Stepping back >7 years, looking at NEX-6 images

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Mel_Snyder
Mel_Snyder Forum Member • Posts: 50
Stepping back >7 years, looking at NEX-6 images

In September 2013, l left for 3 weeks with my NEX-6, acquired in February of that year - and with fingers crossed (and my trusty Nikon D7000 in my rollaboard) I began my journey into traveling with Sony. Looking back at images made back then, after moving to a A6000 and 3 Sony full-frame bodies, I am amazed at just how good those images look, even by full-frame standards.

Here's one image from the Basilica of St Stephen in Budapest, made with the 16mm f2.8 lens and wide angle adapter:

I'm amazed at just how well that early APS-C body and the lenses available back then performed on that trip.

Mel_Snyder's gear list:Mel_Snyder's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a7 II Sony a7 III Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +13 more
Nikon D7000 Sony a6000 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Joachim Wulfers
Joachim Wulfers Veteran Member • Posts: 5,195
Re: Stepping back >7 years, looking at NEX-6 images

Hi Mel, good to see you posting here. Are you back or is this just a detour? I agree that the photos shot with the old NEX bodies are not bad at all. I used to shoot with the NEX5N also using the 16/2.8 with the WAA. Here is a sample

Interior of a Pagoda in Vientiane, Lao

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Wulfers's gear list:Joachim Wulfers's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Sony a6000 Sony a6600 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Voigtlander 21mm F4 Color Skopar Pancake II +12 more
cxsparc
cxsparc Veteran Member • Posts: 3,831

They get even better when you still have the RAW files and process them with newer SW. Both personal skills in PP and the tools themselves have massively improve regarding noise reduction, shadol/highlight recovery, color accuracy and sharpening routines.

-- hide signature --

German/English Sony APSC-Blog: http://luxorphotoart.blogspot.de/

cxsparc's gear list:cxsparc's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a6600 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS +2 more
Joachim Wulfers

cxsparc wrote:

They get even better when you still have the RAW files and process them with newer SW. Both personal skills in PP and the tools themselves have massively improve regarding noise reduction, shadow/highlight recovery, color accuracy and sharpening routines.

The key word here, in my case is (lack of) "personal skills in PP work".

-- hide signature --
Fujifilm X100T Sony a6000 Sony a6600 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Voigtlander 21mm F4 Color Skopar Pancake II +12 more
RetCapt Regular Member • Posts: 494

Great to see this thread.    The impression (and I emphasize, my impression, so I am not stating this as a conclusive fact) I often get is that the use and advocacy of older equipment, and its state of technology, is to be viewed with, at best, bemused condescension along with an inference of charitable but obligatory sympathy for the  dire circumstances of the photographer trapped in the unfortunate economic necessity to somehow endeavor on with such antiquated gear.      (Note: Some editorial license may have been applied to the foregoing for dramatic effect).       But that ignores the the fact that if it was good gear then (2011 in this instance) it should still be good now.    I used my original Sony Nex 5 for this photo, with the Sony (chrome) 18-200 mm lens.    This system supplanted my full frame system that necessitated two lenses to cover this same range.    I still have that full frame system, too nice to get rid of in my opinion, and not economically necessary, but it is parked.     I have a 13X19" of this photo (the limit of my printer) on the wall and it acquits itself very well.   I have since purchased an a6300 body to accommodate a tall enough external flash to clear the 18-200mm lens barrel, and for the eye level viewfinder, although my preference is waist level shooting.    But the Nex 5 is still being used, and works like new.     I like the handy size, with the original 18-55mm lens attached, and it is still the same camera that caused me to park my full frame gear.  Going back to the 18-55mm lens on the Nex 5 allows me to use the small clip on folding flash that came with the body, so this rig allows fill flash capability.      When I go out, I take whichever rig I envision using.

GaryW Veteran Member • Posts: 9,617

Yeah, I don’t recall seeing Mel in a while!  Missed your posts

I upgraded to the 6500 a couple of years ago, but still use the Nex-6 on occasion. It gives great results and I used it for probably 6 years before changing. I used to upgrade every  3 years, but the bar has been raised so high, there’s just not a big need.  I get a bit more resolution with the 6500, IBIS (which is useful), but it’s not like “night and day”.

as for the 16mm w/UWA, I used that recently.  This is just a fun, inexpensive system.  It’s too bad that there were so many complaints- people are missing out.  Not everything needs to be super-expensive G lens or don’t bother.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6500 +10 more

DxO, for example, does not require a lot of fiddling, compared to more traditional software.  They have profiles for the 16mm that make a huge difference.  Give it try! I don’t know that I would have liked the 16mm/2.8 nearly as much without it.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6500 +10 more
Joachim Wulfers

No need for the DxO and a profile for the 16/2.8. The photo is OK without it. And besides I no longer own that lens nor the NEX5N

-- hide signature --

Joachim Wulfers wrote:

No need for the DxO and a profile for the 16/2.8. The photo is OK without it. And besides I no longer own that lens nor the NEX5N

At f8, there aren’t as many faults to correct.  Many of my interior photos are more like f4, and the lens has some issues at wider apertures.  Even so, I find it pretty sharp in the center, and good enough for most use.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

blue_skies
blue_skies Forum Pro • Posts: 12,101

Hey Mel, good to see you back here.

For me it was the Nex-5N that became my travel camera, then Nex-6, then Nex-7, A6000, and now A7 series...

I agree, many of those early pictures hold up quite nicely.

It was also a journey through poor AF, poor lens selection, playing with adapted lenses, and continuous improvements, both in camera (sensors), FW, and lenses.

Things have come a long way, in a decade (for me),

Nex-7, E16+12mm adapter, with correction

Nex-7 Panorama mode

Nex-5N, an even older image

Mel_Snyder wrote:

In September 2013, l left for 3 weeks with my NEX-6, acquired in February of that year - and with fingers crossed (and my trusty Nikon D7000 in my rollaboard) I began my journey into traveling with Sony. Looking back at images made back then, after moving to a A6000 and 3 Sony full-frame bodies, I am amazed at just how good those images look, even by full-frame standards.

Here's one image from the Basilica of St Stephen in Budapest, made with the 16mm f2.8 lens and wide angle adapter:

I'm amazed at just how well that early APS-C body and the lenses available back then performed on that trip.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a7R II Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony 75-300mm F4.5-5.6 +35 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads