I was reading the reviews of the LA-EA5 on Sony.com...

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Maxxuman Senior Member • Posts: 1,900
Re: Useless reviews
3

tbcass wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/converters-mount-adapters/la-ea5/buy/laea5

13 reviews, less than 2 stars average.

Maybe if more people write, or upvote, reviews complaining about the lack of wider support for screw drive lenses, Sony might get to hear that... since it's on their site.

Because it was mostly people whining who don't own the adapter but were complaining it won't work with their screw drive lenses on the camera they own. I want reviews tested on non screw drive lenses on cameras that Sony says it will work on. The few people who tested it properly gave it high marks.

Here's an example, 1 star.

"The main feature is the motor. But it doesn't work with most cameras (A7M3, o A7-C for that matter). It's ridiculous, for most people this adapter is useless."

Well I suspect that "most people" don't own any screw drive lens (me for example). I am interested in how well it works with newer A mount lenses with a built in motor both Sony and 3rd party. If my A99ii ever dies I need to know how my lenses will work on a camera like the A7rIV.

I own plenty of screw drive lenses. 135/1.8 ZA Sonnar, Minolta 200/2.8, Minolta 85/1.4 among them. Plenty of people own screw drive lenses that they may be interested to adapt in the future. I doubt "most people" only bought the more expensive motor drive ones. In any case, why make an adapter that only works with screw drive lenses on the 3 most expensive bodies?

-- hide signature --

Barry

 Maxxuman's gear list:Maxxuman's gear list
Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T*
toughluck Veteran Member • Posts: 3,767
Re: Useless reviews

Maxxuman wrote:

tbcass wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/converters-mount-adapters/la-ea5/buy/laea5

13 reviews, less than 2 stars average.

Maybe if more people write, or upvote, reviews complaining about the lack of wider support for screw drive lenses, Sony might get to hear that... since it's on their site.

Because it was mostly people whining who don't own the adapter but were complaining it won't work with their screw drive lenses on the camera they own. I want reviews tested on non screw drive lenses on cameras that Sony says it will work on. The few people who tested it properly gave it high marks.

Here's an example, 1 star.

"The main feature is the motor. But it doesn't work with most cameras (A7M3, o A7-C for that matter). It's ridiculous, for most people this adapter is useless."

Well I suspect that "most people" don't own any screw drive lens (me for example). I am interested in how well it works with newer A mount lenses with a built in motor both Sony and 3rd party. If my A99ii ever dies I need to know how my lenses will work on a camera like the A7rIV.

I own plenty of screw drive lenses. 135/1.8 ZA Sonnar, Minolta 200/2.8, Minolta 85/1.4 among them. Plenty of people own screw drive lenses that they may be interested to adapt in the future. I doubt "most people" only bought the more expensive motor drive ones. In any case, why make an adapter that only works with screw drive lenses on the 3 most expensive bodies?

To be honest, if 3rd party motorized lens performance is as good as Sony's own and better than screw drive lenses, I'd actually trade up 85/1.4 ZA for Tamron 85/1.8 SP USD or Sigma 85/1.4 EX HSM and save money. 135/1.8 is more tricky to replace because the screw drive Zeiss is already great and much cheaper than Sigma and especially Sony.

 toughluck's gear list:toughluck's gear list
Sony a99 II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro +11 more
tqlla Veteran Member • Posts: 6,173
Re: Useless reviews
4

tbcass wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/converters-mount-adapters/la-ea5/buy/laea5

13 reviews, less than 2 stars average.

Maybe if more people write, or upvote, reviews complaining about the lack of wider support for screw drive lenses, Sony might get to hear that... since it's on their site.

Because it was mostly people whining who don't own the adapter but were complaining it won't work with their screw drive lenses on the camera they own. I want reviews tested on non screw drive lenses on cameras that Sony says it will work on. The few people who tested it properly gave it high marks.

Here's an example, 1 star.

"The main feature is the motor. But it doesn't work with most cameras (A7M3, o A7-C for that matter). It's ridiculous, for most people this adapter is useless."

Well I suspect that "most people" don't own any screw drive lens (me for example). I am interested in how well it works with newer A mount lenses with a built in motor both Sony and 3rd party. If my A99ii ever dies I need to know how my lenses will work on a camera like the A7rIV.

Whats the purpose of the LA-EA5 if you dont have screw drive lenses? There is already and LA-EA3, if you need to adapt SSM/SAM lenses.

The LA-EA5 is just a huge letdown by Sony. Why cant they just release a good A-mount product without imposing nonsense limits on it? They finally make an adapter for us that can use their screw drive lenses and limit it to Two full frame bodies(A7R4,  A1)

Even bodies that came after the A7Riv are excluded, such as the A7Siii, the A7C and the A9ii. I mean come on. Its bull crap.

 tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony a7R III Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG DN
Maxxuman Senior Member • Posts: 1,900
Re: Useless reviews
1

toughluck wrote:

Maxxuman wrote:

tbcass wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/converters-mount-adapters/la-ea5/buy/laea5

13 reviews, less than 2 stars average.

Maybe if more people write, or upvote, reviews complaining about the lack of wider support for screw drive lenses, Sony might get to hear that... since it's on their site.

Because it was mostly people whining who don't own the adapter but were complaining it won't work with their screw drive lenses on the camera they own. I want reviews tested on non screw drive lenses on cameras that Sony says it will work on. The few people who tested it properly gave it high marks.

Here's an example, 1 star.

"The main feature is the motor. But it doesn't work with most cameras (A7M3, o A7-C for that matter). It's ridiculous, for most people this adapter is useless."

Well I suspect that "most people" don't own any screw drive lens (me for example). I am interested in how well it works with newer A mount lenses with a built in motor both Sony and 3rd party. If my A99ii ever dies I need to know how my lenses will work on a camera like the A7rIV.

I own plenty of screw drive lenses. 135/1.8 ZA Sonnar, Minolta 200/2.8, Minolta 85/1.4 among them. Plenty of people own screw drive lenses that they may be interested to adapt in the future. I doubt "most people" only bought the more expensive motor drive ones. In any case, why make an adapter that only works with screw drive lenses on the 3 most expensive bodies?

To be honest, if 3rd party motorized lens performance is as good as Sony's own and better than screw drive lenses, I'd actually trade up 85/1.4 ZA for Tamron 85/1.8 SP USD or Sigma 85/1.4 EX HSM and save money. 135/1.8 is more tricky to replace because the screw drive Zeiss is already great and much cheaper than Sigma and especially Sony.

I'm not interested in switching while my A99ii and A99 are happily working away with the lenses I have. But you've neglected to mention the Minolta 200/2.8, which is another superb lens that E Mount has no equivalent for. I'll see what sort of support for my lenses is available whenever I come to contemplate a switch. If it hasn't improved I'll be looking just as closely at other brands.

-- hide signature --

Barry

 Maxxuman's gear list:Maxxuman's gear list
Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T*
toughluck Veteran Member • Posts: 3,767
Re: Useless reviews

Maxxuman wrote:

toughluck wrote:

Maxxuman wrote:

tbcass wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/converters-mount-adapters/la-ea5/buy/laea5

13 reviews, less than 2 stars average.

Maybe if more people write, or upvote, reviews complaining about the lack of wider support for screw drive lenses, Sony might get to hear that... since it's on their site.

Because it was mostly people whining who don't own the adapter but were complaining it won't work with their screw drive lenses on the camera they own. I want reviews tested on non screw drive lenses on cameras that Sony says it will work on. The few people who tested it properly gave it high marks.

Here's an example, 1 star.

"The main feature is the motor. But it doesn't work with most cameras (A7M3, o A7-C for that matter). It's ridiculous, for most people this adapter is useless."

Well I suspect that "most people" don't own any screw drive lens (me for example). I am interested in how well it works with newer A mount lenses with a built in motor both Sony and 3rd party. If my A99ii ever dies I need to know how my lenses will work on a camera like the A7rIV.

I own plenty of screw drive lenses. 135/1.8 ZA Sonnar, Minolta 200/2.8, Minolta 85/1.4 among them. Plenty of people own screw drive lenses that they may be interested to adapt in the future. I doubt "most people" only bought the more expensive motor drive ones. In any case, why make an adapter that only works with screw drive lenses on the 3 most expensive bodies?

To be honest, if 3rd party motorized lens performance is as good as Sony's own and better than screw drive lenses, I'd actually trade up 85/1.4 ZA for Tamron 85/1.8 SP USD or Sigma 85/1.4 EX HSM and save money. 135/1.8 is more tricky to replace because the screw drive Zeiss is already great and much cheaper than Sigma and especially Sony.

I'm not interested in switching while my A99ii and A99 are happily working away with the lenses I have. But you've neglected to mention the Minolta 200/2.8, which is another superb lens that E Mount has no equivalent for. I'll see what sort of support for my lenses is available whenever I come to contemplate a switch. If it hasn't improved I'll be looking just as closely at other brands.

Sorry, my bad. Of course the 200/2.8 is a very good lens to be adapted, as is 80-200 and some others.

The thing is, the only three screw drive lenses I own that I'd like to adapt are 50 macro, 85 ZA and 135 ZA. Of these, the 85 is the only lens that is replaceable in the sense that Tamron and Sigma motorized lenses can be bought for as much (or as little) as I can get for the 85 ZA, and even Sony's own 85/1.8 FE is available for less.

 toughluck's gear list:toughluck's gear list
Sony a99 II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro +11 more
Donbont New Member • Posts: 19
Re: Useless reviews

tbcass wrote:

Donbont wrote:

On A7R4 works with Sony 24-70mm and Sigma 50mm F1.4 Art (after update at Sigma Service center). I see no reason why the A5 adapter wouldn't work with other SSM lenses. Of course it does work with the Minolta and Sony screw drive lenses as per its' specs.

Was that a firmware update? If so I have a docking station that came with my Sigma 24-105 f4 ART for that purpose.

My understanding from discussion with the Sigma rep was that the update needed for my 50mm Art lens could NOT be done via the dock.

Prognathous Veteran Member • Posts: 9,322
Re: How many A-mount users are waiting for new bodies with full support for LA-EA5?
1

Donbont wrote:
I'm still not clear on how you plan to fund your proposed move to a new system.

If it comes to this I'll sell what I have, invest another ~1K USD and only get lenses that are essential for my needs. I'm not aiming to replicate the same lenses and gear I have today. Having a camera and 2 or 3 lenses that focus accurately is a lot more useful than one with 8 lenses that frequently get it wrong.

 Prognathous's gear list:Prognathous's gear list
Sony a77 II Tamron SP AF 60mm F2 Di II LD IF Macro Tamron 18-270mm F3.5-6.3 Di II PZD Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Olympus Stylus 1s +13 more
Prognathous Veteran Member • Posts: 9,322
Re: How many A-mount users are waiting for new bodies with full support for LA-EA5?
2

tbcass wrote:

The sweep panorama feature of the A77ii, which I owned for 4 years, sucks because of stitching problems. I gave up trying.

I own the MkII and owned the original haven't had issues with either. I am though very specific about technique. I feel like we've had this discussion

 Prognathous's gear list:Prognathous's gear list
Sony a77 II Tamron SP AF 60mm F2 Di II LD IF Macro Tamron 18-270mm F3.5-6.3 Di II PZD Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Olympus Stylus 1s +13 more
tqlla Veteran Member • Posts: 6,173
Re: How many A-mount users are waiting for new bodies with full support for LA-EA5?

Prognathous wrote:

Donbont wrote:
I'm still not clear on how you plan to fund your proposed move to a new system.

If it comes to this I'll sell what I have, invest another ~1K USD and only get lenses that are essential for my needs. I'm not aiming to replicate the same lenses and gear I have today. Having a camera and 2 or 3 lenses that focus accurately is a lot more useful than one with 8 lenses that frequently get it wrong.

Since you dont have many FF A-mount lenses, IMO you are not anchored to Sony.

Prior to the pandemic, there were crazy deals on refurb EOS-R bundles. $1700 for the EOS R+24-105mm F4 lens.  I might have gone with that Canon, if I didnt have a bunch of A-mount lenses.

Currently.... I guess inflation? Prices on stuff have been going through the rough. I just bought a toy Optimus Prime for $700.

 tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony a7R III Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG DN
QuietOC
QuietOC Veteran Member • Posts: 5,439
Re: Useless reviews

toughluck wrote:

Maxxuman wrote:

tbcass wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/converters-mount-adapters/la-ea5/buy/laea5

13 reviews, less than 2 stars average.

Maybe if more people write, or upvote, reviews complaining about the lack of wider support for screw drive lenses, Sony might get to hear that... since it's on their site.

Because it was mostly people whining who don't own the adapter but were complaining it won't work with their screw drive lenses on the camera they own. I want reviews tested on non screw drive lenses on cameras that Sony says it will work on. The few people who tested it properly gave it high marks.

Here's an example, 1 star.

"The main feature is the motor. But it doesn't work with most cameras (A7M3, o A7-C for that matter). It's ridiculous, for most people this adapter is useless."

Well I suspect that "most people" don't own any screw drive lens (me for example). I am interested in how well it works with newer A mount lenses with a built in motor both Sony and 3rd party. If my A99ii ever dies I need to know how my lenses will work on a camera like the A7rIV.

I own plenty of screw drive lenses. 135/1.8 ZA Sonnar, Minolta 200/2.8, Minolta 85/1.4 among them. Plenty of people own screw drive lenses that they may be interested to adapt in the future. I doubt "most people" only bought the more expensive motor drive ones. In any case, why make an adapter that only works with screw drive lenses on the 3 most expensive bodies?

To be honest, if 3rd party motorized lens performance is as good as Sony's own and better than screw drive lenses, I'd actually trade up 85/1.4 ZA for Tamron 85/1.8 SP USD or Sigma 85/1.4 EX HSM and save money. 135/1.8 is more tricky to replace because the screw drive Zeiss is already great and much cheaper than Sigma and especially Sony.

Third-party A-mount lenses use some form of first generation SSM/SAM. I have and like the Tamron SP 85 F1.8 USD, but it doesn't focus quickly or support the SSM II updates.

In my experience Sigma HSM A-mount implementation is worse than Tamron USD.

Screw driven lenses on the LA-EA5 + Alpha 1 actually support faster frame rate AF-C than first generation first-party SSM/SAM.

 QuietOC's gear list:QuietOC's gear list
Pentax Q7 Sony a7R IV NEX-5T Sony a77 II Sony DT 16-105mm F3.5-5.6 +93 more
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 52,676
Re: Useless reviews

Maxxuman wrote:

tbcass wrote:

Because it was mostly people whining who don't own the adapter but were complaining it won't work with their screw drive lenses on the camera they own. I want reviews tested on non screw drive lenses on cameras that Sony says it will work on. The few people who tested it properly gave it high marks.

Here's an example, 1 star.

"The main feature is the motor. But it doesn't work with most cameras (A7M3, o A7-C for that matter). It's ridiculous, for most people this adapter is useless."

Well I suspect that "most people" don't own any screw drive lens (me for example). I am interested in how well it works with newer A mount lenses with a built in motor both Sony and 3rd party. If my A99ii ever dies I need to know how my lenses will work on a camera like the A7rIV.

I own plenty of screw drive lenses. 135/1.8 ZA Sonnar, Minolta 200/2.8, Minolta 85/1.4 among them. Plenty of people own screw drive lenses that they may be interested to adapt in the future. I doubt "most people" only bought the more expensive motor drive ones. In any case, why make an adapter that only works with screw drive lenses on the 3 most expensive bodies?

When I say "most people" I'm including all the lenses that were sold after Sony bought out Minolta. For that reason I suspect SSM and SAM lenses easily outnumber screw drive lenses.

-- hide signature --

Tom

 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 52,676
Re: Useless reviews

Maxxuman wrote:

I'm not interested in switching while my A99ii and A99 are happily working away with the lenses I have. But you've neglected to mention the Minolta 200/2.8, which is another superb lens that E Mount has no equivalent for.

How does that lens compare to the excellent 70-200/f2.8 G.

-- hide signature --

Tom

 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 21,755
Re: Useless reviews
2

tbcass wrote:

Maxxuman wrote:

tbcass wrote:

Because it was mostly people whining who don't own the adapter but were complaining it won't work with their screw drive lenses on the camera they own. I want reviews tested on non screw drive lenses on cameras that Sony says it will work on. The few people who tested it properly gave it high marks.

Here's an example, 1 star.

"The main feature is the motor. But it doesn't work with most cameras (A7M3, o A7-C for that matter). It's ridiculous, for most people this adapter is useless."

Well I suspect that "most people" don't own any screw drive lens (me for example). I am interested in how well it works with newer A mount lenses with a built in motor both Sony and 3rd party. If my A99ii ever dies I need to know how my lenses will work on a camera like the A7rIV.

I own plenty of screw drive lenses. 135/1.8 ZA Sonnar, Minolta 200/2.8, Minolta 85/1.4 among them. Plenty of people own screw drive lenses that they may be interested to adapt in the future. I doubt "most people" only bought the more expensive motor drive ones. In any case, why make an adapter that only works with screw drive lenses on the 3 most expensive bodies?

When I say "most people" I'm including all the lenses that were sold after Sony bought out Minolta. For that reason I suspect SSM and SAM lenses easily outnumber screw drive lenses.

I don't know how any of us could determine the ratio of existing screw-drive lenses to existing motorized ones. Screw-drive lenses were made for about 17 years before the first SSM lens even appeared. After that, motorized lenses gained a lot of traction, but old and new screw-drive lenses remained in the lineup and remain there even now.

I also don't know how any of us could determine the present ratio of users who own only motorized lenses, which would be a completely different thing.

Let's just say that plenty of people continue to own and use screw-drive lenses without trying to guess at a ratio.

tqlla Veteran Member • Posts: 6,173
Re: Useless reviews
1

tbcass wrote:

Maxxuman wrote:

tbcass wrote:

Because it was mostly people whining who don't own the adapter but were complaining it won't work with their screw drive lenses on the camera they own. I want reviews tested on non screw drive lenses on cameras that Sony says it will work on. The few people who tested it properly gave it high marks.

Here's an example, 1 star.

"The main feature is the motor. But it doesn't work with most cameras (A7M3, o A7-C for that matter). It's ridiculous, for most people this adapter is useless."

Well I suspect that "most people" don't own any screw drive lens (me for example). I am interested in how well it works with newer A mount lenses with a built in motor both Sony and 3rd party. If my A99ii ever dies I need to know how my lenses will work on a camera like the A7rIV.

I own plenty of screw drive lenses. 135/1.8 ZA Sonnar, Minolta 200/2.8, Minolta 85/1.4 among them. Plenty of people own screw drive lenses that they may be interested to adapt in the future. I doubt "most people" only bought the more expensive motor drive ones. In any case, why make an adapter that only works with screw drive lenses on the 3 most expensive bodies?

When I say "most people" I'm including all the lenses that were sold after Sony bought out Minolta. For that reason I suspect SSM and SAM lenses easily outnumber screw drive lenses.

Most Sony A-mount FF Prime lenses are screw drive. So unless the user only uses zoom lenses, they probably have a screw drive lens.

  1. Sony 16mm Fisheye
  2. Sony 50mm F1.4
  3. Sony 20mm F2.8
  4. Sony 35mm F1.4
  5. Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro
  6. Sony 100mm Macro
  7. Zeiss 85mm F1.4
  8. Zeiss 135mm F1.8
 tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony a7R III Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG DN
Maxxuman Senior Member • Posts: 1,900
Re: Useless reviews
1

tbcass wrote:

Maxxuman wrote:

tbcass wrote:

Because it was mostly people whining who don't own the adapter but were complaining it won't work with their screw drive lenses on the camera they own. I want reviews tested on non screw drive lenses on cameras that Sony says it will work on. The few people who tested it properly gave it high marks.

Here's an example, 1 star.

"The main feature is the motor. But it doesn't work with most cameras (A7M3, o A7-C for that matter). It's ridiculous, for most people this adapter is useless."

Well I suspect that "most people" don't own any screw drive lens (me for example). I am interested in how well it works with newer A mount lenses with a built in motor both Sony and 3rd party. If my A99ii ever dies I need to know how my lenses will work on a camera like the A7rIV.

I own plenty of screw drive lenses. 135/1.8 ZA Sonnar, Minolta 200/2.8, Minolta 85/1.4 among them. Plenty of people own screw drive lenses that they may be interested to adapt in the future. I doubt "most people" only bought the more expensive motor drive ones. In any case, why make an adapter that only works with screw drive lenses on the 3 most expensive bodies?

When I say "most people" I'm including all the lenses that were sold after Sony bought out Minolta. For that reason I suspect SSM and SAM lenses easily outnumber screw drive lenses.

Many people who bought into A Mount had screw drive Minolta lenses that were a factor in their decision to do so. And many who bought into A Mount without already having Minolta lenses took advantage of being able to pick them up as a great budget alternative to the Sony versions, which also included many screw drive lenses. So I strongly suspect you're wrong.

-- hide signature --

Barry

 Maxxuman's gear list:Maxxuman's gear list
Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T*
Maxxuman Senior Member • Posts: 1,900
Re: Useless reviews
1

tbcass wrote:

Maxxuman wrote:

I'm not interested in switching while my A99ii and A99 are happily working away with the lenses I have. But you've neglected to mention the Minolta 200/2.8, which is another superb lens that E Mount has no equivalent for.

How does that lens compare to the excellent 70-200/f2.8 G.

It's a hell of a lot lighter and more compact to start with, in part because of its clever sliding hood design. Its bokeh is beautiful it focuses really quickly and it's sharp wide open. It also works very well with the matched 1.4x TC. It's a much better tele/portrait lens to travel with when size and weight are important.

-- hide signature --

Barry

 Maxxuman's gear list:Maxxuman's gear list
Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T*
Ralf B
Ralf B Veteran Member • Posts: 8,717
OT: Sweep Pano issues?
1

tbcass wrote:

The sweep panorama feature of the A77ii, which I owned for 4 years, sucks because of stitching problems. I gave up trying. My A99ii suits me fine (sweep sucks with this too) and has for over 4 years but if it breaks I will buy an A7riv with the adapter. Sony hasn't had a camera that does good panos since the A77/A65.

The only times my a55 and a99 show sweep pano issues is when there is dirt on the imaging sensor which causes the stitching algorythm to go bonkers.
Cheers,
Ralf

 Ralf B's gear list:Ralf B's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha a99 Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +14 more
sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 21,755
Re: How many A-mount users are waiting for new bodies with full support for LA-EA5?

Prognathous wrote:

... The A6600 is a few hundred dollars above what I'm willing to pay, but it has some some annoying downgrades compared to my A77 MkII... The tilting built-in flash is also a surprisingly useful feature, despite its low GN (higher ISO to the rescue).

Are you talking about the fact that the A77/A77II pop-up can be pointed down from horizontal? I guess that's nice, but it usually ends up throwing light on the lens instead of on the subject. I'd prefer that it could be pointed up, close to vertical, for bouncing.

toughluck Veteran Member • Posts: 3,767
Re: Useless reviews
1

tqlla wrote:

tbcass wrote:

Maxxuman wrote:

tbcass wrote:

Because it was mostly people whining who don't own the adapter but were complaining it won't work with their screw drive lenses on the camera they own. I want reviews tested on non screw drive lenses on cameras that Sony says it will work on. The few people who tested it properly gave it high marks.

Here's an example, 1 star.

"The main feature is the motor. But it doesn't work with most cameras (A7M3, o A7-C for that matter). It's ridiculous, for most people this adapter is useless."

Well I suspect that "most people" don't own any screw drive lens (me for example). I am interested in how well it works with newer A mount lenses with a built in motor both Sony and 3rd party. If my A99ii ever dies I need to know how my lenses will work on a camera like the A7rIV.

I own plenty of screw drive lenses. 135/1.8 ZA Sonnar, Minolta 200/2.8, Minolta 85/1.4 among them. Plenty of people own screw drive lenses that they may be interested to adapt in the future. I doubt "most people" only bought the more expensive motor drive ones. In any case, why make an adapter that only works with screw drive lenses on the 3 most expensive bodies?

When I say "most people" I'm including all the lenses that were sold after Sony bought out Minolta. For that reason I suspect SSM and SAM lenses easily outnumber screw drive lenses.

Most Sony A-mount FF Prime lenses are screw drive. So unless the user only uses zoom lenses, they probably have a screw drive lens.

  1. Sony 16mm Fisheye
  2. Sony 50mm F1.4
  3. Sony 20mm F2.8
  4. Sony 35mm F1.4
  5. Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro
  6. Sony 100mm Macro
  7. Zeiss 85mm F1.4
  8. Zeiss 135mm F1.8

You're right, but if you have just one lens from this list, there's no reason to buy an adapter. In fact, even if you have a couple it might not be worthwhile.

Going over the items one by one, a few of these :

1. Fisheye: Sony didn't bother making an equivalent, but multiple third party alternatives exist and most of them are cheaper than just the adapter. No AF, but it's not like very short fisheyes need autofocus.

2+4. 50/1.4 and 35/1.4 have excellent Sony or third party equivalents.

3. Although light, the 20/2.8 is not a perfect lens, it's actually worse than many wide angle zooms. Prime alternatives that exist from Tamron and Sony are inexpensive and fairly good quality.

5+6. The macro lenses are very good, but there are multiple alternatives from Sigma (70 and 105), Tokina (100), not to mention Samyang, Laowa or 7Artisans.

7. Sony offers an excellent 85/1.8. Nuff said, except even more alternatives exist.

8. 135 ZA is the only prime lens that is hard to replace. Sigma and Sony are much more expensive and do not stand head and shoulders above the A mount Zeiss.

I'd add 500/8 AF reflex to the list which is compact and light and can produce really good results on a budget (compared to other 400+ mm lenses that fit, but are much heavier and way more expensive).

There are some Minolta lenses which weren't replaced that still hold up well today if you accept their limitations (600/4, 400/4.5, 300/2.8, 200/2.8), but even though they're worthwhile to adapt, they're comparatively rare.

 toughluck's gear list:toughluck's gear list
Sony a99 II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro +11 more
ActionPhotoPassion Senior Member • Posts: 2,073
Re: How many A-mount users are waiting for new bodies with full support for LA-EA5?

I really appreciate the fact that all the incoming new ML cameras from Sony will bring the good stuff with LAEA-5.

OTOH I have decided to go another road.

I will just take a cheap backup FF camera ideally the A900, in worst of the worst case scenario the A7 mark I.

I deeply enjoyed my last shooting experience with my D7D, so that opened my eye that at the moment the EVF are not superior in terms of shooting experience.

Probably a 9 millions dots EVF will do but clearly that's not for today those EVF will become mainstream and accessible to the largest public.

So yeah for me the A900 will be fine and if not possible I'll unfortunately we'll go with A7 mark I

Moreover there is something that bothers me more about Sony strategy concerning their AF compared to Canon or Panasonic. They are lagging at using AI .

Meaning that in A1 they have added the animal eye AF, but there is no leads indicating that they have a training model which will allow to add any new animal to the algorithms of the current camera models via fw update... And that is the road chosen by Canon and that is the road for winning the AF war now.

If it is needed to have a new Sony camera with each iteration of AF recognition improvement, it's not worthy.

 ActionPhotoPassion's gear list:ActionPhotoPassion's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A58 Sony a7 Sony a77 II Sony a99 II +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads