Forum Member • Posts: 90
Best superzoom bridge cam with better video quality

Hey, I want to decide between b500, b700, p510, p530 for best video quality. Also zoom matters. So please recommend one please and thank you.

-- hide signature --

-The Nemesis-

Evil Nemesis's gear list:Evil Nemesis's gear list
Canon EOS 1100D Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM
Nikon Coolpix B500 Nikon Coolpix B700 Nikon Coolpix P510 Nikon Coolpix P530
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Labe Forum Pro • Posts: 12,509
Re: Best superzoom bridge cam with better video quality

The b700 as it is a higher end model with more reach, evf and uses a rechargeable battery but none of these cameras are fantastic at video due to the small sensor.

Sony and Panasonic tend to be the better options for video use especially the 1” sensor models.

-- hide signature --

Back to bridge cameras......

Labe's gear list:Labe's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Fujifilm FinePix IS-1 Fujifilm X-S1 Fujifilm FinePix HS30EXR +8 more
Evil Nemesis
OP Evil Nemesis Forum Member • Posts: 90

I see, Sony only has few in that range but they have max 25x zoom, how about sx620 or hx400? all I want to shoot bugs from distance.

-- hide signature --

-The Nemesis-

Canon EOS 1100D Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM

Evil Nemesis wrote:

I see, Sony only has few in that range but they have max 25x zoom, how about sx620 or hx400? all I want to shoot bugs from distance.

Shooting bugs from a distance is going to be a challenge as you need macro type magnification which then limits usable zoom as the minimum focus distance to subject gets further away as the zoom level increases. 
 So we need to know the intended distance from the bugs and how big the bugs are and how much of the surrounding you wish to include. 
 Also remember the older the camera the poorer the video quality is likely to be .

-- hide signature --

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Fujifilm FinePix IS-1 Fujifilm X-S1 Fujifilm FinePix HS30EXR +8 more
Evil Nemesis

https://youtu.be/A98ieg8mf0k

Something like that, I know shooting macros need additional lenses and unfortunately raynex aint available here. Distance would be 40 feet. No environment.

-- hide signature --

-The Nemesis-

Evil Nemesis wrote:

https://youtu.be/A98ieg8mf0k

Something like that, I know shooting macros need additional lenses and unfortunately raynex aint available here. Distance would be 40 feet. No environment.

Sadly I don’t think it’s physically possible on your budget doing macro video at 40 feet . I could be wrong . 
 Fitting a raynox for example will reduce distance from camera to subject to between 6” to 18” depending on which raynox and how long a focal length your using . 
 Videoing birds no problem.

-- hide signature --

Evil Nemesis

if a b700 can do dragonfly closeup and a b500 can do same from 15 feet then why can't p900 do that?

-- hide signature --

-The Nemesis-

Evil Nemesis wrote:

if a b700 can do dragonfly closeup and a b500 can do same from 15 feet then why can't p900 do that?

who said it can’t . ?
 Never tried it myself.

Different lens set up . I can’t remember what the minimum focal distance is at various focal lengths .
Don’t forget the P 900 goes from 24-2000 compared to the shorter zooms of the other models you list .

-- hide signature --

Labe wrote:

Evil Nemesis wrote:

oh 15feet is way different to 40 feet.

who said it can’t . ?
Never tried it myself.

Different lens set up . I can’t remember what the minimum focal distance is at various focal lengths .
Don’t forget the P 900 goes from 24-2000 compared to the shorter zooms of the other models you list .

Update

found minimum focus distance ( approx)

P900 @ 800mm =2.5metres

@1000mm =3.5metres

@1500mm =4 metres

-- hide signature --

p900learner
p900learner Senior Member • Posts: 1,726

I see Labe has given you some good advice. I'm no expert, but I do shoot a lot of dragonflies and butterflies as close-ups, not the real macro shots - stills not video

Here is a good reference of using the Rayonex close-up add-on lens with a Canon Powershot for video. The latest ones were with the SX60. Early ones with an SX40. I can't remember if he went to an SX-50 at some point. The SX60 never had the reputation the SX-50 had. The SX-50 will be in your price range, and has a stellar reputation for a lot of things - you would have to be somewhat patient to find a nice used one, but they are out there. You can see the photographer is a distance away.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMXst0dIc-Dnh73RmdSXmqw/videos

To note - and I don't know if it was just me, but I really had difficulty getting the Rayonex lens to focus properly, maybe I didn't have the patience, to master the learning curve. Sent it back thinking a gadget for me that would sit on a shelf.

Good luck. Ev

PS - Some practice dragons I did when my used Panasonic Lumix FZ-1000 arrived - kind of right out of the box - camera has a 1" sensor and is highly rated. Handheld, and not maybe close to 10 ft. away. Don't know if these meet your expectations.

https://evsphotos.smugmug.com/Panasonic-Lumix-FZ1000macro-practice/

https://evsphotos.smugmug.com/

p900learner's gear list:p900learner's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P950 FastStone Image Viewer PhotoScape
Evil Nemesis

Thanks, is hx400v better than sx50 or sx60? in terms of video quality?

-- hide signature --

-The Nemesis-

p900learner

Evil Nemesis wrote:

I think in terms of video quality - one will be more or less the same depending on the user's skill.  Someone who is skilled in using superzoom/bridge cameras for video or stills for that matter can get better results in any of them, than someone who is not a skilled user.

I can with confidence say the sx50 has retained its stellar reputation over the years, and has been highly thought of for nature photography, insects as well as birds, etc.,  whereas the SX60 not as much.

Ev

-- hide signature --

Evil Nemesis wrote:

Your asking about a 7 year old Sony camera in a Nikon forum so it’s bit hard to give you a good honest answer try reading this https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/2017-roundup-consumer-long-zoom-compacts

and see if that helps

-- hide signature --

Evil Nemesis

Ok I'm confused now.

-- hide signature --

-The Nemesis-

p900learner

Evil Nemesis wrote:

Ok I'm confused now.

Labe, explained things to you with a link to follow. I was the one that got away from your original inquiry about the Nikon Coolpix models - I shouldn't have done that.

Just to say, there is Sony HX cameras and Canon SX models. Perhaps persue your Q's on the Canon Powershot or Sony Cyber-shot forums.

Ev

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads