Olympus Em1 Mk2 + 12-100 F4 PRO or Sony RX100 VII

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Joshua1209 New Member • Posts: 22
Olympus Em1 Mk2 + 12-100 F4 PRO or Sony RX100 VII

Dear friends,

I am new here. I am looking for a travel camera. I have been thinking about the Olympus Em1 MK2 and 12-100f4 pro or the RX100 VII.

Both have the same reach. The RX100 VII is pocketable and has a great AF.

The Olympus is rugged and has a bigger sensor.

How much of a difference is there in image quality?

How is the AF of the EM1 MK2 after the latest firmware update? I gave up on an EM10 Mk2 long ago because of the C-AF or the lack thereof. I miss the tactile feeling of the Olympus.

I don't mind the extra 400 or so bucks I need to shell out for the Olympus and 12-100 lens over the RX100 VII if the image quality is significantly better.

How does the auto HDR work on both cameras? I mean to say how are the straight out of camera JPEGS.

Do any of them stack images for DR in-camera? If so, how good a job they do?

I don't mind the heft of the Olympus but I am also enticed by the poatability of the RX100. Unfortunately, I can only afford one of them.

I intend shoot aome architecture, nature, portraits, landscapes.

Both are image stabilised too.

I don't intend to use the setup for videos.

Having to make a choice between the two is making me anxious. πŸ˜…

Appreciate your input.

Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX1 Sony RX100 Sony RX100 V Sony RX100 VI
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 21,379
Re: Olympus Em1 Mk2 + 12-100 F4 PRO or Sony RX100 VII

Nobody else has yet replied to you so I will have a go.  I have never owned an RX100, although I have certainly thought about it.  I do own an Olympus E-M1.2 but not the 12-100mm lens - I have the 12-40mm f/2.8 instead.

The big difference between these two is size and flexibility.  I don't think that you are going to find any significant difference in image quality - the Olympus might just shade it because of the larger sensor.  I also think that the AF performance with both cameras will be more than adequate for what you won't to photograph.  Both have in-camera HDR.  They both have many, many functions that you will never use.

The handling and controls will be much better on the Olympus because its larger body has more space for buttons and wheels - handling has always been a weakness of the RX100 series.  The Olympus EVF is probably much better as well.  However, if you are only ever going to use the camera in auto mode, the poor handling of the Sony may not be an issue for you.  For me, the handling was what put me off getting any of RX100 series cameras.

That leaves size and flexibility.  The Olympus is a pretty big camera with the 12-100mm lens mounted.  The Sony is tiny.  On the other hand, everything is fixed on the Sony, with the Olympus you can change lenses which greatly increases your flexibility in using the camera.

At the end of the day, you have to make the choice between size and flexibility/handling.

Personally, if I were in your position, I would be looking at the cheaper Sony RX100 MkVI or earlier cameras rather than the Mk VII.  I would also go for the smaller Olympus E-M5 MkIII over the E-M1.2, and I would probably go for two smaller, cheaper lenses instead of the big, expensive 12-100mm.  I would also consider the Panasonic LX100 MkII as an alternative between the Sony and Olympus in terms of size.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 21,379
Another alternative

If you are prepared to pay the cost and carry the weight of the Olympus option, then have you considered the Sony RX10 MkIV?

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
OP Joshua1209 New Member • Posts: 22

Chris R-UK wrote:

Nobody else has yet replied to you so I will have a go. I have never owned an RX100, although I have certainly thought about it. I do own an Olympus E-M1.2 but not the 12-100mm lens - I have the 12-40mm f/2.8 instead.

Thanks for your reply Chris. Actually, I need the get the camera soon.

The big difference between these two is size and flexibility. I don't think that you are going to find any significant difference in image quality - the Olympus might just shade it because of the larger sensor. I also think that the AF performance with both cameras will be more than adequate for what you won't to photograph. Both have in-camera HDR. They both have many, many functions that you will never use.

If the Sony does a good job of the auto HDR mode and if there isn't much of a difference in image quality, then it doesn't really make much sense for me in getting the bigger but wonderfully built Oly.

One thing I was concerned about was that I can put an ND on the Olympus. Don't know about the RX Mk7, if there is anything available for that doesn't negate its form factor.

The handling and controls will be much better on the Olympus because its larger body has more space for buttons and wheels - handling has always been a weakness of the RX100 series. The Olympus EVF is probably much better as well. However, if you are only ever going to use the camera in auto mode, the poor handling of the Sony may not be an issue for you. For me, the handling was what put me off getting any of RX100 series cameras.

You're right there friend. I have factored that in and have thought about a smallrig cage for the RX with the wooden handle.

That leaves size and flexibility. The Olympus is a pretty big camera with the 12-100mm lens mounted. The Sony is tiny. On the other hand, everything is fixed on the Sony, with the Olympus you can change lenses which greatly increases your flexibility in using the camera.

That's what I was thinking about as well for when the light drops. I could buy a 17mm Oly lens, either the 1.2 or the 1.8 for the evenings. No idea how the 12 to 100 f4 will perform in the evening. The Sony won't do very well with High ISOs I guess.

At the end of the day, you have to make the choice between size and flexibility/handling.

Personally, if I were in your position, I would be looking at the cheaper Sony RX100 MkVI or earlier cameras rather than the Mk VII. I would also go for the smaller Olympus E-M5 MkIII over the E-M1.2, and I would probably go for two smaller, cheaper lenses instead of the big, expensive 12-100mm. I would also consider the Panasonic LX100 MkII as an alternative between the Sony and Olympus in terms of size.

I looked at the EM5 mk3 but it ia retailing at a couple of hundred pounds more than the em1 mk2. I need the the range 24 to 200, so I was looking at the 12 to 100 and the Sony. Without the deeper grip, will the Em5 balance well when attached to the 12 to 100.

I gave up on the Em10 m2 because of the contrast detect AF. The shutter speed would go too low and cranking up the ISO to maintain good shutter speeds introduced a lot of noise, at which point it was not much better than my IPhone. The range of the LX100 mk2 is not what I need and the Contrast Detect AF.

I guess I will have to try both out but its hard to get your hands on either of them during the lock down. πŸ˜…

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Thanks again Chris.

techie takes pics Senior Member • Posts: 1,370

I also have the M10.II (not selling it!), had the M1.2 and now use the M5.3.

I recognize the lack of C-AF, but I do shoot moving targets. You do not so do you really need it?  Anyway, the C-AF works. It really works. Especially in combination with Pro Capture, you get good bursts which center exactly around the point of interest.

I would go for the flexibility of the interchangeable lens system.   I found the M1.2 a bit too big. The M5.3 really is pocketable with a small lens (like the 17mm f1.8).
That is what I like about changing lenses: You can have a big zoom system or a pocketable streeet&evening camera, all in one.

The OOC Jpegs are good enough. I can transfer them to my phone and always happify people with a picture. I also like the filters!

techie takes pics's gear list:techie takes pics's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 +6 more
PhotonBeam Regular Member • Posts: 141

Joshua1209 wrote:

Dear friends,

I am new here. I am looking for a travel camera. I have been thinking about the Olympus Em1 MK2 and 12-100f4 pro or the RX100 VII.

How is the AF of the EM1 MK2 after the latest firmware update? I gave up on an EM10 Mk2 long ago because of the C-AF or the lack thereof. I miss the tactile feeling of the Olympus.

I don't mind the extra 400 or so bucks I need to shell out for the Olympus and 12-100 lens over the RX100 VII if the image quality is significantly better.

How does the auto HDR work on both cameras? I mean to say how are the straight out of camera JPEGS.

I don't mind the heft of the Olympus but I am also enticed by the portability of the RX100. Unfortunately, I can only afford one of them.

Appreciate your input.

I think the answer partly depends on whether you think you will ever need/desire a lens outside the range of the Sony.

When I got my Olympus EM5 10 years ago I only had a 20mm prime lens and a 45mm prime lens. I told myself that I had no need for telephoto lenses.

Fast-forward 10 years and I have procured a macro lens, a Olympus 40-150 pro for my daughter's sports, and a 300mm pro for wildlife. While these lenses are not "necessary" for taking family photos (my primary use case), they have opened up new areas of photography that I enjoy.

Overall, I think you will be able to get great pictures from either camera. I would recommend focusing your decision on your preferences related to tradeoffs between size and flexibility, and handling (e.g., controls and ergonomics).

Happy decision making!

PhotonBeam's gear list:PhotonBeam's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II
softmarmotte
softmarmotte Senior Member • Posts: 3,019

I restarted my photography journey in 2016 and on the advice of a pro photog friend bought the Sony RX100 mk i for a trip to the USA. i very much enjoyed using it and found it to be almost the perfect travel camera. The missus now has it and I use it when I want to travel very light

I wanted to take more wildlife and moved through a few bodies until I got some excellent advice in a camera shop and ended up with the Oly EM 1 ii

I regularly use bracketing to increase range in dark shadow/bright sunlight situations

I do not ever use SOOC JPEGs. I only shoot in raw and cannot see the point of having a capable machine and not using it to it's full potential

If AF is a big issue to you forget the Sony. It's just too fiddly to be able to use for stills in a CAF way (IMO)

Have a look at this album for Sony images and compare to this album for Oly images, although quite a few are taken with the Pana GX9 (same sensor but 200g lighter and with an inferior EVF). Worth having a look at the GX9. Much cheaper than the Oly

IQ wise there is not that much difference but obviously the Oly trumps the Sony with IBIS and lens selection

If you have any specific questions please ask

Joshua1209 wrote:

Dear friends,

I don't mind the heft of the Olympus but I am also enticed by the poatability of the RX100. Unfortunately, I can only afford one of them.

Appreciate your input.

-- hide signature --

anyone is welcome to do anything they want with my images except sell them for profit
https://www.flickr.com/photos/softmarmotte/

softmarmotte's gear list:softmarmotte's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +12 more

techie takes pics wrote:

I also have the M10.II (not selling it!), had the M1.2 and now use the M5.3.

I recognize the lack of C-AF, but I do shoot moving targets. You do not so do you really need it? Anyway, the C-AF works. It really works. Especially in combination with Pro Capture, you get good bursts which center exactly around the point of interest.

I too used my EM10 Mk2 for a year with an Oly 25f1.8. The AF struggled with low contrast areas in less than ideal lighting. The shutter speeds went way up if I needed to shoot at decent ISOs. The evening shots were usually blurry. The EM1 Mk2/ Em5mk3 have PDAF I guess.

I would go for the flexibility of the interchangeable lens system. I found the M1.2 a bit too big. The M5.3 really is pocketable with a small lens (like the 17mm f1.8).
That is what I like about changing lenses: You can have a big zoom system or a pocketable streeet&evening camera, all in one.

I am tempted to go that way as well. Especially, for the ergo and quality of the system. The lenses will hold their value as well should I decide to sell them in the future.

The OOC Jpegs are good enough. I can transfer them to my phone and always happify people with a picture. I also like the filters!

Yes. The JPEGS are good for quick shares of family photos and stuff. For the rest, I too try and shoot raw.

Thanks for your reply.

PhotonBeam wrote:

Joshua1209 wrote:

Dear friends,

I don't mind the heft of the Olympus but I am also enticed by the portability of the RX100. Unfortunately, I can only afford one of them.

Appreciate your input.

I think the answer partly depends on whether you think you will ever need/desire a lens outside the range of the Sony.

When I got my Olympus EM5 10 years ago I only had a 20mm prime lens and a 45mm prime lens. I told myself that I had no need for telephoto lenses.

Fast-forward 10 years and I have procured a macro lens, a Olympus 40-150 pro for my daughter's sports, and a 300mm pro for wildlife. While these lenses are not "necessary" for taking family photos (my primary use case), they have opened up new areas of photography that I enjoy.

I think I have gone the same way. I thought three primes would do the trick but now I am craving for the range especially during the summer when the light is good and the slow apertures don't matter too much here.

Overall, I think you will be able to get great pictures from either camera. I would recommend focusing your decision on your preferences related to tradeoffs between size and flexibility, and handling (e.g., controls and ergonomics).

I think I am gonna order both and keep the one I like and return the other. My wife wants to have a say as well. She is inclined towards the RX100 as that would stop me from buying more gear. πŸ˜…

Happy decision making!

Thanks.

softmarmotte
softmarmotte Senior Member • Posts: 3,019

just to mention of all the lenses the two that seem to struggle a bit woth af are the 25 and 75 oly 1.8s

-- hide signature --

anyone is welcome to do anything they want with my images except sell them for profit
https://www.flickr.com/photos/softmarmotte/

softmarmotte's gear list:softmarmotte's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads