Sx70

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Elliern Senior Member • Posts: 1,693
Sx70

I have decided to order another sx70 after the first one was defective. I should be getting it on Thursday. Want to try it out for BIFs and small birds.
Any suggestions for settings would be appreciated. In the past, I always used JPEG in S mode.
I seem to be having bad luck with my recent bridge cameras. The zoom on my Nikon P950 started acting up and B&H recommended I return it as it was still in the 30 day window.
Really hoping this one works because I am out of options. Will just have to stick to using my DSLR for everything.

There doesn’t seem to be anyone using the Sx70. Hope I didn’t make a terrible mistake

-- hide signature --

Ellie

Elliern's gear list:Elliern's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon Coolpix P610 Nikon D5100 Sony a6000 Nikon D5500
Canon PowerShot SX70
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jshen808
jshen808 Forum Pro • Posts: 16,067
Re: Sx70

Elliern wrote:

I have decided to order another sx70 after the first one was defective. I should be getting it on Thursday. Want to try it out for BIFs and small birds.
Any suggestions for settings would be appreciated. In the past, I always used JPEG in S mode.
I seem to be having bad luck with my recent bridge cameras. The zoom on my Nikon P950 started acting up and B&H recommended I return it as it was still in the 30 day window.
Really hoping this one works because I am out of options. Will just have to stick to using my DSLR for everything.

Hi Ellie,

Sorry to hear about the lens problem on your P950 camera.

Yes, it's better to return & exchange for another P950 camera.

For the SX70 camera, even though it is possible for taking bif's,

but it's really better to be used for birds that are in stills/perched.

Also, the SX70 does not have a hotshoe, so can't use red dot sights.

Regarding the SX70 camera settings,

to turn the Auto Lighting Optimizer "Off" (similar to Active-D Lighting),

and to either leave the Sharpening setting at the default (+4) level,

or can set the Sharpening setting at the (+3) level, conservative,

which to me, this can help reduce the noise in the pictures.

Can see my two posted threads below,

out-of-camera jpgs taken with my SX70.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4370436

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4371656

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Cheers, John
(Feel free to download my pictures)
*** Photography is about fun ***
*** No response = ignore list ***

jshen808's gear list:jshen808's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82
Sue Anne Rush
Sue Anne Rush Senior Member • Posts: 2,523

Sometimes you can return your SX 70 back to Canon and they will give you another one in replacement.

It's the Canon loyalty program. 

Sue Anne Rush's gear list:Sue Anne Rush's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Canon EOS 7D
jshen808

Sue Anne Rush wrote:

Sometimes you can return your SX 70 back to Canon and they will give you another one in replacement.

It's the Canon loyalty program.

Hi Sue Anne,

Wow, I did not know this, thanks for sharing!

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Cheers, John

bizi clop
bizi clop Contributing Member • Posts: 528

Elliern wrote:

There doesn’t seem to be anyone using the Sx70. Hope I didn’t make a terrible mistake

There is one problem with the SX70: DxO still doesn't support it!

bizi clop's gear list:bizi clop's gear list
Canon PowerShot G2 Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
OP Elliern Senior Member • Posts: 1,693

Well...on an impulse I purchased a used Canon sx50 from KEH!  
I still have fond memories of my old one so I just did it. But feel safe since I have bought from them before and they have a great return policy.

-- hide signature --

Ellie

Woody S
Woody S Regular Member • Posts: 466

Elliern wrote:

I still have fond memories of my old one so I just did it. But feel safe since I have bought from them before and they have a great return policy.

I really liked my original SX50 and had another that I'd barely used; the original began having lens extension issues after about 150,000 clicks. That's when I bought my first SX70 and decided to sell the barely used SX50 and now have two SX70s. Although the SX50s' images were slightly better than the SX70s', the difference in the EVF between the two models is enough to make the SX70 my go-to camera for hiking and biking. My first SX70 probably now has taken about 60,000 photos and is still going strong.

-- hide signature --
 Woody S's gear list:Woody S's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II

Woody S wrote:

Elliern wrote:

I really liked my original SX50 and had another that I'd barely used; the original began having lens extension issues after about 150,000 clicks. That's when I bought my first SX70 and decided to sell the barely used SX50 and now have two SX70s. Although the SX50s' images were slightly better than the SX70s', the difference in the EVF between the two models is enough to make the SX70 my go-to camera for hiking and biking. My first SX70 probably now has taken about 60,000 photos and is still going strong.

Thanks Woody.  I should get the sx50 on Saturday. Supposed to rain all weekend so may be Monday before I can try it out.  Obviously you like the sx70 better than your sx50.  One reason I decided to buy the sx50 was because I read that it had better image quality than the sx70, just as you discovered.  So how much of a difference is there?  And is the EVF that much better/different on the sx70?  I never really got a chance to use the sx70 since it was defective.  Are there any other advantages to the 70?  What do you mostly shoot on your hikes, scenery, wildlife or both? Nice to hear how much you are enjoying your two cameras.  
I am wanting to shoot mostly birds of all sizes, and flowers.  And great doorways when I find them.

-- hide signature --

Ellie

Woody S

" So how much of a difference is there? And is the EVF that much better/different on the sx70?"

Although there's a difference in image quality between the two models, I never would have noticed if I hadn't done a comparison between the two by taking photographs of the same things at the same settings. Photos from my second SX70 are better than those from the first (which is what I used for the comparison shoot), so I would say that my second SX70 is the equal of the SX50. Variations between individual cameras/lenses of all makes/models are not unusual.

I wear glasses at all times and the EVF on the SX70 is a GREAT improvement over that on the SX50. Normally I always use the EVF for photos and only use the LCD for ground level photos of wildflowers, mosses and the like.

Most of my photos are of wildlife, but I also take a lot of photographs of plants from trees to lichens; waterfalls are also a subject of interest.

If you want to see photos from my SX70s check my blog posts from the past 18 months where virtually all of the still photos are from the SX70 (some recent images are from a Lumix GX85 {the flying eagle and a couple of the last elk photos}, the videos are from commercial camera traps). For a variety of samples check the four A Naturalist's Year posts -- just remember that the images have been severely compressed for posting.

-- hide signature --

Woody S wrote:

" So how much of a difference is there? And is the EVF that much better/different on the sx70?"

Although there's a difference in image quality between the two models, I never would have noticed if I hadn't done a comparison between the two by taking photographs of the same things at the same settings. Photos from my second SX70 are better than those from the first (which is what I used for the comparison shoot), so I would say that my second SX70 is the equal of the SX50. Variations between individual cameras/lenses of all makes/models are not unusual.

I wear glasses at all times and the EVF on the SX70 is a GREAT improvement over that on the SX50. Normally I always use the EVF for photos and only use the LCD for ground level photos of wildflowers, mosses and the like.

Most of my photos are of wildlife, but I also take a lot of photographs of plants from trees to lichens; waterfalls are also a subject of interest.

If you want to see photos from my SX70s check my blog posts from the past 18 months where virtually all of the still photos are from the SX70 (some recent images are from a Lumix GX85 {the flying eagle and a couple of the last elk photos}, the videos are from commercial camera traps). For a variety of samples check the four A Naturalist's Year posts -- just remember that the images have been severely compressed for posting.

Thanks for describing all that you like about your camera.  Just what I needed.  We shoot very similar subjects and I too wear glasses.  I read somewhere that there can be a wide variance between IQ in the sx70 due to quality control issues.  
I will see how the sx50 does with my glasses and with  IQ, if not great will return it and then decide on another sx70 or Nikon P950.  I am sure the sx50 has high shutter count but hoping it will last for awhile.  Who knows what the future holds for super zooms

thanks again for all you information

-- hide signature --

Ellie

jshen808

Hi Ellie,

The below posted thread shows out-of-camera jpg pictures from my SX50, SX60, SX70 cameras.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4366157

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Cheers, John

Al Ball Junior Member • Posts: 25

It is a good camera if you do not get a faulty one.

I set aperture and increase iso to keep shutter speed up.

As long as iso is kept at 400 or lower the results can be very good.

Al Ball's gear list:Al Ball's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX70 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9

jshen808 wrote:

Hi Ellie,

The below posted thread shows out-of-camera jpg pictures from my SX50, SX60, SX70 cameras.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4366157

Cheers!

Thanks, John.  I viewed all the images and read all the comments.  I liked the longer zoom of the sx70 and I had to look closely to see that the sx 50 had very good IQ but the sx70 didn’t look  terrible to me.  I felt the sx60 had no advantages over the other two. I appreciate you sharing the link.  If the sx50 works for my needs, I am sure it will be just fine IQ wise, if not then another sx70 or P950 may be my choices.
Thank you again for comparing all three cameras

-- hide signature --

Ellie

arrow501 Contributing Member • Posts: 895

jshen808 wrote:

Elliern wrote:

Hi Ellie,

Cheers!

Hi John, did you use a lens filter on those shots?

arrow501's gear list:arrow501's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX240 HS Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
da7329 Contributing Member • Posts: 845

You might check out stokesbirdingblog for comparison of the sx50 to the longer zoom sx60/70.  She is a very experienced canon shooter and produces birding books.  She has lots of tips to get the most from the sx50.

DA

da7329 wrote:

You might check out stokesbirdingblog for comparison of the sx50 to the longer zoom sx60/70. She is a very experienced canon shooter and produces birding books. She has lots of tips to get the most from the sx50.

DA

Thanks  she is why I bought my first sx50

-- hide signature --

Ellie

jshen808

arrow501 wrote:

jshen808 wrote:

Elliern wrote:

Hi Ellie,

Cheers!

Yes, if read those threads again,

I had described using the lens filter,

Hoya HD3 UV lens filter on all of the,

SX50/60/70 cameras with good results.

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Cheers, John

Sactojim Veteran Member • Posts: 8,543

Woody S wrote:

Congratulations on such a well written and laid out blog! I read and enjoyed every bit of it. I love how you gave the reader a comment on the various people and this is a nice personal touch. I look forward to reading every years work.

Regarding the Canon SX50: I've owned two and now one and was without with a few years having sold them. The newer SX70's evf and performance is a big improvement over the SX50. I do like the output of the SX50's images, but really it's so close to the SX70's images from the samples I've see, that the SX70 would be my choice no question as it's a more modern camera with better performance overall, especially the evf. No wrong choice with either, although finding a pristine SX50 nowadays is not easy. Mine makes a somewhat grinding noise in the zoom and if it fails, I won't be surprised,

A few of my SX50 favorites below

Woody S

Thanks for the kind words about my blog.Those are beautiful images from your SX50 -- well done. There's a YouTube post on disassembling an SX50 to clean the lens assembly -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gje1QFH0f3w. I may just try it on my old SX50, if it doesn't help I wouldn't be out anything since the lens has extension issues now and I prefer the SX70.

-- hide signature --
arrow501 Contributing Member • Posts: 895

jshen808 wrote:

arrow501 wrote:

jshen808 wrote:

Elliern wrote:

Hi Ellie,

Cheers!

Yes, if read those threads again,

I had described using the lens filter,

Hoya HD3 UV lens filter on all of the,

SX50/60/70 cameras with good results.

Cheers!

Thank you.

arrow501's gear list:arrow501's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX240 HS Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads