I was reading the reviews of the LA-EA5 on Sony.com...

Started Mar 23, 2021 | Discussions
daqk Contributing Member • Posts: 938
Re: I was reading the reviews of the LA-EA5 on Sony.com...

SQLGuy wrote:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/converters-mount-adapters/la-ea5/buy/laea5

13 reviews, less than 2 stars average.

Maybe if more people write, or upvote, reviews complaining about the lack of wider support for screw drive lenses, Sony might get to hear that... since it's on their site.

I had Minolta then Sony for too long lol Thanks OP but sadly it was never possible for users to vote on/off SONY.

One thing with Sony is they NEVER listen to us users (yes you paid ... but they want you keep on paying more $$$), especially when it comes to firmware updates for any reason.

The only exception for recent years was A9 (it got v6 with feature added and kinks all worked out lol), logically it was demanded by Olympic game but was delayed by Covid, not by you and me.

In general to use adapted lenses on Sony mirror-less, you will have much better "luck" with Canon/Sigma lenses + Metabones/MC11 than LA-EA1/2/3/4 + A mount lenses on FE Sony body. Why? It is Sony just did not bother try harder, for commercial reasons.

I have several FE bodies already. And I may keep couple SSM lenses plus SZ135F1.8 to stay on A99M2. After all, my plan is to get rid of most of my A mount screw driven lenses and to move on.

If you did not collect any cheapo screw driven A mount lenses yet, then avoid them and stay with SSM or Canon lens, the LA-EA3 or Metabone/MC11 work just fine. The AF has more to do with the lens.

ActionPhotoPassion Senior Member • Posts: 2,111
Re: No, they won't.

toughluck wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/converters-mount-adapters/la-ea5/buy/laea5

13 reviews, less than 2 stars average.

Maybe if more people write, or upvote, reviews complaining about the lack of wider support for screw drive lenses, Sony might get to hear that... since it's on their site.

No, they won't. I'm sorry to say this, but it's not how Sony operates. Sony apparently ignores criticism on principle.

Review bombing like this reeks of terrorism and nobody should cater to terrorists. Before you accuse me of playing the devil's advocate, let me explain.

I don't know whether the decision to only support screw drive focus on A6600 and A7R4 (and now A1) was due to technical difficulties, time constraints or pure marketing, but it was clearly mentioned in Sony's marketing materials and on Sony's support site. I don't know why people are ignorant of these limitations. Maybe they're impatient and don't want to waste time finding out, maybe they can't understand plain English, maybe it's something else. Either way, Sony is pretty up front with regards to what LA-EA5 is capable of.

As for the reason why only those two bodies were supported initially with screw drive AF and only support for A1 was added since, there are three broad categories, here with supporting and contradicting evidence:

MARKETING: Sony wants to promote the highest price APS-C and FF cameras which brings them more money and will offer full support for LA-EA5 to new cameras only going forward.

+ it's what companies do
+ lack of clear communication apparently supports this
+ adding support to A1 seems to carry it further
– Sony has a history of adding features to old cameras via firmware
– A7C was released after LA-EA5
– A7S3 was released shortly before LA-EA5

TECHNICAL: There is something about the sensors and/or AF processing in cameras that support screw drive with LA-EA5 that other cameras lack.

+ A6600 and A7R4, let alone A1 are the most sophisticated cameras Sony offers
+ A7C shares the sensor and AF processing with A73, so it was clear why support for A7C wasn't added.
– A6600 shares the sensor with A6400.
– A92 had by far the most sophisticated AF system of E mount cameras and a bespoke sensor and it's not supported

TIME CONSTRAINED: LA-EA5 was seemingly rushed to production.

+ Sony just needed one APS-C and one FF camera to work with it to get it out of the gate. As soon as support was added, they released it.
+ Support for A7R4 was required because it is the highest resolution E mount body so it takes the most advantage of sharpness.
+ It doesn't support video AF.
+ This appears to match their marketing materials since they tout compatibility with Zeiss 85 and 135, without giving much thought to other lenses.
+ This explains why some cameras were omitted that should be supported: A73/A7C because it would need extra work, A7S3 because it's video-oriented, A92 because it's not oriented for stills work.
+ If Sony added support for older cameras, they might not have enough time to support the latest ones. So supporting A7C/A73 means a very broad customer base, but no time to implement AF with A7R4. Similarly for A7R3. This takes away time to develop firmware for the latest cameras.
– Limited support for A7R4 is baked in with the initial firmware. This shows that the LA-EA5 was being developed for a while and kinks were worked out on the A7R4. (This could also be supporting evidence that shows it take a lot of work to fine tune the adapter.)
– There's no clear reason why it was rushed. Monster LA-EA4r is not much of a threat, since it requires people to get an LA-EA4 in the first place and it's never going to be manufacturer-supported. Discontinuing A mount was not necessary at this time, it could have carried on for a few more months.
– Sony should have released or at least announced updates that support screw drive AF by now.

I think that time constraint has the highest likelihood. Marketing advantage and avoiding dealing with technical issues on older cameras is just an extra perk. They may or may not add support for older bodies in the future, but then again, they may forgo it.

In closing, I think that negative customer reviews won't achieve anything. Not with most companies, but especially Sony.

There are a few things I agree with you, especially the fact that Sony is a company with objectives to sell their gear. This makes sense and it's their strategy, it's their right to apply it.

OTOH I disagree on this:

> It is clear to me that the development of E-mount bodies have been driven and influenced by multiple Sony Artisan photographers (or ambassadors) like Marc Alhadef and Jason Lanier for sure (probably Northrup too).

So yes Sony is listening to but only their representatitves, not John Doe. And I think it's a mistake but that's my personal opinion.

> You said it yourself Sony rushed to deliver the adapter. Why would Sony even rushed out to deliver it ? What was that rush about ? Was it rational to rush ? Well the answer might be on the side of the LAEA4-R monster as it showed that Sony lied saying that it is NOT possible to adapt with screw driven lenses on previous camera models.

Don't get me wrong I'm glad that Sony did deliver LAEA-5, but I think it would have been acceptable if the adapter would work in a soso way on older  cameras.

Recall how was working the adapters on A7m1 and A7ii, started to be acceptable on A7Rm2. But hey it's an adapter it's not a "tool" supposed to give blazzing performance in the first place.

For landscape shooters LAEA3 and LAEA4 are already sufficient adapters anyway.

Last week-end I played around with my old Mino D7D that is siting on the shelf during weeks and each time I'm shockingly shocked with the OVF.  When the light is sunny outside the OVF is so clear and crisp that the experience is even better than the EVF of A99m2.

Which lead me to the reflexion: What was one of the main reason why everybody wanted to go mirrorless ? The cost to design and tailor a great pentaprism OVF. Well if finally it is needed to design and implement an EVF of 9Mpx to do the job of a pentaprism OVF, finally there is absolutely no win here.

My personal conclusion was: I'm ready to buy a second hand A900 as my all-rounder.

ActionPhotoPassion's gear list:ActionPhotoPassion's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A58 Sony a7 Sony a77 II Sony a99 II +18 more
toughluck Veteran Member • Posts: 3,809

Ricky 92rt wrote:

tqlla wrote:

toughluck wrote:

tqlla wrote:

Some person sells an mod for the LA-EA4 to work without a mirror.... and you think that Sony hasnt figured out how to get the LA-EA5 to work with screw drive lenses A7iii?

And LA-EA4r works about as well as you'd expect for an adapter that makes the camera pretend it's driving a SSM/SAM lens. Which is to say, not that good.

Sony can't just release a half-finished product without proper support for older bodies and claim it's compatible.

But releasing a half baked adapter limited to two cameras at the time, that's acceptable? Then they hide the fact that its limited to those two bodies(now 3). And I am pretty sure they said something about stay tuned for compatibility updates, and they never updated sheet.

At minimum, the LA-EA5 should work with Gen3 or current model cameras. Being limited to the most ridiculous bodies(A1, A7Riv and A6600) is just ridiculous.

Even you realize that their reasons for limiting the LA-EA5 to the A7Riv/A6600/A1 are not technical. I dont understand why you would defend that.

It's an up sell tactic from Sony. Do you think it's coincidence that it's working with "the more expensive bodies"?. The A6600 being the same hardware as the A6400 and 6100. Has nothing to do with battery they can drive the LAEA4 as can the previous A6300/6500

I believe it's due to time constraints. So when engineers were only given enough time to work on one FF and one APS-C body, they naturally chose the highest end ones (however, not A92, but A7R4), otherwise there would be huge customer backlash from owners of those most expensive cameras.

Ignoring FF for a while, look at APS-C. If engineers had time for just one camera, which one should they have picked?
Answer? A6600. It's a current camera with the latest AF system. A6500 has an older AF system, A6400 and below do not have IBIS.

Looking at FF, I know it's tempting to think that A73 (and hence, A7C since they share the same underpinnings) should be given support, but if there are valid technical reasons that make the A7R4 easier to work with, there's no question why it was the one selected. A7R4 is Sony's highest res body, so it can get the last bit of sharpness from the two most important lenses supported (85 ZA and 135 ZA).

As for A1, when it was released, it would be extremely odd for it to not support the adapter.

toughluck's gear list:toughluck's gear list
Sony a99 II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro +12 more

tqlla wrote:

Ricky 92rt wrote:

It's an up sell tactic from Sony. Do you think it's coincidence that it's working with "the more expensive bodies"?. The A6600 being the same hardware as the A6400 and 6100. Has nothing to do with battery they can drive the LAEA4 as can the previous A6300/6500

Sony don't want it to work with the cheaper stuff. Hard to find any other conclusion.

I agree, its such and obvious and jerk move by Sony. Just like that F3.5 limitation, which was debunked on the original A77.

The only dick move by Sony is that they never explained the technical reason for the limitation.

Contrary to what you might think, Sony doesn't have very good fortune tellers on their payroll.

A77 was released in 2011 alongside NEX-7. Both had similar capabilities, but NEX-7 didn't have that many lenses for filming (aside from 18-200 which was specifically designed for filming with power zoom).

A year later, Sony released A99 and touted its video capabilities. It took them another year to release the A7 and A7R, and 1.5 years to release A7S.

There was never a good marketing reason for the F3.5 limitation.

Claiming otherwise is arguing that A77 and A99 would somehow cannibalize sales of A6000, A7, A7R and A7S which were still 1-2.5 years away from their A mount equivalents.

Sony a99 II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro +12 more

Ricky 92rt wrote:

Lensmate wrote:

tqlla wrote:

Ricky 92rt wrote:

Sony don't want it to work with the cheaper stuff. Hard to find any other conclusion.

I agree, its such and obvious and jerk move by Sony. Just like that F3.5 limitation, which was debunked on the original A77.

Its even worse they dont clearly state it on the product page, so people are shocked when it arrives and doesnt work.

Its clearly stated on their page, but fools rush in without paying proper attention, and then cry foul. There are many reasons a company will do certain things, and they shouldn't have to explain or babysit those whiners who leaped without looking...

Not really that clear is it unless you start digging around

There are several different adaptors that do specific things and that's what Sony chose to offer, some different choices... they are not a panacea to all lenses. Buyer beware....

-Martin P

No the plan was to push people to the expensive cameras. Reality is for most A mount users - just use what you have or keep buying used gear for A mount lenses. It's hard to call this adapter for anything else other than a poorly though out marketing ploy

I'm loving the trade in offer too..lol

More like "Enjoy not being able to AF with most of your A Mount lenses on your new E Mount body"

That's why there's that ¹ and ² in the flyer. See that? "Offering full compatibility with the latest E-mount bodies¹, and AF systems for A-mount lens² users."

tqlla wrote:

Lensmate wrote:

Ricky 92rt wrote:

Seriously nobody cares about the offer, I just posted it to show how little Sony grasp about A mount users needs. Even someone who was part time certified, would pass that deal up, it's borderline insulting at best unless you have a busted up A700

No drama from anyone just calling it as it is, badly thought out adapter with so limited compatibility it's of little interest to most users. I don't care much I can get s/h gear for the next 20 years if I needed to, what's around is sufficient for most users needs.

If Sony don't want to appeal to A mount users in a serious way that's their problem. like i said it's kinda embarrassing a couple of guys can hack an LAEA4 and get better results than Sony can.

Talking about thinking things through properly, you still don't get it not even close

I'm sure the warehouse it filling up with returned LAEA5's quite nicely by now, that's their problem. It's pretty obvious why it's getting bad reviews from buyers

Its only getting bad reviews from peeps that didn't look into it enough. I see good reviews from those that DID think it through.

Sony clearly states limitations with cameras and lenses. I don't believe they have to hold everyone's hands throughout the process, as they are too busy bringing first class cameras and lenses to those that are interested in the latest and greatest.

-Martin P

Why should people have to click through a maze to figure out what Cameras are compatible with the LA-EA5. Sony could just write. AF with screw driven lenses is only compatible with the A1, A7Riv and the A6600. They could even put it in the fine print.

But instead the information is hidden. A user has to know which page to start at and the correct sequence of pages they need to jump through.

1. https://www.sony.com/electronics/converters-mount-adapters/la-ea5
  2. Click on compatibility
  3. Click on Select model.... whoops Wrong page. Start over
  4. Click on interchangeable lens
  5. Click on a lens .... whoops. No info there. Start over.
  6. Click on Body,
  7. Click on emount camera
  8. Click on a Camera body.... whoops no info there either.

Wow it is so easy to get ZERO compatibility information.

People rightfully expect that the Adapter will work with at least current cameras(A7iii/A9/A9ii/A7Siii/A7C). Sony hides the lack of functionality through a maze of pages. That 2 star rating is well deserved.

So I did. I clicked on the link:

https://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/www/cscs/accessories/?mdl=LA-EA5&area=gwt&lang=en_US

Suppose I have A73. I hover over "body" and clik "Interchangeable Lens Camera". Next I click ILCE-7M3 and I see:

I click "Lenses Compatibility" and I get this new page:

http://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/www/cscs/accessories/compatibility.php?area=us&lang=en&mdl=ILCE-7M3&cat=7

I click, for example, SAL135F18Z and see this:

LA-EA5

• Autofocus cannot be used.
  • Available with a Mount Adaptor.
  • Operation sound of the diaphragm is recorded with the internal microphone.
  • Outside the A (Aperture priority), S (Shutter priority), and M (Manual) modes, the shutter speed and the aperture can not be adjusted during the movie recording.
  • If you attach the [A-mount lens] using the Mount Adaptor, MF assist function does not work automatically when you turn the focus ring. You can enlarge the image by selecting [Focus Magnifier] function or [MF Assist] function to any key in the "Custom Key Settings"

Doesn't get much clearer than this.

I mean, sure, there are people who don't think twice about spending 250 bucks on a whim, but I don't, so I would check this first.

Suppose you have one or two lenses, so you might want to check them first. You click "Interchangeable Lens [A-mount] Compatibility Information" and select SAL135F18Z, get this:

And you're presented with this page:

http://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/www/cscs/accessories/compatibility.php?area=us&lang=en&mdl=SAL135F18Z&cat=3

You can click on any body and if AF is not available, you get this in the first position:

How much clearer do you need it to be?

Ricky 92rt Forum Member • Posts: 60

toughluck wrote:

tqlla wrote:

Ricky 92rt wrote:

The only dick move by Sony is that they never explained the technical reason for the limitation.

There is no technical limitation, you can jam open the aperture lever and shoot wide open with AF on any lens, Sony just hamstrung it (probably to push E Mount more or make it more appealing)

Contrary to what you might think, Sony doesn't have very good fortune tellers on their payroll.

A77 was released in 2011 alongside NEX-7. Both had similar capabilities, but NEX-7 didn't have that many lenses for filming (aside from 18-200 which was specifically designed for filming with power zoom).

A77 also didn't have manual audio levels, still waiting for that firmware update lol

Point is there was no aperture limitation on that body for E Mount

A year later, Sony released A99 and touted its video capabilities. It took them another year to release the A7 and A7R, and 1.5 years to release A7S.

I remember the A99 AF-D fiasco too well so do others, so little support for many it wasn't even worth bothering with

A99ii also had it's not supported hybrid AF erm again that was another let's cripple it a bit, let's put people off third party lenses.

Remind us what firmware update the A99ii got. High end expensive flagship camera

Result= A bug fix lol

Claiming otherwise is arguing that A77 and A99 would somehow cannibalize sales of A6000, A7, A7R and A7S which were still 1-2.5 years away from their A mount equivalents.

Never underestimate the ability of Sony to cripple things

The LAEA5 is a crippled adapter, we know all these screw drive lenses can AF with video. We know even older bodies can support AF with screw drive (aka monster adapter)

So the result is the same, it is Sony's choice to only have 3 bodies working with screw drive AF. Do you think it's a surprise that they happen to be the more expensive ones?

It's a deliberate choice, result is they'll get a lot of returns and 1 or 2 star reviews lol

Ricky 92rt wrote:

toughluck wrote:

tqlla wrote:

Ricky 92rt wrote:

There is no technical limitation, you can jam open the aperture lever and shoot wide open with AF on any lens, Sony just hamstrung it (probably to push E Mount more or make it more appealing)

Yes, and you can mount a darker lens and it will AF just fine. That's why I said it was a dick move on Sony's part to never explain why it was necessary if there was a good technical reason for that.

A77 also didn't have manual audio levels, still waiting for that firmware update lol

Point is there was no aperture limitation on that body for E Mount

I remember the A99 AF-D fiasco too well so do others, so little support for many it wasn't even worth bothering with

A99ii also had it's not supported hybrid AF erm again that was another let's cripple it a bit, let's put people off third party lenses.

Question, did you try it with Tamron 70-300 USD? Did you see how badly it's prone to misfocusing if you use OSPDAF with it?

Remind us what firmware update the A99ii got. High end expensive flagship camera

Result= A bug fix lol

I'm irked by the lack of feature upgrades for A99ii, but I was aware of their lack when I bought the camera. I never looked at its feature set and decided that: "Oh, it's missing this <critical feature x> that I sorely need, but I know it will be added in a future firmware version, so I'll buy the camera anyway."

I was never under the impression that I'm buying more than I paid for with the promise of some future upgrade.

Never underestimate the ability of Sony to cripple things

The LAEA5 is a crippled adapter, we know all these screw drive lenses can AF with video. We know even older bodies can support AF with screw drive (aka monster adapter)

Does monster's LA-EA4r work with those lenses? Yes. Does it work well with them? I never saw anyone claim that.

So the result is the same, it is Sony's choice to only have 3 bodies working with screw drive AF. Do you think it's a surprise that they happen to be the more expensive ones?

It's a deliberate choice, result is they'll get a lot of returns and 1 or 2 star reviews lol

We'll never know, but somehow I doubt that they get a lot of returns. Sure, a lot of keyboard warriors will leave those critical reviews, but it's totally counterproductive.

Let me tell you something: Whenever I shop for a rather expensive item, I research it. Then I turn to reviews to look at the negative ones to find out if the product has a high failure rate or any potential hidden flaws.

If negative reviews mention compatibility issues that are clearly mentioned on the product page or that you can easily find online, I roll my eyes.

Case in point, I was looking at MSI PS341WU monitor. It was clearly mentioned that it requires DisplayPort v. 1.3 (for HBR3 mode) if you want to use it in 10 bit color mode and there was a linked sheet for Mac laptop users to note which models support full 60 Hz at 5K2K, which only support 50 Hz and which ones will only support up to 4K2K.

There are tons of negative reviews saying that the buyer couldn't get the monitor to display 5K2K at 60 Hz. There are so many that it was hard to find the actual common issue that the monitor has (and shares with LG 34WK95U), namely image retention.

So no, I don't think writing negative reviews helps other buyers or helps Sony in any way.

By the way, if/when they finally make a firmware release to support screw drive AF with older cameras, what happens to those reviews? Do they stay online or can Sony delete them?

Donbont New Member • Posts: 19

If I were an e-mount user with an out of production Sony e-mount camera body I am not sure I would buy an LAE-A5 adapter in order to be able to use A-mount lenses. Where I live the CL market is awash with used e-mount lenses with relatively few A-mount lenses advertised. Given that I rarely if ever see A99/ii bodies in my CL locale I don't know how much market penetration those bodies really had so maybe that helps explain the relative lack of activity for A-mount lens sales on CL.

Lensmate
Lensmate Veteran Member • Posts: 7,303

toughluck wrote:

tqlla wrote:

Lensmate wrote:

Ricky 92rt wrote:

Seriously nobody cares about the offer, I just posted it to show how little Sony grasp about A mount users needs. Even someone who was part time certified, would pass that deal up, it's borderline insulting at best unless you have a busted up A700

No drama from anyone just calling it as it is, badly thought out adapter with so limited compatibility it's of little interest to most users. I don't care much I can get s/h gear for the next 20 years if I needed to, what's around is sufficient for most users needs.

If Sony don't want to appeal to A mount users in a serious way that's their problem. like i said it's kinda embarrassing a couple of guys can hack an LAEA4 and get better results than Sony can.

Talking about thinking things through properly, you still don't get it not even close

I'm sure the warehouse it filling up with returned LAEA5's quite nicely by now, that's their problem. It's pretty obvious why it's getting bad reviews from buyers

Its only getting bad reviews from peeps that didn't look into it enough. I see good reviews from those that DID think it through.

Sony clearly states limitations with cameras and lenses. I don't believe they have to hold everyone's hands throughout the process, as they are too busy bringing first class cameras and lenses to those that are interested in the latest and greatest.

-Martin P

Why should people have to click through a maze to figure out what Cameras are compatible with the LA-EA5. Sony could just write. AF with screw driven lenses is only compatible with the A1, A7Riv and the A6600. They could even put it in the fine print.

But instead the information is hidden. A user has to know which page to start at and the correct sequence of pages they need to jump through.

6. Click on Body,

People rightfully expect that the Adapter will work with at least current cameras(A7iii/A9/A9ii/A7Siii/A7C). Sony hides the lack of functionality through a maze of pages. That 2 star rating is well deserved.

https://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/www/cscs/accessories/?mdl=LA-EA5&area=gwt&lang=en_US

Suppose I have A73. I hover over "body" and clik "Interchangeable Lens Camera". Next I click ILCE-7M3 and I see:

http://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/www/cscs/accessories/compatibility.php?area=us&lang=en&mdl=ILCE-7M3&cat=7

LA-EA5

• Outside the A (Aperture priority), S (Shutter priority), and M (Manual) modes, the shutter speed and the aperture can not be adjusted during the movie recording.
  • If you attach the [A-mount lens] using the Mount Adaptor, MF assist function does not work automatically when you turn the focus ring. You can enlarge the image by selecting [Focus Magnifier] function or [MF Assist] function to any key in the "Custom Key Settings"

I mean, sure, there are people who don't think twice about spending 250 bucks on a whim, but I don't, so I would check this first.

Suppose you have one or two lenses, so you might want to check them first. You click "Interchangeable Lens [A-mount] Compatibility Information" and select SAL135F18Z, get this:

http://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/www/cscs/accessories/compatibility.php?area=us&lang=en&mdl=SAL135F18Z&cat=3

You can click on any body and if AF is not available, you get this in the first position:

Exactly!

-Martin P

Lensmate

toughluck wrote:

Ricky 92rt wrote:

Lensmate wrote:

tqlla wrote:

Ricky 92rt wrote:

Its even worse they dont clearly state it on the product page, so people are shocked when it arrives and doesnt work.

Its clearly stated on their page, but fools rush in without paying proper attention, and then cry foul. There are many reasons a company will do certain things, and they shouldn't have to explain or babysit those whiners who leaped without looking...

Not really that clear is it unless you start digging around

There are several different adaptors that do specific things and that's what Sony chose to offer, some different choices... they are not a panacea to all lenses. Buyer beware....

-Martin P

No the plan was to push people to the expensive cameras. Reality is for most A mount users - just use what you have or keep buying used gear for A mount lenses. It's hard to call this adapter for anything else other than a poorly though out marketing ploy

More like "Enjoy not being able to AF with most of your A Mount lenses on your new E Mount body"

That's why there's that ¹ and ² in the flyer. See that? "Offering full compatibility with the latest E-mount bodies¹, and AF systems for A-mount lens² users."

Exactly! Pretty obvious...

-Martin P

tqlla Veteran Member • Posts: 6,188

toughluck wrote:

Ricky 92rt wrote:

The A7siii, and A7C aren't "The latest"? The A7iii, and the A9ii are also "the latest".

At the time that flyer was released, the adapter was only compatible with TWO cameras.   how hard would it have been to list the two cameras.

tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony a7R III Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG DN

Lensmate wrote:

toughluck wrote:

tqlla wrote:

6. Click on Body,

LA-EA5

Exactly!

-Martin P

The information doesnt need to be clearer, it needs to be available.  Not hidden through a maze of web pages. 
Maybe Sony could put the information on...hmmmm.... the LA-EA5 page.  Seems like the obvious place for major restrictions, but obviously you feel that hiding the information is better for the customers.

Sony RX1R II Sony a7R III Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG DN
Lensmate

toughluck wrote:

Ricky 92rt wrote:

tqlla wrote:

toughluck wrote:

tqlla wrote:

Some person sells an mod for the LA-EA4 to work without a mirror.... and you think that Sony hasnt figured out how to get the LA-EA5 to work with screw drive lenses A7iii?

And LA-EA4r works about as well as you'd expect for an adapter that makes the camera pretend it's driving a SSM/SAM lens. Which is to say, not that good.

Sony can't just release a half-finished product without proper support for older bodies and claim it's compatible.

But releasing a half baked adapter limited to two cameras at the time, that's acceptable? Then they hide the fact that its limited to those two bodies(now 3). And I am pretty sure they said something about stay tuned for compatibility updates, and they never updated sheet.

At minimum, the LA-EA5 should work with Gen3 or current model cameras. Being limited to the most ridiculous bodies(A1, A7Riv and A6600) is just ridiculous.

Even you realize that their reasons for limiting the LA-EA5 to the A7Riv/A6600/A1 are not technical. I dont understand why you would defend that.

I believe it's due to time constraints. So when engineers were only given enough time to work on one FF and one APS-C body, they naturally chose the highest end ones (however, not A92, but A7R4), otherwise there would be huge customer backlash from owners of those most expensive cameras.

Ignoring FF for a while, look at APS-C. If engineers had time for just one camera, which one should they have picked?
Answer? A6600. It's a current camera with the latest AF system. A6500 has an older AF system, A6400 and below do not have IBIS.

Looking at FF, I know it's tempting to think that A73 (and hence, A7C since they share the same underpinnings) should be given support, but if there are valid technical reasons that make the A7R4 easier to work with, there's no question why it was the one selected. A7R4 is Sony's highest res body, so it can get the last bit of sharpness from the two most important lenses supported (85 ZA and 135 ZA).

As for A1, when it was released, it would be extremely odd for it to not support the adapter.

I wholeheartedly agree...

-Martin P

toughluck wrote:

tqlla wrote:

Ricky 92rt wrote:

You mean there was never a good marketing excuse.   There was NO technical reason for the F3.5 limitation.  The original A77 COULD AF without the F3.5 limitation using a combination of button presses.   That loophole was closed via a firmware.

They are simply a holes when it comes to the A-mount.

Lensmate

tqlla wrote:

Lensmate wrote:

toughluck wrote:

tqlla wrote:

6. Click on Body,

LA-EA5

Exactly!

-Martin P

The information doesnt need to be clearer, it needs to be available. Not hidden through a maze of web pages.
Maybe Sony could put the information on...hmmmm.... the LA-EA5 page. Seems like the obvious place for major restrictions, but obviously you feel that hiding the information is better for the customers.

At the bottom of those pages, there is a request for opinions. You are always free to do so...

-Martin P

Lensmate

tqlla wrote:

toughluck wrote:

Ricky 92rt wrote:

The A7siii, and A7C aren't "The latest"? The A7iii, and the A9ii are also "the latest".

At the time that flyer was released, the adapter was only compatible with TWO cameras. how hard would it have been to list the two cameras.

To future proof the adapter. It works with the new A1 camera, which had not come out at that time.

-Martin P

SQLGuy
OP SQLGuy Forum Pro • Posts: 11,775

Lensmate wrote:

tqlla wrote:

toughluck wrote:

Ricky 92rt wrote:

At the time that flyer was released, the adapter was only compatible with TWO cameras. how hard would it have been to list the two cameras.

To future proof the adapter. It works with the new A1 camera, which had not come out at that time.

-Martin P

"The latest E-mount camera bodies"... but not the one just released the month before the adapter (A7SIII), or the next one to be released (A7C), or the A9II which was released after the A7R4, but, yeah, latest...

-- hide signature --

A7R2 with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); A7R converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Sony Mavica FD-91 Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS 5D +40 more
Ricky 92rt Forum Member • Posts: 60

Donbont wrote:

If I were an e-mount user with an out of production Sony e-mount camera body I am not sure I would buy an LAE-A5 adapter in order to be able to use A-mount lenses. Where I live the CL market is awash with used e-mount lenses with relatively few A-mount lenses advertised. Given that I rarely if ever see A99/ii bodies in my CL locale I don't know how much market penetration those bodies really had so maybe that helps explain the relative lack of activity for A-mount lens sales on CL.

They A99/99ii not exactly bargain basement cameras, but they are around (A99 is fairly decent numbers). It was IMO Sony's mistake to not have a cheaper FF body for A mount

No shortage of A77 and cheaper bodies around so I imagine they sold quite well

The adapter is mainly aimed at current A Mount users, however there are plenty of people who adapt lenses to E Mount. There are a ton of A mount lenses around used, for some really good prices, so I don't doubt bargain hunters do also pick up A mount lenses. Yes Canon can be adapted easier, however Canon don't have the same price/bang per buck value on some things

All the MILC systems are expensive for lenses, the E mount FF kit lens is a weak optic, so anyone doing landscape probably doesn't care much about AF, even if they did there are some nice Minolta lenses that blow the Sony E 28-70mm away optically. That's one example. 90mm SEL Macro expensive, 100mm Sony/Minolta a very good optic and way cheaper even mint used. Don't underestimate the appeal of adapters for many people.

It's about offering a way forward. So when the LAEA5 came out many people were quite excited, it looked to offer an ideal solution (smaller, built in AF motor, no SLT mirror). The reality is disappointing, with such limited support, even if you leave the video AF side out of it, 3 bodies simply isn't enough.

Let us hope in 6 months time that list has grown significantly, if it hasn't then that's going to be a real let down

Lensmate

SQLGuy wrote:

Lensmate wrote:

tqlla wrote:

toughluck wrote:

Ricky 92rt wrote:

-Martin P

"The latest E-mount camera bodies"... but not the one just released the month before the adapter (A7SIII), or the next one to be released (A7C), or the A9II which was released after the A7R4, but, yeah, latest...

The A1 camera is a dream machine for many and for peeps like me who are heavily invested in A-mount lenses, that adapter is a great choice. I have the Sony 500mm f4 lens A-mount lens that could well adapt to that sort of camera. So kudos to Sony for that option/decision. Having some choice is a lot better than not having any choices at all!

-Martin P

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads