How to get rid of activation buzzing sound? Nikon Z7II

Started Mar 24, 2021 | Questions
olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 27,793
Re: How to get rid of activation buzzing sound? Nikon Z7II

Dodi73 wrote:

PLShutterbug wrote:

I have both native Z and F lenses.

No lens: just a quiet “snick” as (presumably) the VR system initialized.

Z lens: that plus a second quiet sound, presumably the lens aperture.

FTZ: “snick-chukka-zink” - three sounds as the FTZ also initializes. The FTZ aperture lever moves up and down, which adds the extra sound.

It is quiet enough I have never thought about it other than, “hmm. So the Z cameras sound like this, I guess.” Not a criticism - did you ever hear the mirror slap of a Hasselblad 500c, or the motor of its EL variant? MUCH louder, and on every shot.

My opinion: this is not something you should worry about.

Sure, BUT

whatever camera you mention, they make noise when they focus (VR) or shoot (mirror slap). Nikon could at least avoid to make noise when pressing any button that's not focusing. It has no sense activating FTZ when I scan the environment on the viewfinder, when I am checking for an info o scrolling photos or doing anything else. This is something that can be avoided. This means disabling FTZ functions for everything else but focusing.

I disagree. It makes indeed sense to activate the VR even when you are NOT pressing the focus because it stabilizes the EVF image. In my opinion that's a good idea, but the disadvantage is of course noise and unnecessary battery use when I am not actually using the EVF or the LCD. Solution is to flip the VR button off. Another thing why Nikon implemented it this way may be that they considered (rightfully) that a constant noise is better than the constant on/off noise created when you press/release the focus button. That REALLY is more often noted by people around you who easily get annoyed by the clicking sound when the VR comes to life.

Anyway, Nikon could have a menu option to disable VR unless you press the focus, or have it as it is. No big deal in my opinion, even if even I was irritated about this when I initially discovered this implementation but I realized that hardly anyone else except me was bothered about it, in fact most people wont hear it. You hear it because it in your face, but people a meter from you (3 feet) won't really notice it unless you point it out or have a really poor and noisy lens.

Also, keep in mind that the main idea is to use S lenses, not old and noisy VR lenses. Especially if noise is a concern, like in video or in a real quiet environment.

olyflyer's gear list:olyflyer's gear list
Nikon Z7
olyflyer

Dodi73 wrote:

PLShutterbug wrote:

OK, I heard the sound in your video. My original Z7 makes a similar sound every time i turn it on or it wakes from sleep, too. I have never considered it an issue.

As others have said, it likely is two things: the VR system starting up, and perhaps the lens aperture.

Yes it's definitely FTZ, my friend, who has both native Z and non native F lenses to be used via FTZ made a quick test and the difference is remarkable and the noise is comparable to mine. Maybe Nikon should be made aware of this.

Check again please here .

I don't understand the point of having the phone so near the camera, and even so, I had to turn up the speaker volume to almost 50% to hear it. At my normal 17% setting I could not hear anything. That is the setting I use for all YouTube and other video, music or other type of sound. If his phone could hardly pick up the noise then you are really onto something which is not an issue. The noise is only a problem for those who put their ears near the camera, not for people who are a bit away from it, which your friend also discovered and that is the reason to have the phone so near.

I think Nikon knows this as well, I don't think they are stupid ignorants. They made more tests than you ever can imagine, but you can send those video clips to them just in case they have not made any tests and have no clue, which is VERY unlikely.

Nikon Z7
olyflyer

Dodi73 wrote:

PLShutterbug wrote:

Dodi73 wrote:

Sorry for my dumb question, maybe there's a simple answer but I am not sure where I should look for, or under which "term" to address it.

I am surprised that every time the Z7II comes back to active makes a buzzing sound. For a camera that should be as quiet as possible, this is annoying at best. Is there any hidden setting that avoids the camera to buzz? ( sleep delay aside which doesn't solve the problem anyway ? )

Thanks in advance.

SirHawkeye probably has it.

those who are suggesting turning off the IBIS/VR ... that is merely a diagnostic step, not a solution.

I have the original Z7 and have never heard any noise from it.

You don’t mention what type of lenses you are using or whether it happens with all ...

My suggestion:

1. Remove the lens and replace it with the body cap. Remove the FTZ if you are using it.
  2. Test turning the camera on and bringing it out of sleep.
  3. Does the camera still buzz? If not it is probably a lens. Try different lenses and see if it is consistent or only happens with one. If an F lens, isolate the FTZ to make sure that is not at fault.
  4. If it still buzzes I would call it a camera defect. Call Nikon support and see if it can be repaired under warranty.

Let us know how this turns out!

My point is in church and inside theatres it's weird that the camera makes noise even without shooting, only because you want to put your eyes to the viewfinder or touch any button. If the camera can shoot in total silence, why is a noise necessary to awaken it?

The noise can't be heard in a church and is definitely more quiet than the mechanical shutter or the mirror slap of a DSLR, so all DSLRs should be banned from churches... yet rarely there is a complain. The initialisation noise is necessary because the IBIS must unlock and the aperture must stop down to f5.6.

Nikon Z7
sirhawkeye64 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,050

Dodi73 wrote:

PLShutterbug wrote:

Dodi73 wrote:

Sorry for my dumb question, maybe there's a simple answer but I am not sure where I should look for, or under which "term" to address it.

I am surprised that every time the Z7II comes back to active makes a buzzing sound. For a camera that should be as quiet as possible, this is annoying at best. Is there any hidden setting that avoids the camera to buzz? ( sleep delay aside which doesn't solve the problem anyway ? )

Thanks in advance.

those who are suggesting turning off the IBIS/VR ... that is merely a diagnostic step, not a solution.

You don’t mention what type of lenses you are using or whether it happens with all ...

My suggestion:

1. Remove the lens and replace it with the body cap. Remove the FTZ if you are using it.
  3. Does the camera still buzz? If not it is probably a lens. Try different lenses and see if it is consistent or only happens with one. If an F lens, isolate the FTZ to make sure that is not at fault.
  4. If it still buzzes I would call it a camera defect. Call Nikon support and see if it can be repaired under warranty.

Thanks, but the thing is the camera buzzs even without any lens attached. Every time it's sleeping (say every 20 sec or whatever and the camera goes to sleep to save battery and you awakens it, there's a noise). Say you want to check something on the menu and press any button, the sensor or whatever awakens from sleep and BUZZ. A short one, yet still noisy. I'll try to record it, although I'm not sure where I could upload a short clip (say a couple of seconds). My point is in church and inside theatres it's weird that the camera makes noise even without shooting, only because you want to put your eyes to the viewfinder or touch any button. If the camera can shoot in total silence, why is a noise necessary to awaken it?

Thanks in advance, though.

I think a little "buzzing" maybe a normal, but if it's like the buzzing of an insect, it may be something wrong.

I'd have to check my Z7II to see if I hear anything but last I shot with it, I don't recall, but I was also in a busy area (on the street) so any noises from the camera were not audible.

You don't by any chance have a video clip you can share?

It may be possible, although unlikely, that one of the audio inputs/outputs could be causing interference to a point where the camera might be making some sort of noise but again, may be highly unlikely, but still possible. (and what I"m talking about is the sort of audio feedback buzz you might get from a cheaply made piece of electronics, or possibly from "static" from an audio device, especially when you turn it up loud with no sound, that sort of thing).  So the only other thing I could think of (without hearing the noise) would be something like that, maybe an RF Shield that's not properly secured in the camera.

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z7 II GoPro Hero8 Black Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 +10 more
kssharma Regular Member • Posts: 284

Dodi73 wrote:

PLShutterbug wrote:

Dodi73 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

My suggestion:

I have just created a gallery and uploaded a 90 sec clip. Every time the monitor goes off and I need to revive the camera, the camera buzzs. Not that loud, yet to me is an unwanted and unnecessary noise. that repeats every time the monitor goes off and every time I need the camera to work again.

The clip can be seen here >

https://italy74.smugmug.com/ALLTHEREST/Other/Z-Noise/n-m7nr8X/

I hope I'm not too picky and maybe it's right it's this way, to me however, this should be corrected.

PS: IBIS in this case is OFF - I've shot another 10 sec video in which you can see it for yourself.

It is My Z7II makes exactly the same buzz when I start it or try to wake it up from sleep when the stabilization is on.

It is still there when the stab is off but a lot quieter. This is with the Z 24-70 f/2.8 lens.

I'll try with my Laowa + FTZ this afternoon.

-- hide signature --
 kssharma's gear list:kssharma's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Nikon Z7 II OM-1 Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 +2 more

Dodi73 wrote:

PLShutterbug wrote:

Dodi73 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

My suggestion:

Thanks, but the thing is the camera buzzs even without any lens attached. Every time it's sleeping (say every 20 sec or whatever and the camera goes to sleep to save battery and you awakens it, there's a noise). Say you want to check something on the menu and press any button, the sensor or whatever awakens from sleep and BUZZ. A short one, yet still noisy. I'll try to record it, although I'm not sure where I could upload a short clip (say a couple of seconds). My point is in church and inside theatres it's weird that the camera makes noise even without shooting, only because you want to put your eyes to the viewfinder or touch any button. If the camera can shoot in total silence, why is a noise necessary to awaken it?

Thanks in advance, though.

So I just checked me, with the 85 1.8, as it doesn't have VR, and I think I know what you're talking about. If you put your ear to the LCD you sort of hear a slight "hum". This is normal when VR is on. But when I turned off IBIS on my Z7II it goes away and is either very hard to hear or not audible otherwise. This hum from what I can see should go away when IBIS is off, but is normal when it's on. (However it's a hum, and not so much what I would call a buzzing noise -- like that you hear from ungrounded or cheap audio outputs for example, on a computer, or audio equipment when you turn the volume up really high while not playing anything).

If yours still hums with the IBIS OFF it may be a defect where the IBIS is not turning off even though the menus or camera says it is.

As far as a slight "buzzing" (and then perhaps a slight "click") when awaking from sleep mode...that's normal, with or without IBIS on. It's the sensor powering up again and the shutter opening so the LCD/EVF can show you what the sensor is reading.

But if you're getting buzzing while composing with IBIS off, then there may be something wrong. Maybe if you have a camera shop close by, stop by and ask them and show them.

I don't have another camera with IBIS (a non-Nikon camera) so I can't say if this is normal for ML camear's with IBIS or if it's a defect or simply a characteristic of NIkon ML bodies with IBIS.

Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z7 II GoPro Hero8 Black Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 +10 more
PLShutterbug Senior Member • Posts: 1,768

Hawkeye,

He posted a video with sound yesterday. He is not complaining about constant noises but a brief noise when the camera is turned on or wakes from sleep. See my replies to him.

PLShutterbug's gear list:PLShutterbug's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR +5 more
PerA Junior Member • Posts: 34

I believe the camera parks the shutter and maybe the IBIS unit when it goes into sleep or is turned off.
I have the Z6 (verion I) and with a Z 50mm f1.8 S lens the buzz is there as well. Both when power is set from off to on or it goes from std. by to on. The same goes for power off or when camera enters std. by.
Looking into the lens from the front I can see that the aperture is put into the default std. by position when power is turned off or goes into std. by. When activating the camera again it opens the aperture completely and then goes to the aperture setting it was left in when it was rurned off or when it went into std. by. So this is one of the reasons to a buzzing sound.

The louder "clack" noise has to do with IBIS.

If IBIS (and thereby also VR if the lens has such) is turned on this "clack" noise is heard. If IBIS is off there is no "clack" noise.
I believe Nikon has implemented it in this way to ensure things are "fit for fight". If mechanical things are never fully activated there is a larger chance for it to get stuck or do weird things as things become older. Probably not much different then us human beings
Stay safe!

Dodi73 wrote:

PLShutterbug wrote:

Dodi73 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

My suggestion:

I have just created a gallery and uploaded a 90 sec clip. Every time the monitor goes off and I need to revive the camera, the camera buzzs. Not that loud, yet to me is an unwanted and unnecessary noise. that repeats every time the monitor goes off and every time I need the camera to work again.

The clip can be seen here >

https://italy74.smugmug.com/ALLTHEREST/Other/Z-Noise/n-m7nr8X/

I hope I'm not too picky and maybe it's right it's this way, to me however, this should be corrected.

PS: IBIS in this case is OFF - I've shot another 10 sec video in which you can see it for yourself.

That sound is normal. My Z7, Z7 II does it. To an extent, my Fuji makes a similar sound.

My Z6 also made that sound.

If the sound gets worse, then maybe have it looked at but that's more or less the sensor activating and the shutter opening.  Other than the short noise shown, i don't hear any buzzing, unless the "wake up" noise is what you're talking about, which is normal for these.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads