FZ300.. Full-size out-of-camera jpgs (Pt.1)

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Mikedigi
Mikedigi Forum Pro • Posts: 11,150
Landscape timbers and weed

I like this pic and it demonstrates Depth of Field nicely. At f4 you have fairly shallow, at f8 you would have had deeper.

Both are good, depends what you want.

I wanted to zoom into it but you have posted it at 0.8 MP size     

Mike

Mikedigi's gear list:Mikedigi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus Stylus 1s Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
Mikedigi
Re: Clouds

Re "Yes that focused box would often obscure my subject on the 300!"

Errrrrm . . . I didn't say anything about "obscure", isn't the FZ300 focus box the same as the FZ1000-ii one?

I have just lost an hour here, I thought it was 9 am but it is 10 am. The earth did not even shudder, how do they do that?

Mike

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus Stylus 1s Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
Mikedigi
FZ330 - Snapshot of random doggie, SOOC full size

Used f6.3 to get a little more Depth of Field.

As usual - Aperture Priority Mode, Vivid Photo Style, Contrast 0, Sharpness 0, NR -5, Saturation +1, Auto White Balance 2 clicks towards Amber, no i-settings, default Highlights Shadows.

Mike

Mikedigi
FZ330 - 800 ISO SOOC Full Size, Neat Image Free

Handheld, dull corner near north-facing window, cloudy dull outside, 9 am UK Summer Time this morning.

Usual settings per my last post of Doggie.

The lighting looks exactly how I saw it.

First pic is SOOC, second is after Neat Image Free (Auto Default settings), third is comparison in Faststone Image Viewer.

SOOC full size

After Neat Image Free, simple Auto default settings

Comparison SOOC v after Neat Image Free, Auto default settings

Unlike with lots of previous FZs, the noise is fine grain and the colours are still good - spot-on, in fact.  [1600 ISO is not too bad either.]

The image stabilisation enables the 1/20 sec shutter speed, and longer.

Mike

jlina
jlina Senior Member • Posts: 1,925
Re: Clouds

I don't know I'm blonde? I did find it hilarious when I looked at the clock I actually look at for the time and then looked underneath it at a random clock and it still was an hour off.

We are not anal retentive?  .

For some reason the focus box on this camera does not obscure things I think it may be the evf which is considered considerably brighter?

I often felt like I was squinting with the 300 or looking down a dark tube. But then again B&H photos told me I got a bad camera.

Have a great short day LOL

-- hide signature --

jlina

jlina
Re: Landscape timbers and weed

Full 20 megapixel glory is here:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64985589

-- hide signature --

jlina

jlina
Re: FZ1000M2 Faststone

OMG OMG Mike!  Did you try faststone?  Your thread about painting conversion finally made me download it and I LOVE IT!!  Plus I can see histograms now

All I did here was some saturation.  Kind of glad I didn't use it until now as everything else stayed at 0 so it was good SOOC.

That random dog is a cutie!

-- hide signature --

jlina

Stevie Boy Blue Senior Member • Posts: 1,564
Re: *FAO Franno83*

Thank you, Al

I appreciate the repost and compliments regarding my images.

No worries about my having originally addressed it to Fran; it appears she has no interest in responding but I guess there’s a chance she may have overlooked my input or merely ticked the like option in acknowledgment. Plus, of course, it’s every member’s right to either ignore or reply to any contribution made by anyone. Who knows? Not to worry. With any luck, the information I supplied may be of benefit to others.

Anyway, I’m sure you’ll do just fine with your FZ300. I note that you’ve tried the FZ80 and swapped it for the canon SX70. So you know the score re filling as much of the frame as possible with the subject, which is always the key principle for recording fine fur and feather detail on a pinhead 1/2.3 sensor.

Thanks again.

Cheers

Franno83
Franno83 Contributing Member • Posts: 646

Many thanks to all those that have responded to my query. For some reason my phone has not been getting  some alerts from apps. Absolutely no offence intended to anyone and thank you to Mike for alerting me to your responses.

Best wishes

Fran

Franno83
Franno83 Contributing Member • Posts: 646

Stevie Boy Blue wrote:

It’s difficult to assess what you regard as low (poor) light.

Like you, I live in the UK and to me low light conditions are often brought about by inappropriate weather even at midday. For the purposes of this post, I’ll assume that we share the same ideas of where we’d expect to increase ISO to maintain reasonable shutter speeds at any given aperture setting. Dark cloud cover at any time will bring about that necessity, as will the period of dusk into complete darkness. Any of those to me represent low light.

Truth is, since I gave up doing portrait photography in dimly lit night clubs I rarely shoot in the dark, so let’s stick with whatever we’re likely to face whilst the sun’s still up but is either well hidden or close to setting.

Bear in mind that compared to your FZ80, either camera in which you’re interested will be an improvement under any conditions at the focal lengths that cross over – up to 400mm on the FZ1000 (2) and up to 600mm on the FZ330. Anything beyond that range is pretty much null and void except to say that you’re almost sure to miss the extra optical reach afforded by the 80, even though to me its full maximum 1200mm results are really not up to much at all and regardless of who shoots the photos. Enough on that score, though, as I’ve said all this a few times before.

Ultimately, results from either the 1000 (2) or the 330 will be less noisy and more detailed in all conditions than the 80. The 1000 (2) has a sensor almost four times larger than the 330, but it’s results will in no way be four times better overall than are achievable with the smaller model. Yes, the 1000 has slightly more dynamic range and affords more capacity for cropping images down, but the FZ330 has 200mm more optical reach and is not found wanting all that often in my experience.

As it stands, you asked about low light results from the 330. Bear in mind that my yardstick for output from any camera is its ability to render fine fur and feather detail at maximum zoom.

The OOC Jpeg shots I display below, although reduced in size for uploading purposes, show the FZ330’s capacity to record good levels of detail under what I regard as low light conditions. By all means judge for yourself whether the standard of fine detail retention is on your level and what you might expect. The key is to fill as much as the frame as possible with the subject – even with a 1inch sensor camera.

Ultimately I’d say that either camera is capable of serving you well within the FZ range’s limitations as a whole, which to me perhaps makes the FZ330 the most bang-for-the-buck prospect. When push comes to shove, though, neither the FZ1000 nor 330 are particularly great performers in seriously low light, as each model still possesses a relatively small sensor compared to serious low light kit and which tends to begin at M4/3rd size and larger. Much depends on what you personally find acceptable image quality wise and where you're headed in the future.

Good luck with your decision, Fran.I hope at least some of this post helps.

Beyond that, if you haven’t already done so, check out my review of the FZ330 here and ensure you also read a good number of the posts below it for elaboration of some of the points covered:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63244070

Furthermore, you may find my FZ2000 review useful too as a means to see what 1’’ sensor FZs can do. Having compared the FZ1000, 1000 2 and 2000 side by side in terms of handling and OOC results, I went with the 2000 for its additional video features and built-in ND filters. I’m not suggesting you should do the same, but the review may broaden your horizons, not forgetting of course that there are more compact 1” models beyond FZs that may be worth you looking at, too.

For what it’s worth, here’s a link to my FZ2000 review:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4513863

FZ330 low light examples below, from ISO 200 through to ISO 800:

The shot above of old sleepy head is a fairly large crop, which is something I rarely do.

Cheers and all the best…

Fantastic shots there Stevie and thank you so much for your detailed response, much appreciated.  I did eventually go with the FZ1000 ii.  Many apologies for not responding earlier. My phone appears to have some kind of app glitch.

Best wishes.

Fran

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads