I was reading the reviews of the LA-EA5 on Sony.com...

Started Mar 23, 2021 | Discussions
ActionPhotoPassion Senior Member • Posts: 2,109
Re: Useless reviews

To be fair it also depends on the use of the camera.

You definitely need the AF so yes you're concerned.

I don't use that much AF nowadays so I could go whatever manufacturer to use my lenses: They will give me the same results on whatever the body and brand.

It's interesting to see that a lot of Sony ML users are only using manual lenses. I don't even understand why they keep in mind sticking to Sony ML for instance as they could use manual focus with whatever camera brand, this attachment to Sony doesn't make any sense to me in this very specific case.

 ActionPhotoPassion's gear list:ActionPhotoPassion's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A58 Sony a77 II Sony a99 II Sony a7 +18 more
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 54,099
Re: OT: Sweep Pano issues?

Ralf B wrote:

tbcass wrote:

The sweep panorama feature of the A77ii, which I owned for 4 years, sucks because of stitching problems. I gave up trying. My A99ii suits me fine (sweep sucks with this too) and has for over 4 years but if it breaks I will buy an A7riv with the adapter. Sony hasn't had a camera that does good panos since the A77/A65.

The only times my a55 and a99 show sweep pano issues is when there is dirt on the imaging sensor which causes the stitching algorithm to go bonkers.
Cheers,
Ralf

My A55, A65, A77 and RX100M1 were/are great at panos. Starting with the A77ii things went downhill.

-- hide signature --

Tom

 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 54,099
Re: How many A-mount users are waiting for new bodies with full support for LA-EA5?

Prognathous wrote:

tbcass wrote:

The sweep panorama feature of the A77ii, which I owned for 4 years, sucks because of stitching problems. I gave up trying.

I own the MkII and owned the original haven't had issues with either. I am though very specificabout technique. I feel like we've had this discussion

You use vertical orientation which I don't find useful for the panos I want to do. The discussion you linked to was in reference to getting the full left to right range. This discussion is relative to stitching problems. When using vertical orientation you can't get as wide left to right range as horizontal.

-- hide signature --

Tom

 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 54,099
Re: How many A-mount users are waiting for new bodies with full support for LA-EA5?

sybersitizen wrote:

Prognathous wrote:

... The A6600 is a few hundred dollars above what I'm willing to pay, but it has some some annoying downgrades compared to my A77 MkII... The tilting built-in flash is also a surprisingly useful feature, despite its low GN (higher ISO to the rescue).

Are you talking about the fact that the A77/A77II pop-up can be pointed down from horizontal? I guess that's nice, but it usually ends up throwing light on the lens instead of on the subject. I'd prefer that it could be pointed up, close to vertical, for bouncing.

I agree here. Pointing the flash down isn't useful to me.

-- hide signature --

Tom

 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
tqlla Veteran Member • Posts: 6,188
Re: How many A-mount users are waiting for new bodies with full support for LA-EA5?
1

ActionPhotoPassion wrote:

I really appreciate the fact that all the incoming new ML cameras from Sony will bring the good stuff with LAEA-5.

I wouldnt count on it.  Since the A7Riv was released, Sony released the A7C, The A7Siii, and the A9ii.

None of which are allowed to use the screw drive functionality of the LA-EA5

 tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony a7R III Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG DN Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T*
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 54,099
Re: Useless reviews

sybersitizen wrote:

Let's just say that plenty of people continue to own and use screw-drive lenses without trying to guess at a ratio.

Let's just say that where I live the good screw drive lenses are impossible to find. Other than that none of us knows the ratio of users.

-- hide signature --

Tom

 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 54,099
Re: How many A-mount users are waiting for new bodies with full support for LA-EA5?

ActionPhotoPassion wrote:

I deeply enjoyed my last shooting experience with my D7D, so that opened my eye that at the moment the EVF are not superior in terms of shooting experience.

In your opinion.

-- hide signature --

Tom

 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 22,716
Re: How many A-mount users are waiting for new bodies with full support for LA-EA5?

ActionPhotoPassion wrote:

I really appreciate the fact that all the incoming new ML cameras from Sony will bring the good stuff with LAEA-5.

I don't think that has been established as a fact.

QuietOC
QuietOC Veteran Member • Posts: 5,785
Re: Useless reviews
1

tqlla wrote:

tbcass wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/converters-mount-adapters/la-ea5/buy/laea5

13 reviews, less than 2 stars average.

Maybe if more people write, or upvote, reviews complaining about the lack of wider support for screw drive lenses, Sony might get to hear that... since it's on their site.

Because it was mostly people whining who don't own the adapter but were complaining it won't work with their screw drive lenses on the camera they own. I want reviews tested on non screw drive lenses on cameras that Sony says it will work on. The few people who tested it properly gave it high marks.

Here's an example, 1 star.

"The main feature is the motor. But it doesn't work with most cameras (A7M3, o A7-C for that matter). It's ridiculous, for most people this adapter is useless."

Well I suspect that "most people" don't own any screw drive lens (me for example). I am interested in how well it works with newer A mount lenses with a built in motor both Sony and 3rd party. If my A99ii ever dies I need to know how my lenses will work on a camera like the A7rIV.

Whats the purpose of the LA-EA5 if you dont have screw drive lenses? There is already and LA-EA3, if you need to adapt SSM/SAM lenses.

The LA-EA3 has an annoying foot that sticks out lower than the bottom of the camera.

 QuietOC's gear list:QuietOC's gear list
Pentax Q7 Sony a7R IV NEX-5T Sony a77 II Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +97 more
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 54,099
Re: Useless reviews

Donbont wrote:

tbcass wrote:

Donbont wrote:

On A7R4 works with Sony 24-70mm and Sigma 50mm F1.4 Art (after update at Sigma Service center). I see no reason why the A5 adapter wouldn't work with other SSM lenses. Of course it does work with the Minolta and Sony screw drive lenses as per its' specs.

Was that a firmware update? If so I have a docking station that came with my Sigma 24-105 f4 ART for that purpose.

My understanding from discussion with the Sigma rep was that the update needed for my 50mm Art lens could NOT be done via the dock.

I imagine the dock is not compatible with all the lenses.

-- hide signature --

Tom

 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 54,099
Re: Useless reviews

tqlla wrote:

Whats the purpose of the LA-EA5 if you dont have screw drive lenses? There is already and LA-EA3, if you need to adapt SSM/SAM lenses.

I was under the impression that the LAEA5 works better than the LAEA3 even with SSM lenses.

-- hide signature --

Tom

 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 54,099
Re: Useless reviews

ActionPhotoPassion wrote:

To be fair it also depends on the use of the camera.

You definitely need the AF so yes you're concerned.

My point was you should rate the adapter when used for it's intended purpose. Sony clearly states which cameras are compatible so the complaints, which are legitimate, should be with Sony Corp not the adapter. It's entirely possible that the issues have to do with the camera hardware/firmware and not the adapter.

-- hide signature --

Tom

 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
tqlla Veteran Member • Posts: 6,188
Re: Useless reviews
1

tbcass wrote:

ActionPhotoPassion wrote:

To be fair it also depends on the use of the camera.

You definitely need the AF so yes you're concerned.

My point was you should rate the adapter when used for it's intended purpose. Sony clearly states which cameras are compatible so the complaints, which are legitimate, should be with Sony Corp not the adapter. It's entirely possible that the issues have to do with the camera hardware/firmware and not the adapter.

Its not clear at all which Camera's are supported with the LA-EA5's screw drive functionality. Its nebulous on the LA-EA5 page. Its not even in the fine print at the bottom of the page, the info is 4 different pages away. Also I dont see any of the video limitations listed on the webpage.

WE know, because we talk about it. A lot of people just see that it has a screw drive adapter and assume it will work with current model A7/A9 cameras, because it doesnt say otherwise. And then it turns out it only works with 1 of those camera's.

And as I stated earlier, several cameras(A7Siii, A7C, A9ii) released after the A7Riv are not supported. The negative reviews are well deserved.

 tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony a7R III Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG DN Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T*
ActionPhotoPassion Senior Member • Posts: 2,109
Re: How many A-mount users are waiting for new bodies with full support for LA-EA5?

tbcass wrote:

ActionPhotoPassion wrote:

I deeply enjoyed my last shooting experience with my D7D, so that opened my eye that at the moment the EVF are not superior in terms of shooting experience.

In your opinion.

Yeah I rephrase that:

I found, under a sunny day, that shooting with the pentaprism OVF  was more exquisite and enjoyable than with my 2 millions dots EVF.

Now if it needs me to have an EVF of 9 millions dots to reach the same experience than through an OVF, that's fine with me. I can wait.

 ActionPhotoPassion's gear list:ActionPhotoPassion's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A58 Sony a77 II Sony a99 II Sony a7 +18 more
ActionPhotoPassion Senior Member • Posts: 2,109
Re: How many A-mount users are waiting for new bodies with full support for LA-EA5?

tqlla wrote:

ActionPhotoPassion wrote:

I really appreciate the fact that all the incoming new ML cameras from Sony will bring the good stuff with LAEA-5.

I wouldnt count on it. Since the A7Riv was released, Sony released the A7C, The A7Siii, and the A9ii.

None of which are allowed to use the screw drive functionality of the LA-EA5

You seem to be as pesimistic as Sibersitizen

It's true that I make an asomption according to the past history of the previous adapters. They all were continuing to work with the sequeled camera bodies... So I don't even see the reason why it wouldn't be the case with this last one.

A7c and A7s mark 3 aren't surprising me concerning the non functioning Minolta AF. OTOH A9 mark 2 is clearly less understandable.

Let's say that I keep faith or hope then      I mean I'm limiting a lot my interaction with external human beings because of COVID-19 since months, I could use some optimism.

 ActionPhotoPassion's gear list:ActionPhotoPassion's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A58 Sony a77 II Sony a99 II Sony a7 +18 more
Maxxuman Senior Member • Posts: 1,903
Re: Useless reviews

tbcass wrote:

sybersitizen wrote:

Let's just say that plenty of people continue to own and use screw-drive lenses without trying to guess at a ratio.

Let's just say that where I live the good screw drive lenses are impossible to find. Other than that none of us knows the ratio of users.

So where you live online purchases aren't available? I bought a 135/1.8 ZA from KEH less than a month ago, knowing that the LAEA-5 will allow it to retain much of its value adapted (at least on some bodies, and hopefully more in the future) if the time ever arrives that I switch from A Mount.

-- hide signature --

Barry

 Maxxuman's gear list:Maxxuman's gear list
Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T*
toughluck Veteran Member • Posts: 3,807
Re: Useless reviews

tbcass wrote:

Donbont wrote:

tbcass wrote:

Donbont wrote:

On A7R4 works with Sony 24-70mm and Sigma 50mm F1.4 Art (after update at Sigma Service center). I see no reason why the A5 adapter wouldn't work with other SSM lenses. Of course it does work with the Minolta and Sony screw drive lenses as per its' specs.

Was that a firmware update? If so I have a docking station that came with my Sigma 24-105 f4 ART for that purpose.

My understanding from discussion with the Sigma rep was that the update needed for my 50mm Art lens could NOT be done via the dock.

I imagine the dock is not compatible with all the lenses.

The dock is compatible with all Art, Contemporary and Sports lenses, but it was that particular upgrade that could not be loaded with the dock. Maybe there was a bigger change than just firmware, maybe a chip inside needed an upgrade too.

 toughluck's gear list:toughluck's gear list
Sony a99 II Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro +12 more
toughluck Veteran Member • Posts: 3,807
Re: Useless reviews

tbcass wrote:

tqlla wrote:

Whats the purpose of the LA-EA5 if you dont have screw drive lenses? There is already and LA-EA3, if you need to adapt SSM/SAM lenses.

I was under the impression that the LAEA5 works better than the LAEA3 even with SSM lenses.

Others said that the new aperture lever motor is substantially weaker than the old one and aperture changes are slower.

 toughluck's gear list:toughluck's gear list
Sony a99 II Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro +12 more
QuietOC
QuietOC Veteran Member • Posts: 5,785
Re: Useless reviews

toughluck wrote:

tbcass wrote:

tqlla wrote:

Whats the purpose of the LA-EA5 if you dont have screw drive lenses? There is already and LA-EA3, if you need to adapt SSM/SAM lenses.

I was under the impression that the LAEA5 works better than the LAEA3 even with SSM lenses.

Others said that the new aperture lever motor is substantially weaker than the old one and aperture changes are slower.

Did they fix the issue where the older LA-EA adapters had to open the aperture completely whenever changing the aperture? That definitely ruled out making aperture changes while recording video with the older adapters.

I haven't seen anything from Sony stating that the LA-EA5 performs in any way better than the LA-EA3 other than providing the screw-drive. The LA-EA3 has the same AF-C tracking ability as the LA-EA5.

 QuietOC's gear list:QuietOC's gear list
Pentax Q7 Sony a7R IV NEX-5T Sony a77 II Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +97 more
TheVoid Senior Member • Posts: 1,794
Re: How many A-mount users are waiting for new bodies with full support for LA-EA5?

Hi Tom,

I can tell you the 70-400 SSM G2 works quite well with the LA-EA5 on an A7Riv. And the fit is tight and secure, so other than the extra inch or so of length I hardly notice the difference. I'm interested in the e-mount 100-400 option only because it's reviewed to be a bit sharper on the 60mp body. But speed and accuracy of focusing with this legacy G series are just fine until my budget allows for newer tech!

-- hide signature --

Jeremy

 TheVoid's gear list:TheVoid's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Samyang AF 35mm F2.8 FE Samyang AF 75mm F1.8 FE +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads