2X Z teleconverter availability

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
mbike999
mbike999 Senior Member • Posts: 1,079
2X Z teleconverter availability

Wondering if anyone has had any luck finding the 2X tc in the US. I'm getting mixed info that it hasn't been released yet in certain locales, but it seems like a few people have theirs already.

-- hide signature --
fieldray Regular Member • Posts: 144
Re: 2X Z teleconverter availability

I got mine a couple of months ago.

fieldray's gear list:fieldray's gear list
Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Sony a7R IV Sony a9 II Nikon Z6 II +14 more
Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 21,746

fieldray wrote:

How are you finding it performs?

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than anything else.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +27 more
C h r i s R New Member • Posts: 23

It has definitely been available in the US since early January, which is when I started looking into and debating the 1.4 vs 2.0. I saw it on Amazon from a few Nikon approved vendors, but stopped tracking it when I opted for the 1.4 a few weeks ago.

I do see it’s out of stock now, but I’d guess the end of fiscal year may be a part of that and stock might go back up in April.

C h r i s R's gear list:C h r i s R's gear list
Nikon Z 20mm F1.8 Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 70-200 F2.8 VR +1 more
mmateyko Junior Member • Posts: 29

Up here in Canada I’ve never actually seen it in stock. Been looking since release.

pe1125 Regular Member • Posts: 195

I felt lucky to have scored a used Z TC-2X from Adorama two weeks ago. Perfect condition, US model. I was also able to get the 1.4 used from B&H a few weeks before that. Both were about $90 off the new prices. I'm quite happy with the performance of both of them.

Peter

fieldray Regular Member • Posts: 144

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

fieldray wrote:

How are you finding it performs?

It performs surprisingly well with the 70-200 S.  Decently sharp, background blur reasonably smooth.  Certainly a compromise, but one I will use when I don’t have a prime long lens available.  I didn’t feel this way with the F mount 70-200 E used with teleconverters, even though the E lens is just as sharp as the S lens.  I have had good luck with all three teleconverters on 300mm and 500mm primes, which leads me to believe they are well corrected.  I think the mirrorless approach of using the imaging sensor directly for focus rather than a separate system as in D cameras is making a lot of the difference.  And maybe the S teleconverters was design specifically to work well with the 70-200 S so there is a good balancing of aberrations.  Whatever the reason, I am more confident of the S combo.

fieldray's gear list:fieldray's gear list
Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Sony a7R IV Sony a9 II Nikon Z6 II +14 more
Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 21,746

fieldray wrote:

It performs surprisingly well with the 70-200 S. Decently sharp, background blur reasonably smooth. Certainly a compromise, but one I will use when I don’t have a prime long lens available. I didn’t feel this way with the F mount 70-200 E used with teleconverters, even though the E lens is just as sharp as the S lens. I have had good luck with all three teleconverters on 300mm and 500mm primes, which leads me to believe they are well corrected. I think the mirrorless approach of using the imaging sensor directly for focus rather than a separate system as in D cameras is making a lot of the difference. And maybe the S teleconverters was design specifically to work well with the 70-200 S so there is a good balancing of aberrations. Whatever the reason, I am more confident of the S combo.

Thanks 

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than anything else.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +27 more
Doug Greenberg Contributing Member • Posts: 921

They seem quite specialized at this point, i. e., only work with one lens, the 70-200 f2.8. And not with the FTZ converter. Meanwhile, I have found that the F mount teleconverters work perfectly with the FTZ and hence, with all of my Nikon telephoto lenses and also my Sigma 500mm f4 Sport.

Doug Greenberg

Doug Greenberg's gear list:Doug Greenberg's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Nikon Z7 +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads