How to get rid of activation buzzing sound? Nikon Z7II

Started 10 months ago | Questions
Dodi73
Dodi73 Senior Member • Posts: 2,056
How to get rid of activation buzzing sound? Nikon Z7II

Sorry for my dumb question, maybe there's a simple answer but I am not sure where I should look for, or under which "term" to address it.

I am surprised that every time the Z7II comes back to active makes a buzzing sound. For a camera that should be as quiet as possible, this is annoying at best. Is there any hidden setting that avoids the camera to buzz? ( sleep delay aside which doesn't solve the problem anyway ? )

Thanks in advance.

-- hide signature --

All the best from northern Italy, Dino.
I'm on the NIK side of photography.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
James Grove
James Grove Senior Member • Posts: 1,264
Re: How to get rid of activation buzzing sound? Nikon Z7II

The IBIS makes a buzzing noise

Dodi73
OP Dodi73 Senior Member • Posts: 2,056

Thus deactivating / limiting the IBIS the buzz should disappear? I think I saw a menu option, have to check.

Thanks in advance.

-- hide signature --

Dodi73

I am checking the manual and only VR is mentioned, yet I guess it's the IBIS ( from the context)

I see that in some cases you might be able to hear some sound/noise but being back active doesn't seem to be among them. I am not a native English speaker, however, maybe I misunderstood something..

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Julian Contributing Member • Posts: 524

If its like my Z6 you find the IBIS setting in the i-menu by default.

Julian's gear list:Julian's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A +4 more
j_photo Veteran Member • Posts: 5,702

Dodi73 wrote:

I am checking the manual and only VR is mentioned, yet I guess it's the IBIS ( from the context)

Yes, IBIS and VR are the same thing.

j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 II
sirhawkeye64 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,267

Dodi73 wrote:

I see that in some cases you might be able to hear some sound/noise but being back active doesn't seem to be among them. I am not a native English speaker, however, maybe I misunderstood something..

Thanks

The buzzing/hissing sound is probably mostly from VR found in lenses.  I only seem to notice it when using lenses that have VR in them, not so much with my 85mm prime which doens't.

I know older F-mount VR lenses would make a buzzing/hissing sound when the VR was active or working (my 70-200 VR I was quite audible in terms of VR).

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z7 II GoPro Hero8 Black Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 +9 more
PLShutterbug Senior Member • Posts: 1,474

Dodi73 wrote:

Sorry for my dumb question, maybe there's a simple answer but I am not sure where I should look for, or under which "term" to address it.

I am surprised that every time the Z7II comes back to active makes a buzzing sound. For a camera that should be as quiet as possible, this is annoying at best. Is there any hidden setting that avoids the camera to buzz? ( sleep delay aside which doesn't solve the problem anyway ? )

Thanks in advance.

SirHawkeye probably has it.

those who are suggesting turning off the IBIS/VR ... that is merely a diagnostic step, not a solution.

I have the original Z7 and have never heard any noise from it.

You don’t mention what type of lenses you are using or whether it happens with all ...

My suggestion:

1. Remove the lens and replace it with the body cap. Remove the FTZ if you are using it.
  2. Test turning the camera on and bringing it out of sleep.
  3. Does the camera still buzz? If not it is probably a lens. Try different lenses and see if it is consistent or only happens with one. If an F lens, isolate the FTZ to make sure that is not at fault.
  4. If it still buzzes I would call it a camera defect. Call Nikon support and see if it can be repaired under warranty.

Let us know how this turns out!

PLShutterbug's gear list:PLShutterbug's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR +5 more
Dodi73

PLShutterbug wrote:

Dodi73 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

those who are suggesting turning off the IBIS/VR ... that is merely a diagnostic step, not a solution.

You don’t mention what type of lenses you are using or whether it happens with all ...

My suggestion:

1. Remove the lens and replace it with the body cap. Remove the FTZ if you are using it.
  3. Does the camera still buzz? If not it is probably a lens. Try different lenses and see if it is consistent or only happens with one. If an F lens, isolate the FTZ to make sure that is not at fault.
  4. If it still buzzes I would call it a camera defect. Call Nikon support and see if it can be repaired under warranty.

Thanks, but the thing is the camera buzzs even without any lens attached. Every time it's sleeping (say every 20 sec or whatever and the camera goes to sleep to save battery and you awakens it, there's a noise). Say you want to check something on the menu and press any button, the sensor or whatever awakens from sleep and BUZZ. A short one, yet still noisy. I'll try to record it, although I'm not sure where I could upload a short clip (say a couple of seconds). My point is in church and inside theatres it's weird that the camera makes noise even without shooting, only because you want to put your eyes to the viewfinder or touch any button. If the camera can shoot in total silence, why is a noise necessary to awaken it?

Thanks in advance, though.

-- hide signature --

Dodi73

PLShutterbug wrote:

Dodi73 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

My suggestion:

I have just created a gallery and uploaded a 90 sec clip. Every time the monitor goes off and I need to revive the camera, the camera buzzs. Not that loud, yet to me is an unwanted and unnecessary noise. that repeats every time the monitor goes off and every time I need the camera to work again.

The clip can be seen here >

https://italy74.smugmug.com/ALLTHEREST/Other/Z-Noise/n-m7nr8X/

I hope I'm not too picky and maybe it's right it's this way, to me however, this should be corrected.

PS: IBIS in this case is OFF - I've shot another 10 sec video in which you can see it for yourself.

-- hide signature --

pgl1960 Regular Member • Posts: 161

Could it be the sensor unlocking?

pgl1960's gear list:pgl1960's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +7 more
Dodi73

I don't know. Removing the FTZ it's a bit more silent yet still present.

-- hide signature --

OK, I heard the sound in your video. My original Z7 makes a similar sound every time i turn it on or it wakes from sleep, too. I have never considered it an issue.

As others have said, it likely is two things: the VR system starting up, and perhaps the lens aperture.

Nikon Z7 Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR +5 more
Dodi73

PLShutterbug wrote:

OK, I heard the sound in your video. My original Z7 makes a similar sound every time i turn it on or it wakes from sleep, too. I have never considered it an issue.

As others have said, it likely is two things: the VR system starting up, and perhaps the lens aperture.

Ok, this looks like something that has to do with the system architecture then, not a fault strictly speaking. Whatever the reason, Nikon should be already aware of this behavior.

-- hide signature --

Dodi73

PLShutterbug wrote:

On a side note, I heard a friend of mine having a Z6 and it's much quieter than this.

-- hide signature --

Dodi73

PLShutterbug wrote:

Do you have an FTZ mounted? I haven't any native Z lenses so I can't check if it has to do with it or not. Maybe you can.

-- hide signature --

Dodi73

PLShutterbug wrote:

Yes it's definitely FTZ, my friend, who has both native Z and non native F lenses to be used via FTZ made a quick test and the difference is remarkable and the noise is comparable to mine. Maybe Nikon should be made aware of this.

Check again please here .

-- hide signature --

I have both native Z and F lenses.

No lens: just a quiet “snick” as (presumably) the VR system initialized.

Z lens: that plus a second quiet sound, presumably the lens aperture.

FTZ: “snick-chukka-zink” - three sounds as the FTZ also initializes. The FTZ aperture lever moves up and down, which adds the extra sound.

It is quiet enough I have never thought about it other than, “hmm. So the Z cameras sound like this, I guess.” Not a criticism - did you ever hear the mirror slap of a Hasselblad 500c, or the motor of its EL variant? MUCH louder, and on every shot.

My opinion: this is not something you should worry about.

Dodi73

PLShutterbug wrote:

FTZ: “snick-chukka-zink” - three sounds as the FTZ also initializes. The FTZ aperture lever moves up and down, which adds the extra sound.

It is quiet enough I have never thought about it other than, “hmm. So the Z cameras sound like this, I guess.” Not a criticism - did you ever hear the mirror slap of a Hasselblad 500c, or the motor of its EL variant? MUCH louder, and on every shot.

Sure, BUT

whatever camera you mention, they make noise when they focus (VR) or shoot (mirror slap). Nikon could at least avoid to make noise when pressing any button that's not focusing. It has no sense activating FTZ when I scan the environment on the viewfinder, when I am checking for an info o scrolling photos or doing anything else. This is something that can be avoided. This means disabling FTZ functions for everything else but focusing.

-- hide signature --

1llusive
1llusive Veteran Member • Posts: 3,559

Dodi73 wrote:

PLShutterbug wrote:

Sure, BUT

whatever camera you mention, they make noise when they focus (VR) or shoot (mirror slap). Nikon could at least avoid to make noise when pressing any button that's not focusing. It has no sense activating FTZ when I scan the environment on the viewfinder, when I am checking for an info o scrolling photos or doing anything else. This is something that can be avoided. This means disabling FTZ functions for everything else but focusing.

I am not about to pretend I am a Nikon engineer or know better than they do. Your displeasure is noted but I suggest you do the same.

1llusive's gear list:1llusive's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 85mm F1.8 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads