From D800E user need advice

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Harry799 New Member • Posts: 20
From D800E user need advice

Hi guys, I love to read comments on DPreview forum since 2010. I am a hobbiest photographer, and a retired businessman,  my subject mostly landscape some times potrait, family and models. ...Thinking for upgrading my D800E for better result, but so far still not sure, as I am still happy with D800E result, only if comparing autofocus to newer model I do agree AF on D800E is already outdated. Anyone can giving advice ?

Do I need to upgrade now ? or not. I had a big hand, and do feel the uncomfortable of handling that Z6/Z7, weight of DSLR so far not borthering me.

If I need to upgrade, what model is better for my need to D810 or go straight to D850 or even need to consider the mirrorless Z7 or Z7II ?

Hope I got some respond and good advice  Thanks before guys.

MOD TOF guy Forum Pro • Posts: 16,128
Re: From D800E user need advice

You have several options to consider:

• Continue with the D800e, why break what's working?
  • A used D810, which for *me* was a significant upgrade over the D800e
  • A D850
  • The D850's successor is supposed to be out this year, so wait for that camera to be out (caveat: it's a very plausible rumor but still just a rumor)
  • The Z7II

My *personal* choice would be between the last 2: since you're happy with the D800e, waiting a few months should not be a problem. You can at that time get an even better dSLR. Besides, the D850 price will then come down if you still decide to go that way.

Before splurging for a Z7II you may want to make sure that you like EVF. The Z7 II AF--C performance is behind that of a dSLR for difficult subjects. And you need to purchase the FTZ adapter for your F lens. Make sure they are compatible or you will have to replace them as well. Apart from the EVF / AF-C /  FTZ adapter conundrum, the Z7 II offers valuable features such as AF sensors covering the entire VF, focus peaking, eye-AF (the D850 has it but it works well only if the subject head fills up a large part of the screen), etc., and is the future-proof choice.

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +6 more
Parry Johnson
Parry Johnson Senior Member • Posts: 1,951

Welcome (finally!) to the forums, Harry.

I bought my D800 in 2012, and I'm still happy with the results, although there are times I would like a new camera.  Like Thierry said, it's a good idea to wait if you can.  Nikon is going to continue to develop DSLRs, at least in the short term.  There will likely be at least one last "pull all the stops" body that will check all the boxes you may wish to have.  If not, the D850 and Z7II are still very good options.

The key factor, of course, is lenses.  If you were like me, you may already have a rather good set of AFS and AF-D or older lenses that work well, but changing to a Z body would be restrictive (unless perhaps you plan to also adapt from other mounts).

Parry Johnson's gear list:Parry Johnson's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7100 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +21 more
OP Harry799 New Member • Posts: 20

Hi Parry Johnson,

Thanks for the warm welcome...

I don't think I am going to spend money for the D850 successor at this time, but after read TOF guy advice, and yours, I rather to choose among D810 or D850. For what I do, it's not necessary to have top of the lines gears, although it is tempting...., lol. Yes. I will take your advice to wait few months or so and see how the successor of D850 will look like.

Thanks Parry

Hi TOF guy,

Thanks for the detail advice, it describe what's in my mind. Your advice gave me more clear picture for the benefit & problem to choose D850 and Z7. but for D810 really a great improvement over D800E ? those improvement... in performance or in IQ ?

MOD TOF guy Forum Pro • Posts: 16,128

Harry799 wrote:

D810 really a great improvement over D800E ? those improvement... in performance or in IQ ?

This review does a great job of explaining the differences.

Changes that mattered a lot to me:

• The camera body has been slightly redesigned between the D800 and the D810, with a bulkier grip and a better oriented shutter button. In my hands, I would get cramps in my hands with the D800e,  after holding it for 15 minutes,, but could shoot with the D810  for hours w/o problem.
  • The shutter sound, much less noticeable 
  • The AF reliability

And some others I can't think of right now, it's been a while since I've switched.

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +6 more
(unknown member) Forum Member • Posts: 86
no

Harry799 wrote:

I am still happy with D800E result

While I certainly can't speak to anyone's personal situation other than my own, I would suggest that your above comment makes it difficult to establish a valid need for an upgrade.

In my view, an upgrade should either:

1. address some clearly identifiable shortcoming in current equipment or provide some sort of clearly identifiable added capability

or

2. you just want to buy the damn thing

As I find myself falling into 2 much more often than 1, do as I say, not as I do.

On the other hand, if you just enjoy having the newest shiny object (I certainly do), then by all means do so.

I would suggest that a thorough investigation of mirrorless is called for. Many, myself included, simply don't like EVF. I have a body with one, a Hasselblad X1D II, and I put up with it because otherwise the camera works for me, but at the very least go to a Best Buy or someplace and play with one before selecting mirrorless.

Regarding a DSLR upgrade, it's my belief that skipping generations of bodies offers some benefits. Thus, while we had both D800 and D800e, we skipped the D810 in favor of the D850.

Watching the rumors about what specifications may be present in the forthcoming D880 or whatever it will be called, for me there doesn't seem to be anything added that would be sufficient benefit to spend the money. YMMV.

Also, it might not hurt to investigate Fuji MF.

-- hide signature --
Parry Johnson

Harry799 wrote:

Hi Parry Johnson,

Thanks for the warm welcome...

I don't think I am going to spend money for the D850 successor at this time, but after read TOF guy advice, and yours, I rather to choose among D810 or D850. For what I do, it's not necessary to have top of the lines gears, although it is tempting...., lol. Yes. I will take your advice to wait few months or so and see how the successor of D850 will look like.

Thanks Parry

You're welcome.  I've also thought about the D810, and decided that there's not enough difference between it and the D800/e, at least not new.   However.... I saw one recently with only 27 000 shutter count for $1250 CAD, which is under $1000 US.  At that price (and in comparison to my D800 with 60 000 count), then that's one way to get a few more years of use out of both cameras without breaking the bank, and still waiting (and saving money) for an improved new body.

To me, the only real advantages of the D810 are a bit faster shooting, WIFI, and the ability to connect to the new streaming software.  Other than that, there is little gain in image quality.

Another thing to consider is lenses.  When I upgraded from a D300/D300s to the D800, I spent another $5000 in new lenses (and another $2000 in computers and software).   That was a big difference; and although the step isn't as great to the 46MP D850, if you still haven't upgraded older lenses then you will need to do that for sure.

Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7100 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +21 more
stretchman Senior Member • Posts: 1,173
Re: no

I am a long time user of the D800e and can attest that it is a wonderful camera and has taken some fantastic images for me. About 5 months ago I took advantage of the rebate Nikon was offering and purchased a new D850.

Of course I had heard the great reviews about the D850 and it's image quality and 5 months later I am still amazed at the incredible images that it produces. As someone who shoots landscapes I'm guessing that this will be my go to camera for a long time. Still have the D800e as my backup camera.

-- hide signature --

“A good photograph is knowing where to stand.” – Ansel Adams

stretchman's gear list:stretchman's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D850
BrownieVet Senior Member • Posts: 3,812

Parry Johnson wrote:

Another thing to consider is lenses. When I upgraded from a D300/D300s to the D800, I spent another $5000 in new lenses (and another $2000 in computers and software). That was a big difference; and although the step isn't as great to the 46MP D850, if you still haven't upgraded older lenses then you will need to do that for sure.

I'm sure you were aware that the DX lenses you used with your D300 are compatible with your D800, although crops to DX format by default.  While you could disable the Auto-DX and shoot in FX format with your DX lenses, you elected to buy FX lenses.  Since D800 and D850 are both FX bodies,  all the FX lenses you have for your D800 are 100% compatible with the D850,  and possible the successor to D850.
As for your computer hardware and software,  it depends on what you had before acquiring the D800.
More often than not,  many individuals overlooked or ignored the possibility of increasing the RAM and / or avoid running too many multiple apps in the background.  Sometime,  clearing the cache is a quick remedy to slow computer.
Sadly, some computers older than 10 years cannot take the newer (latest) Operating System required by the latest updates to the photo editors.  That is a bummer that forces computer hardware upgrade. 
I was forced to abandon my Nikon Capture NX-2 when it became incompatible with the OS upgrade to my Apple Mac. But that is another issue separate from the OP's objective.

Parry Johnson

BrownieVet wrote:

Parry Johnson wrote:

Another thing to consider is lenses. When I upgraded from a D300/D300s to the D800, I spent another $5000 in new lenses (and another $2000 in computers and software). That was a big difference; and although the step isn't as great to the 46MP D850, if you still haven't upgraded older lenses then you will need to do that for sure.

I'm sure you were aware that the DX lenses you used with your D300 are compatible with your D800, although crops to DX format by default.

The majority of my lenses were older FX lenses at that time.  Although they worked well on DX bodies (I still used film cameras as well), they showed limitations or I didn't have "equivalent" lenses for FX format.  E.g. My Tamron 17-50 f2.8 VC was not like the 28-105D I was using with my D800, so I bought the 24-70G.

While you could disable the Auto-DX and shoot in FX format with your DX lenses, you elected to buy FX lenses. Since D800 and D850 are both FX bodies, all the FX lenses you have for your D800 are 100% compatible with the D850, and possible the successor to D850.
As for your computer hardware and software, it depends on what you had before acquiring the D800.
More often than not, many individuals overlooked or ignored the possibility of increasing the RAM and / or avoid running too many multiple apps in the background. Sometime, clearing the cache is a quick remedy to slow computer.

Nope.  Although my old computer worked well for Capture NX2 and PS4 (the programs I had for the D300/S), those software didn't like my D800's big raw files.  I needed an i7 processor and more disk space.  Those programs worked well after the upgrade, and I haven't had any problems since.  (Plus, it was a good excuse to get a new computer.  😉)

Sadly, some computers older than 10 years cannot take the newer (latest) Operating System required by the latest updates to the photo editors. That is a bummer that forces computer hardware upgrade.
I was forced to abandon my Nikon Capture NX-2 when it became incompatible with the OS upgrade to my Apple Mac. But that is another issue separate from the OP's objective.

That's a good reason to try other computers and operating systems such as Linux.  Sometimes the basics programs are all you need, and old standbys like Bibble 5 still work great through Linux.  It depends on your needs.

No matter what, there will need to be changes beside just the body if choosing to get a D850 -- XQD memory cards, card readers, disk space/backup storage...  Prepare to spend more than you might expect.

PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 17,803

I've got the D800e, D810 and D850.  Used each as primary camera until successor came out, then demoted camera to other shoulder.

There are definitely autofocus  improvements over the D800e, but whether or not you need them depends on what you are shooting.

Group AF gave a minor boost in the D810, which is significant if shooting flying birds.  Overall, AF is pretty much the same as the D800e.

But the D850 has a much different and faster AF than either D800e or D810.  If you need AF improvements, don't stop at the D810, go right to D850.   The speed of AF and ability to work in dim lighting or with low-contrast subjects is very noticeably better.

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net
"I miss the days when I was nostalgic."

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +37 more
stretchman Senior Member • Posts: 1,173

It's once again compatible with your OS upgrade on your Apple Mac.

-- hide signature --

“A good photograph is knowing where to stand.” – Ansel Adams

stretchman's gear list:stretchman's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D850

Thank you all for your advice , I had a clearer mind about what direction to upgrade now. I think, it looks like I need to go direct to D850, much better benefit for what I do...hope the price will came down soon as the successor launch..

Again thanks for your time and advised , guys

the author wrote:

Harry799 wrote:

I am still happy with D800E result

While I certainly can't speak to anyone's personal situation other than my own, I would suggest that your above comment makes it difficult to establish a valid need for an upgrade.

In my view, an upgrade should either:

1. address some clearly identifiable shortcoming in current equipment or provide some sort of clearly identifiable added capability

......yes I do notified the short of my D800e AF capability

or

2. you just want to buy the damn thing

As I find myself falling into 2 much more often than 1, do as I say, not as I do.

On the other hand, if you just enjoy having the newest shiny object (I certainly do), then by all means do so.

I would suggest that a thorough investigation of mirrorless is called for. Many, myself included, simply don't like EVF. I have a body with one, a Hasselblad X1D II, and I put up with it because otherwise the camera works for me, but at the very least go to a Best Buy or someplace and play with one before selecting mirrorless.

Regarding a DSLR upgrade, it's my belief that skipping generations of bodies offers some benefits. Thus, while we had both D800 and D800e, we skipped the D810 in favor of the D850.

....sound logic too

Watching the rumors about what specifications may be present in the forthcoming D880 or whatever it will be called, for me there doesn't seem to be anything added that would be sufficient benefit to spend the money. YMMV.

Also, it might not hurt to investigate Fuji MF.

Thank you

(unknown member) Forum Member • Posts: 86
Ever thought about used?

I try to buy everything I can used, and due the the forthcoming Nikon upgrade there are going to be a ton of D850's on eBay.  Already are actually, I got a second one last week.

There are plenty of photographers out there who seriously enjoy having the latest model, who don't actually use their equipment that much, and who will be looking to upgrade.  This is an outstanding time to consider a lightly used low mileage D850.

-- hide signature --
PHXAZCRAIG

the author wrote:

So does skipping two generations.   How about three?    Sounds like some sort of attempt to inject cost into the equation.

Take cost OUT of the equation.   Would you upgrade then?  Or wait for the following generation?

As one of those users who has tended to buy the latest D8xx model, I appreciate to changes made to the latest iteration of top-end DSLR's.   I look at it as being able to use a camera that stretches my boundaries and allows me to get shots I otherwise would have missed.   My D810 got me lots of BIF shots and similar that would not have been take were it not for the addition of Group AF.   And while 1 fps increase in speed isn't much, when it amounts to a 20% increase in frame rate, it's noticeable.    And though it took me some time to appreciate it, I can do more with ISO 64 images than I can with ISO 100 images.   Now some of that is because when I can, I do some pretty challenging photography - underwater.    If I were shooting static subjects in good lighting, I'd just use a cell phone.  It's when things get challenging that a new camera can stand head and shoulders above its prior model.   And if I were into video in any way, I'd probably have to be upgrading almost yearly.  (And I might look at mirrorless seriously).

The D810 to D850 transition - quite a big jump there, mainly with autofocus speed and responsiveness.   Here's a simple example of something I coulod do easily with the D850 that wasn't easy at all with the D810 - Roughhead Blennies.

Seems like a simple shot to take.  It wasn't.

In 2018 I was shooting my D810 underwater (Nauticam housing, 105vr, dual strobes).   The divemaster would point out these cute little fish that live in holes the size of a cigarette.   Unfortunately those holes tend to be located in corals that are fairly shallow, and these are areas where you tend to have some pretty good current surge.

So you want to take a shot of one of these fish, and you need to be at about minimum range (about 1 foot) to get a decent image.   The issue is that while you are focusing on the subject, that current surge is moving you back and forth by 3-4 four feet every few seconds.   You aim the camera, current sweeps you directly at the subject, all the way in for just a half-second.  You aim at the subject, hope you have the focus point where you want it (remember, you are in constant motion, including a bit of left-right twisting, then press the shutter release.

With the D810, this technique resulted in 2 well-focused images out of 30 on that day.   That was typically.   With this sort of scenario you take the shot over and over and over, trusting to luck to get a decent shot.

With the D850, I quickly realized that I only needed to make 1 or 2 attempts.  In 30 shots, 29 would be adequately in focus.    That's capability entirely related to the newer technology.

At the same time, even while maintaining dynamic range pretty similar to the D810, you get 45mp instead of 36mp.   That improves a lot of my shots simply because I crop aggressively.  (Hey, if you have only two lenses to use - 105 and 16-35 - you crop a lot.)

So I hear there is a D880 coming.  I'm highly interested, although I'm resigned to the fact that Nikon will change a button somewhere or modestly reshape the body.  Which means I would have to pony up another $3800 for a new dive housing.

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG

Harry799 wrote:

Hi TOF guy,

Thanks for the detail advice, it describe what's in my mind. Your advice gave me more clear picture for the benefit & problem to choose D850 and Z7. but for D810 really a great improvement over D800E ? those improvement... in performance or in IQ ?

The IQ of a D810 and a D800e is virtually the same.  The only place I've seen any difference at all is at base ISO, which is 64 on the D810 and 100 on the D800e.   There is more dynamic range at base in the D810.  Some of us make use of that, but it's really minor.   Video is probably much more improved, except I never use it so don't know for sure.

The difference between D800e and D810 isn't in the sensor, it's in the camera.  The D810 feels (and is) faster than the D800e, and more ... refined.   It's what the D800e should have been at release.   The frame rate and focus modes differences are useful.   Everyone says it, and it's true.  The D810 is more than the sum of its differences compared to a D800e.  It's hard to describe, but easy to feel if you use both cameras back-to-back.

The D850 is almost like a different camera.  The focus system is different, and it takes a bit of time to get used to.  It's a no-doubt improvement.

For me, the D850 finally replaces the D700 in every way.    The D800/D810 have too low a frame rate.

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

Re: Ever thought about used?

the author wrote:

I try to buy everything I can used, and due the the forthcoming Nikon upgrade there are going to be a ton of D850's on eBay. Already are actually, I got a second one last week.

There are plenty of photographers out there who seriously enjoy having the latest model, who don't actually use their equipment that much, and who will be looking to upgrade. This is an outstanding time to consider a lightly used low mileage D850.

Absolutely agree,.....after read all info n advices from all, I have decide to follow on to D850 path, and last night did think same way as you.......

With the new Z7II and upcoming new successor of D850 ,....the price surely will drop further, and good for me...... lol

Awaiting for used D850 w/mint condition......

BrownieVet Senior Member • Posts: 3,812

stretchman wrote:

It's once again compatible with your OS upgrade on your Apple Mac.

REALLY! 
My MacBookPro is 12 years old!  It can't use High Sierra and subsequent OS.  Apple store installed the Sierra   which was NOT fully compatible with Capture NX-2,  so Apple Store restored El Capitan.  When High Sierra was released,  Apple Store attempted but failed to upgrade my MacBookPro to High Sierra. Attempts to upgrade to later OS failed. There must be secrets you know that Apple and Nikon do not?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads