X-Pro 1 - an old love rediscovered. The end of my G.A.S?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
tomasography Junior Member • Posts: 40
X-Pro 1 - an old love rediscovered. The end of my G.A.S?

I have a few thoughts to share today. Please bear with me ...

I got my old X-Pro 1 out again a few days ago. I have never really used the OVF. But when I used it this time, its opened my eyes.

It feels like shooting analogue. I also deactivated the review function. I think I've already mentioned this in another post here.

It has totally changed my photography. I am stuck(ed) in the G.A.S. I've bought so many cameras in the last few years that I'm actually embarrassed.

Somehow I went round in circles once. Now I'm back to my first camera, the X-pro 1. The camera gives me a very unique photo experience. The camera feels timeless. It may have a slow autofocus, but it's fast enough compared to my analogue cameras.

Yes, with the OVF it really feels analogue. Coming home after a photo walk and developing the photos. Importing RAW files. Run my black and white preset over them and see the picture for the first time. Correct the exposure a bit in some places. This process also reminds me of the time when I developed my black and white films.

I switched from JPG back to RAW. I spent a lot of time creating the look I wanted in the camera. I never really managed to do that with FUJI. I like high contrast black and white.
It's interesting that there seems to be a reverse trend. You always read how liberating it is to shoot only JPGs.

For me it's the other way round. If the X-Pro 1 is off on the exposure, up/down the exposure slider and that's it. And there is a lot of leeway.

I like the idea of one camera, one lens. I put all my cameras and lenses in the basement. Hoping to be happy with my X-Pro1 and leave the G.A.S behind
The X-Pro 1 feels so timeless. Reduced to the most important. I can't think of any reason why I should upgrade to another camera. It is pure photography. No gimicks. The camera certainly doesn't fit all needs. But it meets mine exactly.

How are you guys doing with this? Can you relate to this with the X-Pro 1?
I would be interested in your thoughts on this.

Thank you very much!
I'm pretty new here. But I am very enthusiastic about this great forum and am happy to be able to exchange ideas with like-minded people.

Fujifilm X-Pro1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 389
I love the sensor of this generation

I don't have the Xpro 1 but the XE1.

It also gives me an analogue feel. Even the output of the photos.

Shot some experiments yesterday for my One camera one lens one year challenge

Try the Konica 40mmF1.8.  Cheap, great and analogue.

@xftales

Still pretty sharp for a 42 year old lens. F2.8

Shot through a crystal

-- hide signature --

Everywhere is home

Tom Schum
Tom Schum Forum Pro • Posts: 11,467
Re: I love the sensor of this generation

Sufstreet wrote:

I also have the X-E1 (same as X-Pro but without the OVF).  I like the look of the images too.  I will be keeping it.

I'm getting into film-like grain and find Exposure X6 has an excellent grain tool.

Hard to beat the original X-trans sensor!

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum
Copper: Mankind's favorite electrical conductor

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma dp0 Quattro Fujifilm X30 Panasonic ZS100 Sigma sd Quattro Fujifilm X-E1 +17 more
Threaded Veteran Member • Posts: 3,602
Re: X-Pro 1 - an old love rediscovered. The end of my G.A.S?

I’ve been around this full circle a few times, I’m afraid to say it’s a continuous loop.  It’s fun to pick up the older cameras - I’ve sold and re-bought the X-Pro1 a few times and still have an XE1.  For the right subject matter they’re sublime, but they can also be intensely frustrating to use in other situations, and make you want to throw them at the wall.  There’s a reason you put the X-Pro1 down previously and upgraded.

If you like the OVF and the analogue feel, consider the X-Pro3 which dials all that up to 11.  You can literally shoot with just the optical finder, no screen, no preview or review, in many ways it’s actually a simpler camera to operate than the XP1, and yet with none of the frustration or poor performance.

Threaded's gear list:Threaded's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR
PartyMonstera
PartyMonstera Forum Member • Posts: 83

I ended up liking the OVF on the XP3 wayyy more than I thought I would. It is extremely satisfying to use and to later see the photos I have taken. The way I approach taking photos has changed and I am more happy than I have ever been taking photos, even the mundane ones. It is nice to be able to pop over to EVF for a tele lens or at critical moments if needed. It feels really special to have a camera feel like it was made for exactly your needs.

I have taken to picking a lens, a film sim (usually acros), and a neighborhood to walk. After initial set up I can essentially be screen-less for the duration and I like it far more than I even thought I would. Perviously I was never in the camp of the hard core analog folks and usually got excited about new tech, but now I feel like I better see where they are coming from... I am not sure I will want another camera for a while,  although if a nice used M6 Leica comes my way I might be tempted.

PartyMonstera's gear list:PartyMonstera's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 80mm F2.8 Macro +2 more
Joe Bagadonuts Regular Member • Posts: 366
Re: I love the sensor of this generation

Sufstreet wrote:

Shot some experiments yesterday for my One camera one lens one year challenge

Try the Konica 40mmF1.8. Cheap, great and analogue.

@xftales

Still pretty sharp for a 42 year old lens. F2.8

Shot through a crystal

Great shots

EOS GUY
EOS GUY Senior Member • Posts: 4,420

I've never had G.A.S

In fact I have E>G.A.S (Extra gear avoidance syndrome)

Given that unless you are making a jump from a 1 inch sensor compact to a GFX100 - everything in between in any format from the 16 to 24mp to 100mp generation days will produce photos that look mostly the same unless requiring huge prints above A2 for 16mp and A0 for 24mp etc - I never change gear based on IQ

Since 2014 I have owned a Nikon D5300 and Sigma EX DC OS HSM 17-50mm F2.8, I then realised I loved 35mm FL so bought an Fujifilm X-100 T in about 2017. I then wanted a DSLR again so bought a Canon SL1 and 24mm F2.8 about halfway through 2018.

I then bough my X-T2 a year ago only for the larger VF and silent shutter that the SL1 did not have.

None of these purchases or changes were for IQ reasons.

(I also own an LX100 for family, social and travel 'memory snaps' as it is very small and light but is no good over ISO 1600 and has poor DR, so this is the only one I use based on not having great IQ so just for snapshots)

I love not having G.A.S

I believe it is as I have made real prints from all of my cameras and realise they all look the same with good shot technique and good lenses attached. So I'm a real world kinda guy and never poke around peeping pixels inside out etc or reading spec sheets and comparing mft charts and whatnot

-- hide signature --

My Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/photonicstreetdreams/
The earth laughs in flowers.
-Ralph Waldo Emmerson
Before you say (or post in our context) = THINK.
Is what you're going to say - True. Helpful. Important (or Inspiring.) Necessary. Kind.
I have G.A.S, - gear avoidance syndrome.

EOS GUY's gear list:EOS GUY's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Fujifilm X-T2 Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +6 more
Pocket Lint Senior Member • Posts: 1,488

It’s why I love my Xpro3. After using it for a while now, I intuitively know which settings to use under various lighting conditions. If I want to be even more critical in getting the exposure correct, sometimes I’ll switch to EVF and dial in my exposure and then switch back to the OVF.

It’s a brilliant system IMHO, one that Fuji has refined and I think having the hidden screen was a good move. I love that that I don’t have the ability to easily chimp after every shot, I focus on being immersed in the moment and the environment. It sounds cliché, but it’s true!

Pocket Lint's gear list:Pocket Lint's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm X-Pro3 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L III USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +5 more
larsbc Forum Pro • Posts: 17,271

tomasography wrote:

I got my old X-Pro 1 out again a few days ago. I have never really used the OVF. But when I used it this time, its opened my eyes.

I was excited about the OVF when I was saving up for my first Fuji, the X100V.  But once I got it, I found that I preferred to use the EVF (I've been a micro four thirds shooter for almost a decade I think, and love using EVFs).

It has totally changed my photography. I am stuck(ed) in the G.A.S. I've bought so many cameras in the last few years that I'm actually embarrassed.

I've got a wide range of great lenses for my m43 system but due to the lack of travel ops I've been doing street shooting for 99% of the past year and the X100V has been my primary camera since I got it.  The 23/2 is great for what I've been photographing and I find that 26mp gives me enough room to crop down for a tighter look.

Yes, with the OVF it really feels analogue. Coming home after a photo walk and developing the photos. Importing RAW files. Run my black and white preset over them and see the picture for the first time. Correct the exposure a bit in some places. This process also reminds me of the time when I developed my black and white films.

I switched from JPG back to RAW. I spent a lot of time creating the look I wanted in the camera. I never really managed to do that with FUJI. I like high contrast black and white.
It's interesting that there seems to be a reverse trend. You always read how liberating it is to shoot only JPGs.

I could never relate to the idea that adjusting curves and colours WHILE at the scene was more productive or enjoyable than doing it later in the comfort of my home.  My preference has always been to spend my time at the scene capturing images.  I was never under a deadline for image delivery so, for me, it made far more sense to save the adjustments for later.

When shooting street, I usually don't chimp at all.  The only time I look at my images is when I get home.

I like the idea of one camera, one lens.

Yes, the one camera / one lens thing has worked well for me.  Having 26mp helps, too.

I put all my cameras and lenses in the basement. Hoping to be happy with my X-Pro1 and leave the G.A.S behind

There are still occasions when I need something other than 35 equiv and for travel, my m43 gear is more versatile.  So it's still a valuable part (and the biggest part) of my photo system.  But the X100V is my choice for an everyday carry camera and street photo camera.

And yes, I realize it's not an XPRO 1 but the ethos is similar.

JoshuaR Regular Member • Posts: 149

I’m definitely not over my G.A.S.—I guess because I’m relatively new to photography as a really serious hobby and am still building my kit. But I’ve also embraced the analog-like approach, and use my X-Pro3 exactly as a couple of others have described in this thread: OVF whenever I can, screen closed, no review. I like this style of shooting so much that, when I use my X100V, I either keep the rear screen on the info display or turn it off altogether and use the OVF.

My one frustration with this setup is face detection. I just can’t shake the sense that it’s not working in the OVF. I take a lot of people pictures  In the OVF, the focus squares never end up on the face, even when “face detected” appears when I chimp. I find it a little mystifying! I haven’t been able to figure out for sure what’s going on.

JoshuaR's gear list:JoshuaR's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 R WR +4 more
nurseMarty Regular Member • Posts: 124

thomasography:

I am a member of GASaholics anonymous. I admit I am powerless over my addiction. I feel the urge but don’t pull the trigger. Latest urge is the Rode wireless go II. I want to do hybrid and realize the power of good audio when shooting video. Having the ability to have two microphones is important. The thing is, I’m not shooting video now. The pandemic you know. In addition, I have the wireless I and have hardly used it in the last two years. I can see the power of this bit of gear. If I purchase it, the thing would gather dust. I can look at the reviews but that is it. Went to the local camera toy store and didn’t even look for it.

Gear is a tool that makes an image possible. Nothing more. The question I ask myself is, do I need this bit of gear? Will it allow me to do something I can’t do without it? Will I derive any more pleasure owning and using it? I am an amateur so I don’t know need the best gear to create my images. Will having the f1.2 vs. the 1.8 or 2.8 really make a difference? I like fast primes but don’t need the Corvette of lenses. The same with bodies. Want the XT4. Have had IBIS and don’t want to go back. Love the flippy screen. Yet I purchased an XPRO3. I do street photography and that is the better instrument for me. Maybe in a few years, when the XT5 or 6 comes out I’ll buy one. Not until then.

Who can forget their 1st love? There is a reason for moving on. Got to try different things before you appreciate what you have.  For bodies, does it have what you need and want? The button layout. The sensor. For some the look of the body. It’s color. Love black bodies and the matching lenses. Features like IBIS. Have a Prius. Bought heated seats by accident. Can’t, or won’t, go back. I listen to CDs so I need a CD player. You get the Idea.

I have an XPRO1. Slow and clunky. It doesn’t make images so different than my 3, for me. It’s an individual thing. I’ve seen beautiful images created by old instruments. It’s what is six inches behind the camera that matters. Does the instrument blow your dress up? Does it call you to take me out and play with it? Do you love the process of creating Images with it? Do you love the results you are getting? If you are answering yes to many of the questions it isn’t simply GAS. If you have a lot of shiny objects that are gathering dust, like my rode go I, you need to find the nearest chapter of GAS Anonymous.

Enjoy your Xpro1 and share some I,ages with us.

Mask on Nurse Marty

mfoto
mfoto Contributing Member • Posts: 575

Great read, thanks. I had a somewhat similar experience when I repurchased my X-Pro1 recently. G.A.S. is hard to fight though

-- hide signature --

Morten Byskov
5050 Travelog
https://www.5050travelog.com/

mfoto's gear list:mfoto's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +1 more
OP tomasography Junior Member • Posts: 40

Thanks for so much input and postings!
Yes, perhaps I need to differentiate a little.
Maybe not everything is G.A.S.

I have my X-Pro 1 which gives me a unique (analogue) experience.
My Canon RP for daily (family) photos.
My Lumix GX80 with favorite 0.95 manual lens for my art projects.

Time for watching reviews of the Fuji X-E4. She is soooo beautiful

DarnGoodPhotos Forum Pro • Posts: 10,989

Now that the X-Pro1 has cured your G.A.S., have you considered buying the X-Pro3? 

-- hide signature --

www.darngoodphotos.com

DarnGoodPhotos's gear list:DarnGoodPhotos's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +2 more
pseudobreccia
pseudobreccia Contributing Member • Posts: 886

tomasography wrote:

It feels like shooting analogue. I also deactivated the review function. I think I've already mentioned this in another post here.

Somehow I went round in circles once. Now I'm back to my first camera, the X-pro 1. The camera gives me a very unique photo experience. The camera feels timeless. It may have a slow autofocus, but it's fast enough compared to my analogue cameras.

For me it's the other way round. If the X-Pro 1 is off on the exposure, up/down the exposure slider and that's it. And there is a lot of leeway.

I like the idea of one camera, one lens. I put all my cameras and lenses in the basement. Hoping to be happy with my X-Pro1 and leave the G.A.S behind
The X-Pro 1 feels so timeless. Reduced to the most important. I can't think of any reason why I should upgrade to another camera. It is pure photography. No gimicks. The camera certainly doesn't fit all needs. But it meets mine exactly.

Thank you very much!
I'm pretty new here. But I am very enthusiastic about this great forum and am happy to be able to exchange ideas with like-minded people.

GAS doesn't end by buying another camera...it merely advances the disease!

-- hide signature --

Steve A. Kleinheider

pseudobreccia's gear list:pseudobreccia's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro2 Pentax K-1 II +7 more
Confusedabit Senior Member • Posts: 2,410

tomasography wrote:

I daren't list all my previous kit for the same reason.

Any respite from GAS is probably only temporary I am afraid.

Going back to an old friend can help jump out of the upgrade frenzy though which is getting worst exponentially by the minute with its endless vista of cash guzzling Ks and Megapixels with no real end in sight.

Thank you very much!

Confusedabit's gear list:Confusedabit's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX620 HS Nikon Coolpix A1000 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Fujifilm X-T20 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads