Canon EOS R5 IBIS issue?

Started Mar 23, 2021 | Discussions
juanmaasecas Senior Member • Posts: 1,453
Canon EOS R5 IBIS issue?

Recently I bought a second handed R5 and I am loving the camera so far, but I found something funny happening with IBIS.

- When IBIS is set to always on, most of the time (but not absolutely always), after taking the first picture, the sensor “twists”. If I take more pictures without refocusing, the rest are fine, but after the first one, I can see a twist in the screen (noticeable near the edges) when it shows live feed again.

- When IBIS is set to only during shot, there is no problem.

I tested this with different lenses, in both electronic and EFCS, and there seems to be a software bug I guess when IBIS is always ON.

Anyone else has the same experience? The IBIS in this camera is magnificent otherwise, it is easily 2 stops better than the Sonys I previously have, but having it on always ON is more convenient for stability during composition, and I found sometimes blurred pictures (near edges, in the center is not that visible) that shouldn’t be.

I will try to reinstall the latest firmware to see if it fixes things.

Edit: Reinstalled, same issue.

Here you can see an example of what I am talking about (500x500 pixels crop near the corner, af point set there).

juanmaasecas's gear list:juanmaasecas's gear list
Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +4 more
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Rawpaul
Rawpaul Senior Member • Posts: 2,558
Re: Canon EOS R5 IBIS issue?

what  shutter mode  did you use ?

-- hide signature --

light is the source of all life.....

Rawpaul's gear list:Rawpaul's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon EOS R5 Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +6 more
OP juanmaasecas Senior Member • Posts: 1,453

Rawpaul wrote:

what shutter mode did you use ?

It happens both in electronic and EFCS.

Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +4 more
Rawpaul

juanmaasecas wrote:

Rawpaul wrote:

ok , so that can,t be the problem.

And RF or Ef native lenses ?

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS M5 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon EOS R5 Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +6 more

Rawpaul wrote:

juanmaasecas wrote:

Rawpaul wrote:

For sure it happens with the Sigma 35 and EF 50 1.2, I will double check later with my other lenses.

Rawpaul

juanmaasecas wrote:

Rawpaul wrote:

juanmaasecas wrote:

Rawpaul wrote:

For sure it happens with the Sigma 35 and EF 50 1.2, I will double check later with my other lenses.

Ok , really strange ... i haven't had the issue myself.

But that said i don't use slow shutterspeeds that much.

Do you own RF lenses ? maybe try that too .

-- hide signature --

Rawpaul wrote:

juanmaasecas wrote:

Rawpaul wrote:

juanmaasecas wrote:

Rawpaul wrote:

Quickly tested my other lenses.

Tamron 17-35: Happens all the time

Sigma 85 1.4 ART: Happens most of the time, but sometimes it does not.

Tamron 35-150: It doesn't happen (maybe this lens is only using lens IS?

It is very funny because it consistently happens only during the first picture I took when IBIS is set to always. If I keep the shutter pressed half and take more pictures, they all are sharp, and if IBIS is set to one shot, they all are sharp. That leads me to think it should be a software issue, right? But if no one else can replicate what I am seeing, it is really weird.

It is very obious when reviewing images, because the one with the issue is clearly a bit twisted compared to the rest, visible even before magnification.

I don't have any native RF lens to test.

I use the control ring adapter original from Canon.

Rawpaul

juanmaasecas wrote:

Rawpaul wrote:

juanmaasecas wrote:

Rawpaul wrote:

juanmaasecas wrote:

Rawpaul wrote:

Quickly tested my other lenses.

Tamron 17-35: Happens all the time

Sigma 85 1.4 ART: Happens most of the time, but sometimes it does not.

Tamron 35-150: It doesn't happen (maybe this lens is only using lens IS?

It is very funny because it consistently happens only during the first picture I took when IBIS is set to always. If I keep the shutter pressed half and take more pictures, they all are sharp, and if IBIS is set to one shot, they all are sharp. That leads me to think it should be a software issue, right? But if no one else can replicate what I am seeing, it is really weird.

It is very obious when reviewing images, because the one with the issue is clearly a bit twisted compared to the rest, visible even before magnification.

I don't have any native RF lens to test.

I use the control ring adapter original from Canon.

This is really weird !!

So it could maybe have something to do with 3th party lenses.

i myself use mainly RF lenses exept for a Sigma 150-600 C , wich i havent used on my R5 yet....

Maybe someone here has got the answer .... or else ask Canon ..

anyway good luck with it man !!!!

-- hide signature --

bigshledge Contributing Member • Posts: 590

Some 3rd party lenses may not work properly with IBIS.
For example, I tried an old Sigma 17-35 on my R6. IBIS works fine at 35mm, but shakes like crazy at 17mm. You could see it bouncing about on the EVF before even taking the photo.

Others, like my Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art or 150-600mm, work perfectly.

If you have more recent 3rd party lenses, best to update firmware and see if that makes things better. If not, not much you can do unfortunately!

bigshledge's gear list:bigshledge's gear list
Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C +3 more

ashbashbeard wrote:

For example, I tried an old Sigma 17-35 on my R6. IBIS works fine at 35mm, but shakes like crazy at 17mm. You could see it bouncing about on the EVF before even taking the photo.

If you have more recent 3rd party lenses, best to update firmware and see if that makes things better. If not, not much you can do unfortunately!

It happens with the Canon Ef 50 1.2

it’s only for the first picture when ibis is always on. The rest of the pictures or when ibis is on shot are just fine.

all my lenses are updated to the latest version.

lawny13 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,103

juanmaasecas wrote:

ashbashbeard wrote:

it’s only for the first picture when ibis is always on. The rest of the pictures or when ibis is on shot are just fine.

Call canon. Do you have the option of returning the camera?

With a prime lens that doesn't have IS there simply shouldn't be a problem. IBIS uses electro magnetic motors to float/manipulate/stabilize the sensor. So to me this sounds like an issue with how the camera is driving those motors. Think current spikes or overshoot. For example you may have a device that is rated to run on 1 amp (for example). However, when you turn it on or off there is usually a spike. It is the same when driving motors the current delivered can fluctuate.

If this is what is going on, then it may be a hardware issue you simply can't fix via FW. Or it needs to be calibrated etc. So if I were you I would reach out asap to have it checked, return it if you can, get it fixed under warrantee, or something like that. 
The R5 was released July 2020, so it should still be under warrantee.

lawny13 wrote:

juanmaasecas wrote:

ashbashbeard wrote:

With a prime lens that doesn't have IS there simply shouldn't be a problem. IBIS uses electro magnetic motors to float/manipulate/stabilize the sensor. So to me this sounds like an issue with how the camera is driving those motors. Think current spikes or overshoot. For example you may have a device that is rated to run on 1 amp (for example). However, when you turn it on or off there is usually a spike. It is the same when driving motors the current delivered can fluctuate.

If this is what is going on, then it may be a hardware issue you simply can't fix via FW. Or it needs to be calibrated etc. So if I were you I would reach out asap to have it checked, return it if you can, get it fixed under warrantee, or something like that.

Yes it’s under warranty, but I wanted to check if it’s a general issue in the latest firmware, that’s why I’m asking here first. Also in Fredmiranda someone described a similar issue as well (shooting stars).

I’ll wait a couple of weeks (a mew firmware is supposed to be coming soon) and otherwise I’ll call Canon.

Sittatunga Veteran Member • Posts: 4,350

ashbashbeard wrote:

According to this eight year old blog https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/08/canon-illumination-correction-and-third-party-lenses/, a lot of third party lenses lie to the camera about their identities.  Your 17-35mm isn't mentioned, but the Sigma wide-angles that are listed identified themselves to the camera as the Canon EF 85mm f/1.2.  Not surprising that it's bouncing around at 17mm if the camera thinks it's an 85mm.

juanmaasecas wrote:

lawny13 wrote:

juanmaasecas wrote:

ashbashbeard wrote:

Yes it’s under warranty, but I wanted to check if it’s a general issue in the latest firmware, that’s why I’m asking here first. Also in Fredmiranda someone described a similar issue as well (shooting stars).

I’ll wait a couple of weeks (a mew firmware is supposed to be coming soon) and otherwise I’ll call Canon.

I get why you would ask on here first. And of course it is always ok to do so.

My point is the behaviour you are seeing it most definitely not acceptable. Fleeting moments can be some of the best shots people take. It would be very crappy if most of those first shots come out as out of focus due to sensor motion blur. 
If it was a normal occurrence canon would have faced hell because for the price of the R5, or any camera with IBIS actually, it would just not be acceptable. 
As for wait a few weeks. I still won't if I were you. Say you wait a few weeks, and the FW doesn't fix it, you may still end up with more weeks to wait. All the while having a camera that is under performing.

Perhaps most important. This issue is not wide spread, this is the first I hear of it. Others on here also seem to not be aware this was even an issue for some people. This would indicate that the FW would likely then be less likely to fix it.

Here is an image I took today with the R5. It is the first image in the sequence I took. It was a fleeting moment, and basically just for the heck of it.

Same shot, but heavily cropped in

This is what I (and I think the rest of us) expect of the R5. This was with the RF 50 f1.8. The images are not edited, so no sharping applied.

I work as an engineer in the high tech industry. My advice comes from thinking about these things in that perspective. Even if the new FW were to do something about it, I would still contact canon. There may be underlying issues that come to bite you later when you are no longer covered under warrantee. Like an early failure of the EM motors. If canon tells you it is not big deal... then fine. But more than likely they will ask you to send it in. 
Just my 2 cents.

Sittatunga wrote:

ashbashbeard wrote:

According to this eight year old blog https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/08/canon-illumination-correction-and-third-party-lenses/, a lot of third party lenses lie to the camera about their identities. Your 17-35mm isn't mentioned, but the Sigma wide-angles that are listed identified themselves to the camera as the Canon EF 85mm f/1.2. Not surprising that it's bouncing around at 17mm if the camera thinks it's an 85mm.

He sees this with the EF 50 f1.2. Its OEM, and it has no IS. So it really is the camera.

William Woodruff Contributing Member • Posts: 956

juanmaasecas wrote:

lawny13 wrote:

juanmaasecas wrote:

ashbashbeard wrote:

Where the problem is happening with 3rd party lenses, or even with older Canon lenses, Canon might not care about this.  If you have this problem with RF lenses, they should be all over it.

-- hide signature --

WLW

William Woodruff's gear list:William Woodruff's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5
Sittatunga Veteran Member • Posts: 4,350

lawny13 wrote:

Sittatunga wrote:

ashbashbeard wrote:

According to this eight year old blog https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/08/canon-illumination-correction-and-third-party-lenses/, a lot of third party lenses lie to the camera about their identities. Your 17-35mm isn't mentioned, but the Sigma wide-angles that are listed identified themselves to the camera as the Canon EF 85mm f/1.2. Not surprising that it's bouncing around at 17mm if the camera thinks it's an 85mm.

He sees this with the EF 50 f1.2. Its OEM, and it has no IS. So it really is the camera.

The twisting is definitely the camera.  That's not the bit I was responding to.  Bouncing around is more likely to be over-correction because the actual focal length of the lens is a lot less than the focal length told to to the IBIS.  The IBIS would under-correct if it thought the focal length were shorter than the actual focal length.  That's why, if you're using an adapted zoom lens with no electronics, it's better to tell the camera that the focal length is near the short end of the zoom.

William Woodruff wrote:

juanmaasecas wrote:

lawny13 wrote:

juanmaasecas wrote:

ashbashbeard wrote:

Where the problem is happening with 3rd party lenses, or even with older Canon lenses, Canon might not care about this. If you have this problem with RF lenses, they should be all over it.

I will state it again... It messes with a fixed EF lens that doesn't have IS. There is absolutely no technical reason why the IBIS would be doing this unless there is a problem with it. So it is performing in a manner out of spec. 
I don't see a reason why OP won't see the same thing happening with an EF 100 L, or EF 50 f1.8 original or mkII etc etc. I would even be willing to bet that the camera will also have an issue even with the RF 50. It knows the FL, the FL doesn't fluctuate since it is a prime lens. Canon knows the protocol of its own lenses. And for it to be stable during all shots but the first... it really does point to a HW issue. Either replacement or calibration is needed.

Note that I have shot sigma and tamron lenses on the R5 without experiencing any of what the OP is stating.

Sittatunga wrote:

lawny13 wrote:

Sittatunga wrote:

ashbashbeard wrote:

The twisting is definitely the camera. That's not the bit I was responding to. Bouncing around is more likely to be over-correction because the actual focal length of the lens is a lot less than the focal length told to to the IBIS. The IBIS would under-correct if it thought the focal length were shorter than the actual focal length. That's why, if you're using an adapted zoom lens with no electronics, it's better to tell the camera that the focal length is near the short end of the zoom.

True... but this is the EF 50 f1.2. Canon protocols between adapter, lens and camera.

If this was a 3rd party lens issue only, then I would say the OP doesn't have a leg to stand on. But canon sold the RF system as seamlessly adapting EF lenses. So I would expect for them to honour that. There should be no reason for the IBIS to be over correcting on any canon EF lenses. There might be a select few where there are issues. but from what I have heard the EF 50 f1.2 is flawlessly adapted to RF systems. Hence my concern for OP.

Otherwise I would agree with you.

Anyway. I was only saying what I would definitely do if I were in his shows. My R5 performed flawlessly since day 1 with all FW (once the 3rd party lens FWs were updated to cope). All canon glass EF and RF have no issues. Had I noticed OP's issues with any EF lenses I would have contacted canon immediately or the shop and exchanged in the camera for another.

Yes you’re right, I’ll contact Canon. What I’m doing right now to skip the issue is to shoot with ibis for shot only instead if always.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads