I was reading the reviews of the LA-EA5 on Sony.com...

Started Mar 23, 2021 | Discussions
tqlla Veteran Member • Posts: 6,188
Re: How many A-mount users are waiting for new bodies with full support for LA-EA5?

ActionPhotoPassion wrote:

tqlla wrote:

ActionPhotoPassion wrote:

I really appreciate the fact that all the incoming new ML cameras from Sony will bring the good stuff with LAEA-5.

I wouldnt count on it. Since the A7Riv was released, Sony released the A7C, The A7Siii, and the A9ii.

None of which are allowed to use the screw drive functionality of the LA-EA5

You seem to be as pesimistic as Sibersitizen

It's true that I make an asomption according to the past history of the previous adapters. They all were continuing to work with the sequeled camera bodies... So I don't even see the reason why it wouldn't be the case with this last one.

A7c and A7s mark 3 aren't surprising me concerning the non functioning Minolta AF. OTOH A9 mark 2 is clearly less understandable.

Let's say that I keep faith or hope then I mean I'm limiting a lot my interaction with external human beings because of COVID-19 since months, I could use some optimism.

I wish I could be optimistic about this.   But as you can see Sony released 4 FF bodies that are newer than the A7Riv, and only one gives you the full functionality of the LA-EA5.   And that Camera is $6500 or something like that.

tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony a7R III Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG DN
Alan_S
Alan_S Senior Member • Posts: 1,863
Re: Useless reviews

QuietOC wrote:

toughluck wrote:

tbcass wrote:

tqlla wrote:

Whats the purpose of the LA-EA5 if you dont have screw drive lenses? There is already and LA-EA3, if you need to adapt SSM/SAM lenses.

I was under the impression that the LAEA5 works better than the LAEA3 even with SSM lenses.

Others said that the new aperture lever motor is substantially weaker than the old one and aperture changes are slower.

Did they fix the issue where the older LA-EA adapters had to open the aperture completely whenever changing the aperture? That definitely ruled out making aperture changes while recording video with the older adapters.

I haven't seen anything from Sony stating that the LA-EA5 performs in any way better than the LA-EA3 other than providing the screw-drive. The LA-EA3 has the same AF-C tracking ability as the LA-EA5.

I'm using LA-EA3 with a7Riv and my A-mount lenses, which are all SSM. From what I've read, and experienced with it, I have nothing to gain by purchasing the LA-EA5 unless 1) I purchase a screw drive lens (that 500/8 mirror lens is even more tempting since the adapter opens up the full range of AF points), or 2) a future firmware update opens up new bodies with the LA-EA5, as I read somewhere that Sony will no longer support updates to the 3.

-- hide signature --

- AlanS

Alan_S's gear list:Alan_S's gear list
Sony a99 II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II +4 more
QuietOC
QuietOC Veteran Member • Posts: 5,778

Alan_S wrote:

QuietOC wrote:

toughluck wrote:

tbcass wrote:

tqlla wrote:

Whats the purpose of the LA-EA5 if you dont have screw drive lenses? There is already and LA-EA3, if you need to adapt SSM/SAM lenses.

I was under the impression that the LAEA5 works better than the LAEA3 even with SSM lenses.

Others said that the new aperture lever motor is substantially weaker than the old one and aperture changes are slower.

Did they fix the issue where the older LA-EA adapters had to open the aperture completely whenever changing the aperture? That definitely ruled out making aperture changes while recording video with the older adapters.

I haven't seen anything from Sony stating that the LA-EA5 performs in any way better than the LA-EA3 other than providing the screw-drive. The LA-EA3 has the same AF-C tracking ability as the LA-EA5.

I'm using LA-EA3 with a7Riv and my A-mount lenses, which are all SSM. From what I've read, and experienced with it, I have nothing to gain by purchasing the LA-EA5 unless 1) I purchase a screw drive lens (that 500/8 mirror lens is even more tempting since the adapter opens up the full range of AF points), or 2) a future firmware update opens up new bodies with the LA-EA5, as I read somewhere that Sony will no longer support updates to the 3.

The LA-EA5 limits the Reflex to a central box of AF points. Maybe you are thinking of the Monster modified LA-EA4?

I am much happier with refracting lenses rather than the Reflex, but I didn't get try the later with on-sensor AF.

QuietOC's gear list:QuietOC's gear list
Pentax Q7 Sony a7R IV NEX-5T Sony a77 II Sony DT 16-105mm F3.5-5.6 +97 more
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 54,053

Maxxuman wrote:

tbcass wrote:

sybersitizen wrote:

Let's just say that plenty of people continue to own and use screw-drive lenses without trying to guess at a ratio.

Let's just say that where I live the good screw drive lenses are impossible to find. Other than that none of us knows the ratio of users.

So where you live online purchases aren't available? I bought a 135/1.8 ZA from KEH less than a month ago, knowing that the LAEA-5 will allow it to retain much of its value adapted (at least on some bodies, and hopefully more in the future) if the time ever arrives that I switch from A Mount.

Let me clarify. I meant it's hard to find anybody actually using A Mount screw drive lenses on any camera where I live.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 22,687

tbcass wrote:

Maxxuman wrote:

tbcass wrote:

sybersitizen wrote:

Let's just say that plenty of people continue to own and use screw-drive lenses without trying to guess at a ratio.

Let's just say that where I live the good screw drive lenses are impossible to find. Other than that none of us knows the ratio of users.

So where you live online purchases aren't available? I bought a 135/1.8 ZA from KEH less than a month ago, knowing that the LAEA-5 will allow it to retain much of its value adapted (at least on some bodies, and hopefully more in the future) if the time ever arrives that I switch from A Mount.

Let me clarify. I meant it's hard to find anybody actually using A Mount screw drive lenses on any camera where I live.

I'm not aware of other A-mount users of any kind here where I live (not that I go looking for them) ... but that has nothing to do with the world of A-mount users who exist outside of my tiny circle.

tbcass

sybersitizen wrote:

I'm not aware of other A-mount users of any kind here where I live (not that I go looking for them) ... but that has nothing to do with the world of A-mount users who exist outside of my tiny circle.

That's a good point. Us A Mounters are a rare and dying breed I fear.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
lattesweden
lattesweden Veteran Member • Posts: 5,115
Re: I was reading the reviews of the LA-EA5 on Sony.com...

AkashRana wrote:

No sure how these people ended up writing those reviews, but from little of what I read these guys are ignorant of the capabilities of LA-EA5. A friend of mine works for Sony and has played with the adapter, speaks real good of the adapter and says its the best bet for adapting A-mount lenses at the moment. With right bodies, it works good; but has those superficial limitations imposed which if lifted, would make Sony loose on the sales of native E-mount lenses. Canon has done the best job when it comes to adapting EF lenses followed by Nikon with F-mount. Sony has diliberatly left out A-mount users as the pool was much smaller that Canon and Nikon DSLR users so Canon/Nikon gave great backwards capability and a gradual path to move to mirrorless as you loose a little with adapted lenses.

Nikon only has a LA-EA3 style adapter and left the screw drive lens owners screwed. And from the latest DPR interview with Nikon it doesn't seem to be any prio to create a screw drive capable adapter either (DPR actually asked about that).

So I feel sorry for those Nikon glass owners that now have been downgraded to manual focus lenses if they want to get into mirrorless.

Regarding Canon, the R bodys knows the EF-protocol (as well as the RF-protocol) and the adapter is just a pass through of the signal and mount converter and distance spacer. Canon was the last one in when AF took off in the mid 80s and they choose electronic controlled lenses with autofocus motors and aperture motors built into the lenses already back then instead of using screw drive couplings and mechanical aperture lever from the body. This is what they win on today vs the others by either pure dumb luck or extreme skills in predicting the future (take your pick).

Regarding Canon EF-lenses, they discontinue them now in quite a high tempo and they even relaunch some of them with a built in bolted on RF-adapter like the 400 and 600 mm they announced today (those are discontinued in EF-mount). So Canon seem to be moving away from their DSRL business just after 2,5 years after introducing mirrorless and on that point one have to give Sony cred for holding out much longer. Here in Sweden, it is first now that selected A-mount bodys and lenses starts to disappear from Sonys web site.

-- hide signature --

Best regards
/Anders
----------------------------------------------------
Mirrorless, mirrorless on the wall, say which is the best camera of them all?
When I put my camera in Manual mode, why don't I get any instructions?
Some images:
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64169208
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64221482

Prognathous Veteran Member • Posts: 9,322
Horizontal vs. Vertical panoramas, A77 vs A77 MkII

tbcass wrote:

You use vertical orientation which I don't find useful for the panos I want to do. The discussion you linked to was in reference to getting the full left to right range. This discussion is relative to stitching problems. When using vertical orientation you can't get as wide left to right range as horizontal.

Maybe that's the reason for our different experience. I always shoot vertical panoramas and frequently choose Standard width and not Wide. When I do go for Wide I manage to get 180 degrees field of view (horizontal), which is more than enough for all scenarios I care about. To me the main benefit of the panorama mode is as a replacement of an  UWA lenses, and these at most provide 110 degrees field of view. I find it easy to get this width with sweep panoramas and without any stitching issues, be it with the original A77 or the MkII.

Prognathous's gear list:Prognathous's gear list
Sony a77 II Tamron SP AF 60mm F2 Di II LD IF Macro Tamron 18-270mm F3.5-6.3 Di II PZD Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Olympus Stylus 1s +13 more
tbcass
Re: Horizontal vs. Vertical panoramas, A77 vs A77 MkII

Prognathous wrote:

tbcass wrote:

You use vertical orientation which I don't find useful for the panos I want to do. The discussion you linked to was in reference to getting the full left to right range. This discussion is relative to stitching problems. When using vertical orientation you can't get as wide left to right range as horizontal.

Maybe that's the reason for our different experience. I always shoot vertical panoramas and frequently choose Standard width and not Wide. When I do go for Wide I manage to get 180 degrees field of view (horizontal), which is more than enough for all scenarios I care about. To me the main benefit of the panorama mode is as a replacement of an UWA lenses, and these at most provide 110 degrees field of view. I find it easy to get this width with sweep panoramas and without any stitching issues, be it with the original A77 or the MkII.

Apparently using vertical orientation avoids stitching issues. I like panos for the super wide panoramic view which I can't get with vertical orientation.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Maxxuman Senior Member • Posts: 1,903

tbcass wrote:

Maxxuman wrote:

tbcass wrote:

sybersitizen wrote:

So you base your assumption about which lenses people use on a camera mount that never had a lot of users and whose numbers are dwindling on people you see in person where you live? That's like saying that people don't buy green Aston Martins, because you've only seen a blue one in your neighborhood.

-- hide signature --

Barry

Maxxuman's gear list:Maxxuman's gear list
Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T*
tbcass

Maxxuman wrote:

So you base your assumption about which lenses people use on a camera mount that never had a lot of users and whose numbers are dwindling on people you see in person where you live? That's like saying that people don't buy green Aston Martins, because you've only seen a blue one in your neighborhood.

Re: Useless reviews: Sony Alpha SLR/SLT A-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review (dpreview.com)

-- hide signature --

Tom

toughluck Veteran Member • Posts: 3,802

lattesweden wrote:

AkashRana wrote:

No sure how these people ended up writing those reviews, but from little of what I read these guys are ignorant of the capabilities of LA-EA5. A friend of mine works for Sony and has played with the adapter, speaks real good of the adapter and says its the best bet for adapting A-mount lenses at the moment. With right bodies, it works good; but has those superficial limitations imposed which if lifted, would make Sony loose on the sales of native E-mount lenses. Canon has done the best job when it comes to adapting EF lenses followed by Nikon with F-mount. Sony has diliberatly left out A-mount users as the pool was much smaller that Canon and Nikon DSLR users so Canon/Nikon gave great backwards capability and a gradual path to move to mirrorless as you loose a little with adapted lenses.

Nikon only has a LA-EA3 style adapter and left the screw drive lens owners screwed. And from the latest DPR interview with Nikon it doesn't seem to be any prio to create a screw drive capable adapter either (DPR actually asked about that).

So I feel sorry for those Nikon glass owners that now have been downgraded to manual focus lenses if they want to get into mirrorless.

Regarding Canon, the R bodys knows the EF-protocol (as well as the RF-protocol) and the adapter is just a pass through of the signal and mount converter and distance spacer. Canon was the last one in when AF took off in the mid 80s and they choose electronic controlled lenses with autofocus motors and aperture motors built into the lenses already back then instead of using screw drive couplings and mechanical aperture lever from the body. This is what they win on today vs the others by either pure dumb luck or extreme skills in predicting the future (take your pick).

Three words: Minolta Vectis system. Minolta knew that they made design mistakes with A mount and tried to fix them with V mount.

V mount included electronic aperture control, autofocus motors in the lenses and even implemented focus by wire. It was weird that they decided to make the RD-3000 with the V mount, but it seemed they were in at least some way aware that V mount had some advantages.

But it also had severe shortcomings. Besides the obvious being married to APS format, the A to V adapter not only didn't have autofocus (the flange distance difference is not that large), but no automatic aperture control either. And the worst thing was that the V mount communication protocol was not as robust as it should have been, so lens aperture sometimes became stuck in open position when taking a picture or stuck in stopped down position after taking the picture.

Regarding Canon EF-lenses, they discontinue them now in quite a high tempo and they even relaunch some of them with a built in bolted on RF-adapter like the 400 and 600 mm they announced today (those are discontinued in EF-mount). So Canon seem to be moving away from their DSRL business just after 2,5 years after introducing mirrorless and on that point one have to give Sony cred for holding out much longer. Here in Sweden, it is first now that selected A-mount bodys and lenses starts to disappear from Sonys web site.

Back in January 2020, Canon stated this:

“To date we’ve launched ten critically acclaimed RF lenses, and as it’s a new system we plan to continue this, launching more RF lenses while still fully supporting the EF lens system. And of course, should the market demand it, we are ready to create new EF lenses. But for now, our focus is on RF.”

This was pretty clear, but was still interpreted in three different ways:

• The key takeaway is "fully supporting" and "we are ready to create new EF lenses." There was no need for new EF lenses then, but once they build up the RF system, they'll release the new lenses in EF mount.
  • The key takeaway is "for now." They needed to shift resources to quickly develop RF system now and will come back to EF soon.
  • They key takeaway is between the lines: "EOS EF is EOL, LOL." No more EF lenses ever and they'll discontinue them as soon as they can.

I'm sure they planned to discontinue the 400 and 600 mm lenses after 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games, but couldn't due to the pandemic. Since then, the Olympics are set to take place this year, and Canon will have new EOS R3 and EOS R1 masquerading as EOS R3 in the hands of photographers by then. No need to wait anymore, especially with Sony breathing down their neck with the excellent A1 and a selection of high end lenses.

toughluck's gear list:toughluck's gear list
Sony a99 II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro +12 more
P A Lewis New Member • Posts: 3

While the information about limited compatibility with camera bodies isn't obvious on the LAEA-5 product description, the footnotes are easily available.  My advice is that whenever you see a superscript in a product description, take the effort to find the footnote.  It almost always contains information you want to know.

ActionPhotoPassion Senior Member • Posts: 2,101

P A Lewis wrote:

While the information about limited compatibility with camera bodies isn't obvious on the LAEA-5 product description, the footnotes are easily available. My advice is that whenever you see a superscript in a product description, take the effort to find the footnote. It almost always contains information you want to know.

The Sony webpage has been updated concerning the compatibility of adapters LAEA on e-mount bodies.

It's less messy to use and understand

-- hide signature --
 ActionPhotoPassion's gear list:ActionPhotoPassion's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A58 Sony a7 Sony a77 II Sony a99 II +18 more

SQLGuy wrote:

... the A1 is the first E mount body on which the LA-EA4 does not offer autofocus.

Just seeking clarity on this bit of info. Is it a confirmed thing or is it just a screw-up with Sony's convoluted compatibility matrix?

lattesweden

sybersitizen wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

... the A1 is the first E mount body on which the LA-EA4 does not offer autofocus.

Just seeking clarity on this bit of info. Is it a confirmed thing or is it just a screw-up with Sony's convoluted compatibility matrix?

The LA-EA4 needs some lines of software code in the body firmware to work. The most visible piece is found in the menu system where one can do the typical for DSLR/SLT micro focus adjust, but I would guess there are also from the user hidden code that handles the communication with the adapter since it takes over the AF from the body with its own built in AF-module. And on newer bodys they don't implement this code anymore. But on those bodys the LA-EA5 works which gives a better experience.

-- hide signature --

Best regards
/Anders
Some images:
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65325637
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65120847
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65121520
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65130731

QuietOC

QuietOC wrote:

https://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/2040/v1/en/contents/TP0002902751.html

Yep, that's good confirmation. So does this seem like a single-body anomaly or a signal that LA-EA4 adapters might be unable to autofocus screw-drive A-mount lenses on any future E-mount bodies?

QuietOC

sybersitizen wrote:

QuietOC wrote:

Yep, that's good confirmation. So does this seem like a single-body anomaly or a signal that LA-EA4 adapters might be unable to autofocus screw-drive A-mount lenses on any future E-mount bodies?

You must have missed the other thread:

According to Sony there is no AF at all with either SLT adapter on the A1, A7S3, FX3, FX6, or FX9. The A7C seems to be the last camera to support AF with those adapters.

lattesweden

sybersitizen wrote:

QuietOC wrote:

I checked around a little in Sony Help Guides:

On FF bodys the LA-EA5 works on the A7RIV and on the A1 with screw drive lenses.

The LA-EA4 works on the A7RIV with screw drive lenses.

The LA-EA4 does not work on the A7SIII nor on the A1 with screw drive lenses.

The LA-EA4 works on basically all "old menu" bodys with screw drive lenses.

My own guess is that Sony removed (didn't port) support for the LA-EA4 to the new menu system firmware.

On bodys with the old menu system Sony added support for the LA-EA5 only on the A7RIV (and the A6600 APS-C body).

Why that is we can only speculate, but my guess is that they from now on on bodys with the new menu system will support the LA-EA5 but not the LA-EA4.
(the A7SIII don't at the moment support the LA-EA5 so that is an anomaly).

Since Sony A-mount bodys at the last years where made up on two "premium" bodys, the A77II for APS-C and the A99II for FF I guess that Sony thinks that the A6600 and A7RIV would make a reasonable upgrade for those who wants to go over to E-mount and keep A-mount compatibility. (Yes I know that they also had the budget A68 body on A-mount and for that there is no E-mount equivalent except the more premium A6600).

-- hide signature --

Best regards
/Anders
Some images:
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65325637
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65120847
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65121520
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65130731

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads