Need translation from Apple language to redneck

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Bob A L Veteran Member • Posts: 3,516
Need translation from Apple language to redneck

Can someone straighten me out - when apple says optical zoom in and optical zoom out what are they meaning. Been taking pictures for 60+ years and never heard these terms before. I know what optical zoom and digital should mean, but don't know what the in or out means. Apparently been hiding behind the wrong rock.  Thanks.

PhotoFactor Veteran Member • Posts: 3,946
Re: Need translation from Apple language to redneck

"Hand us your money and enjoy your device"

PhotoFactor's gear list:PhotoFactor's gear list
Sony a6400 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS 7artisans 25mm F1.8 Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN +1 more
seeblue Senior Member • Posts: 1,767

Zoom in and out is referenced from whatever wide-angle focal length comes standard on your iPhone model. See this:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/10/14/21515158/iphone-12-pro-max-best-camera-biggest-phone

Wayne Larmon Forum Pro • Posts: 10,684

seeblue wrote:

Zoom in and out is referenced from whatever wide-angle focal length comes standard on your iPhone model. See this:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/10/14/21515158/iphone-12-pro-max-best-camera-biggest-phone

Hmm,  The phrases "zoom in" and "zoom out" aren't used on that page.  A Google search seems to indicate that "zoom in" and "zoom out" are used when explaining how to use pinch zoom on a phone.

Wayne

Jeff Peterman
MOD Jeff Peterman Forum Pro • Posts: 13,561
No true optical zoom.

I am not away of any built in phone camera with true optical zoom. Instead, they seamlessly switch from one focal length to another, using digital zoom in between. Misleading: a phone with the equivalent of 30mm and 70mm lenses can give a much cleaner image at 70mm than at 60mm. My phone shows fixed points (e.g., 1x and 5x) corresponding to each lens, but I can select either one and "zoom" to the other.

-- hide signature --

Jeff Peterman, Moderator 7D and Phone/Tablet forums.
Not a staff member, or paid employee, of DPReview.
Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
www.pbase.com/jeffp25

Jeff Peterman's gear list:Jeff Peterman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM +19 more
vv50
vv50 Contributing Member • Posts: 873
Re: No true optical zoom.

Jeff Peterman wrote:

I am not away of any built in phone camera with true optical zoom.

samsung galaxy k, horrible aperture of f3.1-6.4, comparatively speaking

One_Oldman_4U Senior Member • Posts: 1,344

Bob A L wrote:

Can someone straighten me out - when apple says optical zoom in and optical zoom out what are they meaning. Been taking pictures for 60+ years and never heard these terms before. I know what optical zoom and digital should mean, but don't know what the in or out means. Apparently been hiding behind the wrong rock. Thanks.

"Zoom In" and "Zoom Out", we use these two terminology a lot in I.S.R. business (Surveillance)

"Zoom In" - to get close to the subject.

"Zoom Out" - to make the scene wide.

Like someone mentioned, pinching and spreading the screen with two fingers to make the subject close or wide.

One_Oldman_4U's gear list:One_Oldman_4U's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-100mm f/4.5-5.6
Patrick T. Kelly Veteran Member • Posts: 4,489

Jeff Peterman wrote:

I am not away of any built in phone camera with true optical zoom. Instead, they seamlessly switch from one focal length to another, using digital zoom in between. Misleading: a phone with the equivalent of 30mm and 70mm lenses can give a much cleaner image at 70mm than at 60mm. My phone shows fixed points (e.g., 1x and 5x) corresponding to each lens, but I can select either one and "zoom" to the other.

Me, neither, but the upcoming, just announced, Sony Xperia 1 III and 5 III have a sensor with a movable component that gives two focal lengths.

"Sony has finally announced Xperia 1 III and the Xperia 5 III smartphones. The two flagship smartphones are powered by Snapdragon 888 chipset. Other highlights of the two smartphones include a variable telephoto lens that allows 2.9x and 4.4x optical zoom.

"Both, Xperia 1 III and Xperia 5 III promise fast, accurate continuous autofocus across all lenses and real-time eye autofocus. Sony has not yet revealed the pricing or availability of Xperia 1 III and Xperia 5 III."

https://www.firstpost.com/tech/news-analysis/sony-unveils-xperia-1-iii-xperia-5-iii-with-variable-telephoto-lenses-all-you-need-to-know-9532081.html

-- hide signature --

Patrick T. Kelly
Oaxaca, Mexico

Jeff Peterman
MOD Jeff Peterman Forum Pro • Posts: 13,561

The way i read that, it has a lens element that moves in/out to of the optical path. So, still not an optical zoom because two discrete focal lengths.

-- hide signature --

Jeff Peterman, Moderator 7D and Phone/Tablet forums.
Not a staff member, or paid employee, of DPReview.
Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
www.pbase.com/jeffp25

Jeff Peterman's gear list:Jeff Peterman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM +19 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads