Fujinon lenses with organic rendering like 35mm 1.4

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
ayolos New Member • Posts: 16
Fujinon lenses with organic rendering like 35mm 1.4

Hi,

I tested different lenses and i noticed they have all a different rendering.

my favorites renderings comes from CY lenses, canon L lenses (like 135 L) and fuji 35mm 1.4. each in a different way.

fuji 35mm 1.4 is close to 3D CY rendering but with more sharpness and less colors. each have their signature.

my question is, if i like the rendering of the 35mm 1.4 and the zeiss rendering, which lenses form fuji (or adaptaded metabones CY?) do you recommend for other FOV).

I read that a lot of fuji lenses that have a clinical look. i don't like clinical, i want character and art. 35mm 1.4 combien sharpness and art to my mind.

what other lenses in the lineup share this capacity? zoom or prime.

i tried 27mm 2.8 and 18-55mm. for me 27mm was flat but 18-55 had a little character, but not like fuji 35 1.4 or CY lenses.

Porquinho Contributing Member • Posts: 761
Re: Fujinon lenses with organic rendering like 35mm 1.4

Check out Rask's review of the new XF50/1. I think the says this new 50/1 has the XF35/1.4 style rendering.

Porquinho's gear list:Porquinho's gear list
Samsung TL500 Leica D-LUX 5 Fujifilm X-S1 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X20 +13 more
Adoubeur
Adoubeur Forum Member • Posts: 82

In my opinion, the 3 lenses which were launched with the Fuji X system in 2012 have this "3d organic" look :

- the 35 F/1,4

- the 18 F/2

- the 60 mm macro F/2,4

The 56 F/1,2 and the 23 F/1,4 have beautiful rendering too !

Adoubeur's gear list:Adoubeur's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +9 more
JayNGu
JayNGu Regular Member • Posts: 210

I'll second the 60/2.4. Fantastic rendering.

JayNGu's gear list:JayNGu's gear list
Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
Rightsaidfred
Rightsaidfred Senior Member • Posts: 1,081
Maybe also the XF 16-55 f/2.8, and the KamLan 50 mm f/1.1 Mk II

Agree with the XF 35 mm f/1.4. It's just fantastic.

Maybe the XF 16-55 f/2.8 has "it", too. I went for it and am curious to see. Joachim has posted stunning images recently: 16-55 vs 18-55 reality check .

Other than that, I find my KamLan 50 mm f/1.1 Mk II to have a very pleasing, very special rendering. A mixture of softness and sharpness and pleasing colors. It is very dfficult to describe.

I don't believe in magic. I have a PhD in chemistry and am a manager in industry. But there are definitely differences in rendering of lenses.

BR,

Martin

Rightsaidfred's gear list:Rightsaidfred's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Venus Laowa 15mm F4 Macro +5 more
EOS GUY
EOS GUY Senior Member • Posts: 4,420

A, Rendering is so subjective ask a thousand people and get lots of different answers

B. Magical rendering, 3-d micro pop, micro contrast pop, fairy pixels and unicorn rendering etc are things more to do with subject, light, field of view and distance to and between subject and background in this good light

C. If you see it you see it

I did a little experiment. When I saw medium format reviews I saw this magical MF 3-d look in the sample gallery photos!

Wow right!?

Then I decided to open up tabs from sample photos in reviews of m43, apsc, ff and MF cameras and let myself not read which were which.

All good photos from ALL formats and lenses had the magical medium format micro contrast magical 3-d pop look and non good photos in drab light from all formats and different lenses did not.

Go to the GFX or Leica forum and you can prove these magical looks or rendering completely wrong by seeing bad photos taken with excellent gear. Now I am not saying all the photos in those forums are bad, but some are and this blows away the medium format look theory or Leica micro contrast 3-d pop look etc....

A lot of people invest in better gear and then their photography comes better due to the emotional and financial commitment they have made to 'do better.'

I've seen this in my own photos when I bought an F2.8 zoom and was amazed at how better the photos were than the kit lens. Then later years later looked back and realised the kit lens photos were just as good a lot of the time (not blown up at 100% or over and really peeping and poking for differences of course.)

Or not.

What do I know

Cheers!

As an aside - I do respect that for example the 35mm F1,4 will render less contrasty SOOC than the F2's and of course the bokeh will be different, less contrasty and a different rendering indeed.

-- hide signature --

My Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/photonicstreetdreams/
The earth laughs in flowers.
-Ralph Waldo Emmerson
Before you say (or post in our context) = THINK.
Is what you're going to say - True. Helpful. Important (or Inspiring.) Necessary. Kind.
I have G.A.S, - gear avoidance syndrome.

EOS GUY's gear list:EOS GUY's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM +6 more
yardcoyote Forum Pro • Posts: 13,713

Try the 60mm f/2.4.

-- hide signature --

Instagram: @yardcoyote

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-M1 +18 more
Austin CB Regular Member • Posts: 353

Good post.

I do think the original three lenses had a slightly different rendering that sacrificed corners/sharpness for a pleasing overall look. Perhaps a little less "flat" than some of the f2 primes or what I see with my 27mm.

biza43 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,702

As a starting point, better the OP to define:

- Organic rendering

- Associated illustrative photos

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Carl Zeiss C Sonnar T* 1,5/50 ZM Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +1 more
io_bg
io_bg Senior Member • Posts: 1,228

I see you mentioned the 27 pancake lacks '3d pop'. I have the lens and I like its rendering, here's an example.

Does this shot have enough micro-contrast and 3d pop?

io_bg's gear list:io_bg's gear list
Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 II +8 more
OP ayolos New Member • Posts: 16

"

As a starting point, better the OP to define:

- Organic rendering

- Associated illustrative photos"

These shot are in classic chrome because this film simulation is the best to render shadows and highlights. it add a little 3Dness to pictures also. paired with the 35mm 1.4, i guess i'm close to what i get with the jpeg (or DPP) of the 5D classic in 3D and colors fidelity. These shots are filmic to me, it's what i'm seeking.

Aperture 1.4 has a lot to do with that look, but it's not all the aperture, there's something in the amount of element in the glass and coating that give the ultimate look i like. I have too with the 7artisans 25mm 1.8 but corners are totaly destroyed even if center rendering is gorgeous.

PaleRiderBaden Regular Member • Posts: 135

I took picture of beach with Fujifilm 1.4/35mm lens and it was total non-organic looking.

Very disapointed. I felt it looks more silicon based.

-- hide signature --

Lurker, not much a poster

PaleRiderBaden's gear list:PaleRiderBaden's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon Z7 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +6 more
Mr Bolton Senior Member • Posts: 1,088

io_bg wrote:

I see you mentioned the 27 pancake lacks '3d pop'. I have the lens and I like its rendering, here's an example.

Does this shot have enough micro-contrast and 3d pop?

Enough that I just had to run over and open up the freezer for some ice cream!

Mr Bolton's gear list:Mr Bolton's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +1 more
JayPhizzt Senior Member • Posts: 2,072

ayolos wrote:

Hi,

my favorites renderings comes from CY lenses, canon L lenses (like 135 L) and fuji 35mm 1.4. each in a different way.

fuji 35mm 1.4 is close to 3D CY rendering but with more sharpness and less colors. each have their signature.

my question is, if i like the rendering of the 35mm 1.4 and the zeiss rendering, which lenses form fuji (or adaptaded metabones CY?) do you recommend for other FOV).

I read that a lot of fuji lenses that have a clinical look. i don't like clinical, i want character and art. 35mm 1.4 combien sharpness and art to my mind.

i tried 27mm 2.8 and 18-55mm. for me 27mm was flat but 18-55 had a little character, but not like fuji 35 1.4 or CY lenses.

When it comes to Fuji lenses the 50/1 and the 60/2.4 macro both have similiar "magic" to that of the 35/1.4.

Another lens available for Fuji X that definitely has "magic" is the Mitakon 35/0.95. It has beautiful color rendering and a wonderful bokeh. I would even say that it has more character than any Fuji lens.

JayPhizzt's gear list:JayPhizzt's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 80mm F2.8 Macro
Rightsaidfred
Inorganic beach :)

PaleRiderBaden wrote:

I took picture of beach with Fujifilm 1.4/35mm lens and it was total non-organic looking.

Maybe it was due to the beach? Or the weather? Or the PP?

I am happy with that lens.

Martin

Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Venus Laowa 15mm F4 Macro +5 more
biza43 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,702

Thanks for the clarification. Part of the look you like is due to under correction of optical defects, like the noticeable purple fringing in the boy's shirt, the green fringing in the tree trunks, plus the coloured outline in the out of focus blobs.

Besides these, other lenses also display a "halo" around highlight areas when wide open. Which also contributes to the look.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Carl Zeiss C Sonnar T* 1,5/50 ZM Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +1 more
Mr Bolton Senior Member • Posts: 1,088

JayPhizzt wrote:

ayolos wrote:

Hi,

When it comes to Fuji lenses the 50/1 and the 60/2.4 macro both have similiar "magic" to that of the 35/1.4.

Another lens available for Fuji X that definitely has "magic" is the Mitakon 35/0.95. It has beautiful color rendering and a wonderful bokeh. I would even say that it has more character than any Fuji lens.

"Character" as in older, uncorrected designs and their optical flaws   I'm not disagreeing with you, BTW, or bagging on the Mitakon lens.  Just observing what a lot of folks find interesting/desirable versus the extensive, expensive optical corrective formulas in modern first party glass.

Mr Bolton's gear list:Mr Bolton's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +1 more
Rightsaidfred
Character involves bokeh (IMO)

Mr Bolton wrote:
"Character" as in older, uncorrected designs and their optical flaws I'm not disagreeing with you, BTW, or bagging on the Mitakon lens. Just observing what a lot of folks find interesting/desirable versus the extensive, expensive optical corrective formulas in modern first party glass.

Agree Mr. Bolton

I would add the bokeh.

I think there are at least a few parameters to describe at least parts of a bokeh (maybe not all-encompassing). Just look at the tests from Opticallimits.

Greetings,

Martin
--
https://500px.com/bachrocks
https://100asa.com/photographer/martin
https://www.instagram.com/martin.lang.photography

Truman Prevatt
Truman Prevatt Forum Pro • Posts: 12,193
Re: Inorganic beach :)

Rightsaidfred wrote:

PaleRiderBaden wrote:

Martin

I think he was referring to a beach is covered with sand which is silicon dioxide.  interesting enough carbon dioxide is considered an inorganic rather than organic compound.  ;-).

-- hide signature --

"The winds of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears," Arabic Proverb
__
Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +12 more
Rightsaidfred
Re: Inorganic beach :)

Truman Prevatt wrote:

Rightsaidfred wrote:

PaleRiderBaden wrote:

Martin

I think he was referring to a beach is covered with sand which is silicon dioxide. interesting enough carbon dioxide is considered an inorganic rather than organic compound. ;-).

Haha yes you're right. And SiO2 is truly inorganic. Well, nature doesn't care about our artificial classifications

OTOH is is a history lesson. The classification into inorganic and organic materials is an old one. Chemists believed for a long time that there was a special energy in the organic compounds.

Kind regards,

Martin
(Chemist)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads